Offseason Thrud

Post #1 by Whit Dickman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:49 pm

LeafErikson
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 81 times
Received rep: 137 times

Re: Offseason Thrud

Post #2 by LeafErikson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:50 pm

Draft D, trade for D. Don't trade Nylander. Successful summer.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 539 times
Received rep: 539 times

Post #3 by LeafOfBread » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Honus Joglund
Registered Broad
Received rep: 484 times

Post #4 by Honus Joglund » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:01 am

Yes: Ekholm, Manson, Hamonic, Tanev

No: Shattenkirk, Green, Vatanen
Transplanted Caper
Has given rep: 68 times
Received rep: 207 times

Post #5 by Transplanted Caper » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:05 pm

1. Very unlikely to get a true #1 defenseman in the offseason, but it's important to get someone who can play top-4 (ideally a #2 dman). Add that to Rielly, Gardiner, and Zaitsev and they'll be in a better position.
2. Get a dependable backup. Andersen was solid, but had his dips at times. Need to make sure you have faith in McElhinney or actively pursue one in the summer.Don't want to be having to go searching for one during the season. That goaltending was, over 82 games, solid, but not elite, making it even more imperative you strengthen the depth on D as well.
3. Make sure you get a 4th line centre, either by re-signing Boyle or getting someone else. Before Boyle got here, the 4th line was getting killed. Gauthier and/or Smith shouldn't be looked at as a feasible option.
4. Keep trying to make the team better, obviously, but there's a lot of fucking things to like. Lots of firepower up front, a dependable goalie, and some good pieces on D. I don't pursue actively shopping anyone, but if there's a non-core piece that can help solidify depth somewhere else, you definitely have to look into it.
Dynrehab
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 101 times
Received rep: 208 times

Post #6 by Dynrehab » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:02 pm

And stop adding overpaid contracts for 4th round picks. Clear the slate of the overpaid garbage (none of whom were actually playing.)

And no Polak. After that injury, he won't be serviceable.

And goodbye to Matt Hunwick.

I'm OK to keep JVR if they can find a fit for his contract in the future. His new contract will be 1 year of the young guys ELC's.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 546 times
Received rep: 402 times

Post #7 by Curry Rage » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:43 pm

My thoughts aren't much different than TC's.

Address the D. Top-4 Swiss Army Knife, please. If a suitable bottom-pairing PKer with some meanness doesn't present themselves, I might consider throwing another deal at Polak, depending on his prognosis for recovery. But, like Idiot, I'm not happy with that outcome. I love him, but with that knee injury I'm afraid he's going to lose mobility.

Shore up the backup spot.

Re-sign Boyle to anchor the 4th line. Then you can ease Gauthier in playing on the wing, taking some draws, learning the craft.

Find a spot in the lineup for Kapanen full time.

And start looking to clear some space/dollars out any way possible.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 50 times
Received rep: 155 times

Post #8 by Whit Dickman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:00 pm

I'm on the re-sign Boyle train. Assuming it's only 2 years. maybe 3 years if the $ is okay

If we can get a young top 4 D-man for JVR or Bozak, do that. Not sure what we can do to fill that gap, otherwise. I think Shattenkirk will be overpaid, although he would probably be the easiest short-term solution.

In terms of the 3rd pairing, I thought Hunwick was good and wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back. Kris Russell, at a reasonable price, would also be good. I would prefer a bigger and meaner LH d-man for the 3rd pairing with Carrick (who I still like), but there aren't any such options in the UFA market. Dermott/Neilsen should be saved for injury call-ups

Rielly - Shattenkirk
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Russell - Carrick

Pretty solid. Affordable in the short term.
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 389 times
Received rep: 423 times

Post #9 by Philthy Thrillz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:04 pm

With the expansion draft, we should be able to nab a very good D that usually isn't available. I expect a proven top 3 atleast. We have the secondary pieces to make it happen, imo.
Dynrehab
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 101 times
Received rep: 208 times

Post #10 by Dynrehab » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:41 pm

Philthy Thrillz wrote:With the expansion draft, we should be able to nab a very good D that usually isn't available. I expect a proven top 3 atleast. We have the secondary pieces to make it happen, imo.

I can't find a scenario where this is actually true. It's going to take a decent asset to get that guy, as teams are still going to have to lose someone decent anyway.
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #11 by Philthy Thrillz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:01 pm

Dynrehab wrote:
Philthy Thrillz wrote:With the expansion draft, we should be able to nab a very good D that usually isn't available. I expect a proven top 3 atleast. We have the secondary pieces to make it happen, imo.

I can't find a scenario where this is actually true. It's going to take a decent asset to get that guy, as teams are still going to have to lose someone decent anyway.

We have a bunch of secondary pieces that have value that would be exempt. It starts with our 1st most likely, couple other pieces, and ends with Kapannen. For a top pairing right hander, someone we could pair with Mo. I may do it, on the other hand staying the course is fine by me.

Mo did look good on the right side, so maybe Babs changes his philosophy. That would open the door to possibly going after a lefty.
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 480 times
Received rep: 273 times

Post #12 by vf » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:36 pm

Curry Rage wrote:Re-sign Boyle to anchor the 4th line. Then you can ease Gauthier in playing on the wing, taking some draws, learning the craft.

Martin-Boyle-Gauthier

The line needs some skill. Kappy really makes that line go by being able to fly around and take advantage of the two heavies doing heavy work.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 239 times
Received rep: 275 times

Post #13 by AGENT ZERO » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:40 pm

Aside from the obvious (top 4D), I would look to replace one of Bozak/JVR with a better two way forward. Preferably JVR because I don't see anyone on the UFA market that I think is a better C than Bozak other than maybe Shipachev. Someone like Williams on a 2 year deal adds experience and two way play, while replacing most of JVR's offense. I would also take a look at someone like Kulikov who the numbers suggest was underrated this past year. Perhaps he could be that dependable top 4 guy we need, but at a reasonable cost and term.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #14 by AGENT ZERO » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:43 pm

I think resigning Boyle is a no brainer, and unless I can get one of Johnson/Elliot I'm bringing back Curtis too.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 173 times
Received rep: 454 times

Post #15 by Thomas Malthus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:21 pm

I dunno, McBackup's career numbers aren't so great. His numbers this season were very good, but goalies are unpredictable and by default backup goaltenders drag us into the realm of small sample sizes. I'd look for an improvement, especially because I'm not comfortable with any of the other goalies in this organization taking over for Freddie in the event of an injury.

A guy like Mason could be a savvy pickup. He had a rough year but his save % this year was still better than the career average of McBackup and he has been a strong performer in recent seasons with Philly. Kinkiad, Nilsson, Darling are all options I'd support in addition to Johnson and Elliott.
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
"[...]all models are wrong, some are useful." - George E. P. Box
Zardoz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 30 times
Received rep: 217 times

Post #16 by Zardoz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:04 pm

Backup needs to be able to play in case Freddie's noggin goes foggy again. Which it will.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[SIZE="1"]Bring us your idiots, your hussies, your blue and your dreamy. Your steady, your huddled, your fisted and creamy. Your villains, your filthy, your cunts and your meese. Your carpenters and fishers and pastors and beasts. Your rednecks, your Safas, your trolls and your Brits. And like all good sailors, we like us some tits.[/size]
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #17 by Whit Dickman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:20 pm

I like Nilsson the most from that group. Could still put it together and had good numbers this year.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #18 by Whit Dickman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:54 pm

How do people feel about trading for Vatanen? Doubt the Ducks part with Manson.

Might cost Kapanen
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #19 by Curry Rage » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:13 am

I don't like the idea of moving Kapanen but needs must. My fear is that Vatanen gives us more of what we already have.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #20 by Whit Dickman » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:23 am

Curry Rage wrote:I don't like the idea of moving Kapanen but needs must. My fear is that Vatanen gives us more of what we already have.

Would make for a pretty small defensive core, but the mobility and puck control would be very good
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #21 by Curry Rage » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:46 am

Which is great if you can manage to get the puck out of dodge consistently but once a bigger team sets up in your zone... Mo has the size and strength to handle heavier forechecking teams, but I feel like we need another guy in the top-4 who can hang with that AND put a little bit of fear into a few guys. I don't mean a fighter, just someone willing to battle hard and with the size and strength to hurt you when he does. Like Polak, for instance. An open ice hit to stop a "zone entry" now and again wouldn't be such a bad thing, either. With the sort of back pressure Babs has our forwards applying we'd likely get the puck back a bit more often when guys bailed out from being steered straight into a mack truck.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #22 by Curry Rage » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:58 am

This is fun: https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017/04/ ... andidates/

The third goal is my favorite, not because of the play Matthew's makes but because of Leo congratulating Orpik after.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #23 by Thomas Malthus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:37 am

That's the kind of shit that makes me love Leo. I love Kadri's OT winner against McJesus, that was one hell of a game for Naz. Marner rustling Jimmy was great too. As were like all of Matthews' goals on there (especially the centennial classic OT winner and that second goal of the season where he strips Karlsson).
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 731 times
Received rep: 334 times

Post #24 by paulster » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:40 am

The Nylander dance around the blue line to Matthews in the slot hold a special place in my heart.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #25 by LeafOfBread » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:31 pm

https://theathletic.com/56148/2017/04/2 ... lle-rosen/

Paywalled article but apparently Leafs are front runners for this dude.
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #26 by Philthy Thrillz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:35 pm

Another small D :why:

Anyone now this guy?
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #27 by Thomas Malthus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:42 pm

From Babs on TSN yesterday: (transcript) https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017/04/ ... uick-fast/

On whether he’d like to win the Jack Adams this year for the first time:

Babcock: That’s not a question for me, really. This is what I like: People have enough respect for me to hire me and keep me on for long periods of time so my family got to live in one spot. Shanny gave me a good opportunity to come here and I love the opportunity here. The city is spectacular. The fans are great. The organization is great. This is what I’d tell you: The coach of the year carries that silver Cup around and he gets to take it back to share with his friends. I’ve only gotten to do that one time. I’d like to get my name on that Cup again. I really would. I’d like to share it with the city of Toronto. That is what our group is trying to do here. I think we’re going in the right direction.

:celtic2_1barca:
vf
Registered Broad

Post #28 by vf » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:35 pm

LeafOfBread wrote:https://theathletic.com/56148/2017/04/26/maple-leafs-eyeing-swedish-defenceman-calle-rosen/

Paywalled article but apparently Leafs are front runners for this dude.

Hawks blog with a blurb in the kid.
http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2017/4/ ... umors-2017

6 foot 180 lbs. Lefty. Great skater, needs to get stronger and improve his D purportedly.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #29 by Whit Dickman » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:38 pm

Curry Rage wrote:This is fun: https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017/04/ ... andidates/

The third goal is my favorite, not because of the play Matthew's makes but because of Leo congratulating Orpik after.

this bugs me.

the order of these videos/choices should be randomized every time the website is loaded.
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 731 times
Received rep: 334 times

Post #30 by paulster » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:26 pm

Whit Dickman wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:This is fun: https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017/04/ ... andidates/

this bugs me.

the order of these videos/choices should be randomized every time the website is loaded.

Also the Komarov goal after the crazy Matthews pass has Matthews' face as the thumbnail instead of Uncle Leo.

:paulrus:
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #31 by Whit Dickman » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:00 pm

My rank is

1) AM stealing puck from Karlsson in first ever NHL game
2) Kadri dancing McDavid
3) JVR smacking the puck out of the air when crossing the blueline
4) AM falling down goal
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #32 by Whit Dickman » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:10 pm

Regarding defensemen:

Question: If there was a reason they got it done, certainly they had a little more depth and maybe a little more strength and size that, when the call the game the way they do in the playoffs, gave them a bit of an edge. If you agree, do you think that is something your team has to add?

Babcock Answre: I think we’re going to add it just by guys weight training in the summer. We’ve got a whole bunch of kids and kids aren’t man strong. But I also thought losing Polak was a big blow to us on our penalty kill and the size of man he is. He’s 238, he can clear pucks, he’s a heavy guy, and we’re a little light on the backend. I thought that showed for sure. Our forwards alone – there is going to be a lot of growth just by going to the gym this summer just because they are that young.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017/04/ ... uick-fast/
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #33 by Whit Dickman » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:10 pm

Babcock: I think Gards is a real, real hockey player. He’s got high hockey IQ. He’s got ice in his veins. He does some things where you wonder what the heck he’s doing. But he always gets the puck out of his zone. When he arrived, we just talked to him. Talked to him every day and let him play and kept putting him back out there. I thought his game really came along last year but it’s coming like a landslide now. He can play against the best players.er.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #34 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:36 am

But but I thought Gardiner was stupid...
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 290 times
Received rep: 489 times

Post #35 by clawfirst » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:11 am

He meant functional retard. Pump and dump offseason.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #36 by vf » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:14 am

Two sentences after the bolded one. Even the great Babs wonders wtf he's doing.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #37 by Thomas Malthus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:31 am

So Marner's playing at the World Champtionship, Mo isn't. Babs is nominated for the Jack Adams.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #38 by Curry Rage » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:23 am

clawfirst wrote:He meant functional retard. Pump and dump offseason.

Still waiting on that big Knads trade.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #39 by LeafOfBread » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:39 am

Awesome, this kid is like Leo with better hands, though not as much of a pest. Maybe he can be a Hyman replacement in the future.
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 273 times
Received rep: 477 times

Post #40 by WTF » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:15 pm

LeafOfBread wrote:https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/857614213929422849

Awesome, this kid is like Leo with better hands, though not as much of a pest. Maybe he can be a Hyman replacement in the future.

I hear there are surgical procedures for that now.

:colbertsmile:
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #41 by Thomas Malthus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Miss Malthus' friend knew some girl who said she grew her's back after being born again and praying to the Lord.
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 238 times
Received rep: 240 times

Post #42 by MonkeyWrench » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:41 pm

Whit Dickman wrote:Babcock: I thought he came along last year but it’s coming like a landslide now.

MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 238 times
Received rep: 240 times

Post #43 by MonkeyWrench » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:45 pm

It's essentially countdown to draft for me at this point. I don't anticipate a move of any veteran players like Bozak/JVR at this point because they might feel as though they supply a decent enough buffer between a part-time and full-time workload. Both in terms of responsibility, and expectations. The particular strategy they take at this draft should be interesting considering what we saw the past 2 seasons.
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #44 by Philthy Thrillz » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:14 pm

I'd dangle Carrick to LV and hope they bite.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad

Post #45 by Whit Dickman » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:38 am

Philthy Thrillz wrote:I'd dangle Carrick to LV and hope they bite.

To protect who? Sparks?

Protected:
Kadri, JVR, Bozak, Brown, Komarov, Martin, Leipsic
Gardiner, Rielly, Carrick
Anderson

Exposed:
Smith, Fehr
Marincin or Marchenko
Sparks
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #46 by Philthy Thrillz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:52 am

I think Marincin has room to improve, is big, and can skate. It's really a toss up between him and Carrick. Carrick is a righty so he may be a priority.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #47 by LeafOfBread » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:57 am

Philthy Thrillz wrote:I think Marincin has room to improve, is big, and can skate. It's really a toss up between him and Carrick. Carrick is a righty so he may be a priority.

There are things that Marincin does do well, but unfortunately that is all overshadowed by his skills with the puck. I've defended him in the past but in the playoffs I absolutely cringed when the puck was on his stick, and it was really painful to watch when he was the one setting up for a breakout pass. With the puck, he is absolutely terrible. Without the puck, there are lots of things he does well, he has an effective stick, decent gap control, and holds the blue line well. Also a solid PKer, he was critical in killing that full 2 minute 5v3 against the Capitals in game 3. But even then, he is too soft despite being a big body. He is also garbage on the right side, he needs to be playing the left side with a very mobile D on the right side (Marincin-Zaitsev was actually a pretty good pairing for a little bit for example).

I had a higher opinion of him earlier in the year but I've kind of soured on him recently. I want every d-man on this team to be able to move the puck at least adequately.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 31 times
Received rep: 268 times

Post #48 by mooseOAK » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:08 am

You can feel the panic that Marincin had with the puck on his stick and the longer he held onto it the worse the play.

He is good at being tall.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #49 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:48 pm

LeafOfBread wrote:
Philthy Thrillz wrote:I think Marincin has room to improve, is big, and can skate. It's really a toss up between him and Carrick. Carrick is a righty so he may be a priority.

There are things that Marincin does do well, but unfortunately that is all overshadowed by his skills with the puck. I've defended him in the past but in the playoffs I absolutely cringed when the puck was on his stick, and it was really painful to watch when he was the one setting up for a breakout pass. With the puck, he is absolutely terrible. Without the puck, there are lots of things he does well, he has an effective stick, decent gap control, and holds the blue line well. Also a solid PKer, he was critical in killing that full 2 minute 5v3 against the Capitals in game 3. But even then, he is too soft despite being a big body. He is also garbage on the right side, he needs to be playing the left side with a very mobile D on the right side (Marincin-Zaitsev was actually a pretty good pairing for a little bit for example).

I had a higher opinion of him earlier in the year but I've kind of soured on him recently. I want every d-man on this team to be able to move the puck at least adequately.

He definitely panicked with the puck in the post-season, but are you really surprised? He barely played the second half of the season, and was then given heavy minutes against the best team in the playoffs, all things considered I think he acquitted himself very well.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #50 by LeafOfBread » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:21 pm

AGENT ZERO wrote:
LeafOfBread wrote:

He definitely panicked with the puck in the post-season, but are you really surprised? He barely played the second half of the season, and was then given heavy minutes against the best team in the playoffs, all things considered I think he acquitted himself very well.

I do give him some slack for that, but his skills with the puck have never been good. I recall as well that there were some stats on breakout passes and Marincin was one of the worst in the league at that, and that was including data from previous seasons.

It's also why I don't want Polak on this team even though he was awesome before his injury. All the D should be able to make a competent pass.

Return to “The Auston Matthews show”