Game 1: Canada's Team Maple Leafs visit Boston Dick Lickers - Thursday 7:00 PM CBC

AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 247 times
Received rep: 288 times

Re: Game 1: Canada's Team Maple Leafs visit Boston Dick Lickers - Thursday 7:00 PM CBC

Post #201 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:33 pm

Philthy Thrillz wrote:This has been one of the more invisible games for Matthews.

He looked like this the last time he was matched up against Bergeron. That line is too good.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 179 times
Received rep: 456 times

Re: Game 1: Canada's Team Maple Leafs visit Boston Dick Lickers - Thursday 7:00 PM CBC

Post #202 by Thomas Malthus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Love seeing Bruins fans and media act as if their team is the paragon of clean play while they eviscerate Kadri for the hit on Wingels.
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
"[...]all models are wrong, some are useful." - George E. P. Box
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 569 times
Received rep: 562 times

Post #203 by LeafOfBread » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:04 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:Love seeing Bruins fans and media act as if their team is the paragon of clean play while they eviscerate Kadri for the hit on Wingels.

Boston fans are the biggest spoiled babies in all of sports
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 293 times
Received rep: 498 times

Post #204 by clawfirst » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:05 pm

Get it all out now ladies. Pain
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 408 times
Received rep: 445 times

Post #205 by Philthy Thrillz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:09 pm

AGENT ZERO wrote:
Philthy Thrillz wrote:This has been one of the more invisible games for Matthews.

He looked like this the last time he was matched up against Bergeron. That line is too good.

He'll adjust.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #206 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Philthy Thrillz wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:

He'll adjust.

I think he is still a year or two away from being able to match those guys. They are the best line in hockey for a reason. Good news is we can dictate matchups on the road.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #207 by Thomas Malthus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:28 pm

If Kadri gets more than a game for that given what the bar has been set at I’m gonna be pissed.

That was an awful game, we only looked dangerous on the PP. Our offensive depth was nowhere to be found. That’s gotta change.
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
clawfirst
Registered Broad

Post #208 by clawfirst » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:31 pm

They looked nervous. Lets watch it play out. Zero stress
clawfirst
Registered Broad

Post #209 by clawfirst » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:33 pm

And i kinda want to see a goon on mitches line
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #210 by Philthy Thrillz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:51 pm

Mitch could use a Hyman on his line.

Hyman Kadri Mitch
Zardoz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 224 times

Post #211 by Zardoz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:42 pm

clawfirst wrote:And i kinda want to see a goon on mitches line

Yeah, he needed protection tonight. This isn't the regular season, guys go after stars with relative immunity unless there's some muscle around. Only downside is Martin is slow as hell.

That said, for a slow goon, Martin gets a ton of breakaways.
Zardoz
Registered Broad

Post #212 by Zardoz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:45 pm

Shitty thing about the Kadri hit, if Wingles is out, Donato might come in. Ferraro and Hughson will perpetually jizz all over themselves for 60 minutes.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #213 by LeafOfBread » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:20 am

Zardoz wrote:Shitty thing about the Kadri hit, if Wingles is out, Donato might come in. Ferraro and Hughson will perpetually jizz all over themselves for 60 minutes.

Ferraro? You mean that queer Simpson. Don't disgrace Ferraro like this :colbert:
Zardoz
Registered Broad

Post #214 by Zardoz » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:30 am

Haha, yeah. I meant simmer. But ferraro is such a Bruins booster anyway. I stand by my jizz assesment.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 564 times
Received rep: 419 times

Post #215 by Curry Rage » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:45 am

I haven't watched all of the 3rd yet. I went to bed and listened on the radio after the 2nd. Figured it was done. Looks like the boys thought so too.

Special teams. The B's came out strong but we settled things down and were the better team for parts of the 1st and half of the 2nd. The PK was a shit show. There was a real breakdown in reading the play when Marchand can get that much space unfettered, even on the PK. Both Polak and Hainsey played the puck carrier. The pick play probably prevented Hyman from harassing the puck carrier but Marchand can't get that much space there. They have to read that and switch off. That said, if the refs are going to allow that kind of interference, perhaps we can see a little Trapcock hockey.

Our PP looked nice moving it around and had a few good chances but we're going to have to dig deeper in those net front battles. They're really collapsing to the net so we may have to figure out a different wrinkle where we draw them into that position and kick the puck out to the weak side or alternately find a way to get them more spread out. We'll see what they come up with.

Matthews was quiet. Too fucking quiet. Sure, the Bergeron line are good, but they aren't so good that a player like Matthews shouldn't be able to at least threaten a bit now and again. And while he wasn't the only guy on our team guilty of being a little soft last night I think that for his own sake he's going to have to do what Mats did and reluctantly develop at least a little bit of a reputation for being mean now and again. He's big enough. He's strong enough. He needs to develop the mentality. It didn't come naturally to Mats either but despite his size and ability to protect the puck he became a much more dominant player when he started to let the odd guy know that taking little runs at him was going to result in an elbow here, a push back there, and the patented face wash. Papi is a real gud boy whose mama raised him right and the puck moves faster than you can skate blah-blah-blah. That's all well and good, but he's got to make space for himself and put a thought into people's heads. That said, sometimes he looks like that injury is still bothering him physically or mentally. Throughout his young career I've noticed that he rarely has two games in a row when he looks defeated. I'll expect him to come out at full throttle on Saturday.

I think the call on Kadri is nuts. You might penalise him but 5/Game/likely suspension is over the top for that play, IMO. I'm not sure how they run the hearings on that stuff but while the league can't be condoning revenge plays, the fact that Wingels had just finished taking a shitty run at a defenseless player should at least factor into their decision making. The refs blew that by not dealing with the initial play. They've sucked Marchand off more times than we can count. Kadri deserves some fucking leeway there.

Overall, save for Hyman and Kadri, very few of our forwards showed up with their lunch pails in tow. If there's one place the B's beat us in the first two periods it was on the wall. A stick lift is nice, but a shoulder in front of a shoulder and a stick lift is better. A hip in front of a guy is even better. They're going to have to work harder to get into good body positions on guys without the puck and do a better job shielding it in possession. I said that I thought Hyman would be a good match-up against Chara and he made him look bad a couple of times, including drawing a penalty in front by working his ass off. Hey, Papi, pay attention.

I went back and forth about the Plekanec deal and eventually accepted it. I'm not going to moan about the pick (many already are) but he left his heart in Montreal. Execution is one thing. Looking like it bothers you when you don't is another and I've yet to see the little prick we all hated for so many years since he came over. Not even once. He's moaning at refs and looking frustrated but he doesn't seem to be taking it out on the right people and outworking them or just being a little cunt as he can. Babs has given him more opportunity and ice than he should've given his play, so he can't complain that he's just not used to being a 4th line guy or that he's underappreciated. I don't think I'd sub in Moore yet - you have to give your guys a chance to clean up their own mess, and you don't want to look like you're panicking - but I might take a minute to sit down with him and remind him how much I respect him for the force he can be and see if I could play to his pride a little bit. There's got to be a way to coax another few games of the old Turtleneck out of him. If Knads is going to be out, we need him that much more.

This series is another learning experience for Marner. Last year he learned how to avoid contact and make a bit of space for himself. But, having had such a good second half he's now going to have to learn how to do that when he's got a target on him. I do miss the old days a little when the refs would let smaller guys (Killer, for example) get away with a bit of stick work to defend themselves. It came with allowing the behemoths to waterski on guys but at least small skilled guys could take a hunk out of a guy who took liberties without it turning into a big fucking deal. You wanna put your elbow up? Enjoy playing the rest of the series with a busted finger or a welt on your calf. Without that luxury, he's going to have to find another gear and/or figure out how to use it to draw penalties.

Babs is going to have to make some adjustments to let our D do what they do best. Rielly, Gards and Dermott were non-factors on the breakout and bringing the puck up ice. In general, I think the whole thing will come down to whether or not we can make the adjustments necessary to release our speed. There were moments of it last night.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #216 by Philthy Thrillz » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:23 am

Good assessment, rage.

I don't understand why Babs doesn't use his challenge as much as he should. That first goal would have been called back. Marchand was 100% offside.

PP was moving the puck real well, they missed a couple great opportunities to add to the goal total. I wouldn't change anything except Matthews has to find a way to get his shot through or draw that player close and open up space for the point man to get a clean shot through. Boston did a great job blocking his shots. They've been studying that to be sure.

Fucking Hainsey throwing it up the middle then puck watching in front of the net. Fuck. Bad play altogether by him.

Andy could have been better. We need him to make the big saves. He usually bounces back with a solid game. I'm not worried about him.

Both Willy and Marner were non factors 5v5. Maybe nerves with a touch of pussy. They need to man up and play through it. That might come in a couple years when they are more mens. Marner can make up for it by driving a great PP unit. Not sure about Bill.

Id sit Pleky for Moore. If he doesnt want to give some fucks he might as well pack his bags now and fuck off. Atleast you know with Moore he'll keep the Bruins Honest.

Too bad Komarov is back. Id put AJ in over him easily. Young, fiesty, and can chip in some O game.

Babs, fuck right off with Leo on the PP, pathetic.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #217 by LeafOfBread » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:51 am

Enjoyed the write up, 'Rage. Also you'll be happy to know that near the end of the game Matthews did seem pissed/frustrated and actually threw a pretty big hit on Chara in the Boston zone on the boards.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #218 by LeafOfBread » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:28 am

Side angle. A bit reckless but not as bad looking as it was in real time IMO. You can see Wingels falls less than a second before Kadri hits him, and this is in slow mo too.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #219 by LeafOfBread » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:29 pm

Tom Wilson getting nothing despite leaving his feet. If he gets nothing then Kadri should definitely get nothing.

also,

AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #220 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:50 pm

Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #221 by Thomas Malthus » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:17 pm

I know that was pretty much one of the worst games this season, especially on the special teams side of things, and that pretty much everyone played poorly but when Matthews' line is up against Bergeron that much our depth HAS to dominate other teams' depth.
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad

Post #222 by Philthy Thrillz » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:58 pm

I thought the PP was good. A little unlucky.
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 750 times
Received rep: 349 times

Post #223 by paulster » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:13 pm

Honestly if the PP converts once in the 2nd period it’s a totally different game. Last night was just weird.

Look at philly tonight. It’s pro sports - every game is winnable.

Return to “The Auston Matthews show”