Jim Benning Appreciation Thread

Winning in spite of ourselves...
iloveloov
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 2 times

Jim Benning Appreciation Thread

Post #1 by iloveloov » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi Broads! I noticed there wasn't a thread for this so I decided to create one. I have a lot to say about this so let's get started. Boy oh boy, Benning has come along way hasn't he? After his first year or so on the job I was skeptical about whether he would be a good GM or not. He had just signed Luca Sbisa to a big 10+ million dollar contract after an absolutely terrible year in which he looked like an AHLer and singlehandedly cost the team many games in both the regular season and playoffs. This was after making a series of trades that fell between meh and bad: the Kesler trade, the Forsling, the Vey trade, the Garrison trade, and the Dorsett trade. His first draft pick wasn't lighting the WHL on fire as he should have been either. In a vacuum, his first year certainly looked like it was a sign of bad things to come.

I was ALMOST ready to bring out my pitchfork but I paused after appreciating how much of a mess he inherited from Gillis. It was like Obama coming into office after Bush. The whole team had just crashed from winning multiple President's trophies to being a bottom feeder in the span of a season. Ontop of that, the prospect pool was paper thin. They were universally hated and steeped in a toxic losing culture where whining and diving was common but standing up for yourself and fighting back wasn't. The only thing that made the Canucks intimidating was the skill of the Sedins but by this time teams had for the most part figured out how to neutralize them by breaking their cycle which exposed us as a paper tiger. The room was down in the dumps and drama began to take center stage.

Enter Jim Benning. He knew he had to give this team their balls back so he drafted Virtanen* and acquired Dorsett and Sbisa, while their hockey skills might've been questionable their testosterone was undeniable. Reinforcements were starting to arrive. Then he got a couple of Russian monsters by drafting Tryamkin and trading for Pedan. He knew he couldn't change the culture overnight but gradually he would add more sandpaper to the lineup by trading for another monster in Erik Gudbranson. That represented the cultural tipping point where now young skill guys like Bo Horvat, Sven Baertschi, Troy Stecher, and Markus Granlund were able to start playing ballsy hockey. You don't need a team full of goons but you do need at least a few genuinely intimidating players preferably on the blueline to enable the skilled players with more freedom to assert themselves and grind the dirty areas knowing some real tough customers have got their backs.

There IS absolutely a lack of talent on this team but Benning is hard at work to fix it. He has already drafted many good players soon to join the team such as 19 year old Boeser who has dominated the college ranks as a freshman, 20 year old Demko who has 8 straight wins in his rookie AHL season, 18 year old Olli Juolevi who looks like he will be a better Tanev, 20 year old Virtanen who is coming along in Utica but still 1-2 years away, 19 year old Gaudette who put up dominant stats in his sophomore year and looks like he could be a speedy 2nd line center, and a series of B prospects in Lockwood, McKenzie, Brisebois, Subban, McEneny, Zhukenov, and more who have an outside chance at being NHL players. Then there are players like Goldobin and Dahlén who Benning acquired via trade and both seem to have dynamic offensive talent. THEN there are the players he will draft in the future who could be franchise changers. Heck, Tryamkin looks like he could be one and he was a 3rd rounder! So in the long term, the team is in good hands with Benning who has shown he has sublime talent evaluation.

As much as I hate it, in this NHL the best thing to do if your team isn't a playoff contender is to tank and Benning has done an amazing job at building teams that either make the playoffs or fail miserably rather than barely miss the playoffs, which is truly the worst possible outcome. In 3 seasons, he has made the playoffs once and picked in the top 5 twice. What more can you ask from the GM of a rebuilding team? It's so exciting to see the Canucks FINALLY being built the right way and in a few short years there's no doubt in my mind that we will be contenders again thanks to Jim Benning! :nice:
iloveloov
Registered Broad

Re: Jim Benning Appreciation Thread

Post #2 by iloveloov » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:44 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention that Sbisa now looks like he's worth every bit of that contract! Benning saw something that only God knows because nobody else saw it but the guy looks like a net positive contributor on most nights which was impossible to conceive after his disastrous first year. Goes to show you how well Benning can identify talent and the patience he has for players he believes in! A great sign moving forward, even though we will probably lose Sbisa in the expansion draft.
Cao
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 3 times

Post #3 by Cao » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:20 pm

This sums up what I appreciates abouts Jims Bennings.
King Ryan
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #4 by King Ryan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:18 am

Yeah, that isn't going to work.
iloveloov
Registered Broad

Post #5 by iloveloov » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:36 am

King Ryan wrote:Yeah, that isn't going to work.

What is that supposed to mean?
King Ryan
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #6 by King Ryan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:29 pm

iloveloov wrote:

Your sad attempts at trolling are not going to get anyone because we know that you are a pathetic loser and we do not give a fuck about your bullshit.
iloveloov
Registered Broad

Post #7 by iloveloov » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:45 pm

King Ryan wrote:
iloveloov wrote:

Your sad attempts at trolling are not going to get anyone because we know that you are a pathetic loser and we do not give a fuck about your bullshit.

Ah don't be so hard on yourself Ryan. Everything I've ever said about Benning is sincere but I guess it's easier for you to call me a troll than actually engage and have your lazy inaccurate opinions destroyed.

Return to “Forum For People Who Sometimes Watch Hockey”