Marlies and Prospects - Hell no! We won't go!

Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 445 times
Received rep: 308 times

Re: Marlies and Prospects - Hell no! We won't go!

Post #3901 by Curry Rage » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:30 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:Pickard and Sparks both playing great. Maybe Edmonton would like one.

I'd rather keep them both in the system as long as possible. It only takes one injury and you're well into your organisational depth at that position usually.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Dynrehab
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 95 times
Received rep: 189 times

Post #3902 by Dynrehab » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:06 pm

MonkeyWrench wrote:Him with Sparks the best 1-2 in the AHL right now. Pikard would obviously get the first call up since Sparks requires waivers to go back down. But also Pikard has more experience in the nhl aswell as the tendy backup lifestyle.

Their save percentage is obviously good. What I'm more impressed/interested by is the gaa. 1.54 for Sparks and 1.90 for Pikard. Leading into this year I knew the marlies wouldn't have much issue scoring goals, but defense and playing with structure is one thing I wasn't so sure about.

Both need waivers, no?

I think it would be an emergency call up so not important anyway.? I think.
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 334 times
Received rep: 207 times

Post #3903 by vf » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:27 pm

Pickard would have 10gp or 30 days on the roster before needing waivers. Sparks cleared waivers beginning of the season so he'd be in the same boat.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 174 times
Received rep: 219 times

Post #3904 by AGENT ZERO » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:39 pm

I don't watch many Marlies games but Dermott looks outstanding tonight. Every time he has the puck under pressure he has been able to allude it with a deft deke or quick pass.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 409 times
Received rep: 430 times

Post #3905 by LeafOfBread » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:34 pm

AGENT ZERO wrote:I don't watch many Marlies games but Dermott looks outstanding tonight. Every time he has the puck under pressure he has been able to allude it with a deft deke or quick pass.

Really hoping he gets a shot soon so that he can take a spot and I never have to see Roman in a Leafs jersey ever again.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #3906 by AGENT ZERO » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:43 pm

The Marlies just pulled off an amazing late comeback capped off by a ridiculous end to end OT winner by Timashov. For those wondering all of Dermott, Johnsson, Liljegren, Bracco, and Timashov had points today.
Honus Joglund
Registered Broad
Received rep: 378 times

Post #3907 by Honus Joglund » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:15 pm

Yegor Korshov has been on a good run since his coach was fired at the start of October. Today he picked up 1+2 and got back to 0.50 PPG.

Old coach: 17 GP - 1 G, 2 A, 3 P
New coach: 27 GP - 7 G, 12 A, 19 P

If he maintained a 0.70 PPG rate all year he would be roughly top-35 in KHL PPG. Hopefully he gets over for the Marlies' playoff run.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #3908 by LeafOfBread » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:52 pm

Honus Joglund wrote:Yegor Korshov has been on a good run since his coach was fired at the start of October. Today he picked up 1+2 and got back to 0.50 PPG.

Old coach: 17 GP - 1 G, 2 A, 3 P
New coach: 27 GP - 7 G, 12 A, 19 P

If he maintained a 0.70 PPG rate all year he would be roughly top-35 in KHL PPG. Hopefully he gets over for the Marlies' playoff run.

It'll be good for him to come over soon, he seems like he's been dicked around with a bit in the KHL and his team is kinda unstable. He'd probably get good minutes with the Marlies next year as some guys should be graduating or out of the system altogether by then.
beast
Registered Broad

Post #3909 by beast » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:40 am

Keep Pickard up, please. McElhinney is so bad.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3910 by vf » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:09 pm

He was sent back down 2 days ago.
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 298 times
Received rep: 349 times

Post #3911 by Philthy Thrillz » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:09 pm

beast wrote:Keep Pickard up, please. McElhinney is so bad.

He's played pretty well in his role this year.
Honus Joglund
Registered Broad

Post #3912 by Honus Joglund » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:47 pm

Dermott was named to the AHL All Star game today, and last night he picked up three assists against Laval.

The assists are at 0:23, 1:43 and 3:40. All three are nice plays where he shows off his mobility and puck handling.
Balki Bartokomous
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 51 times
Received rep: 505 times

Post #3913 by Balki Bartokomous » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:04 pm

Going to Marlies v. Bridgeport on Saturday
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 116 times
Received rep: 364 times

Post #3914 by Thomas Malthus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:41 am

Pronman did his 50 best prospects piece over at the Athletic. Dermott missed eligibility because he's up in the NHL right now. Timmy comes in at 13, Kapanen at 15 and then Bracco at 49.
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
"[...]all models are wrong, some are useful." - George E. P. Box
Honus Joglund
Registered Broad

Post #3915 by Honus Joglund » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:15 pm

http://www.thetelegram.com/sports/hocke ... es-179041/

A group looking to bring the ECHL to St. John’s next year has a partnership in place with the Toronto Maple Leafs, The Telegram has learned.

With a renewed Maple Leafs partnership, we’re told, comes the potential of a Toronto training camp and pre-season games to St. John’s in 2019 and beyond.

The Leafs apparently have expressed an interest in having the AHL’s Toronto Marlies play a pair of regular season games in St. John’s each season.

Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #3916 by Thomas Malthus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:46 pm

So I guess that means goodbye to Orlando? That relationship seemed sour as the Solar Bears owners wanted to win but Dubas wanted to use it in the same way baseballs use their development tiers. Those two things don't necessarily go together. I wonder if this means the Leafs would own the St. John's Maple Leafs (If they go back to that name)?
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3917 by vf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:05 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:So I guess that means goodbye to Orlando? That relationship seemed sour as the Solar Bears owners wanted to win but Dubas wanted to use it in the same way baseballs use their development tiers. Those two things don't necessarily go together. I wonder if this means the Leafs would own the St. John's Maple Leafs (If they go back to that name)?

Heehee except baseball minor leagues are all independently owned and if the team doesn't win they won't extend their contracts with the pro club. Dubas wanted to use Orlando the same way as the Marlies.
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 167 times
Received rep: 191 times

Post #3918 by MonkeyWrench » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:56 pm

At this rate I'll make sure to head back to St.Johns.
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad

Post #3919 by MonkeyWrench » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:13 am

Kapy needs to be on the nhl roster.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3920 by Curry Rage » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:27 pm

Yeah, he's ready. Johnsson could probably crack an NHL club too.

Management needs to figure out what to do with the 3C job. If they don't want to give Nylander his own line, that is. Assuming they don't, if they can trade for/sign a guy to replace Bozak who can actually play some fucking D they can more easily bring some of these young wingers up and mix and match. Kapanen might be a nice piece on a revamped 3rd line with Brown and the new C or with JVR and the new C. I've got absolutely no ideas about who they might target for that, mind you.

Perhaps they try a second wave of rookies like last year now that those guys have some miles on the clock.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #3921 by LeafOfBread » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:18 pm

Johnsson now at 20 goals in 39 games, matching last season's output in almost half the games. Only 2 goals behind first in the AHL.

Really hope this guy is given a shot, his waiver exemption expires after this season.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3922 by Curry Rage » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:47 pm

LeafOfBread wrote:Johnsson now at 20 goals in 39 games, matching last season's output in almost half the games. Only 2 goals behind first in the AHL.

Really hope this guy is given a shot, his waiver exemption expires after this season.

I've always liked what I've seen of him. Also have a bit of a soft spot for him because of the whole story with his asthma, etc. Would be great to see a kid selected that late turn into something really great. He reminds me a little of Pulkkinen in that he's a smaller guy with a big shot and a real nose for the net. The difference - from what I read because I don't get to watch the Marlies - is that Johnsson isn't totally useless on the defensive side and is willing to get his nose dirty to get the puck back.

So far, his numbers are similar to Leivo's in the AHL (on the back of a napkin .69 and .75 PPG respectively) but Johnsson scores more goals. He doesn't have Leivo's size but he's faster on his feet. He puts up some PIMs so I assume he's reasonably feisty. Babs used to always have some really speedy guys like Helm or Glendening on his fourth line. Guys who get in fast on the D and make their lives miserable by playing at a high pace and being a little cunty. Maybe he can do that plus put up a little offense?
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #3923 by AGENT ZERO » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:01 pm

The guys on twitter who watch the Marlies really think his defensive game will translate to the NHL so I am hopeful he gets a call soon. It will be interesting to see if the Leafs move on from guys like Bozak and Komarov at the deadline or if they just interchange some of the younger players. Obviously, I'm hoping it's the former.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 33 times
Received rep: 127 times

Post #3924 by Whit Dickman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:36 pm

Calle Rosen appears to be a disappointment. Only 10 points in 36 games. -4. Has anyone actually watched him play?
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #3925 by Thomas Malthus » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:06 am

From Scott Wheeler's mid-season update:

"Calle Rosen shoots a lot. That he's scoreless on his 77 shots on goal this season is a testament to the unrelenting hockey gods. But for all his low-kick wrist shot and smooth skating offer, he's pretty mediocre otherwise. That was true in the SHL, it was true for the Leafs in camp in the NHL and it has been true in the AHL. He makes poor decisions with the puck at the offensive zone blueline, gets burned turning it over, and needs a steady presence. In fact, Liljegren has often played with him and functioned as the defensively conscious one on the pairing.

On Friday night, he got tangled up behind the Marlies net at the end of the second period and looked to be in serious pain before being helped off the ice and into the dressing room. He returned briefly in the third before leaving again.

“I haven't got much of an update other than it looks like he'll probably be doubtful for tomorrow but beyond that I don't know too much,” Keefe said."
mooseOAK
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 20 times
Received rep: 218 times

Post #3926 by mooseOAK » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:40 pm

The Leafs own three of the top 10 goalies in GAA in the AHL. Another member of the top ten is Antoine Bibeau.

Marlies win again tonight, Johnsson with three points.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad

Post #3927 by mooseOAK » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:14 am

On the other hand the forward prospects in the system are horrible, save Johnsson.
Honus Joglund
Registered Broad

Post #3928 by Honus Joglund » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:51 am

Alex Nylander has 7 points in 24 games for Rochester. :rudy:

The Sabres have to be the worst developmental team in the league. Look at what they've done with players like Nylander, Reinhart, Grigorenko and Girgensens. All of them were pushed into either the NHL or AHL too quickly. If I were Nylander I would go back to Sweden and ask for a trade. You've got one chance to make the NHL, don't throw it away with a team that's going to ruin it for you.
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad

Post #3929 by MonkeyWrench » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:16 am

mooseOAK wrote:On the other hand the forward prospects in the system are horrible, save Johnsson.

Well if we're referring to "the system" as the AHL, I agree. (if we're removing Kapanen from the equation aswell since he's with the big club)

A fair bit of the marlies team isn't flashy per se, or have a single tool that stands out, they just get the job done. In that sense I've heard good things about Aaltonen, Rychel and Holl.
Guys like Bracco, Brooks, Liljegren need another season of AHL hockey to improve their overall game.
Players who I haven't heard much about, are Nielsen and Timashov. I dunno how their game is progressing. #growingpains I guess.

Some other specs like Grundstrom, Korshkev could be gems, but I won't know for sure until they make their way to north america.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad

Post #3930 by mooseOAK » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:18 pm

MonkeyWrench wrote:
mooseOAK wrote:On the other hand the forward prospects in the system are horrible, save Johnsson.

Well if we're referring to "the system" as the AHL, I agree. (if we're removing Kapanen from the equation aswell since he's with the big club)

A fair bit of the marlies team isn't flashy per se, or have a single tool that stands out, they just get the job done. In that sense I've heard good things about Aaltonen, Rychel and Holl.
Guys like Bracco, Brooks, Liljegren need another season of AHL hockey to improve their overall game.
Players who I haven't heard much about, are Nielsen and Timashov. I dunno how their game is progressing. #growingpains I guess.

Some other specs like Grundstrom, Korshkev could be gems, but I won't know for sure until they make their way to north america.

Grundstrom has a contract so he will be coming over. Talented young forwards are definitely not in short supply in the organization overall but there isn’t much to pay attention to outside of the big team.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3931 by Curry Rage » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:32 pm

*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #3932 by Philthy Thrillz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:55 pm

mooseOAK wrote:
MonkeyWrench wrote:

Grundstrom has a contract so he will be coming over. Talented young forwards are definitely not in short supply in the organization overall but there isn’t much to pay attention to outside of the big team.

Anybody have any news on Grundy?
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #3933 by AGENT ZERO » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:02 pm

Bracco with 3 helpers, I think the Marlies are demonstrating that they have more prospects than most of us realize. Their performance has been dominant this year and it's not just goaltending.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #3934 by AGENT ZERO » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:04 pm

Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3935 by Curry Rage » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:08 am

That goal above gets Johnsson some serious points with me. He's basically getting punched in the head and still manages to get a whale of a shot off. Kid has some cunt.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad

Post #3936 by MonkeyWrench » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:03 am

Seems like players who I said were needing improvement, put up some points this weekend.
I'm a gud motivator.
Gud person.
Gud plur.

Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #3937 by Whit Dickman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:40 pm

Why are LoVerde and Gudbranson playing instead of Lijegren?
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #3938 by Whit Dickman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:46 pm

found this

https://www.mapleleafshotstove.com/2018 ... fensively/

Keefe on Liljegren: He returned from the World Juniors recently and he’s been a little sick and banged up since then, but in terms of his ability to show that he can defend and show that he can do it against bigger, stronger, faster men at the professional level here in North America — it’s been fun to watch that.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #3939 by LeafOfBread » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:53 am

Amazing that nothing happens to Borgman in the NHL but the moment he goes to the AHL a scrub tries to kill him

MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad

Post #3940 by MonkeyWrench » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:33 am

The AHL is a grimey, scummy place sometimes.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad

Post #3941 by mooseOAK » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:43 am

When I brought up that sending Liljegren there might not be a good idea I was admonished for treating young players like pussies.
Zardoz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 188 times

Post #3942 by Zardoz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:36 pm

I agreed with you, Moose. For what it's worth. I think Courage and Claw are in the same head space.
It's a league laced with fringe guys trying to prove themselves by playing assassin. I hate the idea of 18-19 years olds especially in the AHL.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[SIZE="1"]Bring us your idiots, your hussies, your blue and your dreamy. Your steady, your huddled, your fisted and creamy. Your villains, your filthy, your cunts and your meese. Your carpenters and fishers and pastors and beasts. Your rednecks, your Safas, your trolls and your Brits. And like all good sailors, we like us some tits.[/size]
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #3943 by LeafOfBread » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:11 pm

Ya the AHL unfortunately can be a cesspool of goonery at times. Johnsson, Kappy, Goat, Borgman have all been victims at one point or another. Feels like there's others I'm missing too.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad

Post #3944 by mooseOAK » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:32 pm

It’s worth something.
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 238 times
Received rep: 384 times

Post #3945 by WTF » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:09 pm

From my perspective, it's a mixed bag. The AHL is a development league but it's also where many of the castoffs from the NHL are sent. That includes the goons and cheapshot artists who can't find employment in the modern league.
Zardoz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 188 times

Re: RE: Re: Marlies and Prospects - Hell no! We won't go!

Post #3946 by Zardoz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:14 pm

WTF wrote:From my perspective, it's a mixed bag. The AHL is a development league but it's also where many of the castoffs from the NHL are sent. That includes the goons and cheapshot artists who can't find employment in the modern league.
Yeah, like I said, laced with those types. Or sprinkled, if you like. I think the majority of the league is fine but there seems to be one or two shitheads on every team.
I mean, I hope that down the road that element disappears, but I'm not sure it will.

I honestly don't mind a 22-23 year old getting AHL time, bit lil'Timmy is too prescious.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]Bring us your idiots, your hussies, your blue and your dreamy. Your steady, your huddled, your fisted and creamy. Your villains, your filthy, your cunts and your meese. Your carpenters and fishers and pastors and beasts. Your rednecks, your Safas, your trolls and your Brits. And like all good sailors, we like us some tits.[/size]
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #3947 by Philthy Thrillz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:25 pm

It'll take a few years. The NHL has pretty much erased the cheap blind sides. The A will follow suit.
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad

Post #3948 by MonkeyWrench » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:30 pm

I'd feel a little more skeptical about sending a young player to the AHL if it wasn't; in the same city as the NHL team, near NHL gym/facilities, and steps away from management.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3949 by vf » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:39 am

MonkeyWrench wrote:I'd feel a little more skeptical about sending a young player to the AHL if it wasn't; in the same city as the NHL team, near NHL gym/facilities, and steps away from management.

Like when the Leafs move their ECHL team to NFLD? If I was an ECHL club owner I'd be pissed at the Leafs.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3950 by Curry Rage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:25 am

Zardoz wrote:I agreed with you, Moose. For what it's worth. I think Courage and Claw are in the same head space.
It's a league laced with fringe guys trying to prove themselves by playing assassin. I hate the idea of 18-19 years olds especially in the AHL.

That and a couple quid will get you a cup of coffee.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*

Return to “The Auston Matthews show”