McDavid Watch

Straight noggin
NHL33
Received rep: 1 time

Post #51 by NHL33 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:53 pm

chewey wrote:I am not sure if you mean he had a career year in faceoffs or a career year in points

Neither. I was talking about him having a career season overall (two-way play).

So, not a career year, in any way, from Stastny.

Sure it is.

Yes and no. Stastny was a playmaker who was always able to cover for his partners defensive lapses, just letting them focus on offense. Iggy is a goal scorer who, and while I don't want to say useless without the puck, is not as effective as Stastny without the puck.

I agree on the first part to an extent, but I think Iginla is a responsible winger. We're going to accord more defensive duties to MacKinnon (as a center) this season, but he's going to grow into it anyway. So think we don't lose too much offensively and aren't too bad defensively...eventually. Maybe.
NHL33

Post #52 by NHL33 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:56 pm

dempsey_k wrote:A bad season is needed for this young team to show they can't ignore advanced stats.

A bad season is only 'needed' if Sakic and Roy have holes for eyes.

Which they might, considering our defensive composition.
Brain of J
Registered Broad

Post #53 by Brain of J » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:39 am

hek wrote:Iginla sure is looking like a huge UFA mistake. Hopefully he gets it going and it's early season jitters along with the rest of the team.

Is a slow start anything new with him, though? It took him 9 games to score a goal last year, and he only had 2 assists in his first 7 games. He's a notoriously slow starter.
NHL33

Post #54 by NHL33 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:26 pm

Lucky you; don't catch any replay.
NHL33

Post #55 by NHL33 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:08 am

hek wrote:That bad?

We've been worse. :>~

Pickard played well for the most part, and that held it close. If we were good at the PP we could make up for our vast shortcomings, but we're not -- because we suck.
NHL33

Post #56 by NHL33 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:57 am

O'Reilly isn't going to be in the plan for too much longer, and by now they won't get much in return for him. Before there were questions about his value given financial uncertainty. With this recent contract, the Avs have managed to knock it out of the park -- he can bolt in 2016 if he's still on the roster, or else the team can settle for a lesser return than if they had either secured him despite their philosophical differences in RFA contracts, OR traded him outright.

Basically it'll be a squandered '14-15 campaign followed by a so-so one perhaps. I'm guessing a similar game as Stastny's will play out and we'll have gone from an embarrassment of riches to still extremely solid but otherwise lacking barring major squad developments (i.e. clone a few more Barries).

Last season we were likely to lose pretty much any playoff series yet had the small but visible wildcard upset factor in any given matchup, as ridiculous as that seemed on paper. However, it took a LOT, including luck, for that to happen.

The positives we can take from all of this is that MacKinnon isn't yet up to par with the beast status that we know he'll eventually come to. Iginla hasn't been great. Landeskog and O'Reilly have been fine but can definitely kick it up a notch. Same for EJ and, hell, everyone besides him and Barrie can't be that bad -- surely one of Hejda, Holden, etc. will help out. AND we're not even 10% of the games through.

...but fuck if I'm not antsy about the O'Reilly situation given how they've royally screwed it up time and time again!!

That's not a good sign. Championship caliber teams don't let valuable parts of their core get away. O'Reilly is definitely a piece of that.
NHL33

Post #57 by NHL33 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:12 pm

Fuck the playoffs. We don't need any of that hipster shit.
chewey
Registered Broad

Post #58 by chewey » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:49 am

I was concerned that the Tank would fail today, but alas this team did not disappoint. McDavid here we come!!
Alex Jones

Post #59 by Alex Jones » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:44 pm

My thoughts on what is going wrong with the season so far.

There are two problems with this team. One is long term, one is short term.

The long term: The defense is slow, immobile, dumb, statue-esque and couldn't pass a grandma on the freeway.

The defense is a major issue, and (even if things were going well) would hamper this team from probably making the playoffs.

The short term: The forwards are sucking dick. They literally don't give a shit. Why are we not working hard to get back in our own zone?? Supposedly our two hardest workers in ROR and Landeskog are playing wing, but they are both MIA when we are trying to get the puck out of our own zone. You would think that a team with known defensive issues...a team that obviously can't move the puck for shit would have forwards coming back hard not only for the backpressure, but to help the defense get the puck out of the fucking zone. So many times against Florida I saw the defensemen trying to play the puck up the boards and the winger wasn't there to help them, they were coasting back for the offensive zone.

Also, way, way, way too many fancy plays and way too much indecision at our own blue line from the forwards. Get it out, regroup, and man the fuck up. The worst thing to do to a slow defense is give away pucks in the neutral zone, because it forces them to either challenge early because they don't have the speed to get back, or back waaaayyyyyy the fuck up so they don't get burned.

The effort is the problem right now. This team can be decent (not great) but decent when people sack up and try harder. Roy may not be perfect, but I generally think his comments on the team are correct. When he called them out for wanting to play an easy game, he was totally right.
Life's like a dice game and I'm in to win.

Alex Jones

Post #60 by Alex Jones » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:47 pm

NHL33 wrote:Fuck the playoffs. We don't need any of that hipster shit.

Just when the oilers thought they were clearly the best team at tanking the Avs reappear to claim the crown.

NHL33

Post #61 by NHL33 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:34 pm

Eddie 7ack

It's good to see Duchene be rewarded statistically. He has, bar none, been the best player this season and has contributed significantly both in offense and defense. I thought MacKinnon would surpass him this season, but that might have been underestimating the transition time required on his part as well as undermining, somehow, Duchene.

Last game was a decent showing. Was more of the Canucks being a horror show that night rather than the Avs being brilliant, but for once the effort was respectable. Still needs considerable improvement all over the ice, but if they can play like that (and better) then they can limit/mask their shortcomings; otherwise we'll only tank hard.
NHL33

Post #62 by NHL33 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:35 pm

hek wrote:If they had kept Stastny I would have predicted MacKinnon passing Duchene for the team lead in points. But now he is the number two center with Stastny gone and has far more responsibility than last year. The point will come again, but it will probably be next year.

Yeah, I agree. He has his moments but Duchene has been polished with years of experience. MacKinnon should get there faster in comparison, but it's too much to expect that in his sophomore season.
Alex Jones

Post #63 by Alex Jones » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:34 pm

It fucking sucks having the expectations dragged out of this season so quickly.

That said, I just want to note how much I'm relishing watching Alex Tanguay play at a high level again. He's 35 and at this point it seems like another significant injury is less of an if than a when question with him. With his age and coming UFA status, I wouldn't be surprised if he just ends his career after when this happens. Enjoy watching him play now folks, because it (literally) might be over tomorrow.

stan:getz

Post #64 by stan:getz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:14 pm

it's goin down

i'm yellin timber
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[CENTER][font="Trebuchet MS"][color="#4169e1"]Do not fuck with me[/color][/font][/CENTER]

Post #65 by stan:getz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:25 pm

I forgot how hot Hilary Knight was
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

[CENTER][font="Trebuchet MS"][color="#4169e1"]Do not fuck with me[/color][/font][/CENTER]

Post #66 by stan:getz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:46 pm

Halfway there, then I can go back to doing homework and working.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

NHL33

Post #67 by NHL33 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:08 pm

Pffft. They're a flawed team, not a bad team. They're only bad if they still suck after the trading deadline.

Plenty of time to right this sinking ship. I believe in our blue line; I believe in our saviors Mark Redmond, Nick Holden and Brad Stuart.
VLoo
Has given rep: 52 times
Received rep: 72 times

Post #68 by VLoo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:39 am

People should file civil suits against Varly more often. Guy was fucking fantastic tonight.
PredsFan77 wrote:Vloo: I forgot to include him in my top ten, but I would encourage him to sleep with any of my exes so that we could say our penises have been in the same space. I'd like that.
chewey
Registered Broad

Post #69 by chewey » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:05 pm

NHL33 wrote:I believe in our blue line; I believe in our saviors Mark Redmond, Nick Holden and Brad Stuart.

NHL33

Post #70 by NHL33 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:50 am

I didn't watch it, but I can safely say that our blue line was the reason for Varlamov's success.
NHL33

Post #71 by NHL33 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:47 pm

S'ok, we'll get Babcock any minute now.
NHL33

Post #72 by NHL33 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:23 am

Babcock and Bowman. Bam. Done.
Alex Jones

Post #73 by Alex Jones » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:06 pm

hek wrote:Looks like Roy is on the Sacco career path. Ride a hot goalie to the playoffs and Jack Adams votes the first year and subsequently look like shit.

Hiring Sakic was a mistake. Outside of drafting MacKinnon and the Tanguay trade I'm not convinced he knows what he's doing.

I still think Roy is a good coach.

There are problems with this team, but I still think Roy has a very strong future in this league. I think his biggest strength has been his ability to admit his mistakes.

For example, Roy brought in Stuart and Briere. A lot of coaches, (including our last one) would insist on playing them as much as possible as a way to validate their personnel choices, especially since we gave up a lot to get these guys. It took about three games for Stuart to head to the third pairing, and about five for Briere to end up with the least ice time on the team. I know things are down right now, but that's a really positive sign that Roy not only understands what is happening, but he won't let his own hubris get in the way of it.

NHL33

Post #74 by NHL33 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:44 am

I don't think Roy's coaching skills are why the team has struggled. I'm neutral to him. He has his strengths and weaknesses, I'm willing to assess him long-term.
Brain of J
Registered Broad

Post #75 by Brain of J » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:27 am

Dennis Everberg was a terrific find.
Alex Jones

Post #76 by Alex Jones » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:53 pm

dempsey_k wrote:I shouldn't have judged him from stats alone.

Somewhere Dater is prepping an article judging him just from his +/-

ABasin

Post #77 by ABasin » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:09 pm

hek wrote:As a fan I want nothing more to like Roy. And to be fair I was being hyperbolic calling him the next Sacco. But, anything can happen once. He needs to prove he can be successful year in and year out. Now to this point in the season it's too early to draw conclusions, but there have been nights it has looked Sacco-esque out there. I guess I'm not going to get my hopes up after a decade of figuratively getting kicked in the balls.

I think Roy is fine. He's getting far more out of so many players than so many past coaches have. And he was open to changing his defensive scheme in the face of it failing. He wasn't a stubborn ass about it, he changed it.

The Avs biggest solvable problems right now, are the play of Landeskog and O'Reilly. They are really bad at even strength, especially Landeskog. Dude looks like a third line wing right now.
NHL33

Post #78 by NHL33 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:38 pm

I've got some bad news for you boys.

We won't be drafting McDavid.
Alex Jones

Post #79 by Alex Jones » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:19 pm

NHL33 wrote:I've got some bad news for you boys.

We won't be drafting McDavid.

Wait till the injuries start coming in.
ABasin

Post #80 by ABasin » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:15 pm

OK people, there be some bad hockey being playing in Denver right now. Almost every player on the roster has regressed from last season (notable exceptions being Tanguay, Barrie, EJ), and some of the regressions are fairly incredible: MacKinnon is lost (after changing position), Landeskog has turned into Ville Nieminen or some other 3rd line banger, and O'Reilly is a joke. Iginla sucks so far also. Just some terrible hockey we're seeing here.

I didn't expect a run like last year, but I certainly didn't expect this.
ABasin

Post #81 by ABasin » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:42 pm

dempsey_k wrote:Yeah honestly we're seeing two extremes here. There has to be some story in the background. I suspect it revolves around Varly in part.

Meaning what? Some girlfriend/abuse thing?

I've watched about 3/4ths of the games so far this season, and I swear the top 2 lines look worse than those of the Sacco years. Everyone talks about Colorado being a fast team, but aside from Duchene and Barrie, I don't see it at all. Even MacKinnon looks much slower than he did last year. Landeskog is skating like me out there - he's been totally rotten, except for the last 3 games or so. In a few games there, he was playing like Brian Willsie.

O'Reilly? Bleh. Hope they get a decent defenseman for him, maybe an added decent prospect.
NHL33

Post #82 by NHL33 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:06 pm

I haven't watched much of the season, so it's hard for me to comment. I've been too busy with work to bother with the NHL overall, unlike past seasons. GameCenter might be a waste of money this time.

None of the players in the extremely limited sample size looked impressive besides Duchene. Barrie, EJ, Varly were about what I'd expect. Landeskog sucked, O'Reilly sucked, Iginla sucked, all the lines looked pedestrian at best with periodic shows of individual effort, but nothing really impressive.

And I concur about MacKinnon, he seemed slower, even when flat out accelerating and not having to think about defensive duties. Still a good skater, obviously, but last season was amazing in comparison, purely skating wise.

Anyway, the franchise is fucked. They had 2 different shots to do it right with O'Reilly and they failed both of them. Severely. He's a core player who doesn't want to be here, and I don't have much faith in the return we'll get. One of my concerns was losing both Stastny and O'Reilly yet here we are.
NHL33

Post #83 by NHL33 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:19 pm

Being 'figured out' is a sports cliche. No team employs genius tactics; what we were doing last season was obvious. Opposition did adjust to it, we had a mediocre 2nd half, but both the hot start and being able to somewhat float by on the center/forward-heavy strategy landed that absurdly high finish.
NHL33

Post #84 by NHL33 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:23 pm

I still can't believe some people shit on me for saying that O'Reilly should be given max term and $5M annually during the first hold out (dunno if he would've accepted either way though).

Alright, trading Duchene for Kulikov wasn't the best idea, but why the fuck were people so risk adverse. Better run organizations have done it for a reason.

Return to “2001 Stanley Cup Champion Colorado Avalanche”