Anaheim Ducks Offseason 2013

SeanDucks93
Registered Broad

Anaheim Ducks Offseason 2013

Post #1 by SeanDucks93 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:50 pm

This is a new thread for comments and concerns and opinions about our Anaheim Ducks this offseason! Talk anything about rumors, possible trades and draft day! enjoy! Your opinion matters! GO DUCKS!
SeanDucks93
Registered Broad

Post #2 by SeanDucks93 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:58 pm

So guys i think the big rumors out there are.....Are we going to keep Bobby or will he be bait for a trade? Also theres talk of possibly Hiller leaving since we have Fasth/Andersen and even Gibson coming up in a few years. but im not sure if Fasth is the answer.
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #3 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:38 am

I would certainly be down to trade Hiller, but I don't know about Bobby. There is a case to be made that he should be traded and I understand those who do want to trade him. But, I'm just not sure if that is the best thing to do right now.
scoooty27
Registered Broad

Post #4 by scoooty27 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:28 am

Trading Ryan would make sense, if Teemu decided to stay for another year and if the Ducks took an offensive forward with the potential to produce within 2 years. As for Hiller, i'd much rather trade Fasth, keep Hiller for another year and then roll with Gibson.
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #5 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:11 pm

See, I'm a Fasth guy and have been a Fasth guy since he was signed. I just think his technical skill is better than Hiller and if I can get good value for Hiller, I'd definitely pull the trigger. I think both Teemu's and Saku's decisions will kind of weigh on what the Ducks could do with Bobby. There would definitely be suitors for Bobby.
AD
Has given rep: 322 times
Received rep: 394 times

Post #6 by AD » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:41 am

Wooo Welcome!

Go DUCKS! Next year is gonna be a tough ride though imho.
Ducksfan93
Registered Broad

Post #7 by Ducksfan93 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:50 am

This offseason is critical. Lets see what Murray can do, but he hasn't ever shown that he's capable of significantly improving the team.

He's kind of a reactionary type of GM
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #8 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:32 am

Murray's had like 3 or 4 good free agent signings in 6 years. I wouldn't focus too much on his decisions. Next year will all be decided on the young guys and how much they can make an impact.
AD

Post #9 by AD » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:58 pm

I like the cut of your jibs.
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #10 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:28 pm

I just wish somehow they could get rid of Souray and his contract.
stan:getz

Post #11 by stan:getz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:52 pm

This is outrageous.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[CENTER][font="Trebuchet MS"][color="#4169e1"]Do not fuck with me[/color][/font][/CENTER]
Vector
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 26 times

Post #12 by Vector » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:54 pm

PucksofaFeather_Sean wrote:I just wish somehow they could get rid of Souray and his contract.

What is something hockey fans have said since 2007, for 500 Alex.
SopelFan wrote:This is up there on his on his list of 40 injuries with the snake bite and the busted nut.
In reference to Salo hurting himself playing whiffleball.
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #13 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:40 am

Vector wrote:What is something hockey fans have said since 2007, for 500 Alex.

hahahahahaha THREE YEAR DEAL. (facepalm)
SeanDucks93
Registered Broad

Post #14 by SeanDucks93 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:04 am

So I heard a rumor that Mark Streit of the NYI doesn't want to come back to the team next year. He will be a UFA in July. Do you think Murray should go after him? Great defenseman, has Captain-like qualities, watched him against PIT in the first round, thought he did a great job on the blue line.
AD

Post #15 by AD » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:39 am

I'm a Streit fan, but if he's looking for upwards of 5.5 million, I consider that outrageous.
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #16 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:12 am

I actually thought Streit wanted 6, but no matter the Ducks shouldn't go after him and I don't think they will. But, it's a good point to mention Schneider. Ya never know.
Vector
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 26 times

Post #17 by Vector » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:43 am

PucksofaFeather_Sean wrote:hahahahahaha THREE YEAR DEAL. (facepalm)

Jesus...I thought it was a 1-2 year deal at a very low cap hit. The dude hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

SeanDucks93 wrote:So I heard a rumor that Mark Streit of the NYI doesn't want to come back to the team next year. He will be a UFA in July. Do you think Murray should go after him? Great defenseman, has Captain-like qualities, watched him against PIT in the first round, thought he did a great job on the blue line.

I love the guy but he's getting old. I'd be worried about an injury forcing him to retire or something causing his play to decline. Personally hoping the Canucks go after him and would be willing to fork out some serious money. He can solve a lot of problems for a team close to competing. Would be a good mentor for Fowler and would take the pressure off the other defencemen offensively.
SopelFan wrote:This is up there on his on his list of 40 injuries with the snake bite and the busted nut.
In reference to Salo hurting himself playing whiffleball.
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #18 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:04 pm

IMO, we don't need to add another offensive defenseman. Fowler got his offensive game on track late last year and Vatanen showed he has the ability to play up here now. I am a HUGE Vatanen fan.
Natesaduck
Registered Broad

Post #19 by Natesaduck » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:28 pm

PucksofaFeather_Sean wrote:IMO, we don't need to add another offensive defenseman. Fowler got his offensive game on track late last year and Vatanen showed he has the ability to play up here now. I am a HUGE Vatanen fan.

This! I thought Vatanen should have been in the line-up after Lydman was injured in the playoffs, if not sooner.

The problem for Vatanen making the line-up out of camp is the logjam of defensemen already signed through next year.
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #20 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Natesaduck wrote:This! I thought Vatanen should have been in the line-up after Lydman was injured in the playoffs, if not sooner.

The problem for Vatanen making the line-up out of camp is the logjam of defensemen already signed through next year.

Well, Fowler, Souray, Sbisa, Beauchemin, Allen all have contracts. Lydman, Hendry, Guenin and Lovejoy are UFA's. I'd like to see Lydman and Lovejoy back, especially Lovejoy. But then there's Lindholm, who some think could crack the lineup. I don't know about that, but Vatanen could find himself on the roster. Murray said next year's team would be different. I would think Sbisa could get moved. Maybe he doesn't bring Lydman or Lovejoy back. THEN, Vatanen could be in the top six. All this is moot of course, however, it is possible.
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #21 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:21 pm

JeffShibley wrote:I really don't think Lydman will be back. I think there is a chance that Lovejoy will be back, but not Lydman. if our 7 D-men are Beauchemin, Fowler, Souray, Sbisa, Allen, Vatanen, Lovejoy that shouldn't be to bad. Lindholm, and Clark could fill in if someone gets hurt...this is of course if no UFAs are signed other than Lovejoy. It is probably a realistic look giving our cap situation, but who knows maybe some money will be freed up and we can spend some on D. If not though...that is probably what we are looking at... so it is basically the same D as last season except Vatanen will be replacing Lydman. That will probably be an upgrade on D especially on the powerplay. maybe a downgrade in the defensive zone, but not by that much.

I'd be perfectly fine with that being the top 7. well, besides Souray, but I think I just have to get over it and finally give in to the fact that he's gonna be here 2 more years. :(
Natesaduck
Registered Broad

Post #22 by Natesaduck » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:06 pm

JeffShibley wrote:so it is basically the same D as last season except Vatanen will be replacing Lydman. That will probably be an upgrade on D especially on the powerplay. maybe a downgrade in the defensive zone, but not by that much.

I think you may be underselling Lydman's work in the defensive zone and overestimating Vatanen's defensive capability.

I would have loved to see Vatanen at some point in the playoffs, but it just wasn't in the cards. That leads me to believe that Bruce still has big concerns about Vatanen being a defensive liability. Or, at least big enough not to warrant his offensive production.

I've been saying this for the past 2 years; The Ducks need to trade Bobby Ryan for some defensive help. Beauchemin and Fowler both need a legitimate defensive partner that will compliment their game. Fowler may have found his partner in Lovejoy, but Ben still hasn't signed a deal. That leaves Beauchemin. Anyone else think it's still a good idea to give Souray top minutes? I certainly don't. I think the biggest hole on this team is the defense, and because the team spent so much money on lackluster stop-gaps (ie Allen, Souray), they need to solve the problem via trade.
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #23 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Natesaduck wrote:I think you may be underselling Lydman's work in the defensive zone and overestimating Vatanen's defensive capability.

I would have loved to see Vatanen at some point in the playoffs, but it just wasn't in the cards. That leads me to believe that Bruce still has big concerns about Vatanen being a defensive liability. Or, at least big enough not to warrant his offensive production.

I've been saying this for the past 2 years; The Ducks need to trade Bobby Ryan for some defensive help. Beauchemin and Fowler both need a legitimate defensive partner that will compliment their game. Fowler may have found his partner in Lovejoy, but Ben still hasn't signed a deal. That leaves Beauchemin. Anyone else think it's still a good idea to give Souray top minutes? I certainly don't. I think the biggest hole on this team is the defense, and because the team spent so much money on lackluster stop-gaps (ie Allen, Souray), they need to solve the problem via trade.

I can't say I disagree with you about Vatanen's defensive liability and the need for Fowler and Beauchemin to find partners. I really hope they get a deal done with Lovejoy. I thought he was excellent, especially in the playoffs. Allen and Souray were improvements over the previous years defensive corp, but now it is time to improve it again bc it is obvious that those two aren't enough. Coburn would be a nice addition, but he is such an enigma. At times he looks like the high pick talent he was years ago and then sometimes he just looks lost.
Natesaduck
Registered Broad

Post #24 by Natesaduck » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:22 pm

With the recent rumor of Koivu re-signing for another year, I've been thinking a lot of what the make-up of the team would be for next year. What I've started to realize is that there's a ton of question marks.

As far as who is currently signed, if the season were to start tomorrow the line-up may look something like this:

Maroon - Getzlaf - Perry
Etem - Bonino - Ryan
Cogliano - Koivu - Winnik
Smith-Pelly - Holland - Staubitz

Souray - Beauchemin
Allen - Fowler
Sbisa - Vatanen

Hiller
Fasth

Possible returning players: Lovejoy, Selanne, Palmieri, Belesky, Steckel

Assuming Murray isn't able to sign someone like Filppula and there are no major trades, I think the line-up may look something like this:

Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry
Cogliano - Bonino - Palmieri
Etem - Koivu - Selanne
Winnik - Steckel - Maroon

Souray - Beauchemin
Fowler - Lovejoy
Allen - Sbisa/Vatanen

Hiller
Fasth

In either case, the team is essentially the same and most likely won't warrant a better result than it did this season.

What say you?
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #25 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:45 pm

Well, Murray said next year the team would be different. Now, I don't exactly buy that all that much, but I would like to see more youth. I'm always a fan of youth movements. Also, I'd put Palmieri in over Smith-Pelly.
Natesaduck
Registered Broad

Post #26 by Natesaduck » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:32 am

PucksofaFeather_Sean wrote:Well, Murray said next year the team would be different. Now, I don't exactly buy that all that much, but I would like to see more youth. I'm always a fan of youth movements. Also, I'd put Palmieri in over Smith-Pelly.

As would I. That's why I put Palmieri on the second line and didn't assign Smith-Pelly if Palmieri signs a deal.
Ducksfan93
Registered Broad

Post #27 by Ducksfan93 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:54 am

If we return the same lineup (very possible imo) I think we'll finish significantly worse than we did in this shortened season. Probably a low-end playoff team. Our roster isn't that great.
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #28 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:35 am

Ducksfan93 wrote:If we return the same lineup (very possible imo) I think we'll finish significantly worse than we did in this shortened season. Probably a low-end playoff team. Our roster isn't that great.

Sounds about right. The shine of that great start really came off in a hurry and they were a .500 team until the playoffs basically.
Natesaduck
Registered Broad

Post #29 by Natesaduck » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:15 am

Been chatting with Dennis Bernstien of The Fourth Period via Twitter the last few weeks and he seems to think the Ducks should grab Filppula. I've honestly been dying for Murray to make a statement to address the team's lack of depth at center and on defense, but I'm reluctant to think he'll go out and address either need via free agency. I'd love for him to find his balls for once and make an aggressive move to get Filppula if he's interested in playing here. What say you?

This thread is fucking dead. Wake up you ass-lickers!
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #30 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:23 am

Well, first of all, about Filppula, what's happened to him in Detroit? His productions down and Detroit seems real down on him. Is it because of lack of production recently?
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #31 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:27 pm

Nothing so far in FA, but not entirely a bad thing right now.
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #32 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:16 pm

Well......not so quiet anymore. Feelings?
Natesaduck
Registered Broad

Post #33 by Natesaduck » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:22 pm

Decent return for Ryan, but not what the Ducks need. Hope they can grab Grabo, Roy, or Brunner at a cost. Still weak down the middle..
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #34 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:16 pm

I thought this was the best return the Ducks could've gotten for Bobby. Of course it is said to see Bobby go, but he did need to have a fresh start. The 1st rounder is a nice addition since this team always seems to hit on their first round picks. Noesen is gonna be a good 2nd or 3rd line forward that will play with some heart and add some offensive every now and then. Plus he already has had some chemistry with Rickard Rakell as those two have been excellent together in Plymouth. Silfverberg is close to being a slightly smaller version of Bobby. Good offensive instincts with a knack to play around the net. I really like this trade. However, with every trade, the results won't be decided for a few years. Although, I would give this trade a pretty good grade.
Natesaduck
Registered Broad

Post #35 by Natesaduck » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:55 am

At first I was incensed that Murray traded a great asset and the return didn't fill a single need. Ducks already have plenty of young talent on the wings and a plethora of fantastic prospects. The trade itself was good. I think in order to make sense of this trade, Murray will need to address at least either the need on defense or on center. Otherwise, he's essentially taking the route of a rebuild.

One thing that gives me hope in terms of at least one move that will address a team need for the coming season is the fact that Koivu signed for a modest $2.5 million. A guy like that could command at least $3.5 million if not $4 million on the open market. I'm really hoping that might be a sign that Murray convinced Koivu to take less so he could spend more to fill one of the needs.

Also, in the rumor mill, I keep hearing Hiller is as good as gone from a buddy of mine that knows some people in the front office. He tells me that management is super high on Gibson and they want to give him the job in Norfolk next year. In order to do that, Andersen would have to be backing up Fasth or Hiller. Although Hiller has a higher salary, he's much more proven than Fasth and would likely net a decent return if packaged with a young prospect (that the Ducks have plenty of, at this point). A big number of possibilities out there if Murray can't fetch a free agent center for the second line. And if he does, that still leaves great opportunities for trading Hiller and a prospect for a top 4 defenseman.

Lots to digest at this point. One thing's for sure, Murray already made good on his "things will be different" speech. I'm just hoping they're heading in the good direction of different.
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #36 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:24 am

This was a very tough move for the Ducks and even harder for the fans to get over since Bobby was beloved. However, I think a key thing here is that the Ducks aren't supposed to win a Cup this year. I think we found out late in the year last year and in the playoffs that this team couldn't win a Cup. So, they add to the very good crop of young players. I use that argument as to why I think they should trade Hiller. I'm perfectly fine with having Fasth as the guy here for 1 or 2 years, depending on how long it takes for Gibson to develop.
PucksofaFeather_Sean
Registered Broad

Post #37 by PucksofaFeather_Sean » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:36 pm

Anaheim Ducks' Second Line Center Options

http://pucksofafeather.com/2013/07/08/anaheim-ducks-second-line-center-options-outside-inside/

Also, I'm going to be starting my, "The Newest Ducklings," series on the recent draft picks this week. So, I'll post them here or on the draft discussion board.
Natesaduck
Registered Broad

Post #38 by Natesaduck » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:31 pm

Seems to me that the Ducks lost out on Roy so now they're preaching about how much faith they have in Holland, Rackell, and Bonino to fight for the 2nd line center position.

Ducks are going to rely heavily on one of those centers in addition to Selfverberg, Palmieri, and Etem to fill out the top 6 forward positions. I'm not sure I like that.

Return to “Anaheim Ducks Forum”