Marlies and Prospects - Hell no! We won't go!

clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 280 times
Received rep: 467 times

Re: Marlies and Prospects - Hell no! We won't go!

Post #3951 by clawfirst » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:07 am

Ya but its probably that instant garbage they drink o'er there
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 516 times
Received rep: 386 times

Post #3952 by Curry Rage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:16 am

clawfirst wrote:Ya but its probably that instant garbage they drink o'er there

It's improving. The difference even in the decade I've been here has been tremendous. We've got a few Second Cup-like companies all over the place now. Plus Starbucks if you go that way. London has always had great roasters.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 492 times
Received rep: 505 times

Post #3953 by LeafOfBread » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:36 am

What about the tea, 'rage?
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 430 times
Received rep: 244 times

Post #3954 by vf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:57 am

One day I'll have to send you some of my coffee, we do a barrel aged/bourbon infused blend of a city roast. I'd say more, but my hair may get cut into a manbun or some damn thing, hard to enjoy coffee and not turn into a hipster.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3955 by Curry Rage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:09 am

LeafOfBread wrote:What about the tea, 'rage?

I don't touch it but you can get Tetley's in Canada. That's pretty much the go to brand here.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3956 by Curry Rage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:09 am

vf wrote:One day I'll have to send you some of my coffee, we do a barrel aged/bourbon infused blend of a city roast. I'd say more, but my hair may get cut into a manbun or some damn thing, hard to enjoy coffee and not turn into a hipster.

Do it!
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #3957 by LeafOfBread » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:16 am

Curry Rage wrote:

I don't touch it but you can get Tetley's in Canada. That's pretty much the go to brand here.

Go to an Indian place and order chai, thank me later. Bonus if you can find a place that has Kashmiri chai :wink:
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3958 by Curry Rage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:26 am

LeafOfBread wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:

Go to an Indian place and order chai, thank me later. Bonus if you can find a place that has Kashmiri chai :wink:

I've had chai. Very nice. We're very lucky here in Luton - and in Britain generally - Indian food is plentiful and great because there's a lot of competition. A bit like Toronto with Chinese. The Chinese here is pretty poor outside of London and, due to accident of history, Liverpool.

Just Saturday we were at a place that does both more traditional Indian curries and something they call Indian Tapas which includes some chef's specialities and fusion-ish dishes. Mrs. C and I shared rasmalai for dessert. Awesome all around. https://www.papajs.co.uk/
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 207 times
Received rep: 233 times

Post #3959 by MonkeyWrench » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:28 am

I've always been someone that has 2-3 cups of coffee a day. At very least 1 in the morning. It's part of my morning routine.
During my 30 day rehab after the accident, for multiple days I was asking for a simple cup of joe. They finally gave me one in the morning..but it was instant decaf.
For 3 weeks I drank that literal shit.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3960 by Curry Rage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:36 am

MonkeyWrench wrote:I've always been someone that has 2-3 cups of coffee a day. At very least 1 in the morning. It's part of my morning routine.
During my 30 day rehab after the accident, for multiple days I was asking for a simple cup of joe. They finally gave me one in the morning..but it was instant decaf.

Dirt from The Devil's Toenails.

I make a large French Press of coffee every morning, though usually only drink part of it before work. I'll top up around lunch from a Costa some days or before the gym/evening work.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad

Post #3961 by MonkeyWrench » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:38 am

Curry Rage wrote:
MonkeyWrench wrote:I've always been someone that has 2-3 cups of coffee a day. At very least 1 in the morning. It's part of my morning routine.

I make a large French Press of coffee every morning, though usually only drink part of it before work. I'll top up around lunch from a Costa some days or before the gym/evening work.

How do you find the french press in terms of taste/time it takes in a morning rush?
I ran a tassimo machine for a while, then switched back to brewing simply because I enjoy the fact that I'm making it...and the smell.
stoney
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 237 times
Received rep: 134 times

Post #3962 by stoney » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:43 am

MonkeyWrench wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:

How do you find the french press in terms of taste/time it takes in a morning rush?
I ran a tassimo machine for a while, then switched back to brewing simply because I enjoy the fact that I'm making it...and the smell.

French press is as quick as you can get water to boil, then let it chill for 30 seconds or so

It can be a bit dusty as it isn't a perfect filter, but they allow you to make it exactly as strong/weak as you want. Just watch the grind of the beans. Too fine and you can't press the plunger
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3963 by Curry Rage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:45 am

MonkeyWrench wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:

I like it. It takes the time to boil the water + 4 minutes to brew. I buy beans and grind them myself now. Quite a bit cheaper and my grinds are always fresh within a couple of days. No fancy grinder, just an attachment for a NutriBullet blender. I've also got an Aeropress and a European style stove top espresso percolator. The Aeropress makes great coffee, but it's a pain getting the temperature right, the filters, etc.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3964 by Curry Rage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:53 am

stoney wrote:
It can be a bit dusty as it isn't a perfect filter, but they allow you to make it exactly as strong/weak as you want. Just watch the grind of the beans. Too fine and you can't press the plunger

I just eyeball it and listen to the pitch of the blender to get it right.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
stoney
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 237 times
Received rep: 134 times

Post #3965 by stoney » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:02 am

Curry Rage wrote:
stoney wrote:

I just eyeball it and listen to the pitch of the blender to get it right.

I've got a count in my head that seems to do the trick with my grinder. I did wear it the one time I used a fine grind from a bag i scooped from a local roaster. Lesson learned
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3966 by Curry Rage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:11 am

Been there.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3967 by vf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:11 pm

Boys, don't fucking skimp on the grinder. A decent burr grinder is a necessity. Stop using any blade grinder immediately. Thank me later.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3968 by vf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Curry Rage wrote:
vf wrote:One day I'll have to send you some of my coffee, we do a barrel aged/bourbon infused blend of a city roast. I'd say more, but my hair may get cut into a manbun or some damn thing, hard to enjoy coffee and not turn into a hipster.

Do it!

Once we get our packaging straightened away. Trying to get it to fit through the mail slot and not shift around.
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 362 times
Received rep: 402 times

Post #3969 by Philthy Thrillz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:19 pm

I started drinking green tea instead of coffee, mostly to get rid of the cream in my diet and change up habits.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3970 by Curry Rage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Philthy Thrillz wrote:I started drinking green tea instead of coffee, mostly to get rid of the cream in my diet and change up habits.

If I stopped drinking coffee I'd probably keep drinking cream.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #3971 by Philthy Thrillz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:47 pm

Curry Rage wrote:
Philthy Thrillz wrote:I started drinking green tea instead of coffee, mostly to get rid of the cream in my diet and change up habits.

If I stopped drinking coffee I'd probably keep drinking cream.

Im trying to be healthier all around. I put a shit tonne of half and half in my coffee. Its more about the amount of cream I was drinking. I've cut back alot of calories changing to tea. Also, I spent so many years enjoying a smoke with my morning coffee. I don't think about smoking when I drink tea.

My new years resolution was to quit drinking for a year. Day 43. Last time I went this long without a beverage, I was probably 16.
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 261 times
Received rep: 449 times

Post #3972 by WTF » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:14 pm

I alternate between tea and coffee and also, as odd as it may sound, there's a popular HK drink that's a mix of both (~2/3 milk tea and 1/3 coffee). It's one of those things you can find in almost any Chinese bakery.

I'm not too picky about my coffee so long as it's not decaf and it's not the instant shit (which I'll still drink if I'm desperate enough).

Good for you for trying to cut back a bit, PT. The closest I've come is limiting myself to a regular coffee (my double-double days are well behind me).
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 211 times
Received rep: 265 times

Post #3973 by AGENT ZERO » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:26 pm

I come into this thread expecting to see a lively discussion of the Marlies recent 15-0-1 streak, and instead I see almost two full pages discussing tea and coffee...

clawfirst
Registered Broad

Post #3974 by clawfirst » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:43 pm

Also PT.. I like your hussle but i cant have a man on the wagon on the wagon. Cut
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3975 by vf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Coffee is very healthy for you. Helps liver function and is packed with anti oxidants. Reducing the cream and sugar you put in it is the biggest thing you can do to better your health re: coffee.
clawfirst
Registered Broad

Post #3976 by clawfirst » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:52 pm

How any smoker puts anything other than whiskey into coffee is beyond me. Black like my lungs ,thanks
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #3977 by Philthy Thrillz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:15 pm

I just can't drink coffee black, unless it's of high quality. I don't buy the good stuff.

Love the whisk in my coffee.

Not drinking and watching hockey actually has me thinking about putting some real thought into hockey analytics. Ugh...
clawfirst
Registered Broad

Post #3978 by clawfirst » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:16 pm

Well you need to get on that medical dope train then
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #3979 by AGENT ZERO » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Philthy Thrillz wrote:I just can't drink coffee black, unless it's of high quality. I don't buy the good stuff.

Love the whisk in my coffee.

Not drinking and watching hockey actually has me thinking about putting some real thought into hockey analytics. Ugh...

I can't drink coffee period, always hated the way it tastes. Chai is delicious though.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3980 by Curry Rage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:51 pm

vf wrote:Coffee is very healthy for you. Helps liver function and is packed with anti oxidants. Reducing the cream and sugar you put in it is the biggest thing you can do to better your health re: coffee.

I'm all cream, no sugar.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Zardoz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 19 times
Received rep: 208 times

Post #3981 by Zardoz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:21 pm

I work horrible hours, so french presses and all that have gone from my life. Pour overs are still great though.

But i started buying Nesspresso instant because i have hot water on tap at work. Its actually really nice. Instant is not the monster people make it out to be, just don't buy the shitty stuff.

Its the only instant I can happily drink black.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[SIZE="1"]Bring us your idiots, your hussies, your blue and your dreamy. Your steady, your huddled, your fisted and creamy. Your villains, your filthy, your cunts and your meese. Your carpenters and fishers and pastors and beasts. Your rednecks, your Safas, your trolls and your Brits. And like all good sailors, we like us some tits.[/size]
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad

Post #3982 by MonkeyWrench » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Curry Rage wrote:
vf wrote:Coffee is very healthy for you. Helps liver function and is packed with anti oxidants. Reducing the cream and sugar you put in it is the biggest thing you can do to better your health re: coffee.

I'm all cream, no sugar.

:seminlover:
clawfirst
Registered Broad

Post #3983 by clawfirst » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Zardoz wrote:I work horrible hours, so french presses and all that have gone from my life. Pour overs are still great though.

But i started buying Nesspresso instant because i have hot water on tap at work. Its actually really nice. Instant is not the monster people make it out to be, just don't buy the shitty stuff.

Where is the neg rep button?
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3984 by vf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:57 pm

Zardoz wrote:I work horrible hours, so french presses and all that have gone from my life. Pour overs are still great though.

You have hot water on tap and you let the french press go to buy instant? :rudy:
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 149 times
Received rep: 428 times

Post #3985 by Thomas Malthus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:59 pm

My parents gave me their old ass krups espresso machine, it's gotta be like 20 years old. So I've been doing up americanos at home these days.

My buds at school and I bought a nespresso machine for our grad lounge when there was one of those "pods on sale and buy so much we'll throw in a machine for free" kind of things. Worked out not too badly in terms of price per coffee and there's quite a bit of variety out there.

Only time I add cream is at this one coffee place nearby where the coffee is like fucking jet fuel. Never sugar and other than that place always black.
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
"[...]all models are wrong, some are useful." - George E. P. Box
Zardoz
Registered Broad

Re: RE: Re: Marlies and Prospects - Hell no! We won't go!

Post #3986 by Zardoz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 pm

vf wrote:

You have hot water on tap and you let the french press go to buy instant? :rudy:
Hot, not boiling, I wouldn't use it in a press.
I basically work in a coal field, so not a great place for anything else.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]Bring us your idiots, your hussies, your blue and your dreamy. Your steady, your huddled, your fisted and creamy. Your villains, your filthy, your cunts and your meese. Your carpenters and fishers and pastors and beasts. Your rednecks, your Safas, your trolls and your Brits. And like all good sailors, we like us some tits.[/size]
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3987 by vf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:03 am

It doesn't and shouldn't be boiling water. 60-80 is your target.
Zardoz
Registered Broad

Post #3988 by Zardoz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:02 am

I always go right out of the electric kettle into the press, otherwise i get lukewarm coffee after 4 minutes plus cream.
But that's just my preference, i like coffee hot.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

clawfirst
Registered Broad

Post #3989 by clawfirst » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:16 am

When you do that you just get burnt coffee
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3990 by vf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:36 am

clawfirst wrote:When you do that you just get burnt coffee

clawf is write
Zardoz
Registered Broad

Post #3991 by Zardoz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:53 pm

There is no chemical reaction in putting boiling water in, but it can over extract the flavours.
How does a percolator work?

I've had burnt coffee before, but never out of my own french press.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #3992 by AGENT ZERO » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:58 pm

vf wrote:It doesn't and shouldn't be boiling water. 60-80 is your target.

Reading you talk about coffee is like watching 'a beautiful mind', I don't get it, but I know something special is happening.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3993 by vf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:24 pm

I'm really not sure how to take that AZ loo. My business partner is super OCD and a control freak so I enjoy patronizing him when I do the most basic of things correctly I tell him 'I'm doing a good job'.

Starting this company I've learned so much about coffee it's so ridiculously fickle. I had no idea.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3994 by vf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:28 pm

Zardoz wrote:There is no chemical reaction in putting boiling water in, but it can over extract the flavours.
How does a percolator work?

I've had burnt coffee before, but never out of my own french press.

Burnt/over extracted it tastes the same to my palette. It's why Tim Hortons coffee sucks most of the time.

I presume percolators vary by brand and model, but they shouldn't be pumping in boiling water. Near boiling perhaps, but that's just another strike against them.
clawfirst
Registered Broad

Post #3995 by clawfirst » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:54 pm

Your 60 to 80 c range seems really low to me though. I aim for 200F/95ish in a press. But i also dont want to wait 4 minutes to press the plunger ...after that long a 60c brew is cold
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #3996 by AGENT ZERO » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:59 pm

vf wrote:I'm really not sure how to take that AZ loo. My business partner is super OCD and a control freak so I enjoy patronizing him when I do the most basic of things correctly I tell him 'I'm doing a good job'.

Starting this company I've learned so much about coffee it's so ridiculously fickle. I had no idea.

It was meant as a compliment. I enjoy hearing about others people's passions, even if it doesn't align with my own.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 251 times

Post #3997 by mooseOAK » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:30 pm

Four scoops of Folgers and fill the water up to level 10. Great coffee.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3998 by vf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:45 pm

clawfirst wrote:Your 60 to 80 c range seems really low to me though. I aim for 200F/95ish in a press. But i also dont want to wait 4 minutes to press the plunger ...after that long a 60c brew is cold

It could be 160 to 180. I'm not the coffee guru in the company. I'm responsible for basically everything else in the company and learning coffee is just a side benefit.
Honus Joglund
Registered Broad
Received rep: 452 times

Post #3999 by Honus Joglund » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:32 pm

Andy Johnsson is still on fire. Another three points last night against Laval, and now 17 points in his last 8 games. He's up to third in the AHL in scoring.

Smell ya later, JVR.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #4000 by LeafOfBread » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:04 am

Honus Joglund wrote:Andy Johnsson is still on fire. Another three points last night against Laval, and now 17 points in his last 8 games. He's up to third in the AHL in scoring.

Smell ya later, JVR.

He's such a smart player. Always knows where to be, but also has that touch of creativity to his game. Like a more offensively gifted version of Connor Brown.

Return to “The Auston Matthews show”