Food: a topic for discerning broads

At least it worked out for the Oilers.
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 901 times
Received rep: 461 times

Re: Food: a topic for discerning broads

Post #51 by vonbonds » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Wavering Transient wrote:Apprentice chef who works in fine-ish dining here.

I take photos of most of what I cook at home, but I stopped posting them here because the Habs broads are more interested in talking about their kids and their various neuroses.

Here are some canapés that I made for a church service a couple of months ago. Herb flatbread rounds, roasted red pepper/roasted eggplant cream cheese, pulled pork.

You and Selyar are a cut above the rest of us. Take pics of the process and techniques you use next time.
Walter White
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 302 times
Received rep: 134 times

Post #52 by Walter White » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:41 pm

unfortunately didnt take any pics

I'm sure I will be making them again soon, especially once I get my grill set up
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #53 by vonbonds » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:47 pm

Almost there, one hour to go..

vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #54 by vonbonds » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:34 pm

Done

Marcus Mareo Hotah
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 409 times
Received rep: 418 times

Post #55 by Marcus Mareo Hotah » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:35 pm

:why:
Dr. Doom
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 62 times
Received rep: 120 times

Post #56 by Dr. Doom » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:41 pm

damn send some here
Scott04
Has given rep: 57 times
Received rep: 12 times

Post #57 by Scott04 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:02 pm

Love me some texas BBQ. Brisket tends to be my favorite bbq when done well, so it's just natural to lean that way.

Smoked a brisket with my dad a couple weeks ago with minimal prep other than a little online research that came out pretty well. Only needs a few small tweaks. Really need to get around to trying it again. He bought two smaller briskets but unfortunately they were trimmed and not too fatty. After we use the second one, we need to fix that for the next time.

Gay4Clemmer wrote:Everything in Kentucky is either bland as all hell. I love Indian food but nowhere down here makes it with any flavour because they know if they did no one would eat it. The boyfriend and I have taken to just making our own Indian and other Asian style foods which I must say have turned out really well.

Is this in the middle of nowhere? Not too familiar with almost the entirety of the state, but I know there's a lot of good food in Louisville from the few times I've visited... I wouldn't have much faith elsewhere though.
Gay4Clemmer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 93 times
Received rep: 65 times

Post #58 by Gay4Clemmer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:36 pm

Louisville is about 2 hours away from me but yeah you can find good food in most larger cities. Lexington also has a few good places but it's mostly chains and super hipster places downtown. We go there sometimes since it's only a half hour away but typically if we want good food we take a drive up to Cincy.
Dr. Doom
Registered Broad

Post #59 by Dr. Doom » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:50 pm

Scott04 wrote:Love me some texas BBQ. Brisket tends to be my favorite bbq when done well, so it's just natural to lean that way.

Smoked a brisket with my dad a couple weeks ago with minimal prep other than a little online research that came out pretty well. Only needs a few small tweaks. Really need to get around to trying it again. He bought two smaller briskets but unfortunately they were trimmed and not too fatty. After we use the second one, we need to fix that for the next time.

Gay4Clemmer wrote:Everything in Kentucky is either bland as all hell. I love Indian food but nowhere down here makes it with any flavour because they know if they did no one would eat it. The boyfriend and I have taken to just making our own Indian and other Asian style foods which I must say have turned out really well.

Is this in the middle of nowhere? Not too familiar with almost the entirety of the state, but I know there's a lot of good food in Louisville from the few times I've visited... I wouldn't have much faith elsewhere though.

like a proper jew
Scott04

Post #60 by Scott04 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:00 pm

jewy bettman was removed from here when the boards died, or i'd use it now.

i love pulled pork and ribs too (like a less proper jew). just always preferred brisket. i'll go for that at BBQ places just about anywhere I go in the country unless I'm in a place where something else is clearly the specialty. I went for ribs in St. Louis and pulled pork in North or South Carolina for the most part.
Dr. Doom
Registered Broad

Post #61 by Dr. Doom » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:08 pm

Everywhere has their thing. Texas is definitely brisket. I like it all. Ribs, pulled pork, and brisket, just depends where i am.
Krinkle
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 3 times
Received rep: 7 times

Post #62 by Krinkle » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:29 pm

This thread is releveant to my interests.....for those not in the know, I'm a sous chef at a small beach club here in Jersey, recent culinary school grad so anything you need to know, feel free to hit me up.

I've not fired up my smoker in two years, probably about time to throw it to the curb anyways, it's old and neglected. I'm a terrible person. That said, I'm to the point where I hate to cook when I get home from work, today was an exception because it was rainy and slow and I sent everyone home half hour before typical service ends. I had pork shoulders cooking so instead of sitting around doing nothing I ran down to Local 130 in Asbury, excellent sustainable seafood market, a bit pricey, but their product is top top top notch and fresh as can be. I got some dayboat black bass and PEI mussels today. I broke my beurre-blanc for the black bass but it was still salvageable and still tasty, just did the mussels fra-diablo, the sauce needed to go longer but it was fine on short fire time as i had some tasty cherry peppers from my neighbor's garden in there.

Five more days left in my season and I'm back to stay at home dad, though I'm probably taking an advanced baking course just for the hell of it the first three weeks of the semester. I'd love to offer some advice to some of you guys, particularly the healthy option folks, you'd be amazed at how much better you feel when you cut out processed shit and just do basic starch and veg prep to go with your proteins. Look into ancient grains as well, freekah, quinoa, amaranth, all have huge versatility.

Here's a special I ran last weekend literally with shit in my freezer, we got black bass in so we just found some par cooked green beans and sofrito on our racks and called it a day, I 86'd this halfway through service on Sunday, we never sell out a special:

And lastly, speaking of our freezer, we had a shit ton of ground beef left from cancelled theme dinners so the staff ate great last weekend, made the kiddos bacon wrapped meatloaf on the family meal buffet:

Wavering Transient
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 25 times

Post #63 by Wavering Transient » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:22 pm

Krinkle wrote:This thread is releveant to my interests.....for those not in the know, I'm a sous chef at a small beach club here in Jersey, recent culinary school grad so anything you need to know, feel free to hit me up.

Immediate rep for the fresh seafood. I live in meat-and-potatoes country, so beef, pork, and chicken rule the day. My last experience with fresh seafood was fishing up in Yellowknife last month. I made some caviar from a large trout, but it burst into mush on the flight down.

Anyway, my question is, what sorts of cuisines dominate in your part of New Jersey? Italian, of course, but what else? Up here it is a hodgepodge of cuisines with no true identity. Eastern European (think Ukrainian) and British/Scottish cuisines would be more popular if people passed down recipes, but that was not the case. I have made borscht and cabbage rolls in the past couple of weeks and plan to make perogies soon. Sauerkraut is in the plans this winter.
Dr. Doom
Registered Broad

Post #64 by Dr. Doom » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:08 am

Krinkle is all about the polish food if i remember correctly
Wavering Transient
Registered Broad

Post #65 by Wavering Transient » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:11 am

Vonbonds, I know you wanted more of my stuff.

Sausage and potato hash with carrot.

1. Dice waxy (white, red, etc.) potatoes, start in cold water, bring to boil (blanch) until cooked. Strain in a colander, rinse under cold water. Freeze on sheets of parchment paper (separated) until needed (see: IQF). Bag/store once frozen.

2. Place potatoes in roasting pan with parchment paper, drizzle oil of choice. Roast at 400°F until golden brown (about 90 minutes for me), tossing every fifteen minutes or so, set aside to cool.

3. Squeeze raw, uncured sausage out of casing, work in a bowl until mixed. Sauté in medium-heat pan (use some oil), breaking the meat up.

4. Remove sausage once medium-well (some pink remaining), set aside.

5. Sauté (with a bit of oil) diced onion and minced/crushed garlic until soft.

6. Add peeled, grated/shredded carrot, sauté until soft.

7. Mix in sausage.

8. Deglaze (add to pan) red wine until wine forms small layer on bottom of pan. Cook until the alcohol evaporates (no more alcohol smell).

9. Add sweet Hungarian paprika (a couple of tablespoons for me), salt, and sugar to taste.

10. Garnish with chopped sage.

Note: if sausage is bland/not spicy, add some cayenne pepper to taste.

Note #2: step #1 can be done days/weeks in advance and takes some of the work out of roasting hash-style potatoes.
Dr. Doom
Registered Broad

Post #66 by Dr. Doom » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:17 am

Krinkle wrote:That said, I'm to the point where I hate to cook when I get home from work, today was an exception because it was rainy and slow and I sent everyone home half hour before typical service ends.

This is my biggest fear. I'm currently trying to figure out what to do with with my life but i don't want to turn something i enjoy into something i don't like.
Krinkle
Registered Broad

Post #67 by Krinkle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:40 pm

Wavering Transient wrote:
Krinkle wrote:This thread is releveant to my interests.....for those not in the know, I'm a sous chef at a small beach club here in Jersey, recent culinary school grad so anything you need to know, feel free to hit me up.

Immediate rep for the fresh seafood. I live in meat-and-potatoes country, so beef, pork, and chicken rule the day. My last experience with fresh seafood was fishing up in Yellowknife last month. I made some caviar from a large trout, but it burst into mush on the flight down.

Anyway, my question is, what sorts of cuisines dominate in your part of New Jersey? Italian, of course, but what else? Up here it is a hodgepodge of cuisines with no true identity. Eastern European (think Ukrainian) and British/Scottish cuisines would be more popular if people passed down recipes, but that was not the case. I have made borscht and cabbage rolls in the past couple of weeks and plan to make perogies soon. Sauerkraut is in the plans this winter.

Jersey is pretty eclectic when it comes to cuisine, you can find everything here. The staple is of course Italian, but there are a lot of "New American" restaurants popping up, which basically is just fusion - influences from all cultures go into the menu, some pretty good stuff out there. I'm seeing a lot more Asian influence as well in recent years, on my menu at work we actually do an asian spin on our fish tacos, I make a slaw dressing with rice wine vinegar, oil, honey and a splash of sesame oil, yet we still put a roast garlic aioli and pico de gallo on it, then garnish with pickled red onions - it's one of my most popular dishes.

And Doom is correct, I'm half polish so a lot of my home cuisine draws from that - pierogi and kielbasa are a staple, at least once a week. In the summer I lay off it as it's just too heavy but in the coming months I'll start up the stews and braised dishes like bigos, especially once I start doing whole pork loin roasts. Italian is big for me too, I grew up with my dad's side of the family close by so that's where I'm personally influenced as well - this time of year I love because of all the beautiful Jersey tomatoes, I can't wait to get to the farmer's market and buy 50 lbs of them bad boys for like 20 bucks in a week or two and just fill my freezers with marinara for the winter.

And thanks for the props on the seafood, living a stones throw from the ocean is just a beautiful thing, it's definitely my favorite thing to cook as you really don't mess with it, can't perfect what nature gave us right? That black bass was just dusted in a seasoned rice flour and pan seared, comes out beautifully and it's such a delicate and sweet fish you really don't want to do much to it.
Krinkle
Registered Broad

Post #68 by Krinkle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:41 pm

Dr. Doom wrote:
Krinkle wrote:That said, I'm to the point where I hate to cook when I get home from work, today was an exception because it was rainy and slow and I sent everyone home half hour before typical service ends.

This is my biggest fear. I'm currently trying to figure out what to do with with my life but i don't want to turn something i enjoy into something i don't like.

Don't get me wrong I still love what I do and love cooking at home, like right now I have a flank steak marinating and am about to throw on the grill, but there are days when I get home and I just don't want to look at food. Doesn't help that I'm just covered head to toe in that "restaurant smell"
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #69 by vonbonds » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:43 pm

Outstanding stuff Krinkle. You prove that you were good as a network admin/security engineer and you're good as a chef. If someone is smart and motivated they can accomplish quite a lot.
Wavering Transient
Registered Broad

Post #70 by Wavering Transient » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:43 am

Krinkle wrote:And Doom is correct, I'm half polish so a lot of my home cuisine draws from that - pierogi and kielbasa are a staple, at least once a week. In the summer I lay off it as it's just too heavy but in the coming months I'll start up the stews and braised dishes like bigos, especially once I start doing whole pork loin roasts. Italian is big for me too, I grew up with my dad's side of the family close by so that's where I'm personally influenced as well - this time of year I love because of all the beautiful Jersey tomatoes, I can't wait to get to the farmer's market and buy 50 lbs of them bad boys for like 20 bucks in a week or two and just fill my freezers with marinara for the winter.

I am half Polish/Russian as well and am trying to re-discover that part of my heritage because it was not passed down at all. Last month I made bigos for the first time, which might have been my best-ever dish.

Krinkle wrote:And thanks for the props on the seafood, living a stones throw from the ocean is just a beautiful thing, it's definitely my favorite thing to cook as you really don't mess with it, can't perfect what nature gave us right? That black bass was just dusted in a seasoned rice flour and pan seared, comes out beautifully and it's such a delicate and sweet fish you really don't want to do much to it.

The signature dish of my previous boss was a porcini-crusted sea bass with lobster-truffle crepes and prawns. He has been open for twenty years, and this dish must have been there for at least ten.

vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #71 by vonbonds » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:57 pm

Played 9 holes with my boy today and whipped up some marinated chopped chicken breast and shrimp on the BGE when we got home. The shrimp came out perfectly..about 4 - 4.5 minutes with a quick flip around 3 minutes in.

selyar
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 13 times

Post #72 by selyar » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Omg I'm so happy ya'll are using this thread.

Did you guys see the Return of the Eats announcement?

Hello to our new Canadian friend.

I'm not a professional like Krinkle, but I'd consider myself an avid home cook and baker. I didn't really take any pictures of anything we did for the bbq we just had for labor day, but most of that was just the pork OFS posted before in the poop thread. (We're married, for the record).
Wavering Transient
Registered Broad

Post #73 by Wavering Transient » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:06 am

This is the first Italian dish I have ever been proud of making.

Penne all’arrabbiata, sausage, olives, parsley, pecorino.

Krinkle
Registered Broad

Post #74 by Krinkle » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:46 pm

Looks good, I'd go much finer on the parsley though but thank you for not having stems on those, drives me up a wall! Shaved pecorino right on top would take that over the top, get a few nice geometric shapes for some volume propped against one another would look and taste awesome.

I just started my last class, "Advanced Baking" which so far hasn't been too advanced but I'm enjoying making varying types of breads, I am bummed we are not doing a sourdough so I may have to contrive a way to get a starter going on my own and keep it stable long enough to get some use out of it and then be able to throw it in the fridge long term. Any of you guys have any luck with wild starters on your own?

Did my mussels again this weekend for some family, and some simple garlic/wine/butter clams, I made 50 of each for 8 adults, there were none left. It always amazes me how much better dishes are when they are kept simple, all i did was soften shallots and garlic, reduce some white wine in it then clam juice and then steam the clams and mount butter at the end and hit it with fresh parsley while the butter worked. Stupid good.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #75 by vonbonds » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:42 pm

Krinkle wrote:Looks good, I'd go much finer on the parsley though but thank you for not having stems on those, drives me up a wall! Shaved pecorino right on top would take that over the top, get a few nice geometric shapes for some volume propped against one another would look and taste awesome.

I just started my last class, "Advanced Baking" which so far hasn't been too advanced but I'm enjoying making varying types of breads, I am bummed we are not doing a sourdough so I may have to contrive a way to get a starter going on my own and keep it stable long enough to get some use out of it and then be able to throw it in the fridge long term. Any of you guys have any luck with wild starters on your own?

Did my mussels again this weekend for some family, and some simple garlic/wine/butter clams, I made 50 of each for 8 adults, there were none left. It always amazes me how much better dishes are when they are kept simple, all i did was soften shallots and garlic, reduce some white wine in it then clam juice and then steam the clams and mount butter at the end and hit it with fresh parsley while the butter worked. Stupid good.

Amen!!
Krinkle
Registered Broad

Post #76 by Krinkle » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:42 pm

Got a great new naan recipe today, calls for cooking it in cast iron which we didn't have at school but a regular saute pan did fine, I'm gonna try it this weekend on my cast iron. I usually do it on the grill so I'll probably make two batches, it's so loaded with fat though the dough is insanely hard to work with. I also have to do a "bread art" project, most of the students in the past have done "dead" dough, bascailly play dough, and they color it and mold it, I'm so anti that concept, maybe 5 percent have used live bread and I intent to do so, I'm going to be practicing with braids this weekend, and varying proofing time/temps and cooking time/temps to make sure it shapes the way I want. Going to be interesting.
Dr. Doom
Registered Broad

Post #77 by Dr. Doom » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:02 pm

I think i may try to make bagels this weekend if i have time. I have this dream of opening a bagel place down here since there's no good bagels.
Krinkle
Registered Broad

Post #78 by Krinkle » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:21 pm

Bagels are a fucking bitch, you better have a diesel ass stand mixer because the dough is really really really hard to work with, it'll burn out most consumer grade mixers.
Dr. Doom
Registered Broad

Post #79 by Dr. Doom » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:28 pm

ah fuck. that i don't have.
Scott04

Post #80 by Scott04 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:07 am

Make challah
:bettlisa:
Wavering Transient
Registered Broad

Post #81 by Wavering Transient » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:15 am

Krinkle wrote:Looks good, I'd go much finer on the parsley though but thank you for not having stems on those, drives me up a wall! Shaved pecorino right on top would take that over the top, get a few nice geometric shapes for some volume propped against one another would look and taste awesome.

Thanks for the tips. My sous chef told me to make a puttanesca dish next, so I did on my only day off this week.

I found that crumbling the shavings gave a better presentation, but it is something that I need to play around with more. The fruitiness of the green olives and capers complemented the anchovies so well. I can see why this sauce is so popular.

Culinary school is coming up in January, so expect either a complete drop-off or flurry of posting in the coming months.
selyar
Registered Broad

Post #82 by selyar » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:17 am

Krinkle, I have a starter in my fridge that I could get going again and get you some of it. Let me know. Share that naan recipe please! I have been looking for a good one

Doom, I've made bagels with my food processor. Do you have one of those? I used Stella Parks's recipe on serious eats, and they were a big hit.
Walter White
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 302 times
Received rep: 134 times

Post #83 by Walter White » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:28 pm

going to Del Frisco's tonight in Philly for Restaurant Week

gonna eat myself into a meat coma
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #84 by vonbonds » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Walter White wrote:going to Del Frisco's tonight in Philly for Restaurant Week

That bar is the coolest. Bring some dollars to tip the old man in the bathroom too
Mike.
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 138 times
Received rep: 71 times

Post #85 by Mike. » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:00 pm

Walter White wrote:going to Del Frisco's tonight in Philly for Restaurant Week

Don't forget to pay tribute

Dr. Doom
Registered Broad

Post #86 by Dr. Doom » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Krinkle
Registered Broad

Post #87 by Krinkle » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:39 pm

selyar wrote:Krinkle, I have a starter in my fridge that I could get going again and get you some of it. Let me know. Share that naan recipe please! I have been looking for a good one

Doom, I've made bagels with my food processor. Do you have one of those? I used Stella Parks's recipe on serious eats, and they were a big hit.

That'd be awesome, and yes I'll post it tomorrow.
selyar
Registered Broad

Post #88 by selyar » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:54 pm

Krinkle wrote:
selyar wrote:Krinkle, I have a starter in my fridge that I could get going again and get you some of it. Let me know. Share that naan recipe please! I have been looking for a good one

i pulled the starter out this morning and fed it once. it will probably need several days to get nice and active again. we should plan to meet up at end of this week or over the weekend for your adoption of some of the yeastie beasties.
Krinkle
Registered Broad

Post #89 by Krinkle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:40 pm

selyar wrote:
Krinkle wrote:

i pulled the starter out this morning and fed it once. it will probably need several days to get nice and active again. we should plan to meet up at end of this week or over the weekend for your adoption of some of the yeastie beasties.

Totally forgot about this! I'm around tomorrow and Friday all day, PM me and we'll figure something out. Thanks!! And I have to find that Naan recipe, its around somehwere.
R-66Y
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 85 times
Received rep: 49 times

Post #90 by R-66Y » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:41 pm

We're making smoked braised short ribs.
GM17
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 218 times
Received rep: 268 times

Post #91 by GM17 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:16 pm

Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow:

roasted turkey + roasted parsnip, carrot, and sweet potato

new england boiled dinner (salt beef + mashed turnip + mashed potato that were boiled w/ it)

and apple cranberry pie
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #92 by vonbonds » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:32 pm

I love parsnip
Krinkle
Registered Broad

Post #93 by Krinkle » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:51 pm

Selyar, what's your week look like? I'm pretty wide open til Soccer practice Friday night.
selyar
Registered Broad

Post #94 by selyar » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:45 pm

Working pretty standard hours, but not going to be around Friday or the weekend.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #95 by vonbonds » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:38 pm

I've cooked 3 nights this past week. Simple boneless chicken thighs..1 with a BBQ marinade and another with a steak and chop or whatever it was called in 2 waves was what I made earlier. The BBQ version tasted like candy on the charred bits which is my favorite.

Flashlight and fire is all I need

Return to “Hall of Shame”