*NSFW* - Professor Dickman's Office Hours and Sometimes Leafs Lounge. Virgin 4.0

vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 256 times
Received rep: 168 times

Re: *NSFW* - Professor Dickman's Office Hours and Sometimes Leafs Lounge. Virgin 4.0

Post #3701 by vf » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Whit Dickman wrote:
vf wrote:The obvious flaw in that is. Which Muslims? They don't all believe the same thing.

Does that mean we can't talk about Islam? I'm confused about how this matters. I'm making claims about a constellation of beliefs among a large group of people. Never claimed that all Muslims believe the same thing or that all versions of Islam are equally problematic.

Connecting a constellation of beliefs among a large group of people is where it becomes problematic. And yes you can talk about Islam, just try to be more specific about the problems. Wahhabism is a fucking problem. Ibadis and Sunnis? Not really.
vf
Registered Broad

Re: *NSFW* - Professor Dickman's Office Hours and Sometimes Leafs Lounge. Virgin 4.0

Post #3702 by vf » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:57 pm

Whit Dickman wrote:
Whit Dickman wrote:
Bernie Bernbaum wrote:I think: that you're not as smart as you think you are; that your data doesn't support your argument re: violence; that your data doesn't have much value when you're not presenting data from other ethnic and religious groups to cross-reference it against, particularly under circumstances that allow for variables like poverty, political stability etc.; that it doesn't take a genius to know that issues with women's rights and homophobia exist in mainstream Islam if viewed on a global scale; that these issues are more severe than in other religious-majority and secular nations; that these issues still, none-the-less, tend to be substantial among global religious-majority and secular nations; that it has only been within a small sliver of time that developed pockets of the world began to value women's rights and gays rights; that it's a pretty easy-to-spot logical mistake to assume one's own narrow historical epoch is somehow more indicative of a religion's inherent qualities relative to other religions than the several centuries that preceded it; that widespread differences in Islamic practice and belief worldwide as indicated by your data actually reinforce the point that these beliefs and practices are far more malleable than you give them credit for; that I'm unnerved but ultimately unsurprised that you claim unprejudice but only argue against those who defend Muslims, never against conspiracy-addled and factually-deficient simpletons like tbm; that I'm exhausted of this conversation; that I regret popping in here a couple weeks ago to see what the off-season chatter was like; that I I hope I would have been smart enough not to reply to this shit if I didn't drink a bottle of wine while watching "Oh, Hello" tonight.

What does it mean for something to be "inherent" to a religion and how do we determine that?

We know a bit about what Muslims tend to believe and we have religious doctrine that matches up fairly well with it.

When I say "Islam", I'm referring to the things that Muslims believe and their rituals. Not some immutable thing

Think about it this way, Bernie:

Is white supremacy problematic?

It exists for historical reasons. It's tied to poverty and low education. Most white supremacists aren't violent.

Is it punching down to say that white supremacy is a problem in a multicultural democracy (or anywhere)?

White supremacy is problematic. Terrorism is problematic. Being white doesn't make you a racist anymore them being a Muslim makes you a terrorist.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 22 times
Received rep: 106 times

Post #3703 by Whit Dickman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:04 pm

vf wrote:
Whit Dickman wrote:
vf wrote:The obvious flaw in that is. Which Muslims? They don't all believe the same thing.

Does that mean we can't talk about Islam? I'm confused about how this matters. I'm making claims about a constellation of beliefs among a large group of people. Never claimed that all Muslims believe the same thing or that all versions of Islam are equally problematic.

Connecting a constellation of beliefs among a large group of people is where it becomes problematic. And yes you can talk about Islam, just try to be more specific about the problems. Wahhabism is a fucking problem. Ibadis and Sunnis? Not really.

Take a look at the polls. The problems run deeper than violent jihadism.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3704 by vf » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:35 pm

All it says is in a bunch of poor countries people who follow one religion favour a theocracy. What are the numbers in the same countries for other religions? Then what are they actually wanting when they say they do want a theocracy? I'd prefer specifics.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #3705 by Whit Dickman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:38 pm

vf wrote:
Whit Dickman wrote:
Whit Dickman wrote:
What does it mean for something to be "inherent" to a religion and how do we determine that?

We know a bit about what Muslims tend to believe and we have religious doctrine that matches up fairly well with it.

When I say "Islam", I'm referring to the things that Muslims believe and their rituals. Not some immutable thing

It exists for historical reasons. It's tied to poverty and low education. Most white supremacists aren't violent.

Is it punching down to say that white supremacy is a problem in a multicultural democracy (or anywhere)?

White supremacy is problematic. Terrorism is problematic. Being white doesn't make you a racist anymore them being a Muslim makes you a terrorist.

Wow, Jesus.

The argument isn't that "being a Muslim makes you a terrorist".

The argument is that Islam is among the things that facilitates terrorism (and other things like sexism and homophobia).

Doesn't mean that all Muslims are terrorists or that only Muslims are terrorists or that there isn't a possible world where terrorism is no longer a thing in Islam.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #3706 by Whit Dickman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:40 pm

vf wrote:All it says is in a bunch of poor countries people who follow one religion favour a theocracy. What are the numbers in the same countries for other religions? Then what are they actually wanting when they say they do want a theocracy? I'd prefer specifics.

Look up Qatar

And you want nuance about theocracy?
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3707 by vf » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:05 pm

Whit Dickman wrote:
vf wrote:
Whit Dickman wrote:

Wow, Jesus.

The argument is that Islam is among the things that facilitates terrorism (and other things like sexism and homophobia).

Doesn't mean that all Muslims are terrorists or that only Muslims are terrorists or that there isn't a possible world where terrorism is no longer a thing in Islam.

How about just showing that Islam has something special that makes it more prone to extremism when you remove the other variables.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3708 by vf » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:07 pm

Whit Dickman wrote:
vf wrote:All it says is in a bunch of poor countries people who follow one religion favour a theocracy. What are the numbers in the same countries for other religions? Then what are they actually wanting when they say they do want a theocracy? I'd prefer specifics.

Look up Qatar

And you want nuance about theocracy?

Look up Oman.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #3709 by Whit Dickman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:36 am

vf wrote:
Whit Dickman wrote:
vf wrote:

Wow, Jesus.

How about just showing that Islam has something special that makes it more prone to extremism when you remove the other variables.

What do you mean by "has something special" and how do you propose to separate Islam from the "other variables"?

Think about education for a moment. Do you think Islam plays some role in what little Muslims learn in schools (in Muslim countries)?
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3710 by vf » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 am

Whit Dickman wrote:
vf wrote:
Whit Dickman wrote:
Wow, Jesus.

What do you mean by "has something special" and how do you propose to separate Islam from the "other variables"?

Think about education for a moment. Do you think Islam plays some role in what little Muslims learn in schools (in Muslim countries)?

If you're going to single out Islam from the rest of the religions it must have something special about it beyond the other variables that come into play. The other variables are the rest of life, to single out religion as the root cause of these issues people must have figured out a way to control for the other variables.

And for education, do you mean like how Christian schools in Southern USA can teach creationism in their schools instead of evolution?

Religion is stupid and a waste imo, to each their own and blah blah blah. I see nothing about Islam as a whole(the 1.5 billion who identify as Muslim) that makes it any different or more dangerous then any other religion. The terrorism carried out by the West against Middle Eastern/African countries and subservience to Israel has played a far larger role in the development of terrorism from there. If you swapped out Islam for Christianity I don't believe the situation would be any different.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #3711 by Whit Dickman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:23 pm

vf wrote:
Whit Dickman wrote:
vf wrote:

If you're going to single out Islam from the rest of the religions it must have something special about it beyond the other variables that come into play. The other variables are the rest of life, to single out religion as the root cause of these issues people must have figured out a way to control for the other variables.

And for education, do you mean like how Christian schools in Southern USA can teach creationism in their schools instead of evolution?

Religion is stupid and a waste imo, to each their own and blah blah blah. I see nothing about Islam as a whole(the 1.5 billion who identify as Muslim) that makes it any different or more dangerous then any other religion. The terrorism carried out by the West against Middle Eastern/African countries and subservience to Israel has played a far larger role in the development of terrorism from there. If you swapped out Islam for Christianity I don't believe the situation would be any different.

Your assumption is wrong. I'm keying in on Islam because it currently presents the most problems. Even aside from violent jihadism, apostates fear for their lives in Muslims nations. Women are second class citizens. Opinions about gays, the role of secular government. Islam is a problem.

All religions are stupid. The Islam is currently the most problematic one.

Here's an important point that I'm had great difficulty explaining on this board, but I'll try again: There is no "true" version of a religion. Religions are dynamic things that change over time. Religions are only what people who identify with them think they are. Christianity now is different from Christianity in the middle ages. What we mean when we say "Christianity" now is different.

There are possible worlds where Islam isn't a problem. But "Islam" in those worlds refers to a different thing. If we magically changed the history of the Muslim world, the word "islam" would refer to something different and my argument would be no longer relevant.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #3712 by Whit Dickman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:47 pm

So yes, I do mean like how Christianity is a problem for education in the US. Just on a larger scale
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3713 by vf » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:34 pm

And your assumption is wrong because you're ignoring what's causing the violence and just blaming a religion.

Aside from violent jihadism you're only describing a theocracy of any religion. Weird how the violence has proliferated in war torn countries. It's almost like it has more to do with it then the religion they follow.

And yes religion changes over time and there is no one true version of any of them. It's why there are sub sects of every religion, but, somehow you manage to glaze over that and dump it at the feet of all of them. If your argument was Wahhabism is a problem I'd be inclined to agree with you. You lack specificity.
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 145 times
Received rep: 294 times

Post #3714 by clawfirst » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:45 pm

Cause in Saskatchewan the closest thing to a muslim known is a native
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #3715 by Whit Dickman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:58 pm

vf wrote:And your assumption is wrong because you're ignoring what's causing the violence and just blaming a religion.

Aside from violent jihadism you're only describing a theocracy of any religion. Weird how the violence has proliferated in war torn countries. It's almost like it has more to do with it then the religion they follow.

And yes religion changes over time and there is no one true version of any of them. It's why there are sub sects of every religion, but, somehow you manage to glaze over that and dump it at the feet of all of them. If your argument was Wahhabism is a problem I'd be inclined to agree with you. You lack specificity.

I'm not only talking about violence (views on women, gay, lack of secularism in govt, etc), but there are many examples of wealthy western violent Muslims. And, anyway, the argument is that it's an important factor. There are many disenfranchised groups. Not many engage in civilian killing. Islamic religious tradition can apparently be interpreted to support martyrdom. Would suicide bombers be doing such a thing if they didn't believe in heaven? Lots of reasons why they do it. Religion is an important factor.

The primary problem is with the idea of the sacred. Some things that can't be questioned. Not specific to Islam, but more strongly enforced.

More specific problems derive from the Quran and hadiths. They support backwards views. Some sects hold to fewer of them than others. All believe that Muhammed, a paedophile, is God's prophet. They also believe in a god who supported the actions of Muhammed.

The old testament (and much of the new testament) is also fucked. Fortunately, most Christians just ignore it now.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3716 by vf » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:01 pm

That's one of the funniest things I've read. Thanks for the laughs eb.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 80 times
Received rep: 281 times

Post #3717 by Thomas Malthus » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:45 am

Got married on Saturday, fellas. It was awesome.
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
"[...]all models are wrong, some are useful." - George E. P. Box
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 178 times
Received rep: 260 times

Post #3718 by WTF » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:12 am

Congrats, TM!
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 242 times
Received rep: 321 times

Post #3719 by LeafOfBread » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:41 am

Thomas Malthus wrote:Got married on Saturday, fellas. It was awesome.

Congratulations buddy!
clawfirst
Registered Broad

Post #3720 by clawfirst » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:20 pm

LeafOfBread wrote:

Condolences buddy!

I concur
cawbber
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 130 times
Received rep: 81 times

Post #3721 by cawbber » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:32 pm

Well done, sir!
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 414 times
Received rep: 169 times

Post #3722 by paulster » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:50 pm

Great job! Now you'll never have to make your own decisions again!!
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #3723 by Thomas Malthus » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:07 pm

Please, paulie, as if I was making them before.
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3724 by vf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:08 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:Please, paulie, as if I was making them before.

Central Command has a way of infiltrating and taking over without you knowing it. Once you let the Stockholm Syndrome take over it's just the best.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #3725 by Thomas Malthus » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:41 pm

Clearly that's what was going on with the foot rubs.
Zardoz
Registered Broad
Received rep: 148 times

Post #3726 by Zardoz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Well done, Tommy... Now start popping out kids already.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[SIZE="1"]Bring us your idiots, your hussies, your blue and your dreamy. Your steady, your huddled, your fisted and creamy. Your villains, your filthy, your cunts and your meese. Your carpenters and fishers and pastors and beasts. Your rednecks, your Safas, your trolls and your Brits. And like all good sailors, we like us some tits.[/size]
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 414 times
Received rep: 169 times

Post #3727 by paulster » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:02 pm

Zardoz wrote:Well done, Tommy... Now start popping out kids already.

FYI Tommy when your annoying fucking family keeps bringing this up (because someone likely even started this at your wedding already), my research has pointed to this as the ultimate Shutthefuckup response:

"We'd like to have kids someday, but we're on a pretty big anal kick right now."
clawfirst
Registered Broad

Post #3728 by clawfirst » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:06 pm

"Shes been pregnant 6 times...shes very pro choice.."
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 144 times

Post #3729 by MP » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:46 pm

clawfirst wrote:"Shes been pregnant 6 times...shes very pro choice.."

"... And they were delicious. "
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 167 times
Received rep: 278 times

Post #3730 by Philthy Thrillz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:24 pm

CONGRATS, TM.
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 167 times
Received rep: 278 times

Post #3731 by Philthy Thrillz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Just keep blowing your load on her feet.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #3732 by Thomas Malthus » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:52 pm

Thanks fellas! I appreciate the support :D

One of the highlights of the day: When the minister asked for the rings my best man hands me a Ring Pop. Apparently the look on my face was priceless. I proceeded to put it on her finger, of course. It was perfect—Mrs. Malthus was nervous about the ceremony but as soon as this happened she loosened up and got much more comfortable.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #3733 by Whit Dickman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:46 pm

Congrats Tommy!

But fyi this is the bash islam thread
MP
Registered Broad

Post #3734 by MP » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:07 pm

Whit Dickman wrote:Congrats Tommy!

But fyi this is the bash islam thread

It might have been a Muslim wedding...?
clawfirst
Registered Broad

Post #3735 by clawfirst » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:18 pm

Is that where the bride is buried in sand to her neck and...wait wait my bad thats a stoning...

Is that where the groom is buried in sand...
akiberg
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 121 times
Received rep: 123 times

Post #3736 by akiberg » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:18 am

clawfirst wrote:Is that where the bride is buried in sand to her neck and...wait wait my bad thats a stoning...

Is that where the groom is buried in sand...

stonings only happen if the woman is stupid enough to get herself raped. we are talking about a peaceful religious bunch here, not slightly right of centre conservative monsters.
“No country would find 173 billion barrels of oil in the ground and just leave them there.”
Justin Trudeau
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 342 times
Received rep: 213 times

Post #3737 by Curry Rage » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:55 am

Congratulations, Tommy. More than likely both the dumbest and smartest thing you've ever done.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #3738 by Thomas Malthus » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:37 pm

Okay fellas, I'm looking to build a computer myself and I know you lot are fucking nerds that can help me (we're all nerds, just different flavours). This will be my first build and I do want to build it myself.

I'd like to see an improvement in performance from my macbook that I've upgraded to 16GB of Crucial DDR3 RAM to go with an i5-3210M CPU. It'll mainly be for running things like R, Stata, Matlab and general computer use (on two non-4k monitors). I don't really game but would be open to grabbing a cheap GPU so that I can use my brother's Steam account to try out some games every so often. I'm trying to keep the build as cheap as possible, making liberal use of kijiji.

I've been trying to do some reading (looking at relevant subreddits, tom's hardware, etc.) but any help/tips/advice you fellas could give would be great.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3739 by vf » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:56 pm

Buy it two years ago.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #3740 by Thomas Malthus » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:05 pm

vf wrote:Buy it two years ago.

tbm
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 56 times
Received rep: 63 times

Post #3741 by tbm » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:18 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:Okay fellas, I'm looking to build a computer myself and I know you lot are fucking nerds that can help me (we're all nerds, just different flavours). This will be my first build and I do want to build it myself.

I'd like to see an improvement in performance from my macbook that I've upgraded to 16GB of Crucial DDR3 RAM to go with an i5-3210M CPU. It'll mainly be for running things like R, Stata, Matlab and general computer use (on two non-4k monitors). I don't really game but would be open to grabbing a cheap GPU so that I can use my brother's Steam account to try out some games every so often. I'm trying to keep the build as cheap as possible, making liberal use of kijiji.

I've been trying to do some reading (looking at relevant subreddits, tom's hardware, etc.) but any help/tips/advice you fellas could give would be great.

Good site to select hardware and also checks what is compatible with what in your build before you purchase anything --> https://pcpartpicker.com/

Also very useful for reference as many people post their different builds on there. From what you have described I'd shoot for a workstation approach to the build.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #3742 by Thomas Malthus » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:18 pm

Like, I was thinking of grabbing something like this to start off the build: Asrock H97m pro 4 matx and Intel i5 4590 with Intel cooler for $240. Grabbing two sticks of 8GB DDR3 RAM (like this that's on kijiji for $85) and then filling the remaining slots with 4GB sticks to break over the 16GB that my macbook has. Snagging a video card like the Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 that's on kijiji right now for $50. Then buying an inexpensive ATX-mid case from Canada Computers to stuff it into.

I was thinking that there's not a whole lot of savings in buying a PSU or CPU cooler on kijiji unless I'm looking at high end pieces and so I could grab those from Canada Computers too. Then it's just an SSD and at least 500GB HDD to get, either from kijiji or newegg.

I put that together out of what was available but I dunno how great it'll be.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3743 by vf » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:25 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:
vf wrote:Buy it two years ago.

Heh, idiots building bitcoin mining machines has driven prices up to the point that hardware is selling for more now then it did two years ago. The same models. It's fucking ridiculous.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3744 by vf » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:31 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:Like, I was thinking of grabbing something like this to start off the build: Asrock H97m pro 4 matx and Intel i5 4590 with Intel cooler for $240. Grabbing two sticks of 8GB DDR3 RAM (like this that's on kijiji for $85) and then filling the remaining slots with 4GB sticks to break over the 16GB that my macbook has. Snagging a video card like the Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 that's on kijiji right now for $50. Then buying an inexpensive ATX-mid case from Canada Computers to stuff it into.

I was thinking that there's not a whole lot of savings in buying a PSU or CPU cooler on kijiji unless I'm looking at high end pieces and so I could grab those from Canada Computers too. Then it's just an SSD and at least 500GB HDD to get, either from kijiji or newegg.

Not all RAM is created equally. The lower the timings on the RAM the better and if you mix different speeds it will all slow down to whatever is the slowest. The link you posted the person hasn't linked to anything actually useful for what model RAM it is.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #3745 by WTF » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:45 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:Like, I was thinking of grabbing something like this to start off the build: Asrock H97m pro 4 matx and Intel i5 4590 with Intel cooler for $240. Grabbing two sticks of 8GB DDR3 RAM (like this that's on kijiji for $85) and then filling the remaining slots with 4GB sticks to break over the 16GB that my macbook has. Snagging a video card like the Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 that's on kijiji right now for $50. Then buying an inexpensive ATX-mid case from Canada Computers to stuff it into.

Like tbm, I also usually use PCPartpicker as a reference and then I shop around and price match. Canada Computers, NCIX, DirectCanada (technically also NCIX but they'll price match it). Also Amazon with the Keepa Chrome extension so I can see what the lowest price for a given component was and how recently. For those out west, there's Memory Express (I've heard good things about them) and I've occasionally ordered from Newegg as well.

EDIT: Oh, you can also keep an eye on RFD and the BAPCSALESCANADA subreddit.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #3746 by Thomas Malthus » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:01 pm

So I used the pcpartpicker website to compile the mainly kijiji parts build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/thomas ... ved/3spXLk

That's what the build would look like, assuming the core series for the RAM. The non-kijiji items would be the Acer monitor (which I already own), the case, and the psu. I budgeted the psu and case as $50 each. Total cost based on kijiji prices (and the $50 ea. for PSU and case) would be $660.

Does that look any good? I really have a budget as high as ~$1000 but I feel like I'll get fucked if I try and buy things new.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #3747 by Thomas Malthus » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:02 pm

vf wrote:

Not all RAM is created equally. The lower the timings on the RAM the better and if you mix different speeds it will all slow down to whatever is the slowest. The link you posted the person hasn't linked to anything actually useful for what model RAM it is.

Can you tell me a bit more about this?

EDIT: Found a video and webpage of someone explaining a bit more about this. Found it useful. http://www.homepcbuilder.com/lesson-3-m ... andwidths/
clawfirst
Registered Broad

Post #3748 by clawfirst » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:41 pm

Just pm hs. He probably has six just sitting in the corner
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #3749 by WTF » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:48 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:So I used the pcpartpicker website to compile the mainly kijiji parts build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/thomas ... ved/3spXLk

That's what the build would look like, assuming the core series for the RAM. The non-kijiji items would be the Acer monitor (which I already own), the case, and the psu. I budgeted the psu and case as $50 each. Total cost based on kijiji prices (and the $50 ea. for PSU and case) would be $660.

Does that look any good? I really have a budget as high as ~$1000 but I feel like I'll get fucked if I try and buy things new.

This would be my personal experience with SSDs so take it with a grain of salt. The one ADATA drive I picked up didn't last very long before crapping out, nor did the Sandisk replacement I opted for.

No issues so far with the Samsung 850 EVOs I'm using for the Intel NUC (M.2 for the OS drive and a SATA version for storage) I'm typing up this message on but those are a bit pricier. The SATA drive is probably overkill but this is one of my new favourite toys and the intent was to use the NUC for my home office area/secondary Steam in-home streaming device.

Bang-for-buck, I was also eyeballing the Crucial MX300 and I'm still mentally kicking myself for not pulling the trigger when the 750 GB version of it went on sale for under $200 a while back (I think it was around $170). They don't even seem to sell the 750 GB version any more but they do sell the 275 GB and 525 GB versions.

EDIT: Faulty memory on my part. The first SSD I had a problem with was an OCZ, not an ADATA.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #3750 by MP » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:29 am

Thomas Malthus wrote:Okay fellas, I'm looking to build a computer myself and I know you lot are fucking nerds that can help me (we're all nerds, just different flavours). This will be my first build and I do want to build it myself.

You're married now, have a kid and let them build it...

They're already better than you.

Return to “The Auston Matthews show”