A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

User avatar
stoney
Registered Broad
Posts: 5725
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:39 pm
Has given rep: 184 times
Received rep: 101 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #51 by stoney » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:20 am

Thomas Malthus wrote:
stoney wrote:Only Freddy gets a pass .


Story of the past few months. I love his comments after the game.


Give him the C
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4334
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 393 times
Received rep: 253 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #52 by Curry Rage » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:20 am

stoney wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:"There will be pain."


But there should also be effort.


Sure, and if Freddie's post-game vent is anything to go by shit is about to get real. If I'm Babs, I'm not changing a damn thing. I'm gonna let the boys start to sort it out among themselves.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Posts: 7094
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am
Has given rep: 326 times
Received rep: 385 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #53 by LeafOfBread » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:49 am

stoney wrote:To preface, the Dman needs to direct traffic.

Second. If Matthews doesn't whiff and Willy buries, no one says that was a bad play.

On that OT goal, a guy at the athletic seems to think it's all on Jake. I'm not buying that. Willy starts the back check beside Couturier. Why Willy decided Jake couldn't handle a 1 on 1 and stick with Cout, I'll never know.

Jake did no favours hanging in no man's land. But why skate across the width of the ice to cover someone that Jake was there for?

I'm sour at all of them. Each line and Dman spent time sucking. Only Freddy gets a pass .


The guy at the Athletic is Justin Bourne, former ECHLer and Marlies video coach. I dunno, I find it really hard to blame Willy there.
User avatar
stoney
Registered Broad
Posts: 5725
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:39 pm
Has given rep: 184 times
Received rep: 101 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #54 by stoney » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:01 pm

LeafOfBread wrote:
stoney wrote:To preface, the Dman needs to direct traffic.

Second. If Matthews doesn't whiff and Willy buries, no one says that was a bad play.

On that OT goal, a guy at the athletic seems to think it's all on Jake. I'm not buying that. Willy starts the back check beside Couturier. Why Willy decided Jake couldn't handle a 1 on 1 and stick with Cout, I'll never know.

Jake did no favours hanging in no man's land. But why skate across the width of the ice to cover someone that Jake was there for?

I'm sour at all of them. Each line and Dman spent time sucking. Only Freddy gets a pass .


The guy at the Athletic is Justin Bourne, former ECHLer and Marlies video coach. I dunno, I find it really hard to blame Willy there.


They're both to blame. Really, so is Matthews for a giveaway to start it off.

I just don't know why he didn't glue himself to the guy who was much closer to him and make sure he doesn't score ...which he eventually did.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4334
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 393 times
Received rep: 253 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #55 by Curry Rage » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:06 pm

Because it makes far more sense for him to put backpressure on the shooter and Gardiner to take the pass away. Make the guy try to beat Freddie who knows a shot is coming because Gardiner is doing his job. Gardiner panicked and overcommitted to the puck carrier. Blammo.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
stoney
Registered Broad
Posts: 5725
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:39 pm
Has given rep: 184 times
Received rep: 101 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #56 by stoney » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:08 pm

Curry Rage wrote:
stoney wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:"There will be pain."


But there should also be effort.


Sure, and if Freddie's post-game vent is anything to go by shit is about to get real. If I'm Babs, I'm not changing a damn thing. I'm gonna let the boys start to sort it out among themselves.


I just happened to watch a Gretz clip on YouTube with Peter Mansbridge again during the intermission last night. Stated that an underrated part of his own game was his battle to win any available loose puck. Which he did, as his numbers clearly show.

You see that dog-on-a-bone chase from Hyman and Brown consistently. You dont see it from many others, perhaps once or twice a game. You can't be hyped up to a Hyman level 100% of the time, he is a rare specimen. But if the plan is a chip and chase, you better go get the effing puck back, as hard and fast as you can. That compete level just isnt there from a good number of them and the results (individual and team) show accordingly.
User avatar
stoney
Registered Broad
Posts: 5725
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:39 pm
Has given rep: 184 times
Received rep: 101 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #57 by stoney » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:15 pm

Curry Rage wrote:Because it makes far more sense for him to put backpressure on the shooter and Gardiner to take the pass away. Make the guy try to beat Freddie who knows a shot is coming because Gardiner is doing his job. Gardiner panicked and overcommitted to the puck carrier. Blammo.


I disagree. Good on Philly , they played us like a fiddle there.

Jake slid over when Willy didn't have the puck carrier cut off from the net and he (Philly) was cutting over. Plan worked, made the pass, won the game. I don't see how that guy doesn't take it to the net alone if Jake plays the pass.

Would I prefer to see Freddy get his fair crack at a half-board breakaway over how it ended up, definitely. But I'm not sure how you play a 2 on 1 that should have been 2 on 2 and not give up a great chance?

Clearly I'm flying solo here, but that dude is walking in alone or getting hooked down if Jake covers the pass. Willy was skating like he just had a 4 minute shift as opposed to having the urgency that they might end the fucking game.
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 7530
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 147 times
Received rep: 188 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #58 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:20 pm

I don't know why we are playing chip and chase with this offense to begin with. It's a massive waste of the offensive skill that we have as demonstrated by the fact that we have gone from a top 5 offensive team to a bottom 5 one with no personnel changes.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4334
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 393 times
Received rep: 253 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #59 by Curry Rage » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:25 pm

How soon they forget the Hanta Yo Years.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4334
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 393 times
Received rep: 253 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #60 by Curry Rage » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:28 pm

stoney wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:Because it makes far more sense for him to put backpressure on the shooter and Gardiner to take the pass away. Make the guy try to beat Freddie who knows a shot is coming because Gardiner is doing his job. Gardiner panicked and overcommitted to the puck carrier. Blammo.


I disagree. Good on Philly , they played us like a fiddle there.

Jake slid over when Willy didn't have the puck carrier cut off from the net and he (Philly) was cutting over. Plan worked, made the pass, won the game. I don't see how that guy doesn't take it to the net alone if Jake plays the pass.

Would I prefer to see Freddy get his fair crack at a half-board breakaway over how it ended up, definitely. But I'm not sure how you play a 2 on 1 that should have been 2 on 2 and not give up a great chance?

Clearly I'm flying solo here, but that dude is walking in alone or getting hooked down if Jake covers the pass. Willy was skating like he just had a 4 minute shift as opposed to having the urgency that they might end the fucking game.


Fair enough. I see it differently. On a standard 2-on-1 the D's main concern is the pass. Why not play it the same way?

Anyway, we could argue about that one all day. I haven't watched the game yet but Freddie's bigger concern seemed to be the shorthanded 2-on-1 that tied the game and perhaps Marner being soft on the puck so close to the net on Patrick's goal. OT is always a crapshoot but to go into the 3rd up 2-0 and end up losing is a bigger deal to me.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
stoney
Registered Broad
Posts: 5725
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:39 pm
Has given rep: 184 times
Received rep: 101 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #61 by stoney » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:57 pm

^^ can't lose a game up 2 goals in the 3rd. Especially not when it's 100% on mistakes.
User avatar
mooseOAK
Registered Broad
Posts: 1874
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:58 am
Has given rep: 16 times
Received rep: 166 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #62 by mooseOAK » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:16 pm

The team has the talent to score goals and isn’t built to protect a two goal lead for half the game.
User avatar
paulster
Registered Broad
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:44 am
Has given rep: 460 times
Received rep: 191 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #63 by paulster » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:02 pm

They haven’t been getting any real bounces either. Things will turn back in our favour.
User avatar
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Posts: 7094
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am
Has given rep: 326 times
Received rep: 385 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #64 by LeafOfBread » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:13 pm

paulster wrote:They haven’t been getting any real bounces either. Things will turn back in our favour.

Hard to get bounces when you're not really in a position to get them. Hell, if anything I thought they were lucky to even be up 2-0 last night.
User avatar
Zardoz
Registered Broad
Posts: 12336
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:48 pm
Location: Toronto
Received rep: 170 times
Contact:

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #65 by Zardoz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:30 pm

What gets me fuming about that OT goal is that Gards has 150 feet to see the play and doesn't tale charge, no communication, no teamwork. Like, point for Willy, or nod your head or at least open your fucking mouth, he just stares it down like a deer in headlights.

Shouldn't have gone to OT in the first place, but whatever, they played like ass in the third and fucked themselves.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[SIZE="1"]Bring us your idiots, your hussies, your blue and your dreamy. Your steady, your huddled, your fisted and creamy. Your villains, your filthy, your cunts and your meese. Your carpenters and fishers and pastors and beasts. Your rednecks, your Safas, your trolls and your Brits. And like all good sailors, we like us some tits.[/size]
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4334
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 393 times
Received rep: 253 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #66 by Curry Rage » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:24 pm

Amidst all the doom and gloom I'll just mention that since I bought some underwear for Mrs. C for Xmas online, I now get lingerie ads while watching the game on Gamecentre. Could be worse.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 7530
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 147 times
Received rep: 188 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #67 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Yeah, the lack if communication is the most frustrating part. That should be a given at this level, really any competitive level.
User avatar
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Posts: 39489
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 1:45 pm
Has given rep: 191 times
Received rep: 343 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #68 by clawfirst » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Really any adult lvl..including bad beer league
User avatar
Honus Joglund
Registered Broad
Posts: 18209
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:33 pm
Location: Politzania
Received rep: 300 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #69 by Honus Joglund » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:45 pm

We need a slump buster. Somebody make the Ottawa GDT.
User avatar
vf
Registered Broad
Posts: 16464
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 pm
Has given rep: 302 times
Received rep: 179 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #70 by vf » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:44 pm

LeafOfBread wrote:
stoney wrote:To preface, the Dman needs to direct traffic.

Second. If Matthews doesn't whiff and Willy buries, no one says that was a bad play.

On that OT goal, a guy at the athletic seems to think it's all on Jake. I'm not buying that. Willy starts the back check beside Couturier. Why Willy decided Jake couldn't handle a 1 on 1 and stick with Cout, I'll never know.

Jake did no favours hanging in no man's land. But why skate across the width of the ice to cover someone that Jake was there for?

I'm sour at all of them. Each line and Dman spent time sucking. Only Freddy gets a pass .


The guy at the Athletic is Justin Bourne, former ECHLer and Marlies video coach. I dunno, I find it really hard to blame Willy there.


Former broad I do believe.
User avatar
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Posts: 7094
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am
Has given rep: 326 times
Received rep: 385 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #71 by LeafOfBread » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:30 pm

vf wrote:
LeafOfBread wrote:
stoney wrote:To preface, the Dman needs to direct traffic.

Second. If Matthews doesn't whiff and Willy buries, no one says that was a bad play.

On that OT goal, a guy at the athletic seems to think it's all on Jake. I'm not buying that. Willy starts the back check beside Couturier. Why Willy decided Jake couldn't handle a 1 on 1 and stick with Cout, I'll never know.

Jake did no favours hanging in no man's land. But why skate across the width of the ice to cover someone that Jake was there for?

I'm sour at all of them. Each line and Dman spent time sucking. Only Freddy gets a pass .


The guy at the Athletic is Justin Bourne, former ECHLer and Marlies video coach. I dunno, I find it really hard to blame Willy there.


Former broad I do believe.


Really? Interesting, what was his handle?
User avatar
vf
Registered Broad
Posts: 16464
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 pm
Has given rep: 302 times
Received rep: 179 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #72 by vf » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:06 pm

Oh fuck....I have no idea.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 4334
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 393 times
Received rep: 253 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #73 by Curry Rage » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:50 am

Wasn't it like "Justin Bourne"?
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad
Posts: 8074
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:34 pm
Has given rep: 131 times
Received rep: 172 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #74 by MonkeyWrench » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:39 pm

Did he used to co-run the Back Hand Shelf podcast? That was the first legit hockey podcast I was aware of. Not a bad one either.
User avatar
vf
Registered Broad
Posts: 16464
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 pm
Has given rep: 302 times
Received rep: 179 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #75 by vf » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:52 pm

He worked with Dangle back in the day.
User avatar
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Posts: 39489
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 1:45 pm
Has given rep: 191 times
Received rep: 343 times

Re: A good night of hockey: Leafs @ Flyers - 7:00 PM SNET

Post #76 by clawfirst » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Not fisher? But the other one?

Return to “The Auston Matthews show”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: stoney and 2 guests