Institutional Racism vs. Black People GDT

..et d'autres discussions ennuyeuses
User avatar
pk shredz
Registered Broad
Posts: 35254
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:31 pm
Location: Long Island, NY
Has given rep: 2484 times
Received rep: 1207 times

Post #251 by pk shredz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:16 pm

dempsey_k wrote:No shred you can stay I like you now. If you piss people off all the better.


Shouldn't be too hard.

[TWEET]537351323105390592[/TWEET]

[TWEET]537200266005983232[/TWEET]
User avatar
pk shredz
Registered Broad
Posts: 35254
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:31 pm
Location: Long Island, NY
Has given rep: 2484 times
Received rep: 1207 times

Post #252 by pk shredz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:18 pm

mooseOAK wrote:Shredder posts:



with comment:



From YouTube comment section:



The other two will need to wait for a bit but there was video of Ukraine soldiers being trained, turned out to be old. And, I believe some tank vidoes.


*locks windows and deadbolts*
User avatar
mcphee
Registered Broad
Posts: 13621
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:27 am
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 457 times

Post #253 by mcphee » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:26 pm

Shredder wrote:McPhee is solid. Now for MooseOak and his accusation. If he can find three times this has happened, I'll give dempsey the honor of banning me with the conditions of no coming back as an alt. Spice it up a bit.


I'm glad AD is here to express my deep but unexpressed feelings. The way info gets reported is something that I tend to note . I do t have a problem with you. Not like that ducking Dog
senate
Registered Broad
Posts: 10751
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:36 am
Has given rep: 262 times
Received rep: 495 times

Post #254 by senate » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:44 pm

Image
senate
Registered Broad
Posts: 10751
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:36 am
Has given rep: 262 times
Received rep: 495 times

Post #255 by senate » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:48 pm

Image
User avatar
MP
Registered Broad
Posts: 15644
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: :uoıʇɐɔoן
Has given rep: 145 times
Received rep: 384 times

Post #256 by MP » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:49 pm

senate wrote:Image


He only shoots him once in that gif...
Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad
Posts: 3344
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:55 pm
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 9 times

Post #257 by Bernie Bernbaum » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:13 pm

b
Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad
Posts: 3344
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:55 pm
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 9 times

Post #258 by Bernie Bernbaum » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:51 pm

r
Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad
Posts: 3344
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:55 pm
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 9 times

Post #259 by Bernie Bernbaum » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:53 pm

i
User avatar
mcphee
Registered Broad
Posts: 13621
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:27 am
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 457 times

Post #260 by mcphee » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:11 pm

dempsey_k wrote:The silver lining, well, there is no silver lining. But in a Medgar Evers watershed moment kind of way, there simply is no defense any longer for being party to institutional racism like this. Shit changed last night.


In which way ? In that the result and how it was arrived at was so public ?
User avatar
mcphee
Registered Broad
Posts: 13621
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:27 am
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 457 times

Post #261 by mcphee » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:13 pm

It's kind of like the last line of The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll but that was written 50 years ago
User avatar
mcphee
Registered Broad
Posts: 13621
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:27 am
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 457 times

Post #262 by mcphee » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:21 pm

dempsey_k wrote:Like the water shaking in Jurassic Park. Trayvon was the first step, this was the second, and whoa now there's a T-Rex above us.


Ok. I was curious as to why this one not that one.

I remember reading Malcolm X's book when I was in Grade 10. A fucking long time ago. I was so impressed by the whole evolution of his thinking. I kind of thought things would be different by now
User avatar
PredsFan77
Posts: 17442
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:53 am
Location: 7 TIME LOUNGE JEOPARDY CHAMP!!!
Has given rep: 157 times
Received rep: 517 times

Post #263 by PredsFan77 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:37 pm

hey guys. Just setting my DVR, when are the riots tonight? I hope Don is ready for another war zone!
CDX.NA.IG.9









[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
User avatar
Jaymz
Registered Broad
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:31 am
Received rep: 2 times

Post #264 by Jaymz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:55 pm

mcphee wrote:Ok. I was curious as to why this one not that one.

I remember reading Malcolm X's book when I was in Grade 10. A fucking long time ago. I was so impressed by the whole evolution of his thinking. I kind of thought things would be different by now


I'll be honest, after reading a bunch of things about the inequality in the US...MLK was a great man, but an idealist. Malcolm X was right...and I hate being so bloody dramatic, but things really have to change.
User avatar
pk shredz
Registered Broad
Posts: 35254
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:31 pm
Location: Long Island, NY
Has given rep: 2484 times
Received rep: 1207 times

Post #265 by pk shredz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:36 pm

Image

I'm gonna guess he wasn't too fond of Freddy Brathwaite. Or owned a Bryce Salvador t-shirt.
Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad
Posts: 3344
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:55 pm
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 9 times

Post #266 by Bernie Bernbaum » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:38 pm

c
Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad
Posts: 3344
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:55 pm
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 9 times

Post #267 by Bernie Bernbaum » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:38 pm

m
User avatar
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Posts: 10816
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:38 pm
Has given rep: 419 times
Received rep: 243 times

Post #268 by mayoradamwest » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:42 pm

I don't imagine anything's gonna really change. At least until current generations die off and are replaced with more tolerant versions of us. :dunno:
User avatar
zamboner
Registered Broad
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:32 am
Received rep: 5 times

Post #269 by zamboner » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:15 am

[YOUTUBE]tWUkBxmFUvU[/YOUTUBE]

Someone help Dad embed this.
senate
Registered Broad
Posts: 10751
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:36 am
Has given rep: 262 times
Received rep: 495 times

Post #270 by senate » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:18 am

zamboner wrote:[YOUTUBE]tWUkBxmFUvU[/YOUTUBE]


Someone help Dad embed this.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7130
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 10 times
Received rep: 134 times

Post #271 by jester » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:39 am

dempsey_k wrote:Have read studies that whites in the south have gotten more racist each generation.


Wait, what?
User avatar
mcphee
Registered Broad
Posts: 13621
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:27 am
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 457 times

Post #272 by mcphee » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:21 am

jester wrote:Wait, what?


Through all of this the most disturbing thing that I've seen was the group of soccer Mom's on a terrasse explaining how the country shouldn't look at those animals in Ferguson as representative of St.Louis.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7130
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 10 times
Received rep: 134 times

Post #273 by jester » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:24 am

mcphee wrote:Through all of this the most disturbing thing that I've seen was the group of soccer Mom's on a terrasse explaining how the country shouldn't look at those animals in Ferguson as representative of St.Louis.


Oh, I'm not disputing the existence of racism (latent and active). But I don't buy that racism is on the rise.
User avatar
mcphee
Registered Broad
Posts: 13621
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:27 am
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 457 times

Post #274 by mcphee » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:30 am

jester wrote:Oh, I'm not disputing the existence of racism (latent and active). But I don't buy that racism is on the rise.
I was brought up in Montreal, I'm 59. In high school, when we started becoming aware of the world outside , we were aware that sometimes our parents used words and had attitudes that we were taught not to have. We always downplayed this stuff and figured that , yeah Dad says this, but he'd never treat anyone with disrespect. That's always been a rule of thumb.

So the people I know, let's say born from 52-58, the idea of racism is abhorrent to them. They'd be ashamed hearing that from their kids. I hear stuff from kids now, well kids to me is birth - 30, but I hear stuff I hadn't before. Maybe it's geographical and I'm more apt to see a news report than I would've a generation ago. I think there's probably a big difference between institutional and social racism.
User avatar
AD
Posts: 24003
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:30 pm
Location: Here
Has given rep: 623 times
Received rep: 728 times

Post #275 by AD » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:36 am

Agist.
User avatar
mcphee
Registered Broad
Posts: 13621
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:27 am
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 457 times

Post #276 by mcphee » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:37 am

Dog wrote:I actually thought mcphee was older than that.
I'm young enough to fucking kneecap you then take your lovely wife out for an evening of ballroom dancing.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7130
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 10 times
Received rep: 134 times

Post #277 by jester » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:40 am

mcphee wrote:I was brought up in Montreal, I'm 59. In high school, when we started becoming aware of the world outside , we were aware that sometimes our parents used words and had attitudes that we were taught not to have. We always downplayed this stuff and figured that , yeah Dad says this, but he'd never treat anyone with disrespect. That's always been a rule of thumb.

So the people I know, let's say born from 52-58, the idea of racism is abhorrent to them. They'd be ashamed hearing that from their kids. I hear stuff from kids now, well kids to me is birth - 30, but I hear stuff I hadn't before. Maybe it's geographical and I'm more apt to see a news report than I would've a generation ago. I think there's probably a big difference between institutional and social racism.


Well, to be clear, when I think on racism ... I think on a scale dating from the slave era forward.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7130
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 10 times
Received rep: 134 times

Post #278 by jester » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:56 am

Dog wrote:I have a hard time thinking people are, on average, more racist today than decades ago. Anybody have any solid data?

Would be interesting to know why if that were the case -a backlash against progressive teaching?


I would not be shocked to see periods of waxing and waning in response to certain events (i.e. rioting like in Ferguson, or the Rodney King riots, etc.). In short, micro-level stuff. At any sort of macro-level, I cannot imagine that any part of the US can be viewed as "more" racist, however. Race remains a terribly divisive entity in US society, but (largely because of our history) that is also tied into economic class divisiveness, etc. ... which now is a mutually reinforcing vicious circle.

I mean, lets be real, a man expressing the views of Thomas Jefferson today would not be acceptable as a mainstream politician ... let alone POTUS.
User avatar
mcphee
Registered Broad
Posts: 13621
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:27 am
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 457 times

Post #279 by mcphee » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:57 am

jester wrote:Well, to be clear, when I think on racism ... I think on a scale dating from the slave era forward.



When Demps posted something last night, I replied kind of negatively towards progress in that regard. I got thinking about it, and I'm not sure how best to explain it. I like to watch music documentaries. I was watching one currently on HBO about James Brown, and I was unaware of his connection to civil rights activities, and I had to explain to the kids watching with me that you need to understand where we were at that time to understand the points that were being made. So of course there's been all kinds of progress, but for every area that there is, you have to look at it.

Yes you can vote but we'll do our damndest to make sure you don't register. Today.

It seems that there is social acceptance as long as black people try and act more like white people, but not 100% because they're more fun at parties.
User avatar
mcphee
Registered Broad
Posts: 13621
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:27 am
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 457 times

Post #280 by mcphee » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:58 am

Dog wrote:I have a hard time thinking people are, on average, more racist today than decades ago. Anybody have any solid data?

Would be interesting to know why if that were the case -a backlash against progressive teaching?


I think the discussion is framed by geography. Someone raised in Boston during the busing riots has different attitudes than one from the mean streets of Villeray.
User avatar
mcphee
Registered Broad
Posts: 13621
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:27 am
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 457 times

Post #281 by mcphee » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:01 am

jester wrote:I would not be shocked to see periods of waxing and waning in response to certain events (i.e. rioting like in Ferguson, or the Rodney King riots, etc.). In short, micro-level stuff. At any sort of macro-level, I cannot imagine that any part of the US can be viewed as "more" racist, however. Race remains a terribly divisive entity in US society, but (largely because of our history) that is also tied into economic class divisiveness, etc. ... which now is a mutually reinforcing vicious circle.

I mean, lets be real, a man expressing the views of Thomas Jefferson today would not be acceptable as a mainstream politician ... let alone POTUS.


I'm sure there's been shit written about this but a power base, mainly but not exclusively white, remains a power base by keeping those without power, or $, in their place. So fueling trailer park whites to hate housing project blacks keeps the old chain secure doesn't it ?
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7130
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 10 times
Received rep: 134 times

Post #282 by jester » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:09 am

mcphee wrote:When Demps posted something last night, I replied kind of negatively towards progress in that regard. I got thinking about it, and I'm not sure how best to explain it. I like to watch music documentaries. I was watching one currently on HBO about James Brown, and I was unaware of his connection to civil rights activities, and I had to explain to the kids watching with me that you need to understand where we were at that time to understand the points that were being made. So of course there's been all kinds of progress, but for every area that there is, you have to look at it.

Yes you can vote but we'll do our damndest to make sure you don't register. Today.

It seems that there is social acceptance as long as black people try and act more like white people, but not 100% because they're more fun at parties.


You absolutely have to look at it, and we are far from perfect. I think it sanitizes the past considerably to not recognize just how far we have come, however. I also think modern US racism has become closely linked with economic class antagonism, which has a very long history in our British intellectual heritage. This is not to dismiss the existence of pure racism, and the very real institutional and systemic racism that plagues the US. It is important, however, to recognize the shift that has taken place over the past few centuries and continues to evolve.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7130
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 10 times
Received rep: 134 times

Post #283 by jester » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:17 am

mcphee wrote:I'm sure there's been shit written about this but a power base, mainly but not exclusively white, remains a power base by keeping those without power, or $, in their place. So fueling trailer park whites to hate housing project blacks keeps the old chain secure doesn't it ?


One of the key arguments in Edmund Morgan's American Slavery, American Freedom concerns the systematic and cynical cultivation of racism by white plantation owners among poor whites (mostly talking Virginia here, in the 18th c.). When I teach on this subject matter, it's always fun to read that book (somewhat old now), because it gets at some very interesting aspects of US culture that distinguished it from the British mother ship. In Europe, the dominant social divisions revolved around class for a very, very long time. In the slave societies of the West Indies and US South, the societal glue could not be class based due to the threat posed by slaves ... so the elite bound poor whites to them through racism: "you may be poor, but you are not a slave and you are not black!"

Fast forward to Richard Nixon exploiting the same basic political dynamics to win over the US South, and you have the modern GOP.
User avatar
mcphee
Registered Broad
Posts: 13621
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:27 am
Has given rep: 161 times
Received rep: 457 times

Post #284 by mcphee » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:06 am

jester wrote:One of the key arguments in Edmund Morgan's American Slavery, American Freedom concerns the systematic and cynical cultivation of racism by white plantation owners among poor whites (mostly talking Virginia here, in the 18th c.). When I teach on this subject matter, it's always fun to read that book (somewhat old now), because it gets at some very interesting aspects of US culture that distinguished it from the British mother ship. In Europe, the dominant social divisions revolved around class for a very, very long time. In the slave societies of the West Indies and US South, the societal glue could not be class based due to the threat posed by slaves ... so the elite bound poor whites to them through racism: "you may be poor, but you are not a slave and you are not black!"

Fast forward to Richard Nixon exploiting the same basic political dynamics to win over the US South, and you have the modern GOP.


You that's kind of what I wanted to say. Racism as racism is kind of stupid, and accumulation of wealth and power must take some smarts, [I wouldn't know for sure], so racism becomes a powerful tool.
User avatar
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:50 pm
Has given rep: 176 times
Received rep: 562 times

Post #285 by Dr_Chimera » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:24 am

Midtown Atlanta swarming with cops this morning. Helicopters were in the sky.

Because Wells Fargo got a couple of windows smashed during a protest. Our corporate friends and neighbors so inconvenienced.
User avatar
jester
Registered Broad
Posts: 7130
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm
Has given rep: 10 times
Received rep: 134 times

Post #286 by jester » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:46 am

I don't know about today (weather is complete shit here), but last night Philadelphia cops were out en masse in Center City.
User avatar
NyQuil
Registered Broad
Posts: 4260
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:45 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 11 times

Post #287 by NyQuil » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:21 pm

I want to hear about Witness 48.

"Shit, sorry, I was remembering an episode of Blue Bloods."
User avatar
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Posts: 24015
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 1:45 pm
Has given rep: 346 times
Received rep: 544 times

Post #288 by clawfirst » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:31 pm

OK I want to hear witness 45's story.
Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad
Posts: 3344
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:55 pm
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 9 times

Post #289 by Bernie Bernbaum » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:34 pm

.
User avatar
NyQuil
Registered Broad
Posts: 4260
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:45 am
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 11 times

Post #290 by NyQuil » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:39 pm

The fiction of manners
User avatar
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:50 pm
Has given rep: 176 times
Received rep: 562 times

Post #291 by Dr_Chimera » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:43 pm

embracedbias wrote:I should also mention that this woman once budged in front of me while lining up for a drink during a conference.


I myself have been known to hobnob with superstars of various kinds of interpretive communities.
User avatar
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Posts: 24015
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 1:45 pm
Has given rep: 346 times
Received rep: 544 times

Post #292 by clawfirst » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:52 pm

I watched five minutes of that shit EB. she should not speak in public. text only.
User avatar
PredsFan77
Posts: 17442
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:53 am
Location: 7 TIME LOUNGE JEOPARDY CHAMP!!!
Has given rep: 157 times
Received rep: 517 times

Post #293 by PredsFan77 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:27 pm

SHOOT FIRST ASK QUESTIONS SECOND
User avatar
pk shredz
Registered Broad
Posts: 35254
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:31 pm
Location: Long Island, NY
Has given rep: 2484 times
Received rep: 1207 times

Post #294 by pk shredz » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:27 pm

Image

I should probably de-friend, right?

Return to “Le mur de messages”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest