33%

Total votes: 9
Nibblet
Registered Broad
Received rep: 2 times

DD2013 Semifinal: Los Angeles vs Boston

Post #1 by Nibblet » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:51 am

To GMs:
Post your line-ups, special teams, captains, style of play, tactics and anything else you can imagine about your team here. Explain why you think your team would prevail in a 7 game playoff series and what strategies your team would use to do so.

It is up to you to ensure that your opponent is cap compliant. If you find out they aren't, you may win by DQ.

As a GM you must vote in every contest once the poll is up. This is to ensure we have the bare minimum number of votes in case other broads don't step up. If you don't vote in all other match-ups, your own team will not progress.

No vote rigging is allowed. You are allowed to encourage other posters to vote in this thread but you cannot ask them to vote for you.

To non-GMs:
Please look at the line-ups and the arguments of each GM for their respective teams. Then vote for the team you think will win a 7 game playoff series. Try to remain impartial. It's not a requirement but please explain in a post why you vote for the team you voted for.

Poll will be up later, once both GMs have posted their line-ups and opening arguments.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 348 times
Received rep: 166 times

Post #2 by mayoradamwest » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:52 pm

Maw's Los Angeles Kings of Scientology
Coach: Sutter (the one that coaches LA.)

"A" Jamie Benn - "A" Anze Kopitar - Brad Marchand
Joffery Lupul - David Krejci - Brendan Gallagher
Colin Greening - Adam Henrique - Jakob Silfverberg
Matt Martin - Nathan Gerbe - Mark Stone
Jim O'Brien

Oliver Ekman-Larsson - "C" Drew Doughty
Marc Methot - Vyacheslav "Slava" Voynov
Michal Rozsival - Cody Franson
Mark Borowiecki

J. Quick
Philpp Grubauer

PP1:
Lupul-Kopitar-Benn
OEL-Doughty

PP2: Henrique-Krejci-Marchand
Franson-Voynov

PK1: Kopitar Benn
OEL-Doughty

PK2: Henrique-Marchand
Methot-Voynov

Highlights:
Down the middle: Kopitar is a true number 1 C even in a condensed league. Krejci stays as a very good number 2. Henrique is the best C on the Devils, and becomes a third liner here. The fourth line won't see much ice time, but Jim O'Brien won't treat you wrong, or can go with Gerbe who has played tough minutes for the Sabres in the past and will be relied on less here.

Experience: Many, many, cup winners and people who play good in the playoffs.
Quick is a big game goalie. Kopitar tied for the lead in playoff points last year; Krecji led league in playoff points by a huge margin this year; Henrique scores big goals at important times; Doughty is a winner, Voynov led playoffs in goals by defencemen & also can hit and play D.

Tough team: Marchand, Gallagher, Matt Martin, Marc Methot, Voynov, Roszival, Henrique, Kopitar and more won't get outworked.

Arousing D: OEL is a number 1 defenceman on most teams; Doughty is number one on his; Voynov has turned into an elite Dman, Methot was the number one defenceman on a playoff team this year, and Rozsival and Franson bring a specific skill set (defence and puck movement respectively.)

Balanced scoring: A top 6 that can compete with any team's, and a powerplay that can excel through Lupul-Kopitar-Benn and other combinations plus great talent on the back end.

Jon Quick: proven winner, long standing track record of unquestioned success.

Conclusion: Fantastic defence, a fantastic goalie, and great offensive depth.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #3 by mayoradamwest » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:14 pm

Biggest matchups:

Jon Quick vs Braden Holtby. Quick is a Conne Smythe winner, Holtby... on research seems to have won an invite to the orientation camp to play ball hockey with Crosby. I'm sure he won player of the week or something while playing in the ECHL though. He's a good goalie, but... yeah, Jon Quick. :gary:

Benn-Kopitar-Marchand vs Eriksson - Bergeron - Eberle: Benn is a better player than Eriksson; Benn is going to be the captain of Dallas and would already be a star if he wasn't playing in Dallas. Eriksson is could, but was behind Benn on the Dallas depth chart. Why? Because Benn is better. Kopitar vs Bergeron? Interesting matchup and I could see anyone making arguments for either (Bergeron's injury history aside.) Eberle vs Marchand? Eberle is going to be a star in this league, but in a big game the grit, effort, goal scoring, and ability to avoid making terrible plays is a big thing. Marchand wins that battle, and with 2/3 players clearly better the first line battle goes the way of LA.

Skinner - Stepan - Tarasenko vs Lupul- Krejci- Gallagher. Skinner hasn't been the same player since his first year, and it's questionable if he'll ever reach his potential due to injuries. Lupul has been a point a game player the past years. While unfortunately a Leaf, Lupul wins that battle. Stepan vs Krecji. In leading the league in playoff scoring by a wide margin this year, Krejci actually had more playoff points this season than Stepan has in his career. Throw in that he's responsible and a proven winner, this battle goes to Krecji. With Gallagher vs Tarasenko: In the regular season Tarasenko wins easily. In a tight game... if Vlad isn't scoring he's a liability, if Gallagher isn't scoring he's a useful player throwing hits and aggravating the opposition. With BG's ability to get people off his game, that'll be major win.

Baertschi - Sutter - Pominville vs Greening - Henrique - Silfverberg. Greening is a proven playoff perfomer. Here's a story about how he was bleeding while scoring an OT winner in the playoffs from this year. http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/05/21/colin-greening-goal-a-kids-dream-come-true Baertschi while in the future will be good, could not crack the Calgary flames. Henrique is probably the Devils top center and after healing from his injured season last year should revert back. He works hard, and should have won rookie fo the year. Sutter is someone who played a lot with Crosby and Malkin, and still couldn't put up points. He also couldn't be good enough defensively to contribute to a stacked pens team winning. Pominville is probably better than Silfverberg, of course he hasn't played since that Dustin Brown incident and it's hard to say if he'll ever reach that level again (especially considering how he leached off Vanek and is now playing with Sutter and an AHL'er instead.)

So yeah... the top three forward lines go to me.

Paille - Handzus - Clutterbuck vs Martin-Gerbe-Stone. Martin the NHL hit leader; Paille was good in the playoffs because he played with Tyler Seguin and so got room. Handzuz is... well, done, Gerbe has played in the past in a shutdown role against team's top lines and despite a bad year on a horrid buffalo team, will be with the CAnes this year. Stone didn't play in the NHL last year because he was hurt when the opportunity came up, but if he's not effective in a game then Jim O'brien is serviceable and my fourth line can simply play a shutdown game against his. Pure trap. His fourth line is better yes, but not by enough to make a difference.

Chara - Seidenberg vs OEL-Doughty - Chara is great, but slowing down as he's old. OEL and DOughty are both fantastic.

Del Zotto - Bieksa: These two defensive stalwarts :danson: will be playing against Lupul-Krecji-Marchand, or Benn-Kopitar-Marchand whenever I can get the matchup. My second defence pairing is Methot-Voynov. Voynov is solid defensively, but Methot is a proven guy who's able to cover for a wandering partner if necessary. Both Methot and Voynov are top line defenders; Del Zotto and Bieksa are nice, but liabilities.
Orlov - Boychuk: two defensive disasters against Rozsival (experienced and gritty, plus solid defensively) and Franson who played over 20 minutes a night in the playoffs for Toronto. This last pairing can be sheltered by me if ncessary, but are considerably less dangerous than Orlov boychuk.

SO to sum it up, LA has the better lines 1-3, better defensive pairings 1-3, and considerably better goaltending. Boston counters with a slightly more reliable fourth line, which doesn't have the ability to score on its own anyways.

Gotta give the decision to LA.
:gary:
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #4 by mayoradamwest » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:18 pm

I was looking for this picture earlier.... Image
Nibblet
Registered Broad

Post #5 by Nibblet » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Benn being a better player than Eriksson is just flat out wrong. Marchand better than Eberle only in a biggest nose contest.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #6 by mayoradamwest » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:36 pm

Nibblet wrote:Benn being a better player than Eriksson is just flat out wrong. Marchand better than Eberle only in a biggest nose contest.

you're flat out wrong. :gary:

Eriksson was better; Benn has surpassed him.

Eberle is a good hockey player and long term will be better, but at moment Marchand is more complete. Especially in a tight checking playoff game, I'll take the guy who can score, play in his own zone, and be physical.
pedrospecialk
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #7 by pedrospecialk » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:41 pm

Lineup:

Eriksson - Bergeron - Eberle
Skinner - Stepan - Tarasenko
Baertschi - Sutter - Pominville
Paille - Handzus - Clutterbuck
MacKenzie

Chara - Seidenberg
Del Zotto - Bieksa
Orlov - Boychuk
Petry

Holtby
Lack

Special Teams

PP1: Umbrella

Halfboards: Eberle left, Eriksson right
Goal line/bottom of the circle: Bergeron
Net front: Pominville (Chara late in games)
Point: Del Zotto

PP2: Shooting

Strong-side halfboard: Skinner
Goal line/bottom of circle: Stepan
Net front: Tarasenko
Point men: Chara, Orlov

PK FW 1: Handzus/Paille
PK FW 2: Sutter/Pominville
PK FW 3: Bergeron/Eriksson

PK D1: Chara - Boychuk
PK D2: Seidenberg - Bieksa

Late in games (in pretty much all defending situations) Chara & Seidenberg pair up with one of Boychuk/Bieksa rotating in for whichever's tired.

Captains

C: Chara
A: Bergeron
A: Seidenberg

Style of Play

Emulate the real-life Bruins.

Offensively: Lots of D-to-D on breakouts, with faster forwards coming in to help slow (read: non-Del Zotto/Orlov) defensemen break out. Adding Orlov gives me more opportunity to skate the puck out and limits the opposition's ability to clog the neutral zone and stifle the breakout. Dump the puck hard around and get 2 men deep to help win the puck back. D are allowed to pinch to secure puck possession, center plays 3rd man high to prevent odd-man rushes the other way if possession is lost.

Defensively: Two-man forecheck with one aggressive forechecker and one cutting out the middle of the ice, defensemen pinching up the boards to limit zone entry. When in-zone, center comes deep and helps win board battles, big defensemen clearing the front of the net to allow Holtby clean looks. Opposite of Laviolette/Tortorella "block shots at all costs" approach, which should allow more rebound control and less deflected goals.

Overall: Spread out the ice time pretty evenly among four lines, conserving energy for my top 6/9 for late-game situations where they're needed.

Chara/Seidenberg with Paille - Bergeron - Eriksson when I need to preserve a lead.

Del Zotto/Bergeron on the point with Chara net-front when I need a goal late.

Conclusion
I'll write some shit tomorrow morning
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #8 by mayoradamwest » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:45 pm

Biggest matchups:

Jon Quick vs Braden Holtby. Quick is a Conne Smythe winner, Holtby... on research seems to have won an invite to the orientation camp to play ball hockey with Crosby. I'm sure he won player of the week or something while playing in the ECHL though. He's a good goalie, but... yeah, Jon Quick. :gary:

Benn-Kopitar-Marchand vs Eriksson - Bergeron - Eberle: Benn is a better player than Eriksson; Benn is going to be the captain of Dallas and would already be a star if he wasn't playing in Dallas. Eriksson is could, but was behind Benn on the Dallas depth chart. Why? Because Benn is better. Kopitar vs Bergeron? Interesting matchup and I could see anyone making arguments for either (Bergeron's injury history aside.) Eberle vs Marchand? Eberle is going to be a star in this league, but in a big game the grit, effort, goal scoring, and ability to avoid making terrible plays is a big thing. Marchand wins that battle, and with 2/3 players clearly better the first line battle goes the way of LA.

Skinner - Stepan - Tarasenko vs Lupul- Krejci- Gallagher. Skinner hasn't been the same player since his first year, and it's questionable if he'll ever reach his potential due to injuries. Lupul has been a point a game player the past years. While unfortunately a Leaf, Lupul wins that battle. Stepan vs Krecji. In leading the league in playoff scoring by a wide margin this year, Krejci actually had more playoff points this season than Stepan has in his career. Throw in that he's responsible and a proven winner, this battle goes to Krecji. With Gallagher vs Tarasenko: In the regular season Tarasenko wins easily. In a tight game... if Vlad isn't scoring he's a liability, if Gallagher isn't scoring he's a useful player throwing hits and aggravating the opposition. With BG's ability to get people off his game, that'll be major win.

Baertschi - Sutter - Pominville vs Greening - Henrique - Silfverberg. Greening is a proven playoff perfomer. Here's a story about how he was bleeding while scoring an OT winner in the playoffs from this year. http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/05/21/colin-greening-goal-a-kids-dream-come-true Baertschi while in the future will be good, could not crack the Calgary flames. Henrique is probably the Devils top center and after healing from his injured season last year should revert back. He works hard, and should have won rookie fo the year. Sutter is someone who played a lot with Crosby and Malkin, and still couldn't put up points. He also couldn't be good enough defensively to contribute to a stacked pens team winning. Pominville is probably better than Silfverberg, of course he hasn't played since that Dustin Brown incident and it's hard to say if he'll ever reach that level again (especially considering how he leached off Vanek and is now playing with Sutter and an AHL'er instead.)

So yeah... the top three forward lines go to me.

Paille - Handzus - Clutterbuck vs Martin-Gerbe-Stone. Martin the NHL hit leader; Paille was good in the playoffs because he played with Tyler Seguin and so got room. Handzuz is... well, done, Gerbe has played in the past in a shutdown role against team's top lines and despite a bad year on a horrid buffalo team, will be with the CAnes this year. Stone didn't play in the NHL last year because he was hurt when the opportunity came up, but if he's not effective in a game then Jim O'brien is serviceable and my fourth line can simply play a shutdown game against his. Pure trap. His fourth line is better yes, but not by enough to make a difference.

Chara - Seidenberg vs OEL-Doughty - Chara is great, but slowing down as he's old. OEL and DOughty are both fantastic.

Del Zotto - Bieksa: These two defensive stalwarts :danson: will be playing against Lupul-Krecji-Gallagher, or Benn-Kopitar-Marchand whenever I can get the matchup. My second defence pairing is Methot-Voynov. Voynov is solid defensively, but Methot is a proven guy who's able to cover for a wandering partner if necessary. Both Methot and Voynov are top line defenders; Del Zotto and Bieksa are nice, but liabilities.
Orlov - Boychuk: two defensive disasters against Rozsival (experienced and gritty, plus solid defensively) and Franson who played over 20 minutes a night in the playoffs for Toronto. This last pairing can be sheltered by me if ncessary, but are considerably less dangerous than Orlov boychuk.

SO to sum it up, LA has the better lines 1-3, better defensive pairings 1-3, and considerably better goaltending. Boston counters with a slightly more reliable fourth line, which doesn't have the ability to score on its own anyways.

Gotta give the decision to LA.
:gary:

edit: moved post down here for ease of voters
Nibblet
Registered Broad

Post #9 by Nibblet » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:48 pm

Yeah but now it looks like I replied to nothing :why:
flâ·neur
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1168 times
Received rep: 765 times

Post #10 by flâ·neur » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:50 pm

pedro recently repped me so it's only fair that MAW you rep this post so I cannot be called biased. :gary:
flâ·neur
Registered Broad

Post #11 by flâ·neur » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:57 pm

and I predicted Boston to win and was the deciding vote in his last round. You have a solid case against me voting.
Cao
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 3 times

Post #12 by Cao » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:21 pm

MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 163 times
Received rep: 387 times

Post #13 by MP » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:33 am

As much as it pains me to see Lupul advance, Quick over Holtby seals the deal for LA IMO.
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 87 times

Post #14 by Rogers Pancreas » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:20 am

I think MAW's first unit could have an advantage had pedro not back-stopped his group with Chara and Seidenberg, both of which are exceptional, and have proven themselves to be as much when paired together. Make it a wash. The second unit is a clear advantage for MAW, while I like the third unit for pedro. The fourth-lines are inconsequentially bad. Quick is a CLEAR advantage for MAW.

Voting for the Kings here.
His Satanic Majestic Request
pedrospecialk
Registered Broad

Post #15 by pedrospecialk » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:09 am

Handzus may not have his wheels, but a fourth unit with Paille and Clutterbuck isn't inconsequentially bad. Regardless, Paille can play up with Sutter when the lead's established and the game needs killing off.

Cycling my defense would work against the depth on LA's side, with Del Zotto/Bieksa/Orlov primarily seeing time against the Henrique unit (I'm pretty low on Henrique, so I don't like that third line one bit) and the fourth line. I would agree the second unit has more firepower than mine, but if the top 6 for LA is on the ice for ~35 ES minutes, that's matched up with 70 minutes of the following:

Chara - Seidenberg (12)
Chara - Boychuk (10)
Seidenberg - Boychuk (10)
Del Zotto - Bieksa (3)

Chara is taken off the PP entirely with Del Zotto playing the entire power play.

I see that as 3-6 minutes (in case the matchups don't work/a defender is trapped on the ice) where I'm truly "exposed". My structure and defensive style is strong enough to survive when those two units are on the ice, checking primarily with the Sutter and Handzus units and saving the Bergeron unit until towards the end of the Kopitar/Krejci lines' shifts and/or when Henrique is on the ice.

Methot is solid defensively, but I feel my speed guys would be able to elude him. I see him as a liability on that second pairing when Skinner/Eberle are on the ice. Depending on how the matchups go, I would consider flipping Pominville up to Bergeron's unit, going with Eberle on the 2nd "speed" line and dropping Tarasenko down with Baertschi and Sutter. I also think Bergeron's line would be able to make life difficult/miserable for Doughty with their forechecking abilities despite the awesomeness of OEL (I imagine it'll be that pairing against Bergeron?).

Rozsival and Franson playing together would be a disaster IMO. Both slow, both right-handed, both prone to lapses in judgment in their own end (though Rozsival has improved that of late). If I got one of my top 2 lines out against them, it would create lots of problems on the breakout and forecheck.

Quick is Quick. I don't have an argument as to you having and edge there, but Holtby behind a good defense and playing a clog-the-middle-while-allowing-the-goalie-to-see-shots style would be excellent. I'd pay good money to see these two squads matched up, as I would have in the Vancouver series.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #16 by mayoradamwest » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:13 am

Methot has no issue with speed guys. He skates very well, surprisingly so.

Henrique had a better scoring rate than Landedkog in his rookie year, then was a playoff hero, then Played through injury in a terrible devils team. Henrique is quite good. He also can hit, at solid defence, and is very smart.

As you said with roszival. Doesn't make those mistakes lately. Or anymore if you want to put to that way. With the my top four all being exceptional, the bottom pairing would be sheltered. Meanwhile, you'd have to run your nid pairing essentially against a top line. Major problem.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #17 by mayoradamwest » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:23 am

Masterplan wrote:As much as it pains me to see Lupul advance, Quick over Holtby seals the deal for LA IMO.

This is maybe my biggest advantage. Chara is great, but he can't be on the ice at all times and there's a ton of scoring depth on my team to create problem matchups. While he think Pedro is overrating Bieksa, he's openly admitting he had to hide half his d by noting he has to rotate and watch his bottom three guys.
flâ·neur
Registered Broad

Post #18 by flâ·neur » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:34 pm

After a long deliberation, I have decided that my vote will go to the Kings of LA. I'll go into detail why later on.
pedrospecialk
Registered Broad

Post #19 by pedrospecialk » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:16 pm

[youtube]osvN34PXjgU[/youtube]
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
flâ·neur
Registered Broad

Post #20 by flâ·neur » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:29 pm

Cao
Registered Broad

Post #21 by Cao » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:17 pm

Quick has basically the same even strength save percentage as Fleury over the last 3 years
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #22 by mayoradamwest » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:28 pm

Really, you're going to try and throw doubt on Quick's ability? :danson:
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #23 by Cao » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:32 pm

I mean he's had his struggles, the only difference is that Fleury struggled after his cup and Quick struggled before.

I guess my point is that FUCK YOU ALL I SHOULD BE CHAMPION
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #24 by mayoradamwest » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:05 pm

I can't think of a goalie I'd rather have locked up long term.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #25 by Cao » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:18 pm

Lundqvist, Schneider, Rask...
Bow Tie
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 10 times

Post #26 by Bow Tie » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:55 pm

I feel Vancouver should've trumped Boston last round, and the main problem I had persists in this matchup: goaltending. If I'm picking between teams who start Quick and Holtby, both of whom I really like, I'm going with the team that has Quickles.
pedrospecialk
Registered Broad

Post #27 by pedrospecialk » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Quick's had excellent in-zone defensemen in front of him most of the time - Scuderi, Mitchell, Greene - Holtby's had Tom Poti, Mike Green, John Carlson, Roman Hamrlik... his play in the postseason holding the fort against top competition is why I'm so high on him. I know he isn't 'better' than Quick, but I don't think he's disqualified from advancing in a playoff series when his defense is better than shitty.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Bow Tie
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 10 times

Post #28 by Bow Tie » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:59 pm

It's more a matter of experience than talent. Not many goalies his age get to this stage of the playdowns. I think goalie is the most difficult, mentally demanding position in sports, and Quick has shown he can be nails
pedrospecialk
Registered Broad

Post #29 by pedrospecialk » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:11 pm

No argument there. I'm just of the opinion that Holtby could be über nails with a proper defense :danson:
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #30 by mayoradamwest » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:19 pm

pedrospecialk wrote:No argument there. I'm just of the opinion that Holtby could be über nails with a proper defense :danson:

This LA team has a better d than any LA team has had. Which should also make Quick better. I took only top 2 guys in reality for my top 4.

Also, Pedro wears a stupid hat.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #31 by mayoradamwest » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Cao wrote:Lundqvis, Schneider, Rask...

All below quick. Especially Schneider. Geeze, that dude isn't even a starter on his own team.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #32 by mayoradamwest » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:21 pm

I should further point to Pedro's hat.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #33 by Cao » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:42 pm

mayoradamwest wrote:All below quick. Especially Schneider. Geeze, that dude isn't even a starter on his own team.

Just because devils fans can't let go of Marty doesn't mean that Schneider isn't the starter

im still sad about it :(

ps like all of the goalies I listed have better save percentages at even strength
flâ·neur
Registered Broad

Post #34 by flâ·neur » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:26 pm

Cao wrote:Just because devils fans can't let go of Marty doesn't mean that Schneider isn't the starter

im still sad about it :(

ps like all of the goalies I listed have better save percentages at even strength

We'll start Brodeur (Lou and DeBoer have said so) but I would put a lot of money on it that Schneider ends up playing more games.

Return to “GAMBLOR”