Stastny: Trade / Keep Too Loose / Keep and pray he signs!

Straight noggin

What to do?

Trade him @ deadline/draft day
25%
Sign Him
75%
Watch him walk away
No votes

Total votes: 4
chewey
Registered Broad

Stastny: Trade / Keep Too Loose / Keep and pray he signs!

Post #1 by chewey » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:57 pm

What do you guys thinks happens with Stastny? What do you guys hope happens?

I personally expect him to signed and if nothing is done soon, he'll be shipped either at the deadline or draft day (UFA's rights have been traded during draft days before).

I hope he gets signed. Having a top 6/9 of:

RoR - Duch - McGinn/Stastny/xxx
Lando - MacKi - McGinn/Stastny/xxx
xxx - Stastny - xxxx

as our core is awesome. You have 5 guys that can pot 50+ points.

If need be the Avs can always trade Stastny later for something of value as well. Stastny signed and then traded > Stastny's current UFA status for a team.

If Stastny is traded I hope the base minimum is a prospect + 2nd. Hell if Iggy, Bowmy can get a 1st, Stastny can get around that value as well.
VLoo
Has given rep: 58 times
Received rep: 76 times

Post #2 by VLoo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:01 pm

I'm starting to come around on resigning him if we can get him at a good number. As you mentioned, Stastny locked up long term offers better value than as an impending UFA, so I'd be willing to wait it out if possible.

I would really really like to deal him for a Top 4 dman. That's where we need the most help and I think he could bring that in with the right team.
NHL33
Received rep: 1 time

Post #3 by NHL33 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:38 pm

Trade him for Shea Weber. We can throw in a pick or two. A 2nd and 3rd would be pretty fair.
VLoo

Post #4 by VLoo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:03 pm

NHL33 wrote:Trade him for Shea Weber. We can throw in a pick or two. A 2nd and 3rd would be pretty fair.

PAP would probably fit in really well in Nashville....
chewey
Registered Broad

Post #5 by chewey » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:15 pm

VLoo wrote:I'm starting to come around on resigning him if we can get him at a good number.

Anything under $6.6, and our cap space is better than before. Right now the Avs have $12 in cap space with his hit. If they can get him at 5.5 - 6, then hell they are in a good spot! Not to mention the cap rising by 7M.

As you mentioned, Stastny locked up long term offers better value than as an impending UFA, so I'd be willing to wait it out if possible.

Even then, Stastny locked up long term helps this team's depth. Come playoff time that could prove to be the difference of how far this team goes.

I would really really like to deal him for a Top 4 dman. That's where we need the most help and I think he could bring that in with the right team.

I think the Avs have a lot of other assets that can be used: PAP + McGinn + 1st + 2nd + Prospects.

I am not advocating mortgaging our team's future for immediate solution, cause in all honesty this team's window for a cup is large. However if the right player became available, we have assets on top of Stastny to acquire said player.

The Avs could get lucky and draft one. Hamonic, Faulk and Josi were 2nd round picks. Though the Avs have a better chance of drafting another Stastny - esque player than a defenseman.

In hindsight, the Avs should've drafted Psysk over Hishon.

NHL33 wrote:Trade him for Shea Weber. We can throw in a pick or two. A 2nd and 3rd would be pretty fair.

This isn't 2006-2008 anymore buddy. :'(

VLoo wrote:PAP would probably fit in really well in Nashville....

He would. However the Preds have no need to trade assets for him. They aren't going to be contending and need to rebuild with, you know, offensive players that aren't russian.
VLoo

Post #6 by VLoo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:32 pm

base wrote:I think the Avs have a lot of other assets that can be used: PAP + McGinn + 1st + 2nd + Prospects.

I am not advocating mortgaging our team's future for immediate solution, cause in all honesty this team's window for a cup is large. However if the right player became available, we have assets on top of Stastny to acquire said player.

This team is still young and I would very much prefer they not deal away high picks right now. They're not a player away. That said, Stastny and PAP are valuable and I would be in favour of dealing them for defensive help.

base wrote:The Avs could get lucky and draft one. Hamonic, Faulk and Josi were 2nd round picks. Though the Avs have a better chance of drafting another Stastny - esque player than a defenseman.

In hindsight, the Avs should've drafted Psysk over Hishon.

I don't think Bigras is far away from stepping into the lineup. Not sure why you think Pysyk would crack this lineup, haven't been impressed by him at all this year. I would be surprised if he develops beyond a 5-6. It doesn't seem all that likely, but I would still love to get Girardi somehow.
chewey
Registered Broad

Post #7 by chewey » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:52 pm

VLoo wrote:This team is still young and I would very much prefer they not deal away high picks right now. They're not a player away. That said, Stastny and PAP are valuable and I would be in favour of dealing them for defensive help.

Yes and no. If FLA asked us for a 1st + PaP for Kulikov + Matthias/Goc/Bergenheim, I would do that trade. If its a move that not only addresses our need now, but a building block for the future I have no issues moving that 1st.

Now if its a 1st for Markov, then yeah fuck that.

I don't think Bigras is far away from stepping into the lineup. Not sure why you think Pysyk would crack this lineup, haven't been impressed by him at all this year. I would be surprised if he develops beyond a 5-6. It doesn't seem all that likely, but I would still love to get Girardi somehow.

I just pulled his name out of my ass as he is the only Dman drafted after Hishon in the 1st round to make the NHL. There was also a lot of, be it empty, speculation that the Avs were going to draft Pysyk. Plus Sabers fans love him. Should have said Faulk!
NHL33

Post #8 by NHL33 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:37 am

Should have won the 2005 draft lottery. Bunch of losers.
NHL33

Post #9 by NHL33 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:49 am

For the record I'd like Sakic and Roy to build a team with a solid top-9 and a weak, but barely ever relied upon, bottom line made of cheap players. The NHL trend of having a top-6 and bottom-6 delineation is frankly an inefficient model.

We can have a dominant first line spear-headed by MacKinnon not too far in the future, and Duchene and O'Reilly/Stastny behind him down the middle. That is tremendous center depth. Unfortunately the wings are not overwhelmingly strong. If we were to retain Stastny, that gives us 4 centers - O'Reilly being pushed to the wing assuming the current model - and fills out 5 out of 9 spots (Landeskog).

Add in a couple of players like McGinn and Talbot, and you only have 2 remaining slots open. Assuming Parenteau is moved for defensive help, pick up a skilled player in free agency and hope the last slot is filled with a healthy Tanguay.

Down the line we can upgrade on McGinn and Talbot, but it's dependent on some skill and/or luck within drafting and player development. I imagine at least 1 of Sgarbossa, Hishon, Smith and Malone will be productive.

We'll leave the blue line discussion for another thread.
ABasin

Post #10 by ABasin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:23 am

dempsey_k wrote:Ah, what the hell, keep him.

I mean who cares about line symmetry. We can figure that all out later.

There's what I think they'll do, and what I'd like to see them do.

I think they'll keep him for this season, then lose him as a FA this Summer. What I'd like to see, is them move him for a defenseman.

I believe the Avs' management wants/needs a playoff run above anything else right now. They've created some momentum, and they simply won't do anything to risk a few home playoff games. Trading Stastny at the deadline would represent said risk, so they won't do it. I also don't believe they'll pony up $12M+ per year for O'R and Stastny this Summer, with their defense still in shambles and with Duchene/MacKinnon sitting there at the center position for the next decade or so.

In short, I believe they'll 'trade' Stastny leaving as a UFA in return for a guaranteed few playoff games.
VLoo

Post #11 by VLoo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:59 am

ABasin wrote:There's what I think they'll do, and what I'd like to see them do.

I think they'll keep him for this season, then lose him as a FA this Summer. What I'd like to see, is them move him for a defenseman.

I believe the Avs' management wants/needs a playoff run above anything else right now. They've created some momentum, and they simply won't do anything to risk a few home playoff games. Trading Stastny at the deadline would represent said risk, so they won't do it. I also don't believe they'll pony up $12M+ per year for O'R and Stastny this Summer, with their defense still in shambles and with Duchene/MacKinnon sitting there at the center position for the next decade or so.

In short, I believe they'll 'trade' Stastny leaving as a UFA in return for a guaranteed few playoff games.

It would have to be a disastrous final part of the season to not make the playoffs. If we go something like 8-16 over our final 24 we'll still end up with 96 points. If we can move him now for a top 4 dman, I make the deal.
Brain of J
Registered Broad

Post #12 by Brain of J » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:06 pm

If they lose him for nothing, l'll be furious. They have to trade him if they aren't bringing him back.
stan:getz

Post #13 by stan:getz » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Brain of J wrote:If they lose him for nothing, l'll be furious. They have to trade him if they aren't bringing him back.

You'll be furious with what ever they get back too, so it really doesn't matter.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[CENTER][font="Trebuchet MS"][color="#4169e1"]Do not fuck with me[/color][/font][/CENTER]
NHL33

Post #14 by NHL33 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:46 pm

Having Stastny walk is only acceptable if we win the Stanley Cup first. That's not happening.

Neither is someone going to simply give us garbage for a player who is finally playing like a top-6 center again and we have the option of retaining salary to help facilitate a trade, should we investigate that avenue.
Brain of J
Registered Broad

Post #15 by Brain of J » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:28 pm

StanGetz wrote:You'll be furious with what ever they get back too, so it really doesn't matter.

I think they could get a good return for him with an expiring deal to an East team.

Post #16 by stan:getz » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:29 pm

Brain of J wrote:I think they could get a good return for him with an expiring deal to an East team.

I'll bet whatever they get back is equally mediocre as he really is.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

[CENTER][font="Trebuchet MS"][color="#4169e1"]Do not fuck with me[/color][/font][/CENTER]
chewey
Registered Broad

Post #17 by chewey » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:06 am

ABasin wrote:There's what I think they'll do, and what I'd like to see them do.

I certainly hope management isn't stupid enough to go 'oh hey! lets try to make a playoff run now, while we still can beyond all hope and logic' instead of 'oh wow, that is a good piece to have for the future'. However you do bring a valid point and I am sure a run in the playoffs will help grow attendance more next season. Its still a business.

Who do you think the Avs could get for him though?

dempsey_k wrote:Who could we reasonably expect to get in return for him? You've gotta think it'd be a Bigras-type player.

I am not sure what a 'Bigras-type player' means? Hell, I am not sure where he even ranks in terms of prospects. Top 50? Top 100? 2ND round pick?

Brain of J wrote:I think they could get a good return for him with an expiring deal to an East team.

I can't think of many teams willing to pony up a good asset for a guy that would potentially leave in the offseason. What value were you thinking?

StanGetz wrote:I'll bet whatever they get back is equally mediocre as he really is.

2013-2014: currently, ranked 28th in points for a center with the 2nd fewest games played among anyone in the top 30
2012-2013: 53rd in points, with 4th fewest games played behind anyone in top 60
2011-2012: ranked 27th in points for a center
2010-2011: ranked 26th in points for a center
2009-2010: ranked 8th in points for a center

I wouldn't say mediocre defines Stastny. You could argue if coach/players also effect him. I recall more than enough times where he had setup Jones, McGinn, Porter for a empty net just to see them hit the post or shoot at the goalies glove.

We'll see. Trade deadline is close enough.
HowardBrazee
Registered Broad

Post #18 by HowardBrazee » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:38 am

Resign to resign him.

Post #19 by stan:getz » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Stastny is entering the back half of his prime. He'll be a UFA after the season. He could very well command a lot of money, coming off that contract, and looking at those comparable to him. I don't think many teams are going to give up gold for the prospect of a number 2 center that will likely test FA.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

NHL33

Post #20 by NHL33 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:25 pm

base wrote:I can't think of many teams willing to pony up a good asset for a guy that would potentially leave in the offseason.

People say this all the time when it comes to rentals. They are usually proven wrong.

Post #21 by stan:getz » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:35 pm

NHL33 wrote:People say this all the time when it comes to rentals. They are usually proven wrong.

Which contending team is realistically going to give up a number 2 defenseman for Stastny at the deadline?

I suspect we keep him, as we're in the race too. I don't think management is going to rush to sell him. I think he'd come back with how the future is looking and how management is doing things.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

NHL33

Post #22 by NHL33 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:13 pm

StanGetz wrote:Which contending team is realistically going to give up a number 2 defenseman for Stastny at the deadline?

I suspect we keep him, as we're in the race too. I don't think management is going to rush to sell him. I think he'd come back with how the future is looking and how management is doing things.

What is your basis for saying "number 2 defenseman"? No contender will give up a top pairing defenseman, but we could get a prospect whose ceiling is that and realistic floor is #4. If a team is overloaded with prospects and you can acquire someone without losing someone significant off the current roster, then you go for it if it gives you a chance to win the Cup. If I'm someone like St. Louis, I'd seriously consider it.

Stastny isn't helping us win shit this year. He is playing well but our defense blows; if lucky we could *maybe* take the 1st round depending on the match up.

If the team decides to keep him for potential gate revenue that the 2nd round - assuming we get there - brings in, then so be it. But let's not dismiss the idea of trading Stastny simply due to the potential return value; it won't be trivial even if he can walk in the summer -- the whole idea is the opposite of the truth, especially given cap management. Plus I don't think we're in any sort of position to scoff at bodies that may be NHL ready, not have been given much of a chance due to sufficient depth by their organizations, and could fit in well.

Don't have specific names. Maybe the likes of Brian Dumoulin, if he had been on another organization? Should be a solid defenseman going off others' reports. Nothing fancy but an improvement all the same and young enough to integrate into our core. Again, a stab in the dark with that one but a rough example to get some sort of idea; could use tweaking.

Keeping Stastny is fine. But only if he is re-upped.
ABasin

Post #23 by ABasin » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:54 am

StanGetz wrote:Which contending team is realistically going to give up a number 2 defenseman for Stastny at the deadline?

Which contending team that is weak at center is realistically going to give up a number 2 defenseman for Stastny at the deadline?

A chunk of the playoff teams don't need a center at all - Pitt, Boston, LA, SJ, Anaheim, Philadelphia, Chicago, etc.
chewey
Registered Broad

Post #24 by chewey » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:38 pm

NHL33 wrote:People say this all the time when it comes to rentals. They are usually proven wrong.

Maybe I should rephrase 'good assets'.

In my first post of this thread this is what I ended with:

me wrote:If Stastny is traded I hope the base minimum is a prospect + 2nd. Hell if Iggy, Bowmy can get a 1st, Stastny can get around that value as well.

I am expecting a 2nd + prospect. Or maybe a high drafted 1st prospect similar to Seimens (e.g. Despres, Oldeska, Klefbom, etc.). I do not expect us to get a top 4 dman or top 4 dman with potential (e.g. Kulikov, Josi, Bogosian, Gardiner, Tanev, Edler).

If you still disagree, then we'll have to wait and find out. ;)
ABasin

Post #25 by ABasin » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:42 pm

dempsey_k wrote:Is this rhetorical or are you agreeing with Getz?

I doubt anybody would give us anything of consequence. Phoenix might let us take one of their dmen on the bubble. Maybe Winnipeg would give us Josh Morrissey?

Agreeing with Getz.
NHL33

Post #26 by NHL33 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:21 pm

base wrote:Maybe I should rephrase 'good assets'.

I am expecting a 2nd + prospect. Or maybe a high drafted 1st prospect similar to Seimens (e.g. Despres, Oldeska, Klefbom, etc.). I do not expect us to get a top 4 dman or top 4 dman with potential (e.g. Kulikov, Josi, Bogosian, Gardiner, Tanev, Edler).

If you still disagree, then we'll have to wait and find out. ;)

The former are good assets. They are not 'great' assets. I would not count out Gardiner though.

Either way, I'll sign up for any prospect that is basically NHL ready with a floor of #4 defenseman in return for a player that will walk in the summer any day.

Re-sign Stastny or trade him, retaining any salary/cap necessary to maximize a return. End of.
NHL33

Post #27 by NHL33 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:55 pm

dempsey_k wrote:I've always understood the trouble with this is that the players' agents keep this possibility ambiguous straight up until July to maximize their leverage.

Nothing prevents him from signing before the deadline. Either he commits or he doesn't.
chewey
Registered Broad

Post #28 by chewey » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:15 am

NHL33 wrote:Nothing prevents him from signing before the deadline. Either he commits or he doesn't.

Yep. He also has more power if he waits till deadline too. I.e. Team XXX offered me $$$ for YYY. If you don't match, I am outties!
ABasin

Post #29 by ABasin » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:38 am

hek wrote:If he won't re-sign you absolutely trade him for whatever you can get at the deadline.

I agree, but I'll wager the Avs don't.
NHL33

Post #30 by NHL33 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:29 pm

dempsey_k wrote:Isn't that illegal?

I think he means post-trade deadline, i.e. as alluded to before the agent says one thing but come July 1st, they can use the competing offers for obvious financial leverage.
chewey
Registered Broad

Post #31 by chewey » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:56 pm

dempsey_k wrote:Isn't that illegal?

Indeed it is.

NHL33 wrote:I think he means post-trade deadline, i.e. as alluded to before the agent says one thing but come July 1st, they can use the competing offers for obvious financial leverage.

And yes I did.

You don't understand me, you don't understand me at all demp! :why:
chewey
Registered Broad

Post #32 by chewey » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:13 pm

dempsey_k wrote:Roy said we're probably not making a move, which is probably on account of what we've already determined: there is no good deal for Parenteau, Stastny is worth keeping.

Yes and no.

You can make a argument that most teams may get more desperate during the deadline. Perhaps GMs haven't had the incentive to pull the trigger on a bigger package waiting to see if they can get someone else first. E.g. Instead of trading a 1st for Stastny, St. Louis may just be waiting to see if Winnipeg will take a 2nd of Olli. Instead of Vancouver trading Elder for PaP + Seimens they might be waiting to see if they can get Varbada for Yan Sauve.

Chicago, St. Louis, Ducks, Toronto, Montreal, New York Rangers, Detroit, Columbus and Washington could all want Stastny for a playoff push/run as depth is the most important thing you can have during the stretch. I am sure that once the small players start being moved the teams will get desperate.

PaP might not be moved with Tanguay's injury. I know the team has played well without Tangs and PaP throughout the season but I am sure they didn't think Tangs would be out for the playoffs. They may hold onto PaP till the draft/next year's deadline but I do see him being moved eventually. Would love PaP + Seimens for Edler.
Ironchef Chris Wok
Registered Broad

Post #33 by Ironchef Chris Wok » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:40 am

dempsey_k wrote:I wouldn't hesitate pulling the trigger on PA Parenteau for Edler even right now. Anything is possible with him and Stastny moving, but Roy said they think they have the team they need. That's an admission of not getting any good offers, and not being optimistic on getting any either. We'll see.

Edler is playing like a turd right now.
NHL33

Post #34 by NHL33 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:08 am

Ironchef Chris Wok wrote:Edler is playing like a turd right now.

Have you seen our roster? Edler at his worst is probably still an upgrade.
chewey
Registered Broad

Post #35 by chewey » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:56 am

Ironchef Chris Wok wrote:Edler is playing like a turd right now.

Honestly, I think AV just isn't the coach for him. Some players play better with a certain system/coach (e.g. PaP with Saco) and others do not (e.g. Stastny with Sacco).

Edler even with his brain farts is a floor #3/4 Dman with top-pairing material. Would trade PaP + Seimens in a heart beat!
Brain of J
Registered Broad

Post #36 by Brain of J » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:31 pm

I really have no interest in letting Stastny walk away for nothing. I'm not convinced, despite what he says about loving Denver, that he wants to come back. Anyone in their right mind can see the Avs want Duchene and MacKinnon down the middle, even Stastny.

I threw it out at HF and have no idea if it's realistic, but wouldn't mind a Stastny and Elliott trade for Tinordi and Lars Eller. Eller could step in and be that 3rd line center who plays defensive matchups, and Foote could work with Tinordi into becoming that big nasty defenseman.
chewey
Registered Broad

Post #37 by chewey » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:48 am

Brain of J wrote:I really have no interest in letting Stastny walk away for nothing. I'm not convinced, despite what he says about loving Denver, that he wants to come back. Anyone in their right mind can see the Avs want Duchene and MacKinnon down the middle, even Stastny.

It is an interesting situation. I believe Stastny has been on the wing with MacK and Lando recently too. Either that or it must have been a funny play that took Stastny out of position and I missed it.

IF he is kept past the deadline I hope the Avs try to put him on wing each game for a few shifts. I think he would do well as a LW/RW a'la RoR. His defensive game won't be utilized as much but his offensive game might flourish further.

I threw it out at HF and have no idea if it's realistic, but wouldn't mind a Stastny and Elliott trade for Tinordi and Lars Eller. Eller could step in and be that 3rd line center who plays defensive matchups

I have never been a fan of Eller. The guy feels like a player who has the tools and no tool box to put it all together. I highly doubt Montreal would give up those assets for Stastny and rather pass to sign him in the offseason. Teams who believe they can win the cup this year (Ducks, Chicago, Blues) might pony up that type of package.

Foote could work with Tinordi into becoming that big nasty defenseman.

I never understood this train of thought. There have been many Dmen that are taller, faster and stronger than Foote. What made him unique? His mindset to **** everyone. Same with Roy. You can't teach a certain mentality to players. Either they have that or they don't. You can put them in a position to find and develop their mentality like Roy with EJ. He's allowing him to carry the puck and jump into the offensive zone more for him to gain confidence in his ability. Its not as if Roy got Pronger on the phone and he started shouting at EJ to get better.
WarriorOfGandhi
Registered Broad

Post #38 by WarriorOfGandhi » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:26 am

tonight might be Stastny's last game as an Av. 8 seasons, 444 career points, 522 games. But the true legacy will be the fact that Colorado drafted Ryan Stoa ahead of him.

Post #39 by stan:getz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:28 pm

What the fuck is this bullshit?
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Useful Idiot

Post #40 by Useful Idiot » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:28 pm

dempsey_k wrote:A paywall.

Try to get around it with incognito, that works with NYTimes.

He should be able to just disable JavaScript and have it work. If, however, that modal dialogue was not shown with JavaScript, then some sort of technique which meddles with cookies (private browsing) would be the best alternative.
Useful Idiot

Post #41 by Useful Idiot » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:03 pm

dempsey_k wrote:Do any of your fancy computer man techniques work on the Financial Times?

No, the FT people just serve a blank article. I presume that the article is sitting in a database somewhere, waiting to be retrieved by some server-side code. Because the logic is on the server, there is not much I can do. There used to be a trick with ESPN Insider where one could add a query string parameter which would serve the article, but I doubt that any of the developers at the FT are that stupid.

If I were writing a paywall, I would have done the same thing. Any paywall which renders the article and then runs its logic on the client (your computer) is feckless.
VLoo

Post #42 by VLoo » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:50 pm

dempsey_k wrote:Stastny willing to take hometown discount:

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_25272278/paul-stastny-absolutely-willing-grant-avs-discount

Stastny's agent is probably upset with him for saying that.

They key, as mentioned in the article, is how what exactly does a discount mean? Because I don't know that I'd want him back for more than 5. He could probably get close to what he's making now or maybe a touch less on the open market. Does he love Colorado enough to lose on quite a few millions?
NHL33

Post #43 by NHL33 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:11 pm

I'd go up to $5.5M.
VLoo

Post #44 by VLoo » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:20 pm

NHL33 wrote:I'd go up to $5.5M.

I guess term is key if you're bringing him back. To have Duchene, O'Reilly and Stastny locked up at 5+ and then in 2 years I don't see why you wouldn't give Mack a long term deal instead of a bridge and have him up in the 6-7 range(dependent on development, but hard to believe he wouldn't be worth it in 2 years). It's a lot of money to have dedicated down the middle. Maybe ROR is a "winger", but even then you'd have 3 C's making 5 plus. You'd hope we're actually going to upgrade of D corps at some point, so you're going to need money not just concentrated on the center position.
NHL33

Post #45 by NHL33 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:38 pm

VLoo wrote:I guess term is key if you're bringing him back. To have Duchene, O'Reilly and Stastny locked up at 5+ and then in 2 years I don't see why you wouldn't give Mack a long term deal instead of a bridge and have him up in the 6-7 range(dependent on development, but hard to believe he wouldn't be worth it in 2 years). It's a lot of money to have dedicated down the middle. Maybe ROR is a "winger", but even then you'd have 3 C's making 5 plus. You'd hope we're actually going to upgrade of D corps at some point, so you're going to need money not just concentrated on the center position.

If the Kroenkes are willing to spend up to the cap, just give him the $5.5M annually for whatever term it is and we'll figure out the rest later.

CapGeek is projecting approximately $28.5M in cap space for next season.

Let's say $5.5M and $6M for Stastny and O'Reilly respectively. That brings it down to $17M.
Let's also say McGinn ($3M), Giguere/backup ($1.5M) and Mitchell/?? ($1.25M) bring the cap space to $11.25M.
Barrie gets a bridge contract capping at $1.5M so EJ-Hejda-Barrie-Guenin-Holden are locked $9.75M. There's enough wiggle room to add a couple of defenders...tight, but possible.

??-MacKinnon-Tanguay
Talbot-Duchene-O'Reilly
Landeskog-Stastny-McGinn
Cliche, McLeod, Bordeleau, Mitchell/??

Hejda-EJ
??-Barrie
??-Guenin
Holden

Lines and line pairings pictured above don't matter. Decent.

Of course, if we're actually under some budget contrary to what the organization has been proclaiming for a while, and therefore will not spend upwards of the salary cap max, you can fuck this plan into bloody bits.
chewey
Registered Broad

Post #46 by chewey » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:19 am

VLoo wrote:Because I don't know that I'd want him back for more than 5.

Seriously? I'd take him at 6M. Why? Because we can always trade him after. It doesn't matter what he is signed to as long as it isn't more than his current hit. Hell, I'd even take him back at his current hit.

Not wanting Stastny back @ his current rate or less if he is willing and let him go is just a dumbass move. There may be teams interested in him that he may out price but may move the needed assets to get him at a good cap hit later.

I'd ideally like him a touch under 6M. Even if he doesn't work on C I wouldn't mind him try on the wing. If it works, great! We've got a solid Winger. If not, then great! We have a hell of a asset to move.

He could probably get close to what he's making now or maybe a touch less on the open market. Does he love Colorado enough to lose on quite a few millions?

A top 2 center who could be a team's 1B with proper line mates + good defensive play? Yea, he'd get what he is currently making if not more by some dumb GM. *looking at Nonis*

NHL33 wrote:I'd go up to $5.5M.

I'd go upto his current contract. We aren't hurting for cap space and him @ his current rate or less is still a great tradable asset. If you don't trade him tomorrow, sign him to what he is willing to give with his "discount" and then trade again later.

Yesh! Its like he suddenly stops becoming a valuable asset to you guys.
chewey
Registered Broad

Post #47 by chewey » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:40 pm

[quote="dempsey_k"][/QUOTE]

Not sure if they have an option to feel any differently at this point. lol.

Return to “2001 Stanley Cup Champion Colorado Avalanche”