Press Clippings: Canucks News Not Fit For It's Own Thead 3

Winning in spite of ourselves...
Ironchef Chris Wok
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #251 by Ironchef Chris Wok » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:50 pm

we should re-sign Matthias while trading Richardson and Dorsett for outrageous deadline prices
yumphod
Registered Broad
Received rep: 2 times

Post #252 by yumphod » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:33 pm

or trade matthias for something outrageous
:facepalm:
Killface
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times

Post #253 by Killface » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:59 pm

Yeah, I'd rather trade Matthias and re-sign Richardson. Despite Matthias's strong play lately I still think Richardson is the more versitle and valuable player. Plus Matthias is going to get paid this offseason and will fetch more in a trade.

Re-sign both though if it doesn't cost us too much.
aptar
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 3 times

Post #254 by aptar » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:05 pm

Scoured this image for like 3 mins. No good jokes to be made. Gonna be a long day.
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #255 by aptar » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:15 pm

Vector
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 54 times
Received rep: 33 times

Post #256 by Vector » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:46 pm

Wonderful.
SopelFan wrote:This is up there on his on his list of 40 injuries with the snake bite and the busted nut.
In reference to Salo hurting himself playing whiffleball.
Cao
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 3 times

Post #257 by Cao » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:09 pm

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/the-30-year-old-rookie/

The 30-Year-Old Rookie
MAR 6 2015

RYAN KESLER
CONTRIBUTOR

Let’s call it awkward. It’s part of the business. You tell yourself you’re a grown man and you’re prepared for it. But walking into a locker room for the first time and seeing guys across the room who have punched you in the face before … yeah, it’s a bit awkward.

It’s especially challenging when those guys are Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry. When I was in Vancouver, we were mortal enemies. These were the guys I was trying to troll by any means necessary. Anything to get them off their game. I actually fought Perry twice in the pre-season. The pre-season, man … I can’t even imagine what we were saying to one another to spark a tussle.

To be fair to Getzy, I’m not sure our battle really counts as a fight. He just sort of mushed me into the ice. The guy is a monster.

I wanted a trade out of Vancouver this offseason for several reasons. That’s no disrespect to the fans, my teammates, or Canucks ownership, but I think both sides needed a change. I’ve got three kids at home; I just wanted a more normal life for them away from the rink. Playing in Canada can be a fishbowl not just for players but for families, too. That said, this was really hard. I know you read that all the time, but Vancouver was my home since I was 19. I grew up with Kevin Bieksa, Alex Burrows, and the Sedins. These guys will always be my close friends. One day you wake up and you realize, Wow, I’m really leaving my buddies. It’s weird because I spent all summer preparing for a move, but when I actually got the call from my agent that I was headed to Anaheim, a little bit of anxiety rushed in.

My first thought was: Sunshine. Shorts and flip flops. Nice.

My second thought was: Getzlaf and Perry. Interesting.

Then came a rush of really complicated thoughts: How am I going to tell my 6-year-old daughter that she has to say goodbye to her best friends? What happens with my Canadian bank account? How do those taxes work? Where do I live? How do you even move furniture and stuff?

I had spent my entire career in Vancouver. I probably called my agent 20 times that week with some variation of, “Uh, Kurt, this is really embarrassing, but how do I do [this thing]?”

There are 54 guys who were just moved at the trade deadline, who are going through those same anxieties right now. This is the part in every article where a bunch of people write comments like, “Hey, you guys are millionaires! Just shut up!” Thankfully, I don’t think The Players’ Tribune has a comments section. But hockey players have feelings, too. Or at least our families do.

I remember the moment when it hit me hardest — I had to break the news to my 4-year-old son that we were moving to the U.S. He was born in Canada. It’s all he knows. He loves to sing the national anthem before my games. When I realized that he only knew the words to “O’ Canada,” I got a little choked up.

Thankfully, Americans love a good photobomb, so I think he’s going to do just fine here.

We got settled in Orange County in August, and the Ducks rolled out the red carpet for me. I’ll never forget the feeling of that first day at training camp, though. There I am, a 30-year-old man, and it felt like the first day of school. Everybody knows that I’m a talker. I love to chirp. I love to keep things loose. But that first week, I sat there, getting dressed, not saying a peep.

Getzy, Perry and the rest of the team couldn’t have been more welcoming, but we’re talking 10-plus years of battling against these guys. I’m thinking, I better just shut up and try to absorb how things are done here. Pro-tip for the guys who just got moved at the deadline: Don’t come into the locker room guns blazing. Don’t try to make any jokes the first week. Feel the room out first. Be respectful.

It would be easy to say that everything gelled instantly, and we all became best friends. But any hockey player who’s ever gotten traded will call me on that B. S. right away. That’s not how it works. You have to prove yourself. It takes time to form that bond.

When you’re the new guy, all you want is for the boys to start giving you shit; That’s when it stops being weird. When they’re treating you with kid gloves, it’s the worst feeling. Once you get hit with that first good chirp (in my case, it usually involves my big nose), things feel normal again.

The turning point for me was in late October when we all got together for a team Halloween party at Getzlaf’s house. True to form, I came dressed head-to-toe as a gorilla. (My wife picked it out.) Corey Perry came as a Mountie. We had a Dumb and Dumber combo. Someone was Will Ferrell from Semi-Pro — short shorts and all. It’s one thing to get to know the guys at the rink, but it’s another thing when you’re away from hockey. After a few pops, guys’ personalities start to come out. Playing darts dressed as a gorilla in Getzy’s backyard — that was when it started to feel like I was part of a family.

Fortunately, things have gone really well for us on the ice this season. We’re a big, heavy team who loves to grind, which is perfect for my style. It’s a lot easier to line up on the same side as Getzy and Perry. But I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t strange how it’s all worked out. We were sitting on the team bus on the way to practice the other day, laughing about it. I told them I’d pay so much money to be on that same bus a year ago, to hear all the crazy stuff they were probably saying about me.

We had a good chuckle about the nicknames we used to have for one another — most of which can’t be printed here. My 6-year-old already knows how to Google.

I’ll never forget the day Perry asked me if I wanted to carpool to the rink with him. Never in a million years would I have guessed that we’d be carpool buddies. I’m sure he’d say the same about me. But getting to know him — we’re very similar people. Well, he drives a much nicer car. I still have my old Ford F-150 that I bought with my first real NHL contract.

There we are, two guys who used to beat the hell out of each other, sitting in a beat-up old pickup truck trying to figure out who has the DJ privileges. I won that one, but once I fired up the truck, Perry gives me a funny look. He starts sniffing the air like something’s on fire.

“This thing is rattling,” he says. “You better get the alignment fixed. Actually, get a new car, bud. This is terrible.”

Now that kind of banter is every day. So to all you guys freaking out about getting traded this week — just know that it gets easier. Soon, you’re going to wish the guys would treat you like New Kid again.

Oh, and final pro-tip: Never, ever pose for an underwear photoshoot. It won’t disappear.

now u admitted ur lying ryan

ducks owe us a 2nd round pick now
Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 447 times
Received rep: 596 times

Post #258 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:03 pm

Where do I live? How do you even move furniture and stuff?
Also, let's keep this thread about Galchenyuk's on-ice performance, development and value and NOT bring in his personal life or race.
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #259 by aptar » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:21 pm

Where is Alejandra?
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #260 by King Ryan » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:41 pm

It's weird to me that multi-millionaires have those sorts of problems. Like, you don't move furniture. Ever. You buy new shit at your new place; you can furnish your entire new house with high-end shit and not make a dent in your paycheque. The fuck Ryan.
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #261 by aptar » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:01 pm

So Joe Thornton might be available.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #262 by Cao » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:24 pm

thornton's getting shit on in san jose's market, he's not gonna waive to come to this rabid market

but we would have the cap space for him, if it weren't for a certain goalie
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #263 by aptar » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:43 pm

I'd only want him if they were loading up for one last go, like 2 years ago.
Killface
Registered Broad

Post #264 by Killface » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:31 pm

The lady says, in all seriousness: “The thing that scares me most about moving to Vancouver is the rain. My hair is a big part of my beauty so the fact that I might be moving to an environment that might jeopardize that, it just scares me.”

The lady is Noureen DeWulf, actress and wife to Vancouver Canucks goalie Ryan Miller.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/john-doyle-hockey-wives-is-catnip-to-canadian-tv-viewers/article23502978/

Fuck off. Just send them to San Jose already.
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #265 by Vector » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:53 pm

She's oustanding as Titi in Burning Love. But yeah, both of them seem like massive prima donnas.
SopelFan wrote:This is up there on his on his list of 40 injuries with the snake bite and the busted nut.
VLoo
Has given rep: 71 times
Received rep: 87 times

Post #266 by VLoo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:11 pm

Vector wrote:She's oustanding as Titi in Burning Love. But yeah, both of them seem like massive prima donnas.

The fuck is she doing with Ryan Miller? Guy looks like a kid diddler.
PredsFan77 wrote:Vloo: I forgot to include him in my top ten, but I would encourage him to sleep with any of my exes so that we could say our penises have been in the same space. I'd like that.
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #267 by Vector » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:46 pm

VLoo wrote:The fuck is she doing with Ryan Miller? Guy looks like a kid diddler.

Has a weird slanted face, giant eyeballs, long hair, and a protruding forehead. Parents are probably cousins.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #268 by Cao » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Ryan Miller has an unsymmetrical face, which is funny because he looks like a warped version of his brother Drew, who looks perfectly normal.
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #269 by Vector » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:16 pm

Cao wrote:Ryan Miller has an unsymmetrical face, which is funny because he looks like a warped version of his brother Drew, who looks perfectly normal.

Except for the grey hair.

Cao
Registered Broad

Post #270 by Cao » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:51 pm

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-oilers-worse-nelson/
18. In Vancouver’s first three games against Los Angeles, goals were 12-3 Kings. Shots were 96-54 Kings. Shot attempts were 177-110 Kings. That’s pretty dominant. Last Saturday’s Canucks victory was a complete reversal. A 4-1 win (with two empty-netters), complete with L.A. being outshot 42-26 on goal and 74-61 overall.

The Canucks talked about trying to play differently against a team that believed it could do whatever it wanted against them. Any shot attempt was considered an opportunity to create confusion in L.A.’s game.

They were careful to stay above the Kings on the forecheck, trying to nullify how well the Kings control the boards. (The 1-1 goal was a good example, with Vancouver taking advantage of a bad line change moments after the Kings simply fired it out of their zone following two lost battles.)

And, they were told not to worry about proving their manhood, just finish checks if the opportunity presented itself. They play again April 6. Will this recipe work one more time?
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #271 by aptar » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:53 pm

Killface
Registered Broad

Post #272 by Killface » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:56 pm

God no.

They can offer him a salary below the qualifying offer can't they? It's just that if he rejects it he can become a UFA.
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #273 by aptar » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:16 pm

Killface wrote:God no.

They can offer him a salary below the qualifying offer can't they? It's just that if he rejects it he can become a UFA.

This sounds like a perfect plan.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #274 by Cao » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:52 pm

He's been doing extremely well in Utica. Maybe he did just need a kick in the ass.
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #275 by King Ryan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:13 pm

Killface wrote:God no.

Yeah. I mean, at least it sort of indicates they don't intend to qualify him. It's reasonable to look at offering him say, a 2 year deal at 1M per. If he accepts, you have some cheap depth and he gets some longer term security. If he rejects, no real loss.
Hooker
Registered Broad
Received rep: 5 times

Post #276 by Hooker » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:29 am

On the other hand, I wonder how valuable the cost-benefit analysis is when judging a player. I think the salary cap, things like CapGeek that have resulted from it, the popularity of Moneyball, and the information age trend towards data has created a disproportionate emphasis on how much a player makes. Look at the teams that win Cups in the salary cap era: both LA wins, the second Chicago win, the Detroit win, and I would also say the Boston win were done so with the key players being paid like key players. Additionally, most of the finals losers also had few-if-any drastically underpaid players, including Edmonton, Ottawa, Detroit, Philly, New Jersey, Boston, New York, and, of course, Vancouver - only Pittsburgh sticks out). What those teams seem to share, with the exception of maybe Carolina, Edmonton, Philly, New Jersey, and New York is that they had few-to-zero bad players. If that's a better way of judging successful teams, and if Sbisa really is awful, him at his $2.9 mil qualification or $1 mill "ideal" are both bad contracts. Just let him walk.

Now, that said, Edler has been pretty good this season, so a strong case can be made for stability: when everything changed under Torts, Edler (and many other players) struggled huge, and have only looked like they once did under a more AV-like coach. Again with few exceptions, the finals teams got there with few roster and management changes. Players rarely step into a new team and perform excellent. Sbisa could very well be a much better player next season after spending a season becoming familiar with the Canucks coaching, and that's further backed up by how he's improved over the season.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #277 by Cao » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:53 pm

And Sbisa is an Italian Swiss...
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #278 by King Ryan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:39 pm

King Ryan wrote:Yeah. I mean, at least it sort of indicates they don't intend to qualify him. It's reasonable to look at offering him say, a 2 year deal at 1M per. If he accepts, you have some cheap depth and he gets some longer term security. If he rejects, no real loss.

HAHAHAHAHA.
Killface
Registered Broad

Post #279 by Killface » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:27 pm

Baertschi sent to the AHL.
SbisaSoSassy
Registered Broad

Post #280 by SbisaSoSassy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:15 pm

Why?
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #281 by Cao » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:55 pm

Kassian and Richardson are probably ready to go, and Utica needs Baertschi for the playoffs
Killface
Registered Broad

Post #282 by Killface » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:26 pm

UFA G Matt O'Connor of Boston University will visit EDM and VAN this week, NYR next week. Was in OTT on Sunday. BUF is out. Down to 4 teams.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/590702501067894784

Let's all get our hopes up now so that we can be disappointed in a week.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #283 by Cao » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:05 pm

No idea why they want yet another goalie but okay.
Killface
Registered Broad

Post #284 by Killface » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:31 pm

We need an AHL starter/ 3rd string goalie until Demko is signed. I doubt any of Markstrom, Eriksson and Cannata will be back.

How's Jonathan Iilahti doing?
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #285 by Cao » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:43 pm

I heard he got sued by Brian Burke.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #286 by Cao » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:21 am

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/canucks-luca-sbisa-looks-to-soar-above-the-scorn-and-negativity/article24123412/

Luca Sbisa, the affable Vancouver Canucks defenceman, had spent most of his hockey career in Anaheim, where the game receives fractional attention, before he arrived here last summer as part of the Ryan Kesler trade.

Sbisa, a 25-year-old who grew up in Switzerland, had readied himself for life in a madhouse Canadian market. He avoids reading about himself. He doesn’t turn on TSN. But an occasional public opinion cannot be dodged. Early in the season, Sbisa was waiting for a table at breakfast at a restaurant, having put his name, Luca down, on the list.

The host a few minutes later called out for the next table, “Luca,” and not recognizing Sbisa, the host observed of the name Luca: “That’s the same name as the crappy new defenceman on the Canucks.”

Sbisa, along with his defence partner, 33-year-old Canucks stalwart Kevin Bieksa, has been a lightning rod for fan-and-media criticism all season long and into the playoffs the against Calgary Flames. They are Vancouver’s third defence pairing and, by various on-paper measures and easily observed on the ice, have struggled, in the season and against the Flames.

Their performance, while not the crucial element of whether Vancouver’s season ends Saturday night in Game 6 or this series goes to Game 7 on Monday, will be important. The Canucks rallied at home to avoid an embarrassing ouster in five games – but the upstart Flames do not want to return to Vancouver to settle the series.

The Canucks, most players and the team as a whole, have had their stretches of struggle against Calgary but Sbisa and Bieksa have been at times obviously weak – vulnerable, for instance, to Calgary’s pulsing fore-check. Of Calgary’s seven even-strength goals in the series, Sbisa and Bieksa have both been on for four of them.

For Sbisa, in particular, it extends a theme that was fixed in place even before Vancouver’s season began. In the final preseason game, in the second period against the Edmonton Oilers, Sbisa carried the puck behind his net and whipped a risky outlet pass to the point through the slot. Nail Yakupov intercepted, and scored. “That’s what you call, in the hockey business, a pizza,” Sbisa said afterward.

A local meme was born: pizza delivery. Sbisa, this season playing the most ice time of his career, delivered his fair share of pizzas, miscues that stoked upset among demanding fans and were also gleefully mocked online. The facts bare it out: in the season’s first three months, Sbisa was on the ice for three goals against for every two for, at even-strength. Not good. Never mind that it was the result, in part, of terrible luck, as measured by the advanced statistic PDO.

From Jan. 1 onwards, Sbisa’s luck rebounded and was average through the season’s end. His goals-for percentage jumped to 46 per cent, from 40. Still, in 2014-15, of defenceman who played at least 1,000 minutes of even-strength ice time, Sbisa had been on the ice for the second-most goals against per 60 minutes in the league. Only Edmonton’s 21-year-old Oscar Klefbom was worse.

And so the whipsaw recoil among Vancouver fanatics was no surprise when the team announced in early April a three-year new contract for Sbisa, at an average of $3.6-million (U.S.) a season. Sbisa is in the final season of a four-year deal that paid him about $2.2-million annually.

Many observers were not impressed. “Dumbfounded” and “wasteful” were two of the more restrained Twitter comments. “Kill me,” one Canucks blogger tweeted. Even TSN’s Bob McKenzie sounded critical in a measured way: “It’s a little bit higher than what some people would say is acceptable.”

The Canucks may not have had much choice. With the likes of Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis well past 30, Sbisa in his mid-20s was not a defenceman the Canucks could afford to lose, said team president Trevor Linden in an interview with The Globe and Mail before the playoffs. The contract, too, includes two of Sbisa’s years of unrestricted free agency.

“He’s in that age group we really need,” Linden said. The Canucks see potential and progress. “We want to work with him. He brings a heaviness. He’s going to be a big part of our defence.”

There’s also the idea of team, commitment and trust. “We like him as a person,” Linden said. “You want to show trust in your people.”

And Linden knows Vancouver well, how it can get mean, perhaps unduly or overly critical. A piling on. “In this market, there’s always someone people want to pick on, and I think Luca’s maybe been that guy.”

Ryan Miller, the Canucks starting goaltender who was injured Feb. 22 and returned as starter to win Game 5 and will start Game 6, cites the physical presence of Bieksa, and the less-obvious-but-forceful Sbisa, who is 6-foot-2 and 198 pounds. It’s physical play, said Miller, that’s “brave as a person and as a player.”

“You appreciate those guys,” Miller said on Friday.

Bieksa cited Sbisa’s light-hearted nature: “Loves coming to the rink, loves playing hockey. Just a good, genuine kid.”

For all the criticism during the Calgary series, and the goals against, Sbisa’s play, measured by puck possession, is the average of his team. While the Canucks control puck possession on average against the Flames, it is solely because of the Sedins’s dominance. When the Sedins are off the ice, the Flames slightly lead in puck possession, which is the situation when Sbisa is on the ice.

Sbisa draws lessons from Bieksa, about pushing forward. Don’t dwell on the inevitable pizzas.

“Mistakes happen all the time,” Sbisa said on Friday. “If you make a mistake, you bounce back. Kevin bounces back. He wants the puck, he wants the responsibility.”

ahhahahahahahahah

also looks like bieksssuuuuuhhh is right. they honestly believe they can develop a guy who's been bad for 7 seasons.
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #287 by King Ryan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:09 am

His middle name is Down? That just seems cruel
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #288 by King Ryan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:11 am

“He’s in that age group we really need,” Linden said. The Canucks see potential and progress. “We want to work with him. He brings a heaviness. He’s going to be a big part of our defence.”

There’s also the idea of team, commitment and trust. “We like him as a person,” Linden said. “You want to show trust in your people.”

:facepalm: How much longer until Trevor is our Kevin Lowe. Sigh.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #289 by Cao » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:18 am

Ryan Stanton is also in the age group we need but he doesn't have observable tools.
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #290 by King Ryan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:22 am

As is Weber and he does.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #291 by Cao » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:48 am

Actually, Chris Tanev is also 25.

So Trevor's real dumb.
Hooker
Registered Broad
Received rep: 5 times

Post #292 by Hooker » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:10 am

Cao wrote:Actually, Chris Tanev is also 25.

So Trevor's real dumb.
I don't think calling Sbisa in an "age-group [the Canucks] really need" and that Sbisa's "going to be a big part of our defence" means that they also think Tanev, who they signed for longer, more money, and before signing Sbisa, isn't.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #293 by Cao » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:28 am

Hooker wrote:I don't think calling Sbisa in an "age-group [the Canucks] really need" and that Sbisa's "going to be a big part of our defence" means that they also think Tanev, who they signed for longer, more money, and before signing Sbisa, isn't.

Yes, I am simply adding another player to the "age-group the Canucks really need". We have Stanton, Weber, and Tanev as 25-year olds on this team. Edler is also only 28. That's 3 or 4 guys in their 20s who provide more than Sbisa.

It's just bizarre reasoning.
Ironchef Chris Wok
Registered Broad

Post #294 by Ironchef Chris Wok » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:45 pm

19nazzy wrote:Everything good management has said about him that I've read has nothing to do with his playing abilities, just his size and character.

If he was such a good guy, why would he hide his Italianess behind a Swiss citizenship?
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #295 by Vector » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:03 pm

Edler is 29.

Return to “Forum For People Who Sometimes Watch Hockey”