Post post-season thread

Winning in spite of ourselves...
Jyrki21
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 7 times
Received rep: 57 times

Re: Post post-season thread

Post #551 by Jyrki21 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:38 pm

aptar wrote:I hate watching 2 of the most dynamic players with some of the best highlights in NHL history play. Dump it in already, guys.

It's so dizzying when they do smart anticipatory stuff and tic-tac-toe plays, it confuses me as a viewer and makes my eyes hurt. Let's just have a simple "north south" power game, with lots of sneering and scowling. Scowling is important, because it means good leadership. And as we all know, leaders win, even though every team has leadership and only half of them win at a time.

Cao wrote:Are you sure you're not Jim Benning?

"When you got up to go to the bathroom this morning, did you piss away a fifth rounder? 'Cause if you did, you might be Jim Benning..."
aptar
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 3 times
Received rep: 1 time

Post #552 by aptar » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:03 pm

mooseOAK wrote:
aptar wrote:You're trying to force fit a "Canucks fans are stupid lol" narrative into the situation, but it's abundantly clear they mishandled it. And Markstrom didn't show anything new last year that he didn't all the years before. If he can't conquer his NHL challenges, it'll be just another example of scout Jim misjudging a young player.

That wasn't my intention. Markstrom had his best pro season last year and he is just approaching the age where NHL goalies typically start to get it. I did have to stop listening to 1040 because the non-stop complaining about the goalie situation when I think that it will be strength for the Canucks.

Honestly, we've been pretty spoiled with elite level goaltending for so long that it's hard to have perspective. But Miller is old, fading fast and grossly overpaid based on reputation, so unless Markstrom takes an enormous leap, its difficult to think having the 20-25th best goaltender in the league is a big strength.
Hooker
Registered Broad
Received rep: 5 times

Post #553 by Hooker » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:21 am

aptar wrote:I hate watching 2 of the most dynamic players with some of the best highlights in NHL history play. Dump it in already, guys.

One of my biggest pet peeves is how the Canucks and NHL never really figured out how to market them. They did that brief Swedish Twins bit and now Canucks are having fun with a twin vs twin competition, but people generally don't appreciate that elite players in a professional sport who are also twins and all around all class, awesome dudes is a PRETTY FUCKING AMAZING THING and a league worth 2 shits would be milking that every chance they got.

Trading the Sedins is obviously stupid, but I can understand why people can't stand them. They never look dangerous when they have possession. Every other scoring play around the league is about taking the puck off the boards and driving the net. When the Sedins hem themselves against the boards and wind up producing a goal, then great. But if they hem themselves in and (eventually) lose possession of the puck, it's easy to look at that and think they didn't produce any chances on that shift. It's wrong, but they produce by doing the opposite of what every other player does to produce.
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #554 by King Ryan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:47 pm

Yes. Their style is basically rope-a-dope, and they hardly ever deviate from that. It can be frustrating when Canucks are down by one goal with a minute left and the Sedins are in the corner. You're tempted to think that they aren't "acting with urgency" but of course they are just playing their game and the next thing you know, a defender will fuck up and someone will be wide open in the slot for a one-timer.
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #555 by aptar » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:08 am

It seems the latest straw being grasped at by Benningtown victims is that he at least nailed the Tanev situation by signing him to a "show me" contract first. Bullshit. If super scout had watched one fucking game or had any awareness of anything that happened to this team before he was hired, he'd know a) Tanev was legit and b) he'd already been signed to a "show me" contract.

After another solid year, the only reasonable conclusion should be that he could have been signed for less if he was being taken seriously earlier.
vancityluongo
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time

Post #556 by vancityluongo » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:39 pm

This is already getting deleted over there so posting here to keep it alive:

capita wrote:Hi guys,

I was just at a family event and had a chance to speak with Laurence Gilman for a few minutes. Here are my takeaways:

- Confirmed that the Aquilinis spoke to and influenced the decisions of the Gillis management group following the 2011 cup final.

-Confirmed that this same message to become bigger tougher and harder to play against was reiterated to Benning upon his hire, however Gilman noted the roster as it stands now is entirely Benning's, with no Aquilini interference since they hired him.

- Major difference between Gillis regime and Benning regime is decision making. Gillis allowed for collaboration among the scouts and A. GMs in making decisions, whereas Benning is more "autocratic" according to Gilman. Benning simply does what he feels is right and does not accept feedback well. He targets his guys in the draft and in trades and goes to get them by whatever means necessary. This has likely led to the overpayments in trades and contracts that we have seen thus far. I gathered that all major decisions have been entirely bennings, with little input from Linden, Weisbrod or others.

- Not a fan of the contracts Benning has signed, but said others in the org really haven't had a say in the matter. Benning just wanted to sign his guys by any means necessary and felt players like Dorsett, Sbisa and Sutter are worth more than the rest of the organization thinks they are worth. Made a point of bringing up how old and overpaid our 4th line is, without me mentioning anything. Also said Sbisa is a "6th or 7th defenseman" being paid like a top 4 and said Sutter is being paid 2nd line money but will not produce 2nd line numbers.

- Said Sutter was brought in as a matchup guy to fill the defensive void left by Kesler, but not the offensive void. Gilman said the Canucks are hoping Horvat can step into a 2nd line role after his performance toward the end of the regular season and playoffs and combine with Sutter to make up the offensive depth down the middle. He agreed with me when I said Horvat was our 2nd best centre in the playoffs and Gilman felt pretty confident he will be able to step up and produce with more opportunity. I sure hope so.

- He is not a believer in rebuilding on the fly, wanted to tear things down like Gillis did. While he disagrees with the choice, he understands why the organization took a different route in attempting to bring young players up in a winning environment because he sees the benefits there both in player development and additional revenue through icing a competitive team. The issue will be if the lateral moves Benning made will actually create a winning environment for those young players and allow the team to add talent to the extent it needs to in order to be competitive.

- I said that the team is "a Ryan Miller injury away from being a lottery team". He responded by saying that it wouldn't even take a Miller injury to wind up in the lottery.

- Said Kesler wanted out but did not limit teams to just Anaheim. Said Kesler just wanted to be traded to a contender since he recognized that the Canucks were "past their apex". Gilman was in favor of waiting and trading him at the deadline for a better return, but Benning wanted to get rid of the distraction. The only team at the time willing to play ball was Anaheim, so Benning really handcuffed himself by choosing to trade Kesler during the offseason.

- Thinks Virtanen needs another year in junior. Says he doesnt think the game well and will need a playmaking center to be effective in the NHL. Wouldn't have been his choice at 6, but he didn't say who was the 2nd choice. Thinks Boeser is a similar player, but actually has potentially more hockey sense than Virtanen, could wind up better.

I don't know how much of this information is new or not, but I figured I'd share. Thanks for reading guys.

Hahahahahah
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #557 by aptar » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:54 pm

Sounds a little too realistic to be fiction, but who knows.

And is any player going to generate more fan disappointment than Horvat next year? I'll predict that he puts up 16g and 20a and is mentioned in trade talks before 2016 starts.
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #558 by King Ryan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:10 pm

If anything, it is so closely aligned with what we all suspected that that almost makes me question its veracity. I think it's probably true though.

Wasn't he fired before the Sutter stuff went down, though? How does he have insight into that? I guess it could be just his speculation based on experience w/ Benning.
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #559 by aptar » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:17 pm

Probably privy to conversations in the room about how they need to fill that defensive void. God knows who else Benning might have been targeting.
Vector
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 62 times
Received rep: 43 times

Post #560 by Vector » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:21 pm

King Ryan wrote:If anything, it is so closely aligned with what we all suspected that that almost makes me question its veracity. I think it's probably true though.

Wasn't he fired before the Sutter stuff went down, though? How does he have insight into that? I guess it could be just his speculation based on experience w/ Benning.

Fired before the trade was agreed upon but trades can take months to be consummated.
Cao
Registered Broad
Received rep: 3 times

Post #561 by Cao » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:51 pm

I think Gilman goes to the gym in my community centre. I could probably go find him but that means joining a gym.
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #562 by aptar » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:58 pm

You're asian, he's a numbers guy, you 2 could really hit it off.
vancityluongo
Registered Broad

Post #563 by vancityluongo » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:48 pm

Well, either this guy is really committing to being the next fake insider or he might actually be telling the truth. Sadly.

From last month (July 9th):

capita wrote:I'm going to have an opportunity to speak to Laurence Gilman at length next month at a family function (he's close friends with a cousin of mine) so I will try to get as much of the "inside" story of what went on and why he and Henning were canned and what Benning's rationale was with some of his moves.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showp ... tcount=229
Jyrki21
Registered Broad

Post #564 by Jyrki21 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:29 pm

All pretty intuitive, but for the fact of Kesler not limiting his list to just Anaheim -- you'd kind of think something like that would have come out by now. Perhaps I'm naïve, but as a rule I generally believe stuff like this. I mean, what's the point of making up a detailed fake conversation that isn't exactly surprising or breaking a trade or whatever.

Separately, why do people still refer to "lottery teams" as some magical category? Everyone who misses the playoffs is a lottery team, and it's been this way since the lottery was brought in. Unless you believe the Canucks are easily in the playoffs next year, surmising anything makes them a "lottery team" is not exactly a bold prediction.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #565 by Cao » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:33 am

aptar wrote:You're asian, he's [strike]a numbers guy[/strike]jewish, you 2 could really hit it off.

fixed
Tripwyre
Registered Broad

Post #566 by Tripwyre » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:56 am

"Lottery teams" is just shorthand for "bottom-five in the league" even if that's not technically what it means to be in the lottery anymore.
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #567 by aptar » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:42 am

Jyrki21 wrote:All pretty intuitive, but for the fact of Kesler not limiting his list to just Anaheim -- you'd kind of think something like that would have come out by now. Perhaps I'm naïve, but as a rule I generally believe stuff like this. I mean, what's the point of making up a detailed fake conversation that isn't exactly surprising or breaking a trade or whatever.

Separately, why do people still refer to "lottery teams" as some magical category? Everyone who misses the playoffs is a lottery team, and it's been this way since the lottery was brought in. Unless you believe the Canucks are easily in the playoffs next year, surmising anything makes them a "lottery team" is not exactly a bold prediction.

Well, the Kesler bit makes sense. He was linked to Pittsburgh closely at the deadline and Chicago was supposedly in the mix in the offseason (but fits the profile of teams that couldn't make $ work). So it's not unreasonable to think there were maybe 5 or more team he was willing to go, but only one could make it work at that exact time Benning decided to move him.

We know it certainly isn't Benning's MO to maximize returns or efficiently manage assets.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #568 by Cao » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:04 pm

We signed Adam Cracknell to a league minimum two-way deal. He's pretty decent for the fourth line. But he'll have to beat out Brandon Prust for a spot, and that might be real tough!
19nazzy
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 25 times
Received rep: 12 times

Post #569 by 19nazzy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:39 pm

A potential 4th liner not signed to a $2 mil deal? What is this?
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #570 by aptar » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:59 pm

Consistent with Benning's clear direction of making the team younger, Cracknell is 30.
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #571 by King Ryan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:15 pm

aptar wrote:
Jyrki21 wrote:All pretty intuitive, but for the fact of Kesler not limiting his list to just Anaheim -- you'd kind of think something like that would have come out by now. Perhaps I'm naïve, but as a rule I generally believe stuff like this. I mean, what's the point of making up a detailed fake conversation that isn't exactly surprising or breaking a trade or whatever.

Well, the Kesler bit makes sense. He was linked to Pittsburgh closely at the deadline and Chicago was supposedly in the mix in the offseason (but fits the profile of teams that couldn't make $ work). So it's not unreasonable to think there were maybe 5 or more team he was willing to go, but only one could make it work at that exact time Benning decided to move him.

We know it certainly isn't Benning's MO to maximize returns or efficiently manage assets.

I've said this already, but it's amazing that we went from a guy who hung onto Lou far too long because he refused to comprise, to this Muppet who needs every deal to be sealed immediately and doesn't care if he throws away value to get er done.
19nazzy
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 25 times
Received rep: 12 times

Post #572 by 19nazzy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:50 pm

King Ryan wrote:
aptar wrote:

I've said this already, but it's amazing that we went from a guy who hung onto Lou far too long because he refused to comprise, to this Muppet who needs every deal to be sealed immediately and doesn't care if he throws away value to get er done.

This is the type of guy you want to be against in a fantasy league.
Jyrki21
Registered Broad

Post #573 by Jyrki21 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:39 pm

Tripwyre wrote:"Lottery teams" is just shorthand for "bottom-five in the league" even if that's not technically what it means to be in the lottery anymore.

It never meant that, though. All non-playoff teams have always participated. It just used to be harder to change your position.
Hooker
Registered Broad

Post #574 by Hooker » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:13 pm

I thought it used to be that you moved up five spots, so only the bottom six teams (the "lottery" teams) had any chance at 1st overall?
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #575 by King Ryan » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:55 pm

Yeah, that's what was meant by it. It's not a particularly accurate short-hand, but pretty much everyone meant it as the 5 teams that had a shot at #1 overall and now the short-hand has just remained as the five worst teams in the league.
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 429 times
Received rep: 243 times

Post #576 by vf » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:31 am

Hooker wrote:I thought it used to be that you moved up five spots, so only the bottom six teams (the "lottery" teams) had any chance at 1st overall?

Four spots.
Bim Jenning
Registered Broad

Post #577 by Bim Jenning » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:27 pm

It is really fucking sad that literally the only non-absolute dog-shit move Benning made this entire off-season was signing a complete non-factor in Cracknell
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #578 by aptar » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:59 pm

If Benning was GM of Chicago, what would he get for Kane?
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #579 by Cao » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:34 pm

aptar wrote:If Benning was GM of Chicago, what would he get for Kane?

David Perron, Ian Cole, and a 1st in 2017
Killface
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times

Post #580 by Killface » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:05 pm

Old Man Desjardins is getting a hip replacement and will miss training camp.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=778437

Also when are we starting a Pre pre-season thread?
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #581 by Cao » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:32 pm

Killface wrote:Old Man Desjardins is getting a hip replacement and will miss training camp.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=778437

Also when are we starting a Pre pre-season thread?

I think the pre pre-season thread is the post post-season thread
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #582 by aptar » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:18 pm

We should just have one thread.
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #583 by aptar » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:14 pm

Richard Loney died. Jimbo still had to give up a 2nd to get him into heaven.
Killface
Registered Broad

Post #584 by Killface » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:40 pm

Should have been Mark Donnelly.
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #585 by aptar » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:53 pm

He's probably only got a couple more years on whatever crash diet he did.
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #586 by Vector » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:02 pm

aptar wrote:He's probably only got a couple more years on whatever crash diet he did.

He had his stomach pumped.
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #587 by Vector » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:04 pm

aptar wrote:Richard Loney died. Jimbo still had to give up a 2nd to get him into heaven.

Loney used to sit in front of me during my early seasons as a half-season ticket holder. Really nice guy to the obnoxious fans drunkenly getting autographs. He would get so angry at the team for fucking things up.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #588 by Cao » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:32 pm

Vector wrote:
aptar wrote:Richard Loney died. Jimbo still had to give up a 2nd to get him into heaven.

Loney used to sit in front of me during my early seasons as a half-season ticket holder. Really nice guy to the obnoxious fans drunkenly getting autographs. He would get so angry at the team for fucking things up.

pretty much confirms that benning's putrid offseason was so bad that it killed someone
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #589 by aptar » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:21 pm

Vector wrote:
aptar wrote:He's probably only got a couple more years on whatever crash diet he did.

Do you mean stapled?
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #590 by aptar » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:23 pm

500 calories a day and pregnancy hormones. Yeah, sounds legit.

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Canu ... story.html
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #591 by King Ryan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:43 pm

500 calories a day is pretty insane. I don't really think that's healthy, but it takes some pretty serious will power to hit that. If I have less than 500 calories for lunch I'm pretty happy.
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #592 by Vector » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:48 pm

aptar wrote:
Vector wrote:

Do you mean stapled?

Don't know. I'm not fat so I never cared*.

*I've gained weight but still don't care
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #593 by King Ryan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:54 pm

that guy literally has one job to sing a song and only sings half of it.
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #594 by aptar » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:56 pm

King Ryan wrote:500 calories a day is pretty insane. I don't really think that's healthy, but it takes some pretty serious will power to hit that. If I have less than 500 calories for lunch I'm pretty happy.

Yeah, you have to really hate exercise to go to that point of dieting.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #595 by Cao » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:13 am

there was a young stars game and jake virtanen hit mcdavid really hard and also made darnell nurse angry with hits and stuff

in terms of actual hockey play though the canucks lost 8-2, but they probably won the hits score
aptar
Registered Broad

Post #596 by aptar » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:20 am

We may lose the war, but we will win the scrum battle.

Lol at Edmonton media demanding everyone attacks Virtanen.
Bim Jenning
Registered Broad

Post #597 by Bim Jenning » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:57 pm

Haha, oh Edmonton. HOW DARE YOU HIT ANY OF OUR PLAYERS!

It's pretty hilarious that the Facebook Canucks page literally is only talking about Virtanen hitting people. I guess that's really what our friend Jimbob has done to the team, mind you, doesn't sound like there was much else to talk about other than our shitty prospects getting raped :nucks:

Also, Bergenheim is still without a contract, and Linden Vey is no longer listed as a Centre, leaving us with no 4th line centre. SO LET'S INVITE THIS GUY TO CAMP INSTEAD
https://twitter.com/NEWS1130Sports/status/642097565308166144?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
King Ryan
Registered Broad

Post #598 by King Ryan » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:07 pm

I expect most of the season to be like this.
Hooker
Registered Broad

Post #599 by Hooker » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:18 pm

If the Canucks are going to have the season that the Canucks are going to have, might as well load up on stupid facepunchers.
Killface
Registered Broad

Post #600 by Killface » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:17 pm

“He’s getting customized the last few weeks in Oregon,” said Smyl, adding there is the possibility Abols could earn a training camp invite.
“If a player earns that invite, they’ll get it. It won’t take much. From what I’ve seen in the short period of practices, he fits into the system well, so he’s just gotta go out and play his game.”

http://m.metronews.ca/#/article/news/va ... nucks.html

So, the Canucks know they can't sign Abols, right? I mean, it's only been a year since Tkachev's contract with the Oilers was rejected.

Or do they just want him at training camp so they don't have to bother with scouting him during the season?

Return to “Forum For People Who Sometimes Watch Hockey”