Winning in spite of ourselves...
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 511 times
Received rep: 282 times

Re: Post post-season thread

Post #501 by vf » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:08 pm

Vector wrote:
Craig wrote:Honest question: Are the Canucks without the Sedins pretty much the Sabres?

Worse because the Sabres have actual prospects and young players that are worth something. Canucks have maybe 5 good prospects that are expected to play a significant role in 5 years.

So you're the Sabres from 5 years ago?
Vector
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 72 times
Received rep: 43 times

Post #502 by Vector » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:21 pm

vf wrote:
Vector wrote:
Craig wrote:Honest question: Are the Canucks without the Sedins pretty much the Sabres?

Worse because the Sabres have actual prospects and young players that are worth something. Canucks have maybe 5 good prospects that are expected to play a significant role in 5 years.

So you're the Sabres from 5 years ago?

Ryan Miller is our goalie, so quite literally yes.
19nazzy
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 27 times
Received rep: 14 times

Post #503 by 19nazzy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:29 pm

Man, the MLBAM/NHL news yesterday has me bummed. I'm legit more excited about this season than I have been since the cup run, I was probably going to end up doing hockeystreams but the MLB has been really strict with unauthorized baseball clips/streams. I'm guessing hockeystream is dunzos.
aptar
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 3 times
Received rep: 1 time

Post #504 by aptar » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:58 pm

Vector
Registered Broad

Post #505 by Vector » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:09 pm

You know it's bad when Bleacher Report is unabashedly bashing you.
Killface
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times

Post #506 by Killface » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:15 pm

Vector wrote:Ryan Miller is our goalie, so quite literally yes.

I'm looking forward to us signing Ehrhoff to a retirement contact next summer.
Cao
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 3 times

Post #507 by Cao » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:42 pm

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=776306
Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks President of Hockey Operations, Trevor Linden named John Weisbrod Assistant General Manager today in addition to a number of new and enhanced roles to the Hockey Operations and Human Performance staff.

Weisbrod first joined the Canucks as Vice President, Player Personnel on July 7, 2014. As Assistant General Manager, he will work closely with Jim Benning and Trevor Linden on player personnel decisions, provide strategic direction to the professional and amateur scouting departments and support day-to-day team operations.

Weisbrod served three years as Assistant General Manager of Player Personnel with the Calgary Flames. He was Director of Professional and Collegiate Scouting for the Boston Bruins from 2006 to 2011 and served as a Pro Scout for the Dallas Stars during the 2005-06 season.

A Harvard graduate, Weisbrod was General Manager and Director of Operations for the Albany River Rats winning the Calder Cup in 1993 and 1995. He also served as General Manager of the IHL’s Orlando Solar Bears where he guided the team to a Turner Cup Championship in 2001. Weisbrod was named President and Chief Operating Officer of RDV Sports (Orlando Magic & Solar Bears) in 2000 and became General Manager of the Magic in 2004.

The Hockey Operations department also named Chris Gear Vice President and General Counsel, Vancouver Canucks and Canucks Sports & Entertainment (CS&E). Judd Brackett was named Director of Amateur Scouting, Ryan Johnson was named Assistant Director Player Development and Mike Addesa joins the club as an Amateur Scout. The Human Performance department named Rick Celebrini Director, Rehabilitation and Jon Sanderson as Head Athletic Therapist.

Chris Gear assumes an additional role at CS&E, joining the Hockey Operations team with five years’ experience as Vice President & Legal Counsel. He will work closely with Jonathan Wall, Director of Hockey Operations & Analytics on the legal application of the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement, salary cap management, player transactions and contracts.

Judd Bracket served seven years as an Amateur Scout in the Canucks organization prior to being named Director of Amateur Scouting. Brackett will oversee the Amateur Scouting staff, leading the department and supporting the player evaluations of regional scouts. Brackett will report to John Weisbrod in his new role.

Ryan Johnson takes on an expanded role as Assistant Director Player Development after two seasons as Player Development Consultant. Johnson played 120 games in a Canucks uniform and 701 career NHL games. He will continue to work with prospects and AHL players in Utica, supporting Head Coach Travis Green and liaise with General Manager, Jim Benning and John Weisbrod on Comets hockey operations.

Mike Addesa joins the Canucks as an amateur scout with prior experience as a NHL Scout, NCAA Head Coach and Atlantic Junior Hockey League franchise owner. As Head Coach at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Addesa guided the 1984-85 team to a NCAA Championship. Addesa will report to Stan Smyl, Senior Advisor to the General Manager & Director, Player Development. Addesa will support amateur scouting in the Quebec region.

Rick Celebrini was recently named Director, Rehabilitation within the club’s Human Performance department after serving as a consultant during the 2014.15 season. Celebrini will oversee medical, therapy and rehabilitation protocols reporting to T.C. Carling, Vice President, Hockey Administration, who oversees the Human Performance department. Celebrini is a founder and the Director of Sport Medicine and Science for the Fortius Institute, and Head of Sports Medicine and Science for the Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

Jon Sanderson was named Head Athletic Therapist of the Human Performance department, bringing 16 seasons and over 1,000 NHL games of experience to the role. Sanderson previously worked for the B.C. Lions of the Canadian Football League and served as a member of the Team Canada medical staff at the Winter Olympic Games in 2006.

http://www.withoutapeer.com/2012/12/wha ... emper.html

Addesa, as was his usual, sought to get his team fired up. Never one to mince words, he certainly went more than a bit too far in this instance, lumping Townshend in with the rest of the team to try to evince the "us vs. him" mentality that he was famous for as RPI's bench boss. Townshend recalled Addesa saying, "What I saw between you and [Coles] really made me sick to my stomach. If you don't stop acting like a n*****, I'll start treating you like one."

Townshend later confronted Addesa in private, asking him not to use the word around him any more, but Townshend recalled Addesa reasserting himself in that conversation. Eventually, word got out of the locker room about the incident, the newspapers caught wind, and a major controversy was underway.

Uh oh, Jordan Subban's not gonna have support from that guy.
Jyrki21
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 7 times
Received rep: 57 times

Post #508 by Jyrki21 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:51 am

Isn't "JuniorNelson" one of the most negative guys around, including when the team was the best in the league? What the hell?
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #509 by aptar » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:19 am

I get a kick out of the 'Still too early to judge' crowd. Benning has been extremely active. There's a larger sample size than most GMs who have had 2 offseasons, and very few of them have been 'wait and see' transactions because he's made it clear he has no genuine interest in acquiring futures. Between trades and signings, he's probably batting around .200 and we're all realizing how spoiled we were with the last regime, where if 1 in 5 moves was blatantly bad, they were obsessed over.
King Ryan
Registered Broad
Received rep: 2 times

Post #510 by King Ryan » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:08 am

it's 11-11-15-119 now. And doesn't even include us. Ha.
Jyrki21
Registered Broad

Post #511 by Jyrki21 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:51 pm

It's kind of silly to see the pro-Benning mental giants trying to skewer MS on Canucks HF right now as some kind of extremist. He is, in my opinion, the single-best poster on the site.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #512 by Cao » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:42 pm

Jyrki21 wrote:It's kind of silly to see the pro-Benning mental giants trying to skewer MS on Canucks HF right now as some kind of extremist. He is, in my opinion, the single-best poster on the site.

I just read a bunch of MS posts. I had forgotten most of the dumb things the Canucks did. Now I'm depressed.
Jyrki21
Registered Broad

Post #513 by Jyrki21 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:44 pm

Cao wrote:
Jyrki21 wrote:It's kind of silly to see the pro-Benning mental giants trying to skewer MS on Canucks HF right now as some kind of extremist. He is, in my opinion, the single-best poster on the site.

I just read a bunch of MS posts. I had forgotten most of the dumb things the Canucks did. Now I'm depressed.

Happy Tuesday!

If it makes you feel any better, we're sleep-training our near 2-year old and I basically don't sleep anymore. I'll take hockey-depression over that any day.

:why:
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #514 by aptar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:27 pm

If it makes you feel any better my wife is in labour and I just ordered all the nurses out of the room because they had dissenting opinions and I know better.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #515 by Cao » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:59 pm

Jyrki21 wrote:
Cao wrote:

Happy Tuesday!

If it makes you feel any better, we're sleep-training our near 2-year old and I basically don't sleep anymore. I'll take hockey-depression over that any day.

it sounds like your waking hours are therefore filled with hockey depression, so yes, that absolutely makes me feel better.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #516 by Cao » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:59 pm

aptar wrote:If it makes you feel any better my wife is in labour and I just ordered all the nurses out of the room because they had dissenting opinions and I know better.

congrats aptar

hope u name ur kid jim
19nazzy
Registered Broad

Post #517 by 19nazzy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:27 pm

Jyrki21 wrote:
Cao wrote:

Happy Tuesday!

Out of curiosity, what are you doing? (I also thought you start sleep-training before then).

And if it makes you feel any better, I cut my kid while trying to cut her nails and it's the worst I've felt in a long time.
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #518 by King Ryan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:58 pm

78 people have voted non-potato and I don't think there is a single respectable poster among them.
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #519 by Vector » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:12 am

That's 78 people that shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.
Jyrki21
Registered Broad

Post #520 by Jyrki21 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:15 pm

19nazzy wrote:Out of curiosity, what are you doing? (I also thought you start sleep-training before then).

Yeah, ideally you start younger, but because we have been so sleep-deprived since his birth (he also has a sister 3 years older, who was quite trainable in her day) we generally cheated and brought him into bed to nurse when he'd wake up each early-early-morning.

We've hired a sleep coach (and they have toddler programs too) because nothing we ever tried worked with him, and so far he has even her mind boggled. We've done the move-the-chair-back-every-night thing (although getting him down isn't generally the problem -- it's having him sleep through the night), and moved on to 5-10-15 visit intervals, but he will simply just stand there and scream for several hours rather than think, "Hey, maybe I should lie down and go the fuck to sleep." Since his big sister seems to be sleeping through it, we might have to go full-on "cry it out". At his age it'll do less damage, I expect. There are only so many more nights of 2-3 hours of sleep I can take... it's not like he's a newborn.
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #521 by aptar » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:42 pm

Have you tried crate training?
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #522 by Cao » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:46 pm

linden was on tsn radio for like two hours today and gave a lot of non-answers and also got destroyed. he's so dumb lol

Recap of Linden on TSN 1040:

- Jonathan Wall will take over Gilman's duties.

- When Trev got here he really felt like he wanted to improve the "Human Performance" aspect of the team. This is part of why Mike Burnstein was let go... although it seems like it wasn't the whole story. Trev said it was an extremely difficult conversation when he let Mike Burnstein go.

- Rick Celebrini is kind of the new physio/doctor/trainer guy. Not a Burnstein replacement.. Celebrini had job offers from the NY Knicks and many, many other pro sports franchises. Has been working with Demko, Cassels, Dorsett among others this summer.

- Says we need to continue to integrate young players. Mentions Kenins, Vey, Horvat, Baertschi, Corrado, and "possibly Virtanen."

- Ryan Johnson will be a key guy for developing young players in Utica going forward.

- Says amateur scouting is the "lifeblood" of this organization. That is the priority. Linden and Benning really believe in Judd Brackett... They hired him because they thought he was the best even though his resume maybe wasn't as great as some others.

When Sekeres asked, "Why not rebuild now?"

- Trev says it's not realistic.... Says we can't integrate young players all at once. Wants Henrik and Daniel there to lead the young guns as they gradually join the Canucks and says they're amazing mentors for the kids: Mentions Cassels, Demko, Virtanen, Hutton, Boeser, McCann and a couple others.

Sekeres asked Trev about the Sedins comments in a Swedish newspaper stating that they believe they have one more shot at a Cup and it won't be for at least a few years...:

- Trev says you never know what can happen. Says we surprised a lot of people last season and we don't know which young players could develop more quickly than we thought.

On Jake Virtanen needing get in better shape to make the team:

- Says JV has worked very hard this summer... Says players like JV often can get by because they are so talented/athletic up until the NHL level... He has been "maturing" this offseason... Thursday afternoons they do Grouse Grind sessions (JV, Trev, Baertschi, Pedan).

On Hamhuis and Vrbata needing to be re-singed or traded:

- Trev says he absolutely agrees... Then kind of just dodged the question and talked about them as players after that.

- Says Vrbata will start the season next to Sutter or Horvat.

When they opened the phone lines:

- Trev says he's not sure if there will ever be Johnny Canuck jersey.

- Trev says he has lots of respect for Henning, Gilman, Crawford... Blah blah blah direction blah blah blah tough decision blah blah blah who cares.

- "Why Markstrom over Lack?" - Says pick 66 (Gilliam Breesbwah) is basically a 2nd rounder. Says Markstrom's development this past season made them not want to part ways with Markstrom. Says Brisbois looked great at development camp.

- Caller says you need #1 D man and #1 C to win Cup and only way to do that is getting a top 5 pick... asks why they went all out for Lucic rather than Hamilton: Trev says they didn't have assets to get Hamilton (14th overall or better/also didnt have a 2nd let alone 2 2nd's) Says other teams thought they had better offers for Hamilton than CGY's offer. - Says they weren't close to getting Lucic/did not go all out for him... doesn't answer the #1C/#1D other than to say that Boston won the Cup without a true 1C.

- Asked if his perception on the fan base has changed: Says "the amount of criticism has been interesting." and he's "not sure why." Because he says he thought we had a very successful year overall.

- Season ticket holder calls to "clarify frustration" from the fanbase - Says he feels team only cares about playoff revenue rather than actually building a SC competitor... Callers aks: "Why do we think we can build differently?" (without a top 5 pick) than all the other recent SC winners... Trev says it's "not realistic" and "not possible."

- Says John Wiesbrod is excellent and it's not fair to look at one situation where he made a mistake (ROR situation)... Says Benning trusts him and that he did "great work in Boston." and is a huge reason Calgary is where they're at now.

- Caller asks what the Canucks see in Luca Sbisa - Also asks what type of team they're trying to build (skill vs. toughnes) - Trev says Sbisa made a bad mistake in preaseason and people couldn't forget about it (WTF??) says Sbisa is very young and has big upside.... Says he played great when other guys were hurt. Feels "very comfortable" with his contract and would sign it again today - Acknowledged how poorly he and Bieksa were against Calgary.

- 2nd question "2 way C's and striaght line power forwards?" -> Callers words. - Trev says there are various places that need to be in place. Need a team that can play any sort of style. Seems to suggest that it's not "Boston Model." or "LA Model." or "Chicago Model." Says we just need to build an all around 200 foot team.

- Trev says "the most important thing for us is the NHL entry draft."

- Sekeres asks him why they chose Boeser over a C or D man - basically said they thought he was the best player available (duh - good question sekers :laugh:).

- Trev said moving up to get Barzal or someone else would've cost too much (draft picks + young assets) and they weren't willing to do that... Did not call anyone on Barzal... says they liked Barzal but he is not a big C.

- Caller asked if they have thought about bringing guys in on a PTO tryout (Gelencross, Santorelli, etc.) Trev says no... They want to integrate young players.

Texts:

- "Sutter now the highest paid forward of all time to never have 40 pts... Explain." - Trev says he has upside and was playing behind two amazing players.. says he brings INTAGIBLES!!!! And that he is tracking well and they feel "very strongly" about what he's going to bring. Compared him to Soderberg and Anisimov. "Character" "Approach to the game."

- "What is the culture we're trying to build here? I think the fans aren't sure." - Trev: "We want to be a lunch-box team." (lol yes he said that)... Says culture is about the people you bring in... Mentioned Derek Dorsett and the Sedins as guys who embody the culture they're trying to build. When young players come into a good environment like they're trying to build and that's how you create a winning team.

- Sekers asks him to elaborate on "lunch-box" comment: Trev says it's not about bringing in talent less players.. It's about have guys who's foundation is humility and hard work... Guys who show up in the tough games/tough moments.

- Texter says Jensen/Shinkaruk/Baertschi are all very similar... What do we do with them? Trev says Jensen had a really tough year and Trev talked with him... Says you can't come in and just expect to score. You must be a 2 way player and be able to contribute in multiple ways. Says Shinkaruk has to be put in a scoring role... Says Baertschi sees the ice very well and will likely be in a scoring role as well.

- Then I texted in (WOO HOO): "How will you guys use the $15mil in cap space we could have next summer" - Says you can't build through free agency... Says there is "some cap flexibility in the next few years and we'll see where that leads us" - Didn't really answer my question...

- "What was the deal offered to Benning for Miller and why didn't they trade him instead?" - Says they "needed a veteran presence in goal"... Says Miller will have a better year this year. Wanted a guy who has been there.

- Asked if Utica will ever be moved to lower Mainland: Doesnt answer it directly but it seems like they're staying put.

- Asked if Benning is willing to move vets at the TDL to accumulate assets for future: Says Jim has shown the ability to make difficult decisions and do whats right for fans and the team... We'll do whatever it takes to make our team better. (Dafuk is this answer???)

- Caller asks if bringing in Sutter changes their plans for Cole Cassels: Trev says it won't effect Cassels at all. Says Cole will be in the AHL working with Travis Green and that'll be great for him. Says when he's ready to be in the NHL he'll be here.

Most interesting part IMO:

- Asked AGAIN why we can't accumulate picks/top 5 picks to build for future: Trev gets a bit pissed at this point... Says the exact same thing ("It's not possible...etc..") Sekers REALLY pushes Trev here...

Trev gets pretty upset IMO. Trev says "It's not possible." Sekeres butts in and says "It IS possible, it has been done before!" mentions the Kings, Hawks, and other who have built winners that way.... Sekeres says (paraphrasing) "You may not think it's possible right now, but it is possible and has been done before." Trev is flustered at this point and just says that they must integrate young players while staying competitive and that fans say they want that type of rebuild but will not support it when the time comes.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #523 by Cao » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:47 pm

if u wanna give trev a piece of mind, head on up to the grouse grind like right now!!
19nazzy
Registered Broad

Post #524 by 19nazzy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:21 am

At this point I don't know whether they actually believe what they're saying or it's all PR. If it's the former, this team is in serious trouble. With all the signings of guys who are poor players but are great 'character' guys, I have a feeling they do believe it.
yumphod
Registered Broad

Post #525 by yumphod » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:31 am

sounds like linden got wrecked. way over his head. so sick how aquilini had tom brady meet the players when they were in boston...that was probably the smartest decision of 2015....
Jyrki21
Registered Broad

Post #526 by Jyrki21 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:39 am

19nazzy wrote:At this point I don't know whether they actually believe what they're saying or it's all PR. If it's the former, this team is in serious trouble. With all the signings of guys who are poor players but are great 'character' guys, I have a feeling they do believe it.

I think Benning is 100% ideologically behind his stated vision, because I don't think he's smart enough to be cunning or strategic.

I think Linden is probably a bit more agnostic, but loyal, and therefore will spin whatever management does.

I think Willie just wants to stay in the NHL, so he does what he's told and probably convinces himself it's for the best.
Killface
Registered Broad

Post #527 by Killface » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:06 pm

How quickly does Miller get booed at home this season?

As soon as he steps on the ice?

First goal against?

First time getting pulled?

A hope it's a) and he just quits on the team.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #528 by Cao » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:40 pm

re:markstrom, i love how they said they saw how well he played in the AHL and didn't want to lose him. so basically they kicked their NHL goalie to the curb for an AHL goalie. it's like hfboards mentality where prospects are better than picks, except worse because markstrom isn't a prospect and also nobody on hfboards would've bled value like they did in every single trade. #realgoodtake
Jyrki21
Registered Broad

Post #529 by Jyrki21 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:45 pm

There will no doubt be a smattering of boos when Miller's name is announced for the starting lineup of the first home game (I mean we saw what happened at the summer summit), but that won't be all that memorable. Apart from that, I'd say a few more at the first noticeably bad goal, and then yeah, definitely the first time he gets pulled at home.
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #530 by aptar » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:48 pm

It's pretty obvious from Linden's frustration around the 'R' word that the mandate he's been given is to do this middling youth injection 'on the fly' so yeah, it's not possible because ownership won't permit it. I think they really have no feel for the pulse in the city, though, and they should be more concerned about regular season revenue than playoff revenue at this stage. A lunch bucket crew with no future is going to leave a lot of empty seats. A proper rebuild would be much better supported than a group of perma-middlers. But they clearly can't read the city, hence the Lack decision.
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #531 by aptar » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:51 pm

Jyrki21 wrote:There will no doubt be a smattering of boos when Miller's name is announced for the starting lineup of the first home game (I mean we saw what happened at the summer summit), but that won't be all that memorable. Apart from that, I'd say a few more at the first noticeably bad goal, and then yeah, definitely the first time he gets pulled at home.

I think the potential is there for it go get reaaaaaaally ugly if he struggles at all.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 33 times
Received rep: 284 times

Post #532 by mooseOAK » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:20 pm

Ryan Miller is a good goalie. I don't get you guys at all.

I hear all the stuff about how they didn't get enough for Lack but maybe he just wasn't held in as high regard around the league as he is in Vancouver.
Killface
Registered Broad

Post #533 by Killface » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:18 pm

mooseOAK wrote:Ryan Miller is a good goalie. I don't get you guys at all.

I hear all the stuff about how they didn't get enough for Lack but maybe he just wasn't held in as high regard around the league as he is in Vancouver.

I don't really care how good he was in Buffalo in 2009. He's washed up.

He was well below average for us in the regular season and that was with him cherry picking the easy starts. Then he took over for Lack in the playoffs and was straight up awful. Not really $18 million dollars well spent.
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #534 by aptar » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:38 pm

Lack is statistically a better goalie. Pretty much any way you slice it up, he comes out on top or it's razor thing. Then he's, uhh, younger, cheaper, more marketable, all the reasons an intelligent GM moves the other goaltender in a cap environment and why everyone assumed that wasn't a possibility (and was horrified to hear it was).

I think we're at the point where we an assume Benning can't get value in any trade, and was likely played on the Lack front, too. Carolina probably told him he'd only be a backup, so Benning adjusted his expectations accordingly. I won't be shocked if he plays more than 40.
Hooker
Registered Broad
Received rep: 5 times

Post #535 by Hooker » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:07 pm

Jyrki21 wrote:There will no doubt be a smattering of boos when Miller's name is announced for the starting lineup of the first home game (I mean we saw what happened at the summer summit), but that won't be all that memorable. Apart from that, I'd say a few more at the first noticeably bad goal, and then yeah, definitely the first time he gets pulled at home.

He's going to get pulled every game so that Markstrom can play an even number of minutes.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #536 by Cao » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:56 am

this is like benning's exact thought process lol
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #537 by King Ryan » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:51 am

So maybe you hold onto him then instead of dealing him in favor of the 35 year old with the .911 save% last year despite half his games played against bottom-feeders.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad

Post #538 by mooseOAK » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:53 pm

King Ryan wrote:

So maybe you hold onto him then instead of dealing him in favor of the 35 year old with the .911 save% last year despite half his games played against bottom-feeders.

Then they lose either him or Markstrom on waivers.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad

Post #539 by mooseOAK » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:55 pm

Cao wrote:

His job is to make the playoffs from all the evidence and they don't make it last season without Miller.
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #540 by King Ryan » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:23 pm

mooseOAK wrote:
Cao wrote:

His job is to make the playoffs from all the evidence and they don't make it last season without Miller.

"...getting injured." Correct.
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #541 by King Ryan » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:37 pm

The most important thing that happened last year was Miller getting hurt and lack carrying us to the playoffs.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #542 by Cao » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:32 pm

ryan miller was a hindrance to making the playoffs if anything

he's an absolute sieve if he's not in his "rhythm" and he usually isn't
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #543 by aptar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:54 am

You're trying to force fit a "Canucks fans are stupid lol" narrative into the situation, but it's abundantly clear they mishandled it. And Markstrom didn't show anything new last year that he didn't all the years before. If he can't conquer his NHL challenges, it'll be just another example of scout Jim misjudging a young player.
Jyrki21
Registered Broad

Post #544 by Jyrki21 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:52 am

mooseOAK wrote:His job is to make the playoffs from all the evidence and they don't make it last season without Miller.

Well yeah, but that's because they would have played like 50 games with an empty net.
Hooker
Registered Broad
Received rep: 5 times

Post #545 by Hooker » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:04 pm

Jyrki21 wrote:
mooseOAK wrote:His job is to make the playoffs from all the evidence and they don't make it last season without Miller.

Well yeah, but that's because they would have played like 50 games with an empty net.

I wonder...
Jyrki21
Registered Broad

Post #546 by Jyrki21 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:31 pm

carolinacanuck wrote:the sedins have been great, they've never been my favorite players but they've done lots for this city and will have their jerseys retired in no time.

with that being said...i need them gone.

they'll probably be great mentors for the youth coming up, but 15 years is enough.

i cringe at the thought of having to watch them for three more years.

awesome players, i just need a change.

Man, I just hate watching awesome players who play the game intelligently because I've seen it before.

Messi, how many times you gonna do that? Retire, already!
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #547 by aptar » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:53 pm

I hate watching 2 of the most dynamic players with some of the best highlights in NHL history play. Dump it in already, guys.

One of my biggest pet peeves is how the Canucks and NHL never really figured out how to market them. They did that brief Swedish Twins bit and now Canucks are having fun with a twin vs twin competition, but people generally don't appreciate that elite players in a professional sport who are also twins and all around all class, awesome dudes is a PRETTY FUCKING AMAZING THING and a league worth 2 shits would be milking that every chance they got.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #548 by Cao » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:02 pm

aptar wrote:I hate watching 2 of the most dynamic players with some of the best highlights in NHL history play. Dump it in already, guys.

One of my biggest pet peeves is how the Canucks and NHL never really figured out how to market them. They did that brief Swedish Twins bit and now Canucks are having fun with a twin vs twin competition, but people generally don't appreciate that elite players in a professional sport who are also twins and all around all class, awesome dudes is a PRETTY FUCKING AMAZING THING and a league worth 2 shits would be milking that every chance they got.

yeah but they're ginger and look weird and are not north american. nhl would rather market two canadian brosephs in benn and seguin lol
mooseOAK
Registered Broad

Post #549 by mooseOAK » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:40 pm

aptar wrote:You're trying to force fit a "Canucks fans are stupid lol" narrative into the situation, but it's abundantly clear they mishandled it. And Markstrom didn't show anything new last year that he didn't all the years before. If he can't conquer his NHL challenges, it'll be just another example of scout Jim misjudging a young player.

That wasn't my intention. Markstrom had his best pro season last year and he is just approaching the age where NHL goalies typically start to get it. I did have to stop listening to 1040 because the non-stop complaining about the goalie situation when I think that it will be strength for the Canucks.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #550 by Cao » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:54 pm

Are you sure you're not Jim Benning?

Return to “Forum For People Who Sometimes Watch Hockey”