I actually just bought a coffee
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 65 times
Received rep: 82 times

Re: stock tok etc.

Post #1753 by Ricard_Persson » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:25 am

A hot tip came in to the desk.

CNSX: HUGE

Insanely risky, closed at 38 cents yesterday.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 41 times
Received rep: 420 times

Post #1754 by Craig » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:26 am

But what's the upside?
Ricard_Persson

Post #1755 by Ricard_Persson » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:40 pm

Probably 200%-300%, I don't know. It's up 32% today.

I didn't buy any yet.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 41 times
Received rep: 420 times

Post #1756 by Craig » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:43 pm

... It's not....HUGE?
Ricard_Persson

Post #1757 by Ricard_Persson » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:06 pm

It could be huge. I've been slacking, have been 100% cash since selling SHOP a few months back. Missed a couple runs on RCH. HUGE is probably one that I should put a little bit in and forget about it. It's not on Stockcharts since it's new and small and it's weird, but it's like I can't "see" it unless I see the chart. I feel like I'm buying blind.

Speaking of charts Currency Exchange is crazy. So sideways and so even every day since May. It's gotta go to the next level soon. It's got a great base at $30. And some large buys over the past while.

http://schrts.co/PTqe6f
Ricard_Persson

Post #1758 by Ricard_Persson » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:25 am

I guess I should have bought some HUGE.
Ricard_Persson

Post #1759 by Ricard_Persson » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:30 am

So I'll try and buy some HUGE at 40 cents. Not sure if it will get that low. Possibly. I don't like putting and order in but I think I will leave an order at 40 cents for a few days. A bit dangerous if it really tanks but long term 40 is safe,

Shopify with a nice breakout after in closed over $193 and now has leveled out the 50DMA. I should have bought, just didn't pull the trigger. I think it will probably run to test $232 for a third time.

http://schrts.co/jdNpBi
Ricard_Persson

Post #1760 by Ricard_Persson » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:07 am

I bought some more shopify. I don't know. It should go up? Chart looks decent? 4/20 is coming next month to Ontario so maybe the baked sales numbers will be better than expected.
Ricard_Persson

Post #1761 by Ricard_Persson » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:07 am

I bought some more shopify. I don't know. It should go up? Chart looks decent? 4/20 is coming next month to Ontario so maybe the baked sales numbers will be better than expected.
PredsFan77
Has given rep: 138 times
Received rep: 398 times

Post #1762 by PredsFan77 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:06 pm

CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1087 times
Received rep: 671 times

Post #1763 by Slick Nick » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:41 am

Ricard_Persson wrote:I bought some more shopify. I don't know. It should go up? Chart looks decent? 4/20 is coming next month to Ontario so maybe the baked sales numbers will be better than expected.

Hindsight is 20/20 but the chart looked pretty bad on sept 19th...

double topped, MACD way off, TD sequential 7, heading for resistance.. you should be buying breakouts or support, never potential breakouts after a double top, you bought straight into resistance.

visit me at http://www.MSpaintcharts.net
PredsFan77

Post #1764 by PredsFan77 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:56 am

Wtf is a sequential 7
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
PredsFan77

Post #1765 by PredsFan77 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:56 am

Also the double top and declining MACD (or RSI) is called divergence
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #1766 by Slick Nick » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:06 am

PredsFan77 wrote:Also the double top and declining MACD (or RSI) is called divergence

Didn't want to get too technical.

PredsFan77 wrote:Wtf is a sequential 7

Tom Demark sequential indicator... not the best indicator but I always found it helpful to visualize momentum.

Daily Shopify chart: The red lines are "red nines" and indicate buying opportunities... pretty much indicates seller exhaustion. Tomorrow is going to be a "red nine", technically a good buy but the market looks very much like it's about to take a dump... pretty much every major stock is on or near a red nine..next few days are going to be make or break for the whole market.

Dog
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1828 times
Received rep: 1212 times

Post #1767 by Dog » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:50 pm

Guys, you peeps are basically doing horoscopes.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #1768 by Slick Nick » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:11 pm

Dog wrote:Guys, you peeps are basically doing horoscopes.

I came to the conclusion that indicators are pretty much self fulfilling prophecy.. if everyone uses them, then they dictate the market. If every one sees that the RSI is way overbought, people start selling and the price falls, then when it's way oversold, people start buying... if you're cautious and patient, use stop losses, then you will make more better trades. This being said, long term investment is a different thing, but weekly and monthly charts are helpful to find a good entry point.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #1769 by Slick Nick » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:18 pm

DJI weekly with TD:

Every buy signal except for one (2008 crash) was a great entry point, same for Shopify, same for pretty much every FANG. While people are panic selling because the market is dropping, you're waiting patiently for a buy signal, buy, set a stop loss about 10% lower than your entry point. It's a better way of trading than just buying whatever you feel is a good investement without any actual idea of where the market should be heading. If you have 5 or 6 indicators telling you it's a really good time to buy, well, it should be... if it goes lower, then you lost 10% and wait to find another opportunity.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #1770 by Slick Nick » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:55 am

Slick Nick wrote:
Dog wrote:Had a quick look at ICOs. Seems like the stupidest way to invest (unless you have money to launder).

I invested some dust in this one...

https://windingtree.com

wish I invested more than some measly dust..

They just added KLM, SuissAir and Austrian as partners... probably money laundering and stuff.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1771 by Dog » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:57 am

Slick Nick wrote:

I came to the conclusion that indicators are pretty much self fulfilling prophecy.. if everyone uses them, then they dictate the market. If every one sees that the RSI is way overbought, people start selling and the price falls, then when it's way oversold, people start buying... if you're cautious and patient, use stop losses, then you will make more better trades. This being said, long term investment is a different thing, but weekly and monthly charts are helpful to find a good entry point.

No doubt prices are about future expectations and psychology plays a large part into that. That said, it still doesn’t mean charts are effective. Lots of players out there, with the bulk being far more sophisticated institutionals. You’re right that the long term game is different. Long term, well diversified, geographically and by sector, on a market cap basis, you’re basically betting on capitalism surviving (which long term has to have earnings above inflation). Short term momentum trades, my take is that you’re unlikely to beat supercomputers transacting in miliseconds. Happy to be shown otherwise, as in studies showing a clustered outperformance from certain retail chart based traders over time (there is next to none for active fund managers and my understanding is that retail based investing returns even worse). There is a few « free lunches » in the public markets, but they are very costly (in terms of volume and time) to uncover and the market self corrects -opportunities quickly disapear as money pours in. In a world of massive multi-billion institutions with deep algorithms and powerful computers mining for arbitrage and other opportunities, I don’t think there are many free lunches left for retail investors to devine by looking at charts.

Could be wrong. Just sharing because to my understanding studies show this type of retail investing to not outperform a passive index strategy and I thought I’d share. Do with it as you will.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1772 by Dog » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:00 am

Slick Nick wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:
Dog wrote:Had a quick look at ICOs. Seems like the stupidest way to invest (unless you have money to launder).

I invested some dust in this one...

https://windingtree.com

wish I invested more than some measly dust..

They just added KLM, SuissAir and Austrian as partners... probably money laundering and stuff.

The problem with ICOs is that you are not buying an ownership stake in the company. A company’s earnings and assets (and thus value) is held by its shareholders. Coin issuances are issuances of thin air (without legal ownership rights). You can make money in stupid bubbles, just have to ensure tou aren’t the greater fool left holding the bag. Not my type of investing.
PredsFan77

Post #1773 by PredsFan77 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:00 pm

Dog wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:

No doubt prices are about future expectations and psychology plays a large part into that. That said, it still doesn’t mean charts are effective. Lots of players out there, with the bulk being far more sophisticated institutionals. You’re right that the long term game is different. Long term, well diversified, geographically and by sector, on a market cap basis, you’re basically betting on capitalism surviving (which long term has to have earnings above inflation). Short term momentum trades, my take is that you’re unlikely to beat supercomputers transacting in miliseconds. Happy to be shown otherwise, as in studies showing a clustered outperformance from certain retail chart based traders over time (there is next to none for active fund managers and my understanding is that retail based investing returns even worse). There is a few « free lunches » in the public markets, but they are very costly (in terms of volume and time) to uncover and the market self corrects -opportunities quickly disapear as money pours in. In a world of massive multi-billion institutions with deep algorithms and powerful computers mining for arbitrage and other opportunities, I don’t think there are many free lunches left for retail investors to devine by looking at charts.

Could be wrong. Just sharing because to my understanding studies show this type of retail investing to not outperform a passive index strategy and I thought I’d share. Do with it as you will.

THIS IS THE FUTURE, BUY BUY BUY BUY
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Ricard_Persson

Post #1774 by Ricard_Persson » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:38 pm

Yes, I missed SHOP this time for sure. Just checked in this morning. Missing and then getting complacent is a bad combo. Would have liked to have got out before the 200. Now we'll see. I should have stuck with my gut, but did like that it bounced up from $172 three times.

Oh well. We'll see if it can level off here.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 362 times
Received rep: 171 times

Post #1775 by mayoradamwest » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:43 pm

I'm debating investing in a burrito, or some type of sushi delivered. My sandwich heavy portfolio has never let me down.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #1776 by Slick Nick » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Dog wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:

I'm not day trading.. I've done it for a couple of months and it was one of the most depressing activities I've done in my life. It's almost the same as gambling. I prefer swing trading, hold a couple of days/weeks. Basically just find a nice entry point on a pullback, sell higher and rebuy on the next dip, basically accumulating... and charting is very helpful for this. The goal is not to beat anyone, but to make better trades. Like not buy Shopify when every indicator tells you not to. High frequency trading is really about skimming nanocents on each transaction, big institutional buyers buy on longer time frames and they use pretty much the same indicators that any joebloe can use at home. I would use passive strategy if I had a large sum of money to invest, for the amounts I've put in, I'm trying to make higher returns..
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #1777 by Slick Nick » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:04 pm

Dog wrote:
The problem with ICOs is that you are not buying an ownership stake in the company. A company’s earnings and assets (and thus value) is held by its shareholders. Coin issuances are issuances of thin air (without legal ownership rights). You can make money in stupid bubbles, just have to ensure tou aren’t the greater fool left holding the bag. Not my type of investing.

Sooner than later you will buy your stocks the same way I buy my coins.. it's inevitable. The stakes will be attached by smart contracts, it will just become much more easy to gain access to the markets. The problem is that the tech is really not ready yet.. Had great expectations for this year, but no significant progress has been made; still no scaling, still security issues, still unfriendly as fuck to use. I think we're still 5 to 10 years away from it being ubiquitous. And, yes, there's a very valid point that as of now I'm really just holding strings of letters and numbers, but if those coins are used by the companies involved in the ecosystem, then they have some value...
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #1778 by Slick Nick » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:07 pm

Was reading about Tom DeMark indicators.. and found a new tool of his, looks super helpful and much more intuitive than EMAs and RSIs.

The range expansion index (REI) is a technical indicator used in the technical analysis of financial markets. It is intended to chart the relative strength or weakness of a trading vehicle based on the comparison of the recent price changes and the overall price changes for the period.

The REI can be classified as a momentum oscillator, measuring the velocity and magnitude of directional price movements. The REI shows overbought/oversold price conditions by measuring the relation between the sum of "strong" price changes (such that form a trend) and all price changes for the period.

The REI is most typically used on an 8 day timeframe. It changes on a scale from −100 to +100, with the overbought and oversold levels marked at +60 and −60, respectively.

if the indicator value exceeds the +60 level and then falls below it, a signal to sell is generated. If the indicator value moves below the -60 level and then surges above it, a signal to buy is generated.

The red lines I drew indicate the moment the REI dipped under the the 60 level after surging above it. Indicating selling.
The green lines are the opposite, indicating buying.

Crazy how astrology helps time the market. Wish I found about REI sooner.. always had trouble making sense of RSIs and MACDs... trying to spot divergences, this thing does the job for you.

Following religiously REI in that period: 135% gains
Passive: 16% gains
Gut feeling buys: -13% gains.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #1779 by Slick Nick » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:30 am

Thomas DeMark is the founder and CEO of DeMark Analytics, LLC,[1] creator of the DeMark Indicators, and has been a special consultant to Steven A. Cohen of Point 72 Asset Management, formerly known as S.A.C. Capital Advisors,[2] for 20 years.[3][4][5] DeMark's indicators are used in the market timing and technical analysis of financial markets. Some of his indicators include the following: Sequential, Combo, Setup, Setup Trend, Countdown, Range Expansion Index, D-Wave, TD Lines, Differential and Camouflage.[3][4][5] DeMark’s recent stock market predictions include having forecast months in advance the October 4, 2011 US market bottom to within 1 point of the exact low[6][7] and the precise Shanghai Composite market low on December 4, 2012,[8] precise subsequent February 6, 2013 high,[9] then June low[10] and September 2013 high to the exact day.[11]

DeMark received his B.A. and M.B.A. in Wisconsin and attended law school there as well from 1965 through 1972.[3] From 1972 to 1978, DeMark was an officer of National Investment Services (NIS), a multibillion-dollar pension fund manager. From 1979 to 1982, he was president of Financial Markets Consulting, a market-timing consulting subsidiary of NIS. In 1982, DeMark founded DeMark Investment Advisory, an advisor to many of the largest and most successful hedge funds, fund managers, mutual funds, and investment counseling firms. His clients included George Soros, Goldman Sachs, Union Carbide, IBM, Minnesota Mining, Steinhardt Partners, Atlantic Richfield, First Investors, Hoisington Investment, among many others. In 1988, DeMark became executive vice president of Tudor (Paul Tudor Jones), a multibillion-dollar hedge fund. In 1990, DeMark established a partnership with Chicago Board of Trade Treasury Bond legend[12] Charlie DiFrancesca ("Charlie D"). In 1990, DeMark and multibillion-dollar fund manager Van Hoisington[13][14] formed Devan Futures. In 1994, DeMark served as special advisor to Leon Cooperman, a $5 billion hedge fund manager. At the same time, DeMark formed Market Studies, a provider of DeMark's suite of market-timing software to data vendors, such as Bloomberg and CQG.[5][15] Formerly, DeMark was Chairman of Logical Information Machines (LIM).

Return to “Le mur de messages”