Received rep: 1 time

Post #3 by Zorbane » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:43 pm

Also fuck this game
Vector
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 72 times
Received rep: 43 times

Post #4 by Vector » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:46 pm

So...what changes need to be made? As the team is l put together, they're not winning a championship.
Cao
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 3 times

Post #5 by Cao » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:35 am

They need offense. Team is strong enough defensively (and current minor issues can be worked on) but we need a reliable producer. At least 50-60 points a season.
King Ryan
Registered Broad
Received rep: 2 times

Post #6 by King Ryan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:44 am

They need Daniel Sedin from 2011 or Alex Burrows from 2010
yumphod
Registered Broad

Post #7 by yumphod » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:20 pm

sedins are invisible
:facepalm:
Hooker
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 3 times
Received rep: 5 times

Post #8 by Hooker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:38 pm

Month of December

Henrik Sedin: 2g, 6a, 13 games - one multi-point night
Daniel Sedin: 3g, 7a, 13 games - THREE multi-point nights

That said, there are a grand total of 16 PPG players that have played 20+ games (plus there's Stamkos, with 17 games). Still, it would be nice if the Art Ross Twins could perform at least as well as Taylor fucking Hall.
Hooker
Registered Broad

Post #9 by Hooker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:45 pm

That said, I think constantly changing the Sedins' linemate hurts them. Taylor just-got-put-on-waivers Pyatt hit 37 points twice playing regularly with the Sedins. Anson Carter, Alex Burrows, Mikael Samuelsson (I know his 30-goal season was on-and-off with the twins, but he would stick with them for considerable periods of time), and at the beginning of this season, Ryan Kesler have all produced much better playing with the Sedins regularly. If there's one constant of the Hansen/Bernier/Demitra/Booth/Raymond/Naslund/etc. play them for two-or-three-games-and-then-give-up has proved is that trying someone out with the twins never seems to work out in the short term.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #10 by Cao » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:06 pm

Hansen's good-ish but not great with the Sedins. Kassian's been playing well lately...maybe it's time he finally gets a look with them?
Tripwyre
Registered Broad

Post #11 by Tripwyre » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:54 am

What a terrible game to be at, everyone in the building save for the Lightning looked hungover and listless. The lower bowl was half-empty. I could actually hear Shorty doing play-by-play FROM MY FUCKING SEAT.

The team needs Burrows to come back and be the Burrows he can be, but hasn't been this season. That's about it. You can say they need a scorer, but where would this player go? You probably wouldn't put them with the twins. You shouldn't break up the second line, who, barring their last two games, are the only combination bringing the goods every night. Kassian and Booth have been playing well lately. The third line was good, even in this crap game. With Burrows back, one of Kassian/Booth/Hansen would be a fourth liner, which is incredible depth on the wings.

What they need is better depth on D, because you know the injuries are going to come again. And for Sestito to be in the press box more often than not. Other than that they are a pretty damn good team who've caught some unlucky breaks.
Tripwyre
Registered Broad

Post #12 by Tripwyre » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:55 am

And speaking of the Lightning, who the fuck are they. What a bizarre collection of nobodies, a veritable Who's Who of Who's That?
Hooker
Registered Broad

Post #13 by Hooker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:54 am

Oh, I can help with one of those. Martin St. Louis is a small, dynamic forward who won the Art Ross Trophy last season as the league's highest scoring player, which, at age 37, was the oldest a player has ever accomplished a scoring title in the NHL. He started his career in with the Calgary Flames before quickly being traded to Tampa Bay, where he has remained since, winning one Stanley Cup. He is currently tied for 17th in the league in scoring, placing him ahead of Canadian Olympic team locks of Claude Giroux, Eric Staal, James Neal, Milan Lucic, Jason Spezza, and Mike Richards. For a comparable, see every player that has played an NHL game in the last ten years but went undrafted.
Tripwyre
Registered Broad

Post #14 by Tripwyre » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:06 am

I mean besides him.
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #15 by King Ryan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:00 am

Tripwyre wrote:What a terrible game to be at, everyone in the building save for the Lightning looked hungover and listless. The lower bowl was half-empty. I could actually hear Shorty doing play-by-play FROM MY FUCKING SEAT.

The team needs Burrows to come back and be the Burrows he can be, but hasn't been this season. That's about it. You can say they need a scorer, but where would this player go? You probably wouldn't put them with the twins. You shouldn't break up the second line, who, barring their last two games, are the only combination bringing the goods every night. Kassian and Booth have been playing well lately. The third line was good, even in this crap game. With Burrows back, one of Kassian/Booth/Hansen would be a fourth liner, which is incredible depth on the wings.

What they need is better depth on D, because you know the injuries are going to come again. And for Sestito to be in the press box more often than not. Other than that they are a pretty damn good team who've caught some unlucky breaks.

My top priority would be an offensive defenseman who can run the powerplay and not be embarrassing in the back end. I like Dan Hamhuis and all, but that shit needs to stop.
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #16 by King Ryan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:01 am

Hamhuis has played 106 minutes on the powerplay and has 0 G, 2A. That is crazy balls.
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #17 by King Ryan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:02 am

Martin St. Louis won the Art Ross last year? Really?
Hooker
Registered Broad

Post #18 by Hooker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:13 am

King Ryan wrote:Martin St. Louis won the Art Ross last year? Really?

Martin St. Louis: More productive than Jonathan Toews, less talked about than Patrick Elias.
Zorbane
Registered Broad

Post #19 by Zorbane » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:24 pm

On the topic of power play, Weber needs to be put on the first unit. His ability to get the puck through from the point is amazing.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #20 by Cao » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Zorbane wrote:On the topic of power play, Weber needs to be put on the first unit. His ability to get the puck through from the point is amazing.

Yeah, I can't see how Weber would be a bad option there. He has enough vision to be an Ehrhoff-lite on that powerplay. I remember him being used there recently though, and with his decent play while Edler/Stanton/Alberts have been injured, maybe Torts will reward him.

Tripwyre wrote:What a terrible game to be at, everyone in the building save for the Lightning looked hungover and listless. The lower bowl was half-empty. I could actually hear Shorty doing play-by-play FROM MY FUCKING SEAT.

Good points. Probably up there with the Florida game as one of the worst games this season.

Oddly enough, I think Sestito/Weise/Dalpe have been pretty good as of late.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #21 by Cao » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:42 pm

Cao wrote:Yeah, I can't see how Weber would be a bad option there. He has enough vision to be an Ehrhoff-lite on that powerplay. I remember him being used there recently though, and with his decent play while Edler/Stanton/Alberts have been injured, maybe Torts will reward him.

Good points. Probably up there with the Florida game as one of the worst games this season.

Oddly enough, I think Sestito/Weise/Dalpe have been pretty good as of late.
Hooker
Registered Broad

Post #22 by Hooker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:30 pm

Zorbane wrote:On the topic of power play, Weber needs to be put on the first unit. His ability to get the puck through from the point is amazing.
I haven't caught much of the last few games, but if that's true, that's an Ehrhoff comparable. Ehrhoff didn't have a huge shot and seemed to wrist it in almost half the time, but his shots almost always hit the net and almost always made it to the goaltender. Also, I love Ehrhoff and the Canucks should trade some young crap player like Jensen or Alex Edler to get him back.

EDIT: Make it a three-way deal between Vancouver, Buffalo, and whatever team Raffi Torres is currently on where the Canucks get Ehrhoff and Torres and the other two teams can split up Edler's games like a child of divorced parents.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #23 by Cao » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:39 pm

@botchford: Higgins moved to Pp1. Hamhuis to pp2

LOL
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #24 by King Ryan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:26 pm

That solves everything.
Zorbane
Registered Broad

Post #25 by Zorbane » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:38 pm

The fuck, Higgins has been playing like shit recently
Tripwyre
Registered Broad

Post #26 by Tripwyre » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:59 pm

Yeah, I realize that now is not the perfect time to be ragging on Sestito given the fourth line hasn't been bad lately, and were one of the more noticeable trios in this particular game, but his underlying numbers on the year are still terrible. I don't hate the guy the way some here (and on Twitter) seem to, but I also can't disagree that he is dressed way more often than he should be, and the fourth line would be a more useful, versatile unit with Archibald or Welsh playing in his spot.
Zorbane
Registered Broad

Post #27 by Zorbane » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:12 am

I thought Archibald was really good in his call up

Return to “Forum For People Who Sometimes Watch Hockey”