*NSFW* - Professor Dickman's Office Hours and Sometimes Leafs Lounge. Virgin 4.0

WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 169 times
Received rep: 249 times

Re: *NSFW* - VCX and Stan Mutual Pleasure Fred and Sometimes Leafs Lounge. Virgin 4.0

Post #3301 by WTF » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:00 pm

Posted it over on the general broad but just in case anyone here is interested in it:

Based on Neil Gaiman's book.
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 92 times
Received rep: 143 times

Re: *NSFW* - VCX and Stan Mutual Pleasure Fred and Sometimes Leafs Lounge. Virgin 4.0

Post #3302 by MonkeyWrench » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:24 pm

So I haven't been on facebook in maybe 6 years. I deactivated my account then and haven't been on since. Recently got a txt from a buddy saying he just saw my account again. I didn't believe him at first but while he was picking me up yesterday he showed the proof. Weird...

So I can only assume I was hacked in some way. I went through the traditional way of recovering/re-setting the password which is a security code getting emailed to me. I got it, I was prompted to re-set my password, and I thought all was good. After doing that stuff on their website I got this msg on the same web page: "We have successfully reviewed your ID and sent an email to the address you provided. Please click the link in the email to regain access to your account."

So they did infact send me an email within seconds...but there's no link to click on in the email.... The only link in the email was for IF I didn't do anything and all this information is new to me: "If you did this, you can safely disregard this email. If you didn't do this, please secure your account." Secure your account is the only url'd link.

I rarely dabble in social media stuff, but my technological sense is up there. So I'm not missing anything in that email. Odd to say the least. Help?
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #3303 by WTF » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Once you're sure it's set to only send security confirmation and password reset emails to an email account you control (that shows no sign of being compromised), enable 2FA (Two-Factor Authentication).
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 79 times
Received rep: 270 times

Post #3304 by Thomas Malthus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:46 pm

I'm not super tech or social media savvy but my usual go to when something like this happens is to do a quick search on the internet and then if I can't find people who recently had the same problem then I send an email to the website.
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
"[...]all models are wrong, some are useful." - George E. P. Box
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad

Post #3305 by MonkeyWrench » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:47 pm

WTF wrote:Once you're sure it's set to only send security confirmation and password reset emails to an email account you control (that shows no sign of being compromised), enable 2FA (Two-Factor Authentication).

That's more than reasonable so thanks. But I don't have access to the account in the first place, which is something you need I believe to enable that. Either the old password was changed, or I just forgot it.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #3306 by WTF » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:47 pm

Also, avoid reusing passwords for different sites.
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 143 times
Received rep: 252 times

Post #3307 by MP » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:02 pm

My guess is Facebook bumps inactive users to try and bring you back...
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad

Post #3308 by MonkeyWrench » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Yea as soon as I get access I'm deleting this puppy. That's for sure.
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad

Post #3309 by MonkeyWrench » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Finally got things set up. Of all things that were a 'person knowledge' question, the one I got right was my birthdate. Crazy shit facebook...

I got 2FA set up though and deactivated once again. Thanks WTF!
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #3310 by WTF » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:24 pm

No problem. 2FA isn't a magic bullet but it does make it a lot harder for people to get access to your accounts.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #3311 by Thomas Malthus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:56 pm

For a while I had really bad passwords and reused the same password across some sites. I got one of those password manager apps. Now I have two really strong passwords that I create and can remember (one for email and another for the manager), and I use the manager to auto-generate passwords for all other websites and apps. Only concern is about how safe my data is with the manager's company. Anyways, I feel better about my online security since doing that.
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 393 times
Received rep: 163 times

Post #3312 by paulster » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:20 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:For a while I had really bad passwords and reused the same password across some sites. I got one of those password manager apps. Now I have two really strong passwords that I create and can remember (one for email and another for the manager), and I use the manager to auto-generate passwords for all other websites and apps. Only concern is about how safe my data is with the manager's company. Anyways, I feel better about my online security since doing that.

What I do is use the same crazy-ass password for everything, but each site gets 2 letters added to the end of it, and I just use the first two letters of what site it is.

For example, this one would be ********ho - Facebook would be ********fa

Keeps them all different, seems to work for me.

Also MW this website is worth a check: https://haveibeenpwned.com/
paulster
Registered Broad

Post #3313 by paulster » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:16 pm

Okay there's an expert on this small bored for everythning. Here's my sitch:

I've got a turntable (a DUAL 530) and I am trying to adjust the starting point where the tonearm puts the stylus to drop down on the record. Currently it's juuuuuust too far off so the needle drops and it just falls off the outside of the record. So annoying . I can nudge it in a cunthair and it'll drop properly, but that's just not right.

Anyway I've found what I think is supposed to adjust this thing, something called an eccentric bolt, but i can't seem to make the proper adjustment. How much am I supposed to turn this thing? How do I know it's even working? I'm afraid that I may have turned it way too much and now it's all out of whack.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone knows how to troubleshoot and adjust the automatic start point for a record player.
Zardoz
Registered Broad
Received rep: 145 times

Post #3314 by Zardoz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:59 pm

That is something in my years of owning turntables I've never come across. I've owned about 10 different brands over the years, mostly bought used, but never had an autostart misaligned. My current turntable doesn't even have an auto start start feature, I have to drop and lift the needle manually.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[SIZE="1"]Bring us your idiots, your hussies, your blue and your dreamy. Your steady, your huddled, your fisted and creamy. Your villains, your filthy, your cunts and your meese. Your carpenters and fishers and pastors and beasts. Your rednecks, your Safas, your trolls and your Brits. And like all good sailors, we like us some tits.[/size]
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 142 times
Received rep: 276 times

Post #3315 by clawfirst » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:14 pm

Clearly the answer is hit it with a hammer
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #3316 by WTF » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:17 pm

The last record player I owned was a Fisher-Price one so I've got nothing.

tbm
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 55 times
Received rep: 62 times

Post #3317 by tbm » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:46 pm

paulster wrote:Okay there's an expert on this small bored for everythning. Here's my sitch:

I've got a turntable (a DUAL 530) and I am trying to adjust the starting point where the tonearm puts the stylus to drop down on the record. Currently it's juuuuuust too far off so the needle drops and it just falls off the outside of the record. So annoying . I can nudge it in a cunthair and it'll drop properly, but that's just not right.

Anyway I've found what I think is supposed to adjust this thing, something called an eccentric bolt, but i can't seem to make the proper adjustment. How much am I supposed to turn this thing? How do I know it's even working? I'm afraid that I may have turned it way too much and now it's all out of whack.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone knows how to troubleshoot and adjust the automatic start point for a record player.

The eccentric bolt or screw is for fine adjustments, you likely need to get into the tonearm assembly to loosen it up and lubricate everything inside there. If you are not comfortable doing it just take it in for a tune up. Shouldn't cost you more than $30-40 to fix it.
paulster
Registered Broad

Post #3318 by paulster » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:32 pm

tbm wrote:
paulster wrote:Okay there's an expert on this small bored for everythning. Here's my sitch:

The eccentric bolt or screw is for fine adjustments, you likely need to get into the tonearm assembly to loosen it up and lubricate everything inside there. If you are not comfortable doing it just take it in for a tune up. Shouldn't cost you more than $30-40 to fix it.

Where do you take it? Record store? Just call around?

I found one guy in St. Thomas, the "Dual Doctor" - he says he's booked until June and charges $160+ for servicing ha ha ha!! No thanks bud!
tbm
Registered Broad

Post #3319 by tbm » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:43 pm

Look around on craigslist/kijiji for someone local that works on turntables or vintage stereo components. There should be a few people that do this out of their home to avoid the overhead. I found an awesome bench technician this way who is very reasonable and much cheaper than taking equipment to get serviced at a shop.
VLoo
Has given rep: 50 times
Received rep: 72 times

Post #3320 by VLoo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:23 pm

WTF wrote:Posted it over on the general broad but just in case anyone here is interested in it:

Please don't fuck this up.

Ian McShane is an A+ casting choice though.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #3321 by WTF » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:30 pm

VLoo wrote:
WTF wrote:Posted it over on the general broad but just in case anyone here is interested in it:

Please don't fuck this up.

Ian McShane is an A+ casting choice though.

I really want this to be good. They've got a good cast and it's based on an enjoyable novel.
VLoo
Has given rep: 50 times
Received rep: 72 times

Post #3322 by VLoo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:48 pm

American Gods is an all-timer for me, so I also hope it is done well.
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 239 times
Received rep: 165 times

Post #3323 by vf » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:04 pm

vf wrote:https://www.thestar.com/sports/2017/02/23/fox-pulls-plug-on-onrait-and-otoole-prompting-speculation-theyre-headed-back-to-canada.html

Hoping Jay and Dan make it back to TSN.

And they're coming back this September in their old time slot.

http://www.bardown.com/canadians-rejoic ... e-1.684427
LeafErikson
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 80 times
Received rep: 136 times

Post #3324 by LeafErikson » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:42 am

Anyone watch Legion?
tbm
Registered Broad

Post #3325 by tbm » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:43 pm

Have always been a huge fan of tech but I have to admit this creeps me out.

MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad

Post #3326 by MonkeyWrench » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:19 pm

The first video showed the robot walking over uneven terrain. Very impressive. I wonder how much of that recovery from imbalance was manual control from an operator, or if it's all automatic via the programming.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #3327 by WTF » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:01 pm

LeafErikson wrote:Anyone watch Legion?

Watching it and enjoying it.
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad

Post #3328 by MonkeyWrench » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:55 pm

I'll be honest, I went full Goldberg on my entrance home after spending 2 months in life's delicate cradle.

...thank god the fire alarms didn't go off.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #3329 by Thomas Malthus » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:06 pm

LOL
LeafErikson
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 80 times
Received rep: 136 times

Post #3330 by LeafErikson » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:27 pm

WTF wrote:

It's pretty good, eh? Trippy, and just overall different from anything else from Marvel on T.V. Ya, it's not Marvel proper. Anyway, pretty well done so far. I saw some people complaining about the special effects, but I don't think it's that bad for a 1st season.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #3331 by WTF » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:49 pm

LeafErikson wrote:
WTF wrote:

It's pretty good, eh? Trippy, and just overall different from anything else from Marvel on T.V. Ya, it's not Marvel proper. Anyway, pretty well done so far. I saw some people complaining about the special effects, but I don't think it's that bad for a 1st season.

It's definitely trippy. I think the special effects are fine and certain scenes are intended to be jarring. I like the use of an unreliable narrator and it makes perfect sense in the context of the series.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #3332 by WTF » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:59 pm

Alright, this week's episode of Legion was crazy.

cawbber
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 129 times
Received rep: 78 times

Post #3333 by cawbber » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:12 pm

MonkeyWrench wrote:The first video showed the robot walking over uneven terrain. Very impressive. I wonder how much of that recovery from imbalance was manual control from an operator, or if it's all automatic via the programming.

via the programming - I've seen variations of this over the years. It's been steadily improving over that time to the point where It's terrifyingly agile.
paulster
Registered Broad

Post #3334 by paulster » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:17 pm

Shittier house across the street just sold for 1.1M. Looking seriously at getting the fuck out of the GTA and moving west for a mortgage-free lifestyle. Any of you well travelled gentlemen have any input as to what it's like living in Calgary and/or preferably interior BC?
Like, how hard is it to get jobs, are these places actually kind of depressing, etc.
If it matters I'm in telecom and wife is a high school teacher.

I've always hated where I live.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3335 by vf » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:42 pm

Wasn't in Calgary long, but, it was a nice city. Felt very small town as the city is very wide. Teaching is tough to get into almost anywhere in the country from what I've heard from friends who did/do teach.

That money would go further by going East, but, depends on what your checklist is.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #3336 by Thomas Malthus » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:14 pm

Come to Ottawa, paulie.
paulster
Registered Broad

Post #3337 by paulster » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:17 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:Come to Ottawa, paulie.

That's not a bad idea, actually. What's the house pricing situation like out there?

Here is nuts. every listing gets a lineup of 15+ people making offers 200k over asking.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 12 times
Received rep: 137 times

Post #3338 by mooseOAK » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:21 pm

BC instituted a 15% tax on foreign house buyers so the Chinese money shifted to Toronto.
Zardoz
Registered Broad
Received rep: 145 times

Post #3339 by Zardoz » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:38 pm

Hamilton has been good to us since we moved here three years ago. We're in a great neighborhood. But the prrices in our area are crazy too. We paid 210,000 and could easily sell for 350,000 or more, and the average here is about 30 thousand over asking, plus listing rarely last more than 8 hours.
We've heard stories of Toronto folks coming in to their agents office on a Saturday morning and just sitting and waiting for things to get listed so they can be first in. Idiots...

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]Bring us your idiots, your hussies, your blue and your dreamy. Your steady, your huddled, your fisted and creamy. Your villains, your filthy, your cunts and your meese. Your carpenters and fishers and pastors and beasts. Your rednecks, your Safas, your trolls and your Brits. And like all good sailors, we like us some tits.[/size]
paulster
Registered Broad

Post #3340 by paulster » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:06 pm

Zardoz wrote:Hamilton has been good to us since we moved here three years ago. We're in a great neighborhood. But the prrices in our area are crazy too. We paid 210,000 and could easily sell for 350,000 or more, and the average here is about 30 thousand over asking, plus listing rarely last more than 8 hours.
We've heard stories of Toronto folks coming in to their agents office on a Saturday morning and just sitting and waiting for things to get listed so they can be first in. Idiots...

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

In laws moved to the hammer 2 years ago and it's just as crazy.

Here in Milton, a shittier house across the street listed for 868, had 15 agents lined up last night. Sold for 1.12.
My realtor buddy says my better house on a better lot would go for 1.3, maybe 1.4 right now. We paid 670 in 2014. Fucking nuts.

We are looking at selling our house and having a million bucks cash after paying the mortgage off. I'm not sure how we can refuse this, expecially since I've wanted out of the GTA since I was a kid.

Wife and I have lucked in to the perfect jobs though, and with kids/family it's a tough sell. But fuck, mortgage free at 37... that's thee dream, man.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #3341 by Thomas Malthus » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:14 pm

paulster wrote:
Thomas Malthus wrote:Come to Ottawa, paulie.

That's not a bad idea, actually. What's the house pricing situation like out there?

Here is nuts. every listing gets a lineup of 15+ people making offers 200k over asking.

Even my old stomping grounds of Peterborough are seeing prices jumping significantly as more people are trading home ownership for longer commutes.

As for Ottawa prices: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ot ... -1.3887110

Estimate from December by Re/Max has average house price at $378, 000 (the average is probably a better measure than in places like Toronto where outliers can really skew things, but even still I wish it were reported by median values).

You might find this CMHC tool useful (though I admit that I mainly use to for rent prices, I'm not sure how much there is in the way of house prices): https://www03.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/hmiportal ... 5/3/Ottawa

And here's CMHC's housing market outlook publication for Ottawa from the fall: https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/odpub/esub/ ... 1434256239
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3342 by vf » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:16 pm

Here in NB 190-250k gets you a good 3/4bedroom 2+ bath in the burbs around Fredericton.
stoney
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 120 times
Received rep: 46 times

Post #3343 by stoney » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:32 pm

vf wrote:Here in NB 190-250k gets you a good 3/4bedroom 2+ bath in the burbs around Fredericton.

I'm dead nuts in the middle of Halifax for 345k.

Like you Paul, my brother is in Milton, paid 360 6 or so years ago, now shittier places are going for 800+. Kind of sad I missed out on that type of work-free profit, but I also think it's insane.
paulster
Registered Broad

Post #3344 by paulster » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:16 pm

Milton is also the worst. So it's even more mind bottling.
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 142 times
Received rep: 276 times

Post #3345 by clawfirst » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:38 pm

Kinda sad i didnt buy something when i was 19 making 75k a year....

Seems like a bubble..........
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 143 times
Received rep: 252 times

Post #3346 by MP » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:34 am

Kingston is about $380kish for a 4 bedroom 2,500 sqft on a 50x120 lot, and only a couple hours down the road from Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal...
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 22 times
Received rep: 101 times

Post #3347 by Whit Dickman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:47 am

let's change the thread title given that VCX and Stan both predictably flamed out.

p.s. - I got a faculty position back home in Sasky! parents are very excited that they will be closer to their grandkids.
paulster
Registered Broad

Post #3348 by paulster » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:50 pm

Whit Dickman wrote:let's change the thread title given that VCX and Stan both predictably flamed out.

p.s. - I got a faculty position back home in Sasky! parents are very excited that they will be closer to their grandkids.

The savings on your cell phone bill alone is worth the move!
paulster
Registered Broad

Post #3349 by paulster » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:52 pm

MP wrote:Kingston is about $380kish for a 4 bedroom 2,500 sqft on a 50x120 lot, and only a couple hours down the road from Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal...

Or if you're travelling by sailboat, only 20 hours!
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 22 times
Received rep: 101 times

Post #3350 by Whit Dickman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:10 pm

paulster wrote:
Whit Dickman wrote:let's change the thread title given that VCX and Stan both predictably flamed out.

The savings on your cell phone bill alone is worth the move!

I'm actually in Connecticut at the moment, so my cell phone bill is already way less than in Ontario (even with the shit exchange rate)

Return to “The Auston Matthews show”