Gamer Gate (d_k is a self-loathing misandrist, but at least he's not Ernie)

..et d'autres discussions ennuyeuses
Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 117 times
Received rep: 83 times

Re: Gamer Gate (d_k is a self-loathing misandrist, but at least he's not Ernie)

Post #551 by Germz » Thu May 12, 2016 2:43 pm

Chaos Reigns wrote:
Then you read Ovid and oh yah its about rape. Soon you have to ask what part of the museum isn't rape.

True. Most of the great literary classics are rapey. Ovid just gives you more bang for your buck because of the anthological structure.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 41 times
Received rep: 143 times

Post #552 by Whit Dickman » Thu May 12, 2016 11:29 pm

Chaos Reigns wrote:
Whit Dickman wrote:But the trigger warning is one of the word combinations, dk.

Kiiiind of true, but to some extent that's the unpredictability of college climates that wish to remain harmful or not. Reasonable expectation. If I were a prof teaching Ovid I'd feel uncomfortable diving right in without a big ol TW, but if student orgs moved to ban it from campus or get me fired for teaching it, I'd fight that. I guess that's where I'd draw the line.

I think most would agree (including Fry, etc.)... the problem is determining where the line is. This is a very difficult task, unfortunately.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 41 times
Received rep: 143 times

Post #553 by Whit Dickman » Thu May 12, 2016 11:36 pm

Germz wrote:Trigger warnings may be nonsense much of the time but I think they are historically useful nonsense. So many young progressives seem obsessed with the idea of empathy as a social good. Hence the election of a Canadian PM with 'emotional intelligence'. And I do think that empathy is a social good. Yes, they are probably too obsessed. Yes, some of them are more interested in narcissism and self-aggrandizement under the guise of empathy. Young people do and say stupid things when they get ideologically invested in something they deem to be meaningful. 60s radicals did and said the stupidest things. The stupidest. And contemporary progressives have chosen to make empathy meaningful.

You can be on the right side of history and still be an idiot. That's youth culture at its best. The idiot part is pretty inevitable; the right side of history part is not.

I'm sympathetic to this point. The irony is that the SJW crowd is on the right side of history... but so are the rationalist atheists that so often argue with them. Perhaps, ultimately we need each other for the discourse to move along in the correct general direction.
Sturminator
Registered Broad
Received rep: 8 times

Post #554 by Sturminator » Fri May 13, 2016 3:01 am

I like this bit:

Speaking out about abuse is a social faux pas. It's tacky; it's childish; it's attention seeking. You see, in order for the establishment to keep their power, victims of abuse must remain silent.

Ah..."the establishment"...everyone's favorite villain. It's so refreshing to see left and right finally on the same page, railing against the selfsame boogeyman. If we could only find these dirty establishment-types, I'd suggest a good round of beheadings.

This "decolonize our feels" narrative which rhetorically sets western colonialism at the heart of all human suffering is such a sad, reductive cul de sac. This girl talks about the need for people to "develop a language to talk about their experiences of marginalization", and then breaks out "colonialism" in a discussion of 21st century, mainland British social problems, as if colonialism had any but the most tangential relation to child abuse and homophobia. Way to "develop a language" there, sister. Colonialism does have something to do with racism, obviously, but this trick of pulling all the various banners of leftist grievance under the umbrella of anti-colonialism is more than a little bit stale.

In an argument from free speech, I'd have hoped for perspectives just a tad bit fresher, not just from this girl, but from the movement, as a whole. Do young people spouting this stuff not realize that this narrative is already old and creaky, practically an academic lemon party at this point? Do they not understand that, insofar as there is an "establishment" in academia, that they are actually supporting its worldview? Is it brave to "stand up and fight" where you have already won, are already in the majority? This girl doesn't study in Missouri or Johannesburg, and the victim card doesn't inspire empathy in all contexts. She definitely has sick boilerplate rhetorical skills, though, I'll give her that.

Regarding Ovid and the western canon...maybe the wise thing to do would simply be to teach the history of the west again on college campuses, with a great big trigger warning at the beginning that all of human history is traumatic in one way or another, so, before you open an old book, pull yourself together a bit. Is that unreasonable? The events in Ovid shouldn't be surprising to anyone with any sense who has not read the story, but knows the first thing about ancient Rome. Trauma warnings in academia aren't necessary for students who are not sheltered fools. The needed "warning" here should be implicit to any properly educated western university student.
Sturminator
Registered Broad
Received rep: 8 times

Post #555 by Sturminator » Fri May 13, 2016 10:09 am

Chaos Reigns wrote:
Sturminator wrote: Do they not understand that, insofar as there is an "establishment" in academia, that they are actually supporting its worldview?

Not necessarily true anywhere except maybe Oberlin. Faculties are mostly failibs.

I presume this is the leftist version of a RINO? I'm glad there is a word for that.
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 416 times
Received rep: 236 times

Post #556 by vf » Fri May 13, 2016 12:16 pm

I hate acronyms. Can we all agree on that?
TGR
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 17 times
Received rep: 25 times

Post #557 by TGR » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:30 pm

Not gaming related, but I found this on a GitHub repository.

A few words on diversity in tech

I need to take some of your time. I can't believe we let shit like the Kathy Sierra incident or what happened to Brianna Wu happen over and over again. I can't believe we, the open source community, let sexist, misogynous shit happen over and over again.

I strongly believe that it is my — and your — duty to make the open source community, as well as the tech community at large, a community where everyone feel welcome and is accepted. At the very minimum, that means making sure the community and its forums both are safe, and are perceived as safe. It means being friendly and inclusive, even when you disagree with people. It means not shrugging off discussions about sexism and inclusiveness with handwaving about censorship and free speech. For a more elaborate document on what that means, the NPM Code of Conduct is a good start, Geek Feminism's resources for allies contains much more.

While I can't force anyone to do anything, if you happen to disagree with this, I ask of you not to use any of the open source I have published. Nor am I interested in contributions from people who can't accept or act respectfully towards other humans regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, religion, age, physical appearance, body size, race, or similar personal characteristics. If you think feminism, anti-racism or the LGBT movement is somehow wrong, disturbing or irrelevant, I ask you to go elsewhere to find software.

:superghey:
Retardé S
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 821 times
Received rep: 736 times

Post #558 by Retardé S » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:06 pm

Awful business decision
TGR
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 17 times
Received rep: 25 times

Post #559 by TGR » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:14 am

The guy is from Sweden so I'm not overly surprised.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 803 times
Received rep: 504 times

Post #560 by Slick Nick » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:41 am

My favorite feminist of all times.

Retardé S
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 821 times
Received rep: 736 times

Post #561 by Retardé S » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:18 am

I think the correct term is SJW now. They've evolved.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #562 by Slick Nick » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:44 pm

Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #563 by Slick Nick » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:02 am

Any alpha cuckholds here?

g-g-guys fb friend me.

Return to “Le mur de messages”