Canada's Beloved Former St. Pats host Worst Team in the World Montreal Habs - 7:00 PM CBC

Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 495 times
Received rep: 370 times

Re: Canada's Beloved Former St. Pats host Worst Team in the World Montreal Habs - 7:00 PM CBC

Post #51 by Curry Rage » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:Dermott and Kapanen could end up being more than complementary pieces. I'm less sold on Brown and Johnsson being more than that but we'll see.

Agree on Dermott.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Re: Canada's Beloved Former St. Pats host Worst Team in the World Montreal Habs - 7:00 PM CBC

Post #52 by Curry Rage » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:26 pm

MonkeyWrench wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:The complimentary guys coming through the Marlies system like Brown, Kapanen, Dermott and now Johnsson all look very well-coached and seasoned. I could see them doing the thing where they put Grundstrom in the AHL for half the year and bring him up in early 2019 to bolster the club around the TDL.

I forget where I have heard this, maybe from the players themselves. Over the last 3-4 seasons Sheldon Keefe has started to use specific set-plays, and structure, that babcock uses in the NHL. It's still a developmental league, so the Marlies system being taught isn't a carbon copy, but it still explains why alot of the recent call ups look comfortable and don't stick out like a sore thumb.

Yeah, I seem to remember a lot of talk about that when Babcock arrived. It only makes sense.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #53 by Curry Rage » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:46 pm

I fell asleep half way through the 3rd last night and I'm just watching it now.

I think Simper hit a new low in hockey broadcasting by comparing Tommy Turtleneck's goatee to Lanny's 'tache. Gawd love him.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #54 by Curry Rage » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:12 pm

I mean, we like Polie just because he’s big and he’s hard...Sometimes it’s not pretty...and he whacks lots of people...having a man back there is important.

*Buy Oil Stocks!*
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 680 times
Received rep: 268 times

Post #55 by paulster » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:24 pm

Honus Joglund wrote:Here you go fellas, the Leafs' real win song:

Scrub that disco bullshit out of your ears.

It’s from Slap Shot which is as sacred as it gets.

Heaven away is so bordez ...
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 469 times
Received rep: 481 times

Post #56 by LeafOfBread » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:38 pm

It was pretty awesome seeing the boys get so amped up for AJ's goal
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 404 times
Received rep: 233 times

Post #57 by vf » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:44 pm

MonkeyWrench wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:The complimentary guys coming through the Marlies system like Brown, Kapanen, Dermott and now Johnsson all look very well-coached and seasoned. I could see them doing the thing where they put Grundstrom in the AHL for half the year and bring him up in early 2019 to bolster the club around the TDL.

I forget where I have heard this, maybe from the players themselves. Over the last 3-4 seasons Sheldon Keefe has started to use specific set-plays, and structure, that babcock uses in the NHL. It's still a developmental league, so the Marlies system being taught isn't a carbon copy, but it still explains why alot of the recent call ups look comfortable and don't stick out like a sore thumb.

Straight from the lips of Keefe himself:

"I had a chance to sit down spend some time with him as part of this process, and since this decision was made we've exchanged some phone calls, voicemails, tried to catch up," Keefe said of Babcock. "But he's made it clear he's going to be open to having me around and involved, and I recognize the importance of that. It's paramount for me to learn his systems, to learn his language, to learn what he values in his players, and to bring that information here.

"I really look at myself in a lot of ways as an extension of Mike Babcock's staff. I look forward to learning from him on a personal level as a coach, but also to be able to be a better asset for the Maple Leafs and the Marlies. I also look at myself as an extension of the player development department as well and plan on working extremely close with those guys as well."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/artic ... pment-dept
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #58 by Curry Rage » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:10 am

Anthony Petrelli quoting Colin Greening on the Marlies:

“Some guys call this the 32nd NHL team because of how much resources this team has. From what I’m told that all changed four years ago when the new management came in.”

None of those resources going on grammar lessons evidently, but what can you do?
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
mooseOAK
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 26 times
Received rep: 235 times

Post #59 by mooseOAK » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:04 am

When Torterella was coaching in Vancouver he reportedly never talked to the coach of his AHL team.
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 680 times
Received rep: 268 times

Post #60 by paulster » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:38 am

mooseOAK wrote:When Torterella was coaching in Vancouver he reportedly never talked to the coach of his AHL team.

That's why Babcock will never win the Jack Adams.
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 256 times
Received rep: 434 times

Post #61 by WTF » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:22 am

Curry Rage wrote:Anthony Petrelli quoting Colin Greening on the Marlies:

“Some guys call this the 32nd NHL team because of how much resources this team has. From what I’m told that all changed four years ago when the new management came in.”

None of those resources going on grammar lessons evidently, but what can you do?

The organizational focus is on producing real gud pros, not real gud prose.
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 193 times
Received rep: 215 times

Post #62 by MonkeyWrench » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:38 am

vf wrote:
MonkeyWrench wrote:

Straight from the lips of Keefe himself:

"I had a chance to sit down spend some time with him as part of this process, and since this decision was made we've exchanged some phone calls, voicemails, tried to catch up," Keefe said of Babcock. "But he's made it clear he's going to be open to having me around and involved, and I recognize the importance of that. It's paramount for me to learn his systems, to learn his language, to learn what he values in his players, and to bring that information here.

"I really look at myself in a lot of ways as an extension of Mike Babcock's staff. I look forward to learning from him on a personal level as a coach, but also to be able to be a better asset for the Maple Leafs and the Marlies. I also look at myself as an extension of the player development department as well and plan on working extremely close with those guys as well."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/artic ... pment-dept

Funny enough Keefe was on radio this morning commenting on the recent marlies call ups.
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/k ... -1.1031091
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #63 by Curry Rage » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:48 pm

MonkeyWrench wrote:Funny enough Keefe was on radio this morning commenting on the recent marlies call ups.
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/k ... -1.1031091

Must just be floating around the zeitgeist.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*

Return to “The Auston Matthews show”