*NSFW* - Professor Dickman's Office Hours and Sometimes Leafs Lounge. Virgin 4.0

clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 295 times
Received rep: 499 times

Re: *NSFW* - Professor Dickman's Office Hours and Sometimes Leafs Lounge. Virgin 4.0

Post #3451 by clawfirst » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:29 pm

This is a problem that needs to be delt with and we all know what it is. The prior administration did it right. Quietly...with a fuck ton of intelligence co op and drone strikes.

You dont openly declare war unless you have another agenda and want to instigate aggression.
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 513 times
Received rep: 284 times

Re: *NSFW* - Professor Dickman's Office Hours and Sometimes Leafs Lounge. Virgin 4.0

Post #3452 by vf » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:55 pm

They half got it. Did nothing to stop the proliferation of Isis though. They can't just bomb a country, have to rebuild the thing afterwards.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 51 times
Received rep: 157 times

Post #3453 by Whit Dickman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:32 pm

vf wrote:What's sad is that people are still too fucking stupid and keep blaming it on immigrants and a religion. Has nothing to do at all with countless wars the west has either helped with or instigated and all the coups. Nothing to do with all the bombings. Nah, it's that damned religion.

Has *something* to do with religion. Do you kill people and expect to die without believing that you will nonetheless live forever in paradise (and, in fact, the killing will facilitate that)?
akiberg
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 121 times
Received rep: 123 times

Post #3454 by akiberg » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 pm

*nothing* to do with religion.
that's quite a statement.
“No country would find 173 billion barrels of oil in the ground and just leave them there.”
Justin Trudeau
tbm
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 56 times
Received rep: 63 times

Post #3455 by tbm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:14 am

France, Germany, England. Perhaps certain religions/ideologies just aren't compatible with the rest of the world.
tbm
Registered Broad

Post #3456 by tbm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:16 am

Are we allowed to be talking about stuff like this in Canada anymore?
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 567 times
Received rep: 420 times

Post #3457 by Curry Rage » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:33 am

It has something to do with Islam, but I think people grossly oversell the importance of that observation. In the end, a policy to prevent attacks comes down to discovering means, method and opportunity and trying to shut those down. Ideology has a role to play, but wanting to kill me for a spot in heaven and wanting to kill me to usher in the Communist Future doesn't make much difference to me. It might help me figure out where to find you, but it's not a key to stopping you killing me. There isn't a direct causal relationship between reading a Quran and killing people. All the steps in between are where we need to focus our energies. There's an ideological component, but it's far more specific than "religion" or "Islam".

A look at the 20th Century shows that we've lived through a lot of terrorism in the West. There were dozens of attacks by political extremists of one sort or another including revolutionary nationalists, communists, fascists, etc. Globally, the same is true. In the 1970s there was terrorism in the Middle East, but a lot of it was secular in nature like the PLO and other types of Arab national/Ba'athist politics. The difference now is the globalisation of the attacks which have followed the globalisation of political and economic power as well as travel and movement. It's a lot easier for, say, a British person to contextualise and - if not sympathise with - to understand the more subtle motivations of, say, an Irish guy wanting a united Ireland than some guy hanging out in a camp in the dusty desert somewhere because an Irish guy more or less looks like me, thinks like me, lives like me and I have a view into their lives. There's also the globalising effect of media. Only a dedicated news hound would've known about all the terrorist activity across the world in a print-dominated media environment. Now, news of an attack moves across the globe almost in real time. I read about details of the attacks on Saturday evening from a friend posting on FB from Canada. Suddenly, something far away can feel local and personal. Of course, political actors are trying to weaponise that anxiety to appropriate power to themselves.

Of course, another feature of the attacks in Britain/Europe is that many (most?) of the perps are British/European-born. They tend to be second generation Europeans. I don't think we can ignore the idea - presented by a number of terrorism experts - that alienation among young people, and males specifically, is a breeding ground for young men looking to make their mark by believing in and doing something extreme. Is there an element of terrorism which is a backlash of our own society against itself? I think that's another question that needs tackling. The obverse of this is the alt right/Identitarian movement. Again, we see alienated young people (mostly male) kicking back at a system they feel has failed to deliver them meaning and purpose. They find solidarity and personal meaning in toying with extreme ideas and solutions, only in their case borrowed from fascism/traditionalism/racism. We also see terrorist attacks coming from that population. What they both share is a sense of cultural dislocation.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3458 by Curry Rage » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:37 am

Whit Dickman wrote:
vf wrote:What's sad is that people are still too fucking stupid and keep blaming it on immigrants and a religion. Has nothing to do at all with countless wars the west has either helped with or instigated and all the coups. Nothing to do with all the bombings. Nah, it's that damned religion.

Has *something* to do with religion. Do you kill people and expect to die without believing that you will nonetheless live forever in paradise (and, in fact, the killing will facilitate that)?

Yes. Do you suppose the Red Brigades were secretly religious? Do family annihilators do it for the virgins?
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 410 times
Received rep: 446 times

Post #3459 by Philthy Thrillz » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:28 am

I wish I could believe that when I die I'm going to pop 40 virgins. Sadly, im just worm food.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3460 by Curry Rage » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:30 am

Philthy Thrillz wrote:I wish I could believe that when I die I'm going to pop 40 virgins. Sadly, im just worm food.

Totally. But I'd still put my life on the line and kill you if you threatened my family.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 9 times

Post #3461 by Bernie Bernbaum » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:06 am

Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3462 by Curry Rage » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:21 am

Piggy! So good to see you.

Fer serious.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 513 times
Received rep: 284 times

Post #3463 by vf » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:00 am

Whit Dickman wrote:

Curry covered this off pretty well. If I get shot in the Southside of Chicago from gang violence will that make me feel better about it? Poverty and war coupled with no chance of a future has created these zealots. Zealots the West helped train and supplied with weaponry. Religion is just a vehicle for their hate. It's not the cause of it.
tbm
Registered Broad

Post #3464 by tbm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:13 pm

Bernie Bernbaum wrote:
tbm wrote:France, Germany, England. Perhaps certain religions/ideologies just aren't compatible with the rest of the world.

If you're talking about violent Wahhabism/Salafism, you're right. If you're talking about the various strains of Islam practiced by the vast majority of western Muslims, then you're either a) misinformed about the beliefs of most Muslims, or b) lying to yourself so that you can feel better about suggesting we deny basic rights to millions of innocent people.

I believe it was pretty clear I was talking about Islam which is also a political ideology and not Muslims, a race, in my statement. I'm not in agreement with any ideology that is bigoted, racist, misogynistic, homophobic and which doesn't support free speech or expression.
Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad

Post #3465 by Bernie Bernbaum » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad

Post #3466 by Bernie Bernbaum » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:54 pm

Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad

Post #3467 by Bernie Bernbaum » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:03 pm

tbm
Registered Broad

Post #3468 by tbm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:08 pm

"I'm not in agreement with any ideology that is bigoted, racist, misogynistic, homophobic and which doesn't support free speech or expression."
Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad

Post #3469 by Bernie Bernbaum » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:14 pm

tbm
Registered Broad

Post #3470 by tbm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:19 pm

I'm talking about Islam, the religion.
Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad

Post #3471 by Bernie Bernbaum » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3472 by Curry Rage » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:25 pm

tbm wrote:I'm talking about Islam, the religion.

Which one??
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 753 times
Received rep: 349 times

Post #3473 by paulster » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:58 pm

tbm wrote:I'm talking about Islam, the religion.

Islamist or Islamic? Apparently there's a massive difference :paulrus:
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3474 by Curry Rage » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:10 pm

Well, you had to know it was coming. Just had my first contact with people calling the attacks in London a false flag.
:nucks: :nucks: :nucks: :nucks:
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad

Post #3475 by Bernie Bernbaum » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:13 pm

Zardoz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 224 times

Post #3476 by Zardoz » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:18 pm

Technically Mormons and Johovas are Christian, and they are fucking crazy.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[SIZE="1"]Bring us your idiots, your hussies, your blue and your dreamy. Your steady, your huddled, your fisted and creamy. Your villains, your filthy, your cunts and your meese. Your carpenters and fishers and pastors and beasts. Your rednecks, your Safas, your trolls and your Brits. And like all good sailors, we like us some tits.[/size]
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 287 times
Received rep: 497 times

Post #3477 by WTF » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:49 pm

I've had the opportunity to work with people from diverse cultural and religious backgrounds and by and large, people are people.

The Muslims I've worked with have been some of the nicest people I've met and like everyone else, there are the usual concerns about kids and education, the cost of housing in the GTA, coping with a winter commute, and they're just as prone to fall for Apple's marketing as anyone else.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #3478 by WTF » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:07 pm

Bernie Bernbaum wrote:
paulster wrote:Islamist or Islamic? Apparently there's a massive difference :paulrus:

Compare a Christian who believes in the bible but also believes in separation of church and state vs. an evangelical who wants the Canadian constitution replaced with the ten commandments. It's a huge difference.

Yeah, basically the difference between contextualists and fundamentalists, from my religion classes. I attended a Catholic high school and the teachers made it a point to ensure that we were educated as contextualists and to understand the historical, social and cultural factors at play when different parts of the Bible were written.

Also, Ezekiel may have described an encounter with a UFO and its crew (Ezekiel 1:4-28).
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #3479 by Philthy Thrillz » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Curry Rage wrote:
Philthy Thrillz wrote:I wish I could believe that when I die I'm going to pop 40 virgins. Sadly, im just worm food.

Totally. But I'd still put my life on the line and kill you if you threatened my family.

Absolutely, as any man should.
tbm
Registered Broad

Post #3480 by tbm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Curry Rage wrote:It has something to do with Islam, but I think people grossly oversell the importance of that observation. In the end, a policy to prevent attacks comes down to discovering means, method and opportunity and trying to shut those down. Ideology has a role to play, but wanting to kill me for a spot in heaven and wanting to kill me to usher in the Communist Future doesn't make much difference to me. It might help me figure out where to find you, but it's not a key to stopping you killing me. There isn't a direct causal relationship between reading a Quran and killing people. All the steps in between are where we need to focus our energies. There's an ideological component, but it's far more specific than "religion" or "Islam".

Belief dictates behavior.
tbm
Registered Broad

Post #3481 by tbm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:27 pm

vf wrote:Curry covered this off pretty well. If I get shot in the Southside of Chicago from gang violence will that make me feel better about it? Poverty and war coupled with no chance of a future has created these zealots. Zealots the West helped train and supplied with weaponry. Religion is just a vehicle for their hate. It's not the cause of it.

Go back before present day or even the last few decades (wars), or even before anyone dropped a bomb on anyone...what is the one constant in all of this hate?
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #3482 by WTF » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:31 pm

tbm wrote:
vf wrote:Curry covered this off pretty well. If I get shot in the Southside of Chicago from gang violence will that make me feel better about it? Poverty and war coupled with no chance of a future has created these zealots. Zealots the West helped train and supplied with weaponry. Religion is just a vehicle for their hate. It's not the cause of it.

Go back before present day or even the last few decades (wars), or even before anyone dropped a bomb on anyone...what is the one constant in all of this hate?

If you ask a Buddhist, they'd say that desire is the cause of all suffering (it is one of the Four Noble Truths). Desire for power, wealth, resources, land, hegemony, etc.
Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad

Post #3483 by Bernie Bernbaum » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:41 pm

clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 295 times
Received rep: 499 times

Post #3484 by clawfirst » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:43 pm

Ahh the great muslim race.

That's where they line up and crawl to mecca on their faces right...
tbm
Registered Broad

Post #3485 by tbm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:48 pm

Bernie Bernbaum wrote:TBM, how can you possibly think you are well informed enough to talk about Islam — at all — when you tried to tell someone that Muslims are a race this morning?

Yes I made a blunder but I'll talk about what ever I want to.
akiberg
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 121 times
Received rep: 123 times

Post #3486 by akiberg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:49 pm

Bernie Bernbaum wrote:TBM, how can you possibly think you are well informed enough to talk about Islam — at all — when you tried to tell someone that Muslims are a race this morning?

i think this is ignorant, hurtful and exclusionary.
“No country would find 173 billion barrels of oil in the ground and just leave them there.”
Justin Trudeau
tbm
Registered Broad

Post #3487 by tbm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:50 pm

WTF wrote:
tbm wrote:

If you ask a Buddhist, they'd say that desire is the cause of all suffering (it is one of the Four Noble Truths). Desire for power, wealth, resources, land, hegemony, etc.

What do Buddhist's practice?
Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad

Post #3488 by Bernie Bernbaum » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:53 pm

tbm
Registered Broad

Post #3489 by tbm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:59 pm

Bernie there are people in Canada now preaching in mosques to kill Jews/non-believers, this isn't just occurring in Europe. As I said I'll talk about what ever I please.
tbm
Registered Broad

Post #3490 by tbm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:03 pm

akiberg wrote:

i think this is ignorant, hurtful and exclusionary.

We need more motions passed (which can turn into bills, which can turn into laws) in Canada with no definition instead of actually talking about it, because it will fix everything.
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #3491 by Philthy Thrillz » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:08 pm

We should make a religious fred, it'd be right up there with the politik fred.
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #3492 by Philthy Thrillz » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:10 pm

Next think you know Jews won't be a race. :stare:
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #3493 by WTF » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:10 pm

tbm wrote:
WTF wrote:
tbm wrote:

Following the Eightfold Path.
tbm
Registered Broad

Post #3494 by tbm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:10 pm

tbm wrote:Bernie there are people in Canada now preaching in mosques to kill Jews/non-believers, this isn't just occurring in Europe. As I said I'll talk about what ever I please.

Montreal a few months back,

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world ... y-theories
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #3495 by Curry Rage » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:13 pm

tbm wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:It has something to do with Islam, but I think people grossly oversell the importance of that observation. In the end, a policy to prevent attacks comes down to discovering means, method and opportunity and trying to shut those down. Ideology has a role to play, but wanting to kill me for a spot in heaven and wanting to kill me to usher in the Communist Future doesn't make much difference to me. It might help me figure out where to find you, but it's not a key to stopping you killing me. There isn't a direct causal relationship between reading a Quran and killing people. All the steps in between are where we need to focus our energies. There's an ideological component, but it's far more specific than "religion" or "Islam".

Belief dictates behavior.

Sure, but in this case a belief "more specific than "religion" or "Islam"."
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
tbm
Registered Broad

Post #3496 by tbm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:22 pm

WTF wrote:
tbm wrote:
WTF wrote:

Following the Eightfold Path.

So basically religion.
Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad

Post #3497 by Bernie Bernbaum » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:23 pm

Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad

Post #3498 by Bernie Bernbaum » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:25 pm

tbm
Registered Broad

Post #3499 by tbm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:44 pm

Bernie Bernbaum wrote:
tbm wrote:Bernie there are people in Canada now preaching in mosques to kill Jews/non-believers, this isn't just occurring in Europe. As I said I'll talk about what ever I please.

And there are Christian Canadians on Stormfront who think we should cleanse North America of Jews, blacks, the indigenous and anyone else who isn't a Hitler youth. There are fundamentalist Christians who still worship at churches that believe homosexuality is a sin that should be punishable by death. For some reason you don't seem to confuse that small group of extremist with other Canadians who worship the same God.

If the only things you're willing to read about are about the extremists, you will have — and you clearly do have — not a goddamn clue about typical Canadian Muslims. It's amazing that you think anyone should take you seriously on a subject you know nothing about. It's unnerving that you'll call for the discrimination of millions of people without taking five minutes to learn who the people you wish to discriminate against actually are.

I have only touched on the brainwashed cowards that spread their hate and those that have killed innocent people and children like at the concert last week. It's too bad you still can't tell the difference.
tbm
Registered Broad

Post #3500 by tbm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Bernie Bernbaum wrote:
tbm wrote:

Montreal a few months back,

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world ... y-theories

Yes. I read the news.

How do you feel about this, do you condemn it, do you live in Canada?

Return to “The Auston Matthews show”