YOUR 2013 Columbus Blue Jackets

Liberty and Union, One and Inseparable, Now and Forever
Captain Roy Bringus
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #101 by Captain Roy Bringus » Sun May 19, 2013 10:24 pm

jacketracket wrote:I haven't seen anything about this on the blogs - is this something being tossed around at HFBo?

I have not watched any Rangers playoff games as yet. Has Nash really been invisible, other than today's goal? I remember him being a shrinking violet against the Wings in 08/09 - and pretty much just going through the motions after that series.

http://www.jacketscannon.com/2013/5/18/4343148/2013-nhl-offseason-is-ryan-johansen-going-to-be-a-problem

For them to scratch him seems like a hell of a statement.

RE: The Rangers. Having paid more attention to them in the past few months, I've come to the realization that they're a mediocre team with the best goaltender in the NHL. If they don't have Lundqvist, they're finishing 9th-12th in the conference.

Nash hasn't been as bad as some of the criticism Milbury has given him but he still hasn't exactly elevated his game like he should have.
Bow Tie
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 10 times

Post #102 by Bow Tie » Mon May 20, 2013 8:20 am

Captain Roy Bringus wrote:http://www.jacketscannon.com/2013/5/18/4343148/2013-nhl-offseason-is-ryan-johansen-going-to-be-a-problem

For them to scratch him seems like a hell of a statement.

RE: The Rangers. Having paid more attention to them in the past few months, I've come to the realization that they're a mediocre team with the best goaltender in the NHL. If they don't have Lundqvist, they're finishing 9th-12th in the conference.

Nash hasn't been as bad as some of the criticism Milbury has given him but he still hasn't exactly elevated his game like he should have.

This has been the Rangers MO for the last few years. Everyone buys into Tortorella's system, which is kind of impressive. At the same time, they don't have the skill to take it a step further. Lundqvist is a godsend for them

As for the criticism of Nash, I think Keith Jones made the biggest statement about him, saying he's simply not in shape to handle the playoffs right now
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #103 by jacketracket » Fri May 31, 2013 3:49 am

Broads sporting the new divisions - nice! Just looks a bit weird seeing it in a discussion forum, for the first time.

I miss Raffi Torres.
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #104 by jacketracket » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:21 am

Hate to see Matthews go. He's been the lone redeeming factor of more bad games and lost seasons than I care to remember.
Captain Roy Bringus
Registered Broad

Post #105 by Captain Roy Bringus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:22 pm

jacketracket wrote:Broads sporting the new divisions - nice! Just looks a bit weird seeing it in a discussion forum, for the first time.

I like it too. But why is Detroit not in alphabetical order? Some sort of weird Canadian alphabet? :mcphee:

jacketracket wrote:Hate to see Matthews go. He's been the lone redeeming factor of more bad games and lost seasons than I care to remember.

End of an era for sure. Would have preferred he remain the last original media guy over Davidge.
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #106 by jacketracket » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:41 pm

Captain Roy Bringus wrote: End of an era for sure. Would have preferred he remain the last original media guy over Davidge.
Other than Davidge, Wolfe and Pizzuti, is there anyone left from the expansion days?

Love the Davidson commercial they're running - I haven't been this jacked for a season to start so soon after the last ended for years.
Captain Roy Bringus
Registered Broad

Post #107 by Captain Roy Bringus » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:04 pm

jacketracket wrote:Other than Davidge, Wolfe and Pizzuti, is there anyone left from the expansion days?

Love the Davidson commercial they're running - I haven't been this jacked for a season to start so soon after the last ended for years.

Think they'res a few of the original scouts still remaining.

I too, love those commercials. A big step up from those county fair-esque ads that ended with Rimer yelling.
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #108 by jacketracket » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:14 am

... just read the piece on Puck Rakers, about the 2003 draft - the horror ... the horror. The CBJ wanted Horton, but Florida wouldn't deal the third. So the CBJ chose between Zherdev and Vanek. Ryan Suter goes three picks after the CBJ took Fritsche, in the third.

I had managed to block it from my memory.

Really interesting article - points out how the Ducks and Flyers remade their identities with multiple firsts in a deep draft: Getzlaf/Perry and Carter/Richards.

Godspeed, Jarmo and crew.
Captain Roy Bringus
Registered Broad

Post #109 by Captain Roy Bringus » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:40 am

jacketracket wrote:... just read the piece on Puck Rakers, about the 2003 draft - the horror ... the horror. The CBJ wanted Horton, but Florida wouldn't deal the third. So the CBJ chose between Zherdev and Vanek. Ryan Suter goes three picks after the CBJ took Fritsche, in the third.

I had managed to block it from my memory.

Really interesting article - points out how the Ducks and Flyers remade their identities with multiple firsts in a deep draft: Getzlaf/Perry and Carter/Richards.

Godspeed, Jarmo and crew.

Good stuff. No idea they wanted Horton that badly.
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #110 by jacketracket » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:02 pm

Yeah, I'd never heard the Horton bit either. Narrowing your choice to Zherdev and Vanek - and selecting Zherdev - is classic early CBJ, though. Not knocking the process - I remember Zherdev being THE guy at that spot. But it's just another of those situations where the CBJ missed on a 50-50 call.
Captain Roy Bringus
Registered Broad

Post #111 by Captain Roy Bringus » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Natalie Taylor fired.

She had one of the nicest asses I've ever seen.
Captain Roy Bringus
Registered Broad

Post #112 by Captain Roy Bringus » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:48 pm

And fuck NBC4. Who the fuck cares about Morrow County other than Joe Q. Cousinfucker. They couldn't preempt 40 year old episodes of Bewitched put the game on Channel 4-2?
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #113 by jacketracket » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:17 pm

Captain Roy Bringus wrote:Natalie Taylor fired.

She had one of the nicest asses I've ever seen.
Was she the Fox Sports Ohio chick? Predoman went nuts when he saw her - he isn't used to seeing bints with teeth.
Captain Roy Bringus
Registered Broad

Post #114 by Captain Roy Bringus » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 pm

jacketracket wrote:Was she the Fox Sports Ohio chick? Predoman went nuts when he saw her - he isn't used to seeing bints with teeth.

yep, that's her.
Captain Roy Bringus
Registered Broad

Post #115 by Captain Roy Bringus » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:54 pm

As feral swine continue to pop up in parts of Ohio where they don’t belong, wildlife experts are increasingly convinced that residents are illegally transporting the invasive species from southern states.

No sightings have been confirmed in central Ohio yet, but one wildlife expert called their invasion inevitable.

“For decades, they were only in a handful of states,” said Dave Pauli, senior director of wildlife innovation and response at the U.S. Humane Society. “People are definitely moving them around.”

He said reality-television shows such as A&E’s Lady Hoggers and American Hoggers have inspired people to import the pigs, which have huge populations in states including Florida, Georgia and Texas.

“There are a lot of guys that think, ‘Gee, it’d be nice if I had hogs here,’  ” Pauli said. Moving these animals from place to place is a problem across the country, he said. “Pretty much, if they’re anywhere outside of Texas, Georgia, Florida and a few others, they’ve been moved.”

Craig Hicks, a wildlife disease biologist with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, hunts down feral swine in Ohio. He said feral pigs can ruin crops and soil, outcompete native wildlife and carry disease.

The USDA estimates feral swine cost taxpayers more than $1 billion each year in damage and control efforts.

For years, feral pigs were contained mostly in southeastern Ohio. But now they have been found as far north as Ashtabula County near Lake Erie and as far west as Butler County along the Indiana border.

Dr. Leah Dorman, a veterinarian and director of food programs at the Ohio Farm Bureau’s Center for Food and Animal Issues, said that because feral swine can transmit disease to farm pigs, they put Ohio’s $1.8 billion pork industry at risk.She said farmers across the state have reported crop damage.

Hicks, who described his statewide pig-hunting operation as a “one-man show,” euthanizes feral swine that he catches.

Dave Kohler, executive administrator for wildlife management and research at the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, said it is illegal to transfer a number of wild animals, including skunks, possums and raccoons. Doing so could be punishable by fine, restitution, imprisonment or seizure of the animal, according to the Ohio Revised Code.

As far as the feral pigs are concerned, he said, state investigators know people are relocating them.

“That’s not a situation in which they’ve migrated naturally,” Kohler said. “The highway system is how those animals were moved, and that’s pretty obvious.”

GOD DAMN HILLBILLIES.
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #116 by jacketracket » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:44 pm

He said reality-television shows such as A&E’s Lady Hoggers and American Hoggers have inspired people to import the pigs, which have huge populations in states including Florida, Georgia and Texas.

I gave up cable/satellite when I realized I never watched tv, other than CBJ games. Please tell me that I misread this ...
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #117 by jacketracket » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:53 pm

Sounds like Bobrovsky was the run-away Vezina winner - well deserved.

I don't get the angst over whether he will pull a Mason next season. IMO, it's unfair to expect he'll repeat his 2013 numbers. Not to shit on Mason, but Bobrovsky's reported work ethic and team-centered attitude suggests (to me, at least) that any drop off will be minimal.

I hope Mason matures into a starter. But I remember the stories about him reporting to camp, post-Calder.

Edit: get him signed
Bow Tie
Registered Broad

Post #118 by Bow Tie » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:35 pm

Bob can be streaky, and I don't know that you guys got to see that with the shortened season. I don't mean to take anything away from him -- when he's on his game, he's incredible to watch. His growth as a player is obvious, so his hot and cold stretches probably won't be nearly as dramatic as we saw in Philly. Just a head's up
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #119 by jacketracket » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:44 pm

Prison Mike wrote:Bob can be streaky, and I don't know that you guys got to see that with the shortened season. I don't mean to take anything away from him -- when he's on his game, he's incredible to watch. His growth as a player is obvious, so his hot and cold stretches probably won't be nearly as dramatic as we saw in Philly. Just a head's up

I don't think the CBJ team defense gets nearly enough credit for Bobrovsky's season. That said, even early on he seemed like the type to easily shake off a bad goal - unlike Mason.

Edit: in short, I think the difference in play between Bobrovsky's peaks and valleys will be much less noticeable than with Mason
Bow Tie
Registered Broad

Post #120 by Bow Tie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:12 am

jacketracket wrote:I don't think the CBJ team defense gets nearly enough credit for Bobrovsky's season. That said, even early on he seemed like the type to easily shake off a bad goal - unlike Mason.

Edit: in short, I think the difference in play between Bobrovsky's peaks and valleys will be much less noticeable than with Mason

Probably. Bob's work ethic was a story from day one. That trade will go down as a huge gaffe in Flyers lore if they don't find a way to bring in a Bernier or someone to compete with Mason and they both work out or at least help in getting a Cup. Getting Mason at the deadline only made it more of a joke. I'm just hoping Mason isn't as hot of a mess as he was with you guys
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #121 by jacketracket » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:13 pm

What's the deal, CRB?

Judging from recent news one in three Ohioans now has a captive locked in the basement. I don't. You?
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #122 by jacketracket » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:31 pm

Raffi gets $2 Mio per, three years - good on him. Questionable hits aside, guy was money during the playoff push here.
Bow Tie
Registered Broad

Post #123 by Bow Tie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:29 pm

jacketracket wrote:What's the deal, CRB?

Judging from recent news one in three Ohioans now has a captive locked in the basement. I don't. You?

Those aren't captives, they're just the homeowners not wanting to subject themselves to the rest of Ohio
Captain Roy Bringus
Registered Broad

Post #124 by Captain Roy Bringus » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:28 am

jacketracket wrote:What's the deal, CRB?

I don't think you could pay me to answer any Craigs list/classified ad from NE Ohio.
Captain Roy Bringus
Registered Broad

Post #125 by Captain Roy Bringus » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:32 am

RE: The Prospal situation.

“I want to come back,” Prospal said. “I want to be in Columbus. But I don’t know what’s going to happen. I’ve reached out to the club a couple of times, and they’ve told me they’ll let me know a couple of times, but I received nothing. I don’t know if that’s supposed to tell me something or what.” - See more at: http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2013/06/21/prospal-heads-home-as-talks-stall.html#sthash.Q0YdQN3R.dpuf

I'm more comfortable with not bringing Prospal back than most CBJ fans, but I'm somewhat pissed that they're jerking him around like this. Surprised as well, given the commitment by Davidson to doing things the right way.
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #126 by jacketracket » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:23 pm

I'm disappointed.

Vinny got screwed with the Howson promise, only to see a serious regime walk in. But he then backs it up by leading the team in scoring.

I'm still impressed by the fact that he was the first in eleven seasons to step forward - a month in - and call a turd a turd.
Captain Roy Bringus
Registered Broad

Post #127 by Captain Roy Bringus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:16 pm

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2013/06/22/cheap-gas-big-rush.html

Dan Hupp popped open the back of his truck and started unloading more than a dozen plastic gas cans at a United Dairy Farmers store in Clintonville, where gas dropped to $3.299 a gallon yesterday.

The people in cars behind him didn’t look pleased about the extra wait while he filled them up, but Hupp didn’t care. He wanted to stock up as much as possible.“Buy 100 gallons, it’ll last you a few weeks,” said Hupp, who’s concerned about another sudden spike in prices. Gasoline prices started dropping on Thursday evening at stations across the state, sparking long lines and long waits for bargain fill-ups

This is the front article of the paper. Nice of the Dispatch to reinforce the cow-town stereotype. :busky:
Bow Tie
Registered Broad

Post #128 by Bow Tie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:05 pm

How much of a drop is that, that 3.29 is a bargain?

Also, he looks fucking insane
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #129 by jacketracket » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Good god.

That reminds me of a woman I used to work with, several years ago. She spend half her day at work surfing the web checking gas prices across town. Fortunately for her, she was fired and so no longer needed to fill up to drive to a job.
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #130 by jacketracket » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Terence Peterman wrote:How much of a drop is that, that 3.29 is a bargain?

I filled up Wednesday - couldn't tell you what I paid.

Gas lines? Surfing the web comparing prices? Hobo Hank and his cans? Good god - are people really that financially desperate, or is it just the thrill of the "bargain"?

Really?
Captain Roy Bringus
Registered Broad

Post #131 by Captain Roy Bringus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Terence Peterman wrote:How much of a drop is that, that 3.29 is a bargain?

It went down about 60 cents in 2 weeks. Not that it was ever expensive compared to out East.
Bow Tie
Registered Broad

Post #132 by Bow Tie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Captain Roy Bringus wrote:It went down about 60 cents in 2 weeks. Not that it was ever expensive compared to out East.

I'm in New Jersey, where it's apparently cheaper than most places. 3.29 is par for the course, which is why I was asking
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #133 by jacketracket » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:43 pm

I used to work with a woman who would spend half her day at the office surfing gas prices, so she could plot her errands around driving across town to save a few cents a gallon. Eventually got fired, and so didn't have to worry about all that extra driving.
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #134 by jacketracket » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:56 pm

Irrational exuberance aside, I don't recall ever being this jacked for a new season - and that includes the immediate post-expansion years. These fuckers are finally on to something, IMO - and the East is gonna pay the price.
Captain Roy Bringus
Registered Broad

Post #135 by Captain Roy Bringus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:02 am

jacketracket wrote:Irrational exuberance aside, I don't recall ever being this jacked for a new season - and that includes the immediate post-expansion years. These fuckers are finally on to something, IMO - and the East is gonna pay the price.

I'm excited too. Sounds like this will be a pretty active off-season, with plenty of chances to improve (and screw up) the team.

Can't believe the draft is less than a week away.
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #136 by jacketracket » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:50 pm

Hard to imagine that Umberger and Boll are now the longest-tenured Jackets.
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #137 by jacketracket » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:34 pm

Per Yardbarker's CBJ rumors:

Eklund is reporting that Thomas is likely to end up in Columbus. It's rated an e4, so it must be serious.
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #138 by jacketracket » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:56 am

From Arace's column, today:

Strange, isn’t it? The Jackets’ decade-plus tale of woe is marked by a checkered draft history. There is no need to go into detail, but the primary reason they have made the playoffs just once in 12 seasons is their inability to identify and develop talent. Now, suddenly, something has sneaked up on them.

This team was assembled, almost exclusively, during the six-year term of former GM Scott Howson. His trades look pretty good now. So does some of his drafting, which brings up another irony. Two years ago, Howson fired the longtime amateur scouting director, Don Boyd — and Boyd’s staff delivered Cam Atkinson, Jared Boll, Matt Calvert and Dalton Prout, each of whom was selected in the fourth round or later. Davidson knew he had a few bricks when he arrived in Columbus. He had more than he thought.

Good stuff!

I haven't been this excited for a new season to begin, so soon after the last ended, in years.
Bow Tie
Registered Broad

Post #139 by Bow Tie » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:16 pm

Dreger saying Bobbums wants 6 million a year and you guys are shopping him...feelings?
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #140 by jacketracket » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:35 pm

If he's seriously considering the KHL offer, there is nothing the CBJ could have done. I'd think $6M is at the limit the CBJ would consider, for two years. If that's the case, I'd rather they sit back and watch what RFA offers he receives - let him walk and take the picks.

He seems to have all the intangibles Mason didn't have - strong work ethic, mental toughness. And he's a good team guy. But IMO a good piece of his success last season was built on team defense.
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #141 by jacketracket » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:23 pm

I'm a bit underwhelmed, if only because all the build-up had the CBJ likely moving at least one of the picks for another NHL-ready "brick".
Captain Roy Bringus
Registered Broad

Post #142 by Captain Roy Bringus » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:27 pm

jacketracket wrote:I'm a bit underwhelmed, if only because all the build-up had the CBJ likely moving at least one of the picks for another NHL-ready "brick".

Yep. Thought Seguin might be a Blue Jacket today. Not so.

At least Bob is signed.
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #143 by jacketracket » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:30 pm

You hear anything yet on what Bobrovsky got?
Captain Roy Bringus
Registered Broad

Post #144 by Captain Roy Bringus » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:48 pm

jacketracket wrote:You hear anything yet on what Bobrovsky got?

No. I'm expecting something around 5.5-6 million.

It'll only be 2 years so if he pulls a Mason, the team is only short-term fucked.
Captain Roy Bringus
Registered Broad

Post #145 by Captain Roy Bringus » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:32 pm

Apparently, it's just under 6 million.
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #146 by jacketracket » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:11 pm

Wow ... Tyler Wright leaving. Seems like odd timing.
Captain Roy Bringus
Registered Broad

Post #147 by Captain Roy Bringus » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:25 pm

jacketracket wrote:Wow ... Tyler Wright leaving. Seems like odd timing.

Probably not good commentary on the draft when your chief scout is gone less than 24 hours after it ended.
jacketracket
Registered Broad

Post #148 by jacketracket » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:50 am

I didn't necessarily mind seeing the old regime reward an original Jacket by giving him a position in the organization. But director of amateur scouting, after only three years (if that) as a developmental coach? I'd imagine a scouting pro's pro like JK saw through that fairly quickly. Face-saving move for Wright - allowing him to stay on through the draft, and then announce his resignation?
AD
Has given rep: 777 times
Received rep: 921 times

Post #149 by AD » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:09 pm

jacketracket wrote:I didn't necessarily mind seeing the old regime reward an original Jacket by giving him a position in the organization. But director of amateur scouting, after only three years (if that) as a developmental coach? I'd imagine a scouting pro's pro like JK saw through that fairly quickly. Face-saving move for Wright - allowing him to stay on through the draft, and then announce his resignation?

He probably had 0 to do with this draft class. kekekelainen probably ran this one.
Bow Tie
Registered Broad

Post #150 by Bow Tie » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:23 pm

You guys aren't qualifying York. Feel like he's played well enough to earn a contract, but I guess depth gives you that option. What do you guys think of him?

Return to “Columbus Blue Jackets”