3 on 3

Straight noggin
HowardBrazee
Registered Broad

3 on 3

Post #1 by HowardBrazee » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:36 am

I'm curious. When both teams are playing 4 on 4 and get matching minors, the team stays at 4 on 4. So what is the procedure for getting the players on the ice when the penalties are over? I would think it would be hard for the referees to make sure people were out of play as someone went off on one side as someone else got on on the other side.
ABasin

Post #2 by ABasin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:40 am

HowardBrazee wrote:I'm curious. When both teams are playing 4 on 4 and get matching minors, the team stays at 4 on 4. So what is the procedure for getting the players on the ice when the penalties are over? I would think it would be hard for the referees to make sure people were out of play as someone went off on one side as someone else got on on the other side.

Howard, if I understand your question correctly, I'm pretty sure it's the same as 5-on-5 matching minors. When the initial penalties end (those that took place to get the game to 4-on-4 in the first place), those guys come out of the box when their penalties end, go straight into the play, and it's again 5-on-5. The guys who got the matching minors while 4-on-4 (2nd set of penalties) and now sitting in the box, need to stay in the box until the next whistle.
VLoo
Has given rep: 86 times
Received rep: 113 times

Post #3 by VLoo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:46 am

ABasin wrote:Howard, if I understand your question correctly, I'm pretty sure it's the same as 5-on-5 matching minors. When the initial penalties end (those that took place to get the game to 4-on-4 in the first place), those guys come out of the box when their penalties end, go straight into the play, and it's again 5-on-5. The guys who got the matching minors while 4-on-4 (2nd set of penalties) and now sitting in the box, need to stay in the box until the next whistle.

Yup. And if the 2nd set of coincidental minors haven't expired by the next whistle, the play returns to 4on4 for the duration of the matching penalties, where upon those penalties expiring they can return immediately to the ice and bring it back to full strength 5on5.

Return to “2001 Stanley Cup Champion Colorado Avalanche”