ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 8356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 223 times
Received rep: 269 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2101 by AGENT ZERO » Tue May 22, 2018 10:42 am

User avatar
vf
Registered Broad
Posts: 16755
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 pm
Has given rep: 454 times
Received rep: 258 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2102 by vf » Tue May 22, 2018 10:49 am

Because he had two guys that wanted the GM job and neither would be happy if the other got it? Smelly indeed.
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 8356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 223 times
Received rep: 269 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2103 by AGENT ZERO » Tue May 22, 2018 10:52 am

It will be interesting to see who is brought in to replace Lou and Hunts.
User avatar
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Posts: 7722
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am
Has given rep: 511 times
Received rep: 522 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2104 by LeafOfBread » Tue May 22, 2018 11:00 am

AGENT ZERO wrote:It will be interesting to see who is brought in to replace Lou and Hunts.

Ron Francis has been mentioned as a potential AGM target.
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 8356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 223 times
Received rep: 269 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2105 by AGENT ZERO » Tue May 22, 2018 11:21 am

LeafOfBread wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:It will be interesting to see who is brought in to replace Lou and Hunts.

Ron Francis has been mentioned as a potential AGM target.


I would really like that, he made some very good moves with Carolina. Most notable were the contracts that he signed Pesce and Slavin too.
User avatar
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Posts: 7722
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am
Has given rep: 511 times
Received rep: 522 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2106 by LeafOfBread » Tue May 22, 2018 11:31 am

User avatar
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Posts: 7722
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am
Has given rep: 511 times
Received rep: 522 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2107 by LeafOfBread » Tue May 22, 2018 11:36 am

Interesting tidbit from Larry Brooks

Chances are Lamoriello will invite kitchen cabinet members Jacques Lemaire and Jacques Caron to join him on the Island. It is unknown whether Lamoriello will attempt to hire David Conte, who ran the Devils amateur scouting operation for more than two decades. We’re told that Lamoriello wanted to bring Conte to Toronto three years ago, but was denied by president Brendan Shanahan. Conte has worked the past two seasons as part of the Vegas player personnel department and is four victories away from a fourth Cup ring.


If true I'm happy with that. NJ had a pretty terrible draft record by the end of Conte's tenure.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4898
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 523 times
Received rep: 393 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2108 by Curry Rage » Tue May 22, 2018 11:41 am

AGENT ZERO wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:Looks like Lou is off to the Isles. AZ's dream of landing Tavares likely dashed. Rumblings that Hunter may follow, though I can't understand why - if Lou is supposed to be GM - he'd want to leave being 2IC to be 2IC, unless he really does have a problem working for Dubas.


I doubt Lamoriello is going to impact Tavares decision. If he was going to leave before he will still leave, and vice versa if he was going to stay.


You don't think changing the guy who runs the organisation (i.e. putting one of the most respected names in the sport at the wheel) will effect the decision of their highest-priced employee about whether to stay with that organisation or not? You don't think a star like Tavares takes some interest in who will be making the decisions above him?
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4898
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 523 times
Received rep: 393 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2109 by Curry Rage » Tue May 22, 2018 11:44 am

vf wrote:Because he had two guys that wanted the GM job and neither would be happy if the other got it? Smelly indeed.


Yeah, Hunts just had a glass ceiling installed above his office. They just promoted a young guy personally groomed and recruited by Shanny who's supposed to be the next big thing, while the coach has a 10-year deal, etc. Not surprised he might be a little miffed and hope to go somewhere where the career path has an upward option.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
vf
Registered Broad
Posts: 16755
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 pm
Has given rep: 454 times
Received rep: 258 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2110 by vf » Tue May 22, 2018 11:52 am

Curry Rage wrote:
vf wrote:Because he had two guys that wanted the GM job and neither would be happy if the other got it? Smelly indeed.


Yeah, Hunts just had a glass ceiling installed above his office. They just promoted a young guy personally groomed and recruited by Shanny who's supposed to be the next big thing, while the coach has a 10-year deal, etc. Not surprised he might be a little miffed and hope to go somewhere where the career path has an upward option.


Yep. The other option was do nothing, leave Lou as GM and just postpone the decision while possibly losing one or both of Hunter and Dubas when their contracts expire or promote Hunter and lose Dubas. They had to choose and they did. I think Shanny knew damn well this would be the outcome.
User avatar
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Posts: 7722
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am
Has given rep: 511 times
Received rep: 522 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2111 by LeafOfBread » Tue May 22, 2018 12:01 pm

vf wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:
vf wrote:Because he had two guys that wanted the GM job and neither would be happy if the other got it? Smelly indeed.


Yeah, Hunts just had a glass ceiling installed above his office. They just promoted a young guy personally groomed and recruited by Shanny who's supposed to be the next big thing, while the coach has a 10-year deal, etc. Not surprised he might be a little miffed and hope to go somewhere where the career path has an upward option.


Yep. The other option was do nothing, leave Lou as GM and just postpone the decision while possibly losing one or both of Hunter and Dubas when their contracts expire or promote Hunter and lose Dubas. They had to choose and they did. I think Shanny knew damn well this would be the outcome.

Exactly, no matter what you were gonna lose 2 out of the 3, was just a matter of now vs a couple of years from now.

Not to mention the Leafs almost lost Dubas last summer. Dubas even admitted in a recent interview with Bob McCown that he was a bit disappointed when the opportunity with Colorado was blocked last summer.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4898
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 523 times
Received rep: 393 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2112 by Curry Rage » Tue May 22, 2018 12:14 pm

LeafOfBread wrote:
vf wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:
Yeah, Hunts just had a glass ceiling installed above his office. They just promoted a young guy personally groomed and recruited by Shanny who's supposed to be the next big thing, while the coach has a 10-year deal, etc. Not surprised he might be a little miffed and hope to go somewhere where the career path has an upward option.


Yep. The other option was do nothing, leave Lou as GM and just postpone the decision while possibly losing one or both of Hunter and Dubas when their contracts expire or promote Hunter and lose Dubas. They had to choose and they did. I think Shanny knew damn well this would be the outcome.

Exactly, no matter what you were gonna lose 2 out of the 3, was just a matter of now vs a couple of years from now.

Not to mention the Leafs almost lost Dubas last summer. Dubas even admitted in a recent interview with Bob McCown that he was a bit disappointed when the opportunity with Colorado was blocked last summer.


Babcock said something like "we had a plan before Lou got here." I think Dubas was always the plan.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 8356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 223 times
Received rep: 269 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2113 by AGENT ZERO » Tue May 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Curry Rage wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:Looks like Lou is off to the Isles. AZ's dream of landing Tavares likely dashed. Rumblings that Hunter may follow, though I can't understand why - if Lou is supposed to be GM - he'd want to leave being 2IC to be 2IC, unless he really does have a problem working for Dubas.


I doubt Lamoriello is going to impact Tavares decision. If he was going to leave before he will still leave, and vice versa if he was going to stay.


You don't think changing the guy who runs the organisation (i.e. putting one of the most respected names in the sport at the wheel) will effect the decision of their highest-priced employee about whether to stay with that organisation or not? You don't think a star like Tavares takes some interest in who will be making the decisions above him?


Not enough to alter him staying or leaving, no.
User avatar
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Posts: 7722
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am
Has given rep: 511 times
Received rep: 522 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2114 by LeafOfBread » Tue May 22, 2018 12:23 pm

AGENT ZERO wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:
I doubt Lamoriello is going to impact Tavares decision. If he was going to leave before he will still leave, and vice versa if he was going to stay.


You don't think changing the guy who runs the organisation (i.e. putting one of the most respected names in the sport at the wheel) will effect the decision of their highest-priced employee about whether to stay with that organisation or not? You don't think a star like Tavares takes some interest in who will be making the decisions above him?


Not enough to alter him staying or leaving, no.

I agree. Lou can certainly have an impact still but I think that if Tavares is to stay then he was leaning towards that all along anyways.
User avatar
paulster
Registered Broad
Posts: 1957
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:44 am
Has given rep: 718 times
Received rep: 300 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2115 by paulster » Tue May 22, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: smells bad


Why’s that? Smells to me like they gathered a group of competent individuals and got to pick who they thought was the best one to run the team from now on. Tryouts are over and we have our new GM. Smells fucking awesome.

I like to think all these guys discussed things amicably over expensive scotch overlooking an empty ACC.
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 8356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 223 times
Received rep: 269 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2116 by AGENT ZERO » Tue May 22, 2018 12:34 pm

I agree Paul, and one positive about all of this is that there is no longer a question of there being too many chef's in the kitchen. Dubas is clearly the voice now, and I for one am excited to see how he steers the ship.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4898
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 523 times
Received rep: 393 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2117 by Curry Rage » Tue May 22, 2018 12:41 pm

AGENT ZERO wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:
I doubt Lamoriello is going to impact Tavares decision. If he was going to leave before he will still leave, and vice versa if he was going to stay.


You don't think changing the guy who runs the organisation (i.e. putting one of the most respected names in the sport at the wheel) will effect the decision of their highest-priced employee about whether to stay with that organisation or not? You don't think a star like Tavares takes some interest in who will be making the decisions above him?


Not enough to alter him staying or leaving, no.


I think that's nuts. Tavares will get paid no matter where he plays. The reasons a guy like Tavares would want to play/not play for a team come down whether or not he feels the organisation has a plan in place to make him and the team successful, whether there are adequate non-monetary perks in place and so on. His personal relationship with ownership and management will also be a huge factor. Even his relationship with the coaching staff will matter. We hear from UFAs themselves about how they consider this stuff year after year. I'm not sure why it would be different for Tavares.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Posts: 4426
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:08 pm
Location: Whore Island
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 434 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2118 by Thomas Malthus » Tue May 22, 2018 2:27 pm

My question about how much things were going to change under Dubas considering it was a decision by committee setup are now answered. There's the potential for things to change a lot now that Lou and Hunter are moving on.

I expect Pridham to be promoted and like you guys mentioned, Francis is a name that seems interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if Dubas reached down to the CHL or another lower league to grab someone to run the Marlies but maybe not this year.
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
"[...]all models are wrong, some are useful." - George E. P. Box
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 8356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 223 times
Received rep: 269 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2119 by AGENT ZERO » Tue May 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Curry Rage wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:
You don't think changing the guy who runs the organisation (i.e. putting one of the most respected names in the sport at the wheel) will effect the decision of their highest-priced employee about whether to stay with that organisation or not? You don't think a star like Tavares takes some interest in who will be making the decisions above him?


Not enough to alter him staying or leaving, no.


I think that's nuts. Tavares will get paid no matter where he plays. The reasons a guy like Tavares would want to play/not play for a team come down whether or not he feels the organisation has a plan in place to make him and the team successful, whether there are adequate non-monetary perks in place and so on. His personal relationship with ownership and management will also be a huge factor. Even his relationship with the coaching staff will matter. We hear from UFAs themselves about how they consider this stuff year after year. I'm not sure why it would be different for Tavares.


I just don't buy that, Lamoriello likely won't be around by the time Tavares' extension expires, and even if he is an upgrade he will not be able to turn the Islanders into a contender over night. If Tavares stays I think it will be because his comfort level in Long Island ultimately outweighed other considerations.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4898
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 523 times
Received rep: 393 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2120 by Curry Rage » Tue May 22, 2018 4:12 pm

It's not about when the extension expires, but who will sign it, when it starts and when a good chunk of it will play out. He's 27. He's deciding where to play in his prime years. Lou will be there for that.

By his "comfort level", I assume we don't mean his couch, the hip restaurants in Brooklyn, or the ease of getting call girls to his apartment. We mean his "comfort" that the new ownership group has the organisation going in the right direction.

I wonder why the Isles had Lou sit down with Tavares even before they announced his hiring? Must be a coincidence. Or they think it'll factor into his decision.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Posts: 4426
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:08 pm
Location: Whore Island
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 434 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2121 by Thomas Malthus » Tue May 22, 2018 5:53 pm

Given how much we heard from players about how certain members of the management team influenced their decisions (look no further than some of our recent free agent signings, or even getting Babcock) I think bringing in Lou matters for re-signing Tavares. My question is, is this is too little too late from what has been a totally inept ownership and management group?
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
"[...]all models are wrong, some are useful." - George E. P. Box
User avatar
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Posts: 7722
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am
Has given rep: 511 times
Received rep: 522 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2122 by LeafOfBread » Tue May 22, 2018 6:15 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:Given how much we heard from players about how certain members of the management team influenced their decisions (look no further than some of our recent free agent signings, or even getting Babcock) I think bringing in Lou matters for re-signing Tavares. My question is, is this is too little too late from what has been a totally inept ownership and management group?

IMO if Tavares signs before his UFA window opens then like AZ kinda alluded he was probably leaning that way the whole time anyways. If he goes through the UFA process, meets a bunch of teams and still ends up signing with NYI then I think Lou can be given more credit.
User avatar
paulster
Registered Broad
Posts: 1957
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:44 am
Has given rep: 718 times
Received rep: 300 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2123 by paulster » Tue May 22, 2018 6:32 pm

Tavares probably isn’t a Dubas guy anyway.
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad
Posts: 26968
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:05 pm
Location: KingsTown
Has given rep: 378 times
Received rep: 413 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2124 by Philthy Thrillz » Tue May 22, 2018 7:28 pm

If anything, the Islanders are desperate, and Lou is their last hope. It looks like its more likely JT signs with the Rangers.
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 8356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 223 times
Received rep: 269 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2125 by AGENT ZERO » Tue May 22, 2018 11:13 pm

Curry Rage wrote:It's not about when the extension expires, but who will sign it, when it starts and when a good chunk of it will play out. He's 27. He's deciding where to play in his prime years. Lou will be there for that.

By his "comfort level", I assume we don't mean his couch, the hip restaurants in Brooklyn, or the ease of getting call girls to his apartment. We mean his "comfort" that the new ownership group has the organisation going in the right direction.

I wonder why the Isles had Lou sit down with Tavares even before they announced his hiring? Must be a coincidence. Or they think it'll factor into his decision.


The Isles have been including JT in essentially all of their decision making the past year, including the Weight hiring and he still hasnt signed yet. Like I said above, I think its a factor, but I highly doubt it's a deciding factor.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4898
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 523 times
Received rep: 393 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2126 by Curry Rage » Wed May 23, 2018 3:14 am

With Hunts going as well, it'll be interesting to see what happens with all the bit players in the scouting and other departments. We could be in for a period of real instability. All the wrinkles will work out eventually, but we're coming off of some years of measurable progress and predictability in management. Hopefully no forward momentum is lost.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Posts: 7722
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am
Has given rep: 511 times
Received rep: 522 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2127 by LeafOfBread » Wed May 23, 2018 4:17 am

Curry Rage wrote:With Hunts going as well, it'll be interesting to see what happens with all the bit players in the scouting and other departments. We could be in for a period of real instability. All the wrinkles will work out eventually, but we're coming off of some years of measurable progress and predictability in management. Hopefully no forward momentum is lost.

IIRC they asked Dubas about people leaving the organization either in the presser or another interview and he said something along the lines of being prepared and having potential replacements and personnel changes ready to go in that event. Him and Shanahan are probably prepped and good to go for the 2018 draft already and he probably has a few guys I'm sure he's going to be making calls to in the upcoming days.
User avatar
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Posts: 7722
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am
Has given rep: 511 times
Received rep: 522 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2128 by LeafOfBread » Wed May 23, 2018 4:31 am

Curry Rage wrote:With Hunts going as well, it'll be interesting to see what happens with all the bit players in the scouting and other departments. We could be in for a period of real instability. All the wrinkles will work out eventually, but we're coming off of some years of measurable progress and predictability in management. Hopefully no forward momentum is lost.

So Mirtle kinda touches on it here

It seemed like a pretty good piece of info at the time.

A few weeks ago, I was told the Maple Leafs were all over Ryan McLeod, the 18-year-old, draft-eligible centre playing for the Mississauga Steelheads. A good skater who had 70 points in 68 regular season games, he was slated on most draft lists to go late in the first round, right around when the Leafs will be picking at 25th.

McLeod would also fill an organizational need, given how thin the Leafs’ prospect pool looks down the middle. (Not that you should draft for need, but teams often do.)

Toronto has been watching McLeod closely all year. In fact, they talked to him more than any other NHL team — and not just because they’re in the same neighbourhood. They were really interested.

Emphasis on were. Because I don’t think Kyle Dubas will select him next month in Dallas.

We are a little more than four weeks out from the draft, and the Leafs just lost their top prospect man in Mark Hunter, who choose Door No. 2 on Tuesday rather than work under Toronto’s new GM. This close to the big day, most of the on-the-ground scouting part of the job has been done because, well, hardly any young players are still on the ice, save for the Memorial Cup.

Dubas, not coincidentally, is at that tournament this week in Regina, as he becomes immersed in preparation for the draft. Rather than coast along the course that Hunter and his team of bird dogs plotted out all year, the Leafs are, in late May, going to be making some changes to the organization’s draft philosophy.

Whatever the Leafs’ list looked like a couple weeks ago, make no mistake, it is now dramatically different.

McLeod is probably a good example. The first thing many prospect gurus will tell you is that he is a fine player, one with a lot of tools that should get him into an NHL lineup one day.

But the second thing they’ll say is he’s not really a Dubas pick. McLeod, you see, is a safe, low-ceiling type, someone who probably tops out as a second-line centre, if all things go well. He’s also one of the oldest first-year eligibles in the draft — with a late September birth date — and this was his first season with big point totals in junior.

He would be a fairly conventional pick at 25 — the way Freddy Gauthier was for the Leafs five years ago.

I don’t think the Leafs are going to be very conventional in many respects anymore. And certainly not on draft day.

This focus on draft preparation won’t be a complete departure for the Leafs’ new GM. Dubas always had an inclination that he might get the role at the end of the season. For one, everyone in the organization knew Lou Lamoriello’s contract was up and that Brendan Shanahan had a decision to make.

And Dubas had to know, if he got the job, that one of his first orders of business would be deciding how to handle the draft.

A former OHL scout and GM with the Soo Greyhounds, Dubas has some first-hand experience at the NHL draft. He ran the Leafs’ table back in 2015, when they took Mitch Marner fourth overall in South Florida. You’ll recall Dubas kept trading back, giving up a higher pick for the chance to take two players further back.

The results of that turned into selecting Travis Dermott and Jeremy Bracco, at 34th and 61st. And there were definitely some Moneyball-type calculations at play.

Dubas was spotted at a bunch of draft-related prospect tournaments earlier this year, including some that are relatively obscure, like the under-18 Five Nations. Even though his role as assistant GM meant he was largely focused on running the Marlies, as well as the Leafs’ player development and the analytics departments, Dubas was also keeping close tabs on areas that could become vital should he be named GM.

The draft was No. 1.

“Kyle did more draft work than usual this season,” more than one scout said this week.

It’s going to be interesting how the Leafs’ scouting personnel changes in the next few months. It’s possible some Hunter loyalists leave, including Lindsay Hofford, the former London Knights scouting director who now serves as Toronto’s director of Eastern Area Scouting. (Hofford did not respond to a request for comment on his future on Tuesday.)

Dubas is unlikely to overhaul that group immediately with the draft so close, but there could be new additions in the weeks to come. Certainly the front office has room at this point, and former Hurricanes GM Ron Francis’ name continues to circulate in rumours.

Dubas will want some like-minded folks on the draft floor next month.

Whether “his people” are in place or not, many in the organization expect Dubas will be aggressive in implementing his vision. Every indication is that vision, when it comes to the draft, is much different than Hunter’s.

“Kyle knows what he’s doing,” one staffer said on Tuesday. “He’s prepared… If you knew this was possible for a year, would you not have a complete plan in place to activate on the word go?”

He did. And his trip to the Memorial Cup this week is part of that.

There will be a narrative in the wake of Lamoriello and Hunter leaving that this is a front office in disarray, without two of its top executives. I’ve seen some infer that Shanahan — who was uncharacteristically active in the media, selling his message, on Tuesday — made the wrong choice.

Internally, however, that doesn’t appear to be the mood. Most of those I spoke with this week expressed an optimism about working under Dubas. Many are excited about the new direction.

Their hope is that the Leafs’ front office will be more united, instead of everyone working in silos, the way it often was under Lamoriello. Their hope, too, is that newfound cohesion will be a source of organizational strength.

What’s already clear is that how the Leafs operate is about to be much different.

And that starts with the draft list.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4898
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 523 times
Received rep: 393 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2129 by Curry Rage » Wed May 23, 2018 8:21 am

Most of those I spoke with this week expressed an optimism about working under Dubas. Many are excited about the new direction.


Heh. A couple of squints in the analytics department, you mean?
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4898
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 523 times
Received rep: 393 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2130 by Curry Rage » Wed May 23, 2018 9:01 am

Great to hear Kyle Kalculator has a plan. It's still going to take some doing to ensure everything settles in. It's not like there's a shortage of good people who would love a chance to work for a high profile team like the Leafs should he need to shuffle the deck but there's always some shit that gets lost down the cracks when there's a lot of staff coming and going. That's just how things work. I hope that's kept to a minimum. I also expect a little bit of a learning curve for Dubas, especially on negotiations and such. Learning to read and work people takes practice and there's a lot of other GMs out there who've been doing it for a lot longer.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Posts: 7722
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am
Has given rep: 511 times
Received rep: 522 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2131 by LeafOfBread » Wed May 23, 2018 9:10 am

Curry Rage wrote:Great to hear Kyle Kalculator has a plan. It's still going to take some doing to ensure everything settles in. It's not like there's a shortage of good people who would love a chance to work for a high profile team like the Leafs should he need to shuffle the deck but there's always some shit that gets lost down the cracks when there's a lot of staff coming and going. That's just how things work. I hope that's kept to a minimum. I also expect a little bit of a learning curve for Dubas, especially on negotiations and such. Learning to read and work people takes practice and there's a lot of other GMs out there who've been doing it for a lot longer.

Personally I do hope he hires Francis or Sean Burke rather than bringing in inexperienced guys
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4898
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 523 times
Received rep: 393 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2132 by Curry Rage » Wed May 23, 2018 10:03 am

LeafOfBread wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:Great to hear Kyle Kalculator has a plan. It's still going to take some doing to ensure everything settles in. It's not like there's a shortage of good people who would love a chance to work for a high profile team like the Leafs should he need to shuffle the deck but there's always some shit that gets lost down the cracks when there's a lot of staff coming and going. That's just how things work. I hope that's kept to a minimum. I also expect a little bit of a learning curve for Dubas, especially on negotiations and such. Learning to read and work people takes practice and there's a lot of other GMs out there who've been doing it for a lot longer.

Personally I do hope he hires Francis or Sean Burke rather than bringing in inexperienced guys


Yeah, I'm the same. Whether it's a good thing that the league is full of old "hockey men" is beside the point. It is filled with old school hockey guys and they do put some premium on the old boys' network, experience in the league as a player, etc. It would be good to have a voice that's been around the game to help work that angle when negotiating and provide that point of view in discussions. Ronnie Franchise is a smart, classy guy who's done a bit of everything in the game and is the kind of guy who commands a lot of respect from just about everyone he comes into contact with. He ran that Canes team that beat Quinn's guys all those years ago. You could see the guys on the bench hung on whatever he said. He'd be a great fit.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 8356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 223 times
Received rep: 269 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2133 by AGENT ZERO » Wed May 23, 2018 10:13 am

I'm encouraged to hear that the Dermott draft was lead by Dubas, that was my favourite draft from a philosophical stand-point. It really seemed like there was an emphasis on high end talent throughout which I hope to see continue. I'm also a proponent of trading down to accumulate picks outside the top 10 (unless someone drops unexpectedly).
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4898
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 523 times
Received rep: 393 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2134 by Curry Rage » Wed May 23, 2018 10:48 am

I'm skeptical that it was.

Hunter reportedly argued for Marner over Hanafin (high-end skill) and was known to be scouting Dermott. Babcock said something like "get Hunts some picks" or whatever.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 8356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 223 times
Received rep: 269 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2135 by AGENT ZERO » Wed May 23, 2018 10:49 am

Curry Rage wrote:I'm skeptical that it was.

Hunter reportedly argued for Marner over Hanafin (high-end skill) and was known to be scouting Dermott. Babcock said something like "get Hunts some picks" or whatever.


You may be right, but it did seem like the subsequent drafts were less focused on high end skill after the first pick than that particular draft.
User avatar
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Posts: 4426
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:08 pm
Location: Whore Island
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 434 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2136 by Thomas Malthus » Wed May 23, 2018 10:55 am

Curry Rage wrote:I'm skeptical that it was.

Hunter reportedly argued for Marner over Hanafin (high-end skill) and was known to be scouting Dermott. Babcock said something like "get Hunts some picks" or whatever.


For what it's worth, Bourne disputes that description of events. In a recent article he said something along the lines of that it didn't match up with what he was hearing at the time.
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
"[...]all models are wrong, some are useful." - George E. P. Box
User avatar
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Posts: 7722
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am
Has given rep: 511 times
Received rep: 522 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2137 by LeafOfBread » Wed May 23, 2018 1:39 pm

On the topic of draft power struggles and pick controversies, Keaton Middleton not given an ELC

User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 8356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 223 times
Received rep: 269 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2138 by AGENT ZERO » Wed May 23, 2018 2:04 pm

That is surprising as I was under the impression that he was developing nicely on the defensive end. Though admittedly I never watched him.
User avatar
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Posts: 4426
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:08 pm
Location: Whore Island
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 434 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2139 by Thomas Malthus » Wed May 23, 2018 2:26 pm

I'm unclear on the rules, if nobody takes him can we sign him to an AHL deal and play him on the ECHL team?
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
"[...]all models are wrong, some are useful." - George E. P. Box
User avatar
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad
Posts: 8447
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:34 pm
Has given rep: 220 times
Received rep: 239 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2140 by MonkeyWrench » Wed May 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:I'm unclear on the rules, if nobody takes him can we sign him to an AHL deal and play him on the ECHL team?



Speaking of which...



:nice:
User avatar
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Posts: 4426
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:08 pm
Location: Whore Island
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 434 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2141 by Thomas Malthus » Wed May 23, 2018 4:20 pm

Glorious.
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
"[...]all models are wrong, some are useful." - George E. P. Box
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4898
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 523 times
Received rep: 393 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2142 by Curry Rage » Wed May 23, 2018 5:06 pm

Heh...I knew some girls who used to call their naughty bits "growlers".
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad
Posts: 26968
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:05 pm
Location: KingsTown
Has given rep: 378 times
Received rep: 413 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2143 by Philthy Thrillz » Wed May 23, 2018 5:36 pm

:stare:
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4898
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 523 times
Received rep: 393 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2144 by Curry Rage » Wed May 23, 2018 5:46 pm

I've been around some interesting blocks.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
vf
Registered Broad
Posts: 16755
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 pm
Has given rep: 454 times
Received rep: 258 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2145 by vf » Wed May 23, 2018 6:23 pm

Looks like it should be the affiliate of Las Vegas.
User avatar
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Posts: 4426
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:08 pm
Location: Whore Island
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 434 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2146 by Thomas Malthus » Wed May 23, 2018 8:27 pm

vf wrote:Looks like it should be the affiliate of Las Vegas.


They don't own gold. :crossarms:
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
"[...]all models are wrong, some are useful." - George E. P. Box
User avatar
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Posts: 7722
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am
Has given rep: 511 times
Received rep: 522 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2147 by LeafOfBread » Tue May 29, 2018 9:29 am

cap going up to 80M apparently
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4898
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 523 times
Received rep: 393 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2148 by Curry Rage » Tue May 29, 2018 10:34 am

Fully into 2003/4 Leafs territory.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad
Posts: 8447
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:34 pm
Has given rep: 220 times
Received rep: 239 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2149 by MonkeyWrench » Thu May 31, 2018 12:09 pm

LeafOfBread wrote:cap going up to 80M apparently


Matthews rubbing his hands together.
Nylander bowing down and praising jebus.
User avatar
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Posts: 7722
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am
Has given rep: 511 times
Received rep: 522 times

Re: ongoing 2017-2018 season discussion

Post #2150 by LeafOfBread » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:59 am



john shannon stirring the pot

Return to “The Auston Matthews show”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests