You're an incumbent PM in an election year, JT. Show some goddamn backbone.

..et d'autres discussions ennuyeuses
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 263 times
Received rep: 498 times

Re: Maybe a joke about Bill Morneau

Post #3501 by senate » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:48 pm

Dog wrote:Provincial funding?

During the his provincial budget response speech in March, Doug Ford promised to eliminate funding to the CBC even though the CBC receives no funding from the Ontario government.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 245 times
Received rep: 160 times

Post #3502 by The Bytown Boozer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:53 pm

THE STANLEY CUP IS IN THE BUILDING!!!!!!!!!
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 426 times
Received rep: 257 times

Post #3503 by mayoradamwest » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:56 pm

Who was the last drug trafficking premier?
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #3504 by The Bytown Boozer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:57 pm

mayoradamwest wrote:Who was the last drug trafficking premier?

W.A.C. Bennett
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #3505 by mayoradamwest » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:57 pm

Dog wrote:
senate wrote:
Dog wrote:But that’s the root of it. Voting conservative can be a perfectly valid choice. The issue is with the grassroots going for right wing populists the world over and then moderates rallying in sufficient numbers post fact (ie. not my kind of guy, but lol not gonna risk paying more taxes).

Psychological studies suggest that conservatism is rooted in fear. I blame the rise of right wing populism on the anti-bullying initiatives. Cowardly men, women, and especially children should be mercilessly be bullied in person, online, and by bricks thrown through their windows until they become brave and, by extension, progressive.

I don’t think I buy that other than in the sense that the attitude towards change/unkown is certainly important in the conservative/progressive divide. But I wouldn’t say there is a right and wrong position in the abstract there. Depends relating to what. Just as too much of a reactionary reflex is bad, so is a unthinking change. Things should be debated and people should chose.

But that’s not what we’re getting with these populists. It’s ANGRY. It’s crass. It’s a rejection of an order. It’s « other people’s fault ».

I can’t for the life of me really pinpoint cause. Could simply be multifaceted. Cultural and economic.

I also wonder if people aren’t just becoming whiny little bitches. Some over individualistic mindless demanding consumer mentality. Never satisfied. Not patient. Demanding. Unreasonable.

People are catering to the angry whiners....
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #3506 by The Bytown Boozer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:59 pm

Although who knows what Daniel Johnson Jr got up to during the wee hours of the morning...
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3507 by senate » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:03 pm

Tommy Douglas discovered krokodil.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1201 times
Received rep: 757 times

Post #3508 by Slick Nick » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:37 pm

Maybe if the left was not exactly the same as the right + pushing social non-issues while calling everyone names

just brainstorming here
TittiesNBeer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 424 times
Received rep: 326 times

Post #3509 by TittiesNBeer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:05 am

Approximately 40% of voters went for the PCs. Lets be honest about what this is (and what it almost always is) a failure of our first past the post system to give a government that adequately represents the views of the electorate.

60% of people voted for leftist platforms and the far right won a majority government.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #3510 by Slick Nick » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:23 am

Dog wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:Maybe if the left was not exactly the same as the right + pushing social non-issues while calling everyone names

just brainstorming here

NOT MY FAULT YOU CAN’T DEAL WITH CHICKS WITH DICKS, NICK!

:danson:

You wanted answers, I'm giving you the answers... it as simple as that: care about the regular mens, stop calling everyone an ***ist or a ***phobe, stop deviding people along tribal lines (race, gender, rural/urban, etc), stop peddling nonsensical issues that less than 5% of the population is concerned or cares about, stop pushing the exact same neoliberal policies that the other side supports.

It's almost like you've learned nothing through the Trump election....

Oh, wait.. it was Putin and the 13 trolls.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #3511 by Slick Nick » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:24 am

TittiesNBeer wrote:Approximately 40% of voters went for the PCs. Lets be honest about what this is (and what it almost always is) a failure of our first past the post system to give a government that adequately represents the views of the electorate.

60% of people voted for leftist platforms and the far right won a majority government.

Lefties have been promising to bring a proportional system for 50 years already and every time they take the power, then back down. Who's to blame?
TittiesNBeer
Registered Broad

Re: RE: Re: Maybe a joke about Bill Morneau

Post #3512 by TittiesNBeer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:27 am

Slick Nick wrote:
TittiesNBeer wrote:Approximately 40% of voters went for the PCs. Lets be honest about what this is (and what it almost always is) a failure of our first past the post system to give a government that adequately represents the views of the electorate.

Lefties have been promising to bring a proportional system for 50 years already and every time they take the power, then back down. Who's to blame?
I agree... those who promise electoral reform and didnt do it are to blame.

Im just going to dogs point that there is this great far right uprising in ontario. There isn't. They got 40% of the popular vote. Its not even like trump where he was just a percentage point behind hilary. Its like 6-7% less of the popular vote than he had... and if we look at brexit like 10% less. Its just in this system its enough to get a majority of seats.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #3513 by Slick Nick » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:31 am

TittiesNBeer wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:

I agree... those who promise electoral reform and didnt do it are to blame.

Im just going to dogs point that there is this great far right uprising in ontario. There isn't. They got 40% of the popular vote. Its not even like trump where he was just a percentage point behind hilary. Its like 6-7% less of the popular vote than he had... and if we look at brexit like 10% less. Its just in this system its enough to get a majority of seats.

Yeah ok, but give me a break with your far right... what do you think will happen, concentration camps and anti-abortion laws? Like literally nothing of importance will happen, maybe some tax cuts and the defunding of useless far far far left think tanks.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #3514 by The Bytown Boozer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:37 am

Slick Nick wrote:Yeah ok, but give me a break with your far right... what do you think will happen, concentration camps and anti-abortion laws?

Same thing that always happens, they'll overspend while funneling wealth to those who already have it, causing the economy to go in the shitter. After that people may or may not lose their homes.

One thing's for certain, companies will make much more money. I mean we won't see any benefits of this as customers or as employees, but if you're a fan of hoarding money then this is a big win for you & your people.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #3515 by Slick Nick » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:43 am

The Bytown Boozer wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:Yeah ok, but give me a break with your far right... what do you think will happen, concentration camps and anti-abortion laws?

Same thing that always happens, they'll overspend while funneling wealth to those who already have it, causing the economy to go in the shitter. After that people may or may not lose their homes.

One thing's for certain, companies will make much more money. I mean we won't see any benefits of this as customers or as employees, but if you're a fan of hoarding money then this is a big win for you & your people.

Implying the liberals don't do the exact same thing while calling names

Trudeau is going to tear down the banks, the big oil and the oligarchies, please, boozeur...
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #3516 by The Bytown Boozer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:48 am

Slick Nick wrote:
The Bytown Boozer wrote:

Trudeau is going to tear down the banks, the big oil and the oligarchies, please, boozeur...

If your faulting Trudeau for not doing those things, I am with you. Doesn't make Doug Ford any less of an inept public servant.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #3517 by Slick Nick » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:57 am

The Bytown Boozer wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:
The Bytown Boozer wrote:

If your faulting Trudeau, I am with you. Doesn't make Doug Ford any less of an inept public servant.

I certainly preferred Harper to Trudeau
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #3518 by The Bytown Boozer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:14 am

Slick Nick wrote:
The Bytown Boozer wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:

If your faulting Trudeau, I am with you. Doesn't make Doug Ford any less of an inept public servant.

I certainly preferred Harper to Trudeau

You simply preferred the package that Harper came in. I guess some people would say that you preferred his "leadership style".

Regardless, their policies are interchangeable more often than not. At least on important matters.

I, for one, prefer Trudeau's "man of the people" shtick.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #3519 by The Bytown Boozer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:28 am

If I had to anoint a shtick to Stephen Harper it would be "weird conservative dad who was bullied as a child".
chicpea
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 925 times
Received rep: 659 times

Post #3520 by chicpea » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:33 am

Hey slim dick: Which part of Harper did you prefer? The rigging of elections or the pro-roguing of parliament when his government was about to collapse? How about the Fair Elections Act? The Clean Waters Act? The Nigel Wright scandal? The refusal to speak to the press and deliver news through twitter (familiar)? The Republican database techniques they bought? The appointment of more senators in Canadian history after swearing to abolish the senate and not appoint any, three or four of whom narrowly escaped prison time? I could go on for about two more pages in fact.

Or, being russian, perhaps you just prefer his strongman leather vest, you fucking "regular men" otherophobe, quasi-fascist? Go fuck yourself.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 36 times

Post #3521 by Craig » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:50 am

Slick Nick wrote:Maybe if the left was not exactly the same as the right + pushing social non-issues while calling everyone names

just brainstorming here

This is so fucking stupid and wrong. The left a the right, in this election, are very much not the same thing. At all.
pk shredz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2613 times
Received rep: 1276 times

Post #3522 by pk shredz » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:30 am

chicpea wrote:Hey slim dick: Which part of Harper did you prefer? The rigging of elections or the pro-roguing of parliament when his government was about to collapse? How about the Fair Elections Act? The Clean Waters Act? The Nigel Wright scandal? The refusal to speak to the press and deliver news through twitter (familiar)? The Republican database techniques they bought? The appointment of more senators in Canadian history after swearing to abolish the senate and not appoint any, three or four of whom narrowly escaped prison time? I could go on for about two more pages in fact.

Or, being russian, perhaps you just prefer his strongman leather vest, you fucking "regular men" otherophobe, quasi-fascist? Go fuck yourself.

Chic breathing fire today. :travophile:

clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 373 times
Received rep: 566 times

Post #3523 by clawfirst » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:10 am

You're over thinking it dog. The NDP don't appeal to the centre and the Libs fell out of favour leaning too far. All of what you said is real but doesn't affect the results. Bum candidates on the left dont inspire youth. The right always show up.
clawfirst
Registered Broad

Post #3524 by clawfirst » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:11 am

I guess ill have to start drinking again and make use of this new governments direction
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #3525 by mayoradamwest » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:18 am

People just seem to want to wallow in anger without questioning it. Not sure why. Seems the entire province is convinced it pays the highest electricity costs in the world. 20-30% of us think the education system is completely broken, and that sex Ed is the issue...

I’m curious how much was voting for Doug Ford, and how much was just voting against Kathleen Wynn. I like asking people why they hate her, Everyoene seems to speak from a highly emotional place from her...

I think the province has a lot of issues, but the people who are least effected seem the angriest. I don’t think the word will end, and hey - the province needs to distribute large amounts of marijuana soon, might as well go with the experienced hand right?
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 146 times
Received rep: 392 times

Post #3526 by MP » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:45 am

The real problem is the spectrum is way too polarized and sensationalist. I agree with D, there needs to be a fiscally responsible party with progressive social values to fill the middle part of the spectrum (call it the Economic Party of Accountants for Accountants).

Kingston went from Lib to NDP, but the surrounding rural areas stayed PC. In terms of the rural-urban divide, from the people I know living rurally, they have done so because they have some combination of: valuing their privacy and autonomy, dislike other people, dislike municipal bylaws, hate paying for stuff they can do themselves and think urban people are lazy, soft, and stupid. They also feel that because they chose to live rurally (i.e., in an area of less service), they shouldn't have to pay for infrastructure outside their rural communities even though they drive in to use them, or feel left out because they can't get the fastest internet in the middle of nowhere.

Mostly though it's an automy and misguided belief in one's self that they can do better while viewing everything as either a black and white issue, where anything gray is automatically dismissed as delusional or wrong.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #3527 by MP » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:52 am

I think dog repped me only because this is the longest post I've made here in like 5 years...
clawfirst
Registered Broad

Post #3528 by clawfirst » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:02 am

Im all for a purple party.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #3529 by MP » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:49 am

clawfirst wrote:Im all for a purple party.

An ultra right wing party would be good to split right vote.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #3530 by Craig » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:34 am

Vote Christian heritage!

In all seriousness, I don't think we really need that in Ontario. The Liberals are the centrists, and they ruled for 14 years with massively unpopular leaders. The conservatives ought to have beaten them about 6 years ago in a landslide, but they couldn't get their shit together. That it happened to be Ford who benefited this time is just awful luck. The populist wave dog worries about isn't really there in the province. It swept half the conservative leadership convention and that was enough.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #3531 by mayoradamwest » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:07 pm

It’ll be interesting to see what Doug Ford does given his voters didn’t care about not having a platform.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #3532 by senate » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:27 pm

Yeah I stole this from reddit, but in my defence, I am sort of like that Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra species from TNG, I can only understand the world using 90s pop culture metaphors.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #3533 by Slick Nick » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:30 pm

chicpea wrote:

Quasi?

I've always been advocating to put you anglos on an island with shooting tourelles and electrified fences.
Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 120 times
Received rep: 112 times

Post #3534 by Germz » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:30 pm

I agree with claw and Craig.

I may not have lived in Ontario the last five years, but I know you need a good salesperson to sell the NDP to Ontario voters, and Horvath is a limp rag.

I think most people figured well, sure Ford's an idiot and there's no platform, but we can trust the old PC machine, right? Ford doesn't have the demagogic power thant Trump has.

Also Dog, the populist wave you are talking about - in the USA as least - is more of a revolt of the suburbs than the vented fury of a band of yokels. City folk and country folk like to bash each other but we all now that majority of North American society is suburban and they are the people who elect governments.

Shame the NDP couldn't even reduce it to a minority. Horvath should leave. But she won't.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #3535 by mayoradamwest » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:07 pm

We always elect the opposite to the federal government. Interesting quirk.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #3536 by Germz » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:23 pm

mayoradamwest wrote:We always elect the opposite to the federal government. Interesting quirk.

Yes, and I'm willing to bet Ford has more than enough time to fuck up badly enough to help Trudeau.

Dog wrote:There is no denying the stark urban-rural divide. Just look at electoral maps. The suburbs are the frontier/battlelines.

Yeah, I don't deny the divide, I just think it gets overplayed by city observers trying to explain the Trump phenomenon. The problem with the battleground characterization is that it's a sleight of hand. It makes "the country" the source for political heresies that somehow infect the burbs when in fact, I think, the suburban culture itself is the source for much if not most of this stuff.
TittiesNBeer
Registered Broad

Post #3537 by TittiesNBeer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:25 pm

Dog wrote:Soccer dads + yokels.

:crossarms:

The unholy alliance.

There is no denying the stark urban-rural divide. Just look at electoral maps. The suburbs are the frontier/battlelines.
They still got 40.5% of the vote. Its not this uprising that we have seen in other countries.
AD
Has given rep: 666 times
Received rep: 773 times

Post #3538 by AD » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:35 pm

Slick Nick wrote:
chicpea wrote:

Quasi?

I've always been advocating to put you anglos on an island with shooting tourelles and electrified fences.

Finally a platform I can get behind
AD

Post #3539 by AD » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:39 pm

Dog wrote:I mean, I’d hate to spearhead a worldwide culling of country folks just the find out the root of the problem was in the suburbs. Help me find the virus, germs!

You probably live in ground zero for the upcoming CAQ populist wave. Just ask your neighbours in 5 months.

(Around a bbq while you're all planning your Xmas decorations and closing down your pools).
TittiesNBeer
Registered Broad

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Maybe a joke about Bill Morneau

Post #3540 by TittiesNBeer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:39 pm

Dog wrote:
TittiesNBeer wrote:
Dog wrote:Soccer dads + yokels.

:crossarms:

The unholy alliance.

There is no denying the stark urban-rural divide. Just look at electoral maps. The suburbs are the frontier/battlelines.
They still got 40.5% of the vote. Its not this uprising that we have seen in other countries.

Stop it. This was a 3 party race, not the same as potus elections or brexit. 40%+ of popular vote is a very convincing and solid win in multiparty parliamentary elections.

I don’t think it’s an « uprising » in ontario. More people going along. That in itself is a problem. People should be much more repulsed by this populist shit.
2 of the parties had platforms that were nearly the same.
AD

Post #3541 by AD » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Your point is bad Beaker. Move on from it.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #3542 by mayoradamwest » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:44 pm

TittiesNBeer wrote:
Dog wrote:
TittiesNBeer wrote:They still got 40.5% of the vote. Its not this uprising that we have seen in other countries.

Stop it. This was a 3 party race, not the same as potus elections or brexit. 40%+ of popular vote is a very convincing and solid win in multiparty parliamentary elections.

I don’t think it’s an « uprising » in ontario. More people going along. That in itself is a problem. People should be much more repulsed by this populist shit.
2 of the parties had platforms that were nearly the same.

It is interesting to me that we hold left wing parties to some ridiculous bar, but trust the Tory machine inherently. Serious editorials were written arguing Horwath wasn’t fit because of the error in her platform - but Ford got a pass for not having one at all.
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 380 times
Received rep: 638 times

Post #3543 by WTF » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Dog wrote:
mayoradamwest wrote:
TittiesNBeer wrote:2 of the parties had platforms that were nearly the same.

It is interesting to me that we hold left wing parties to some ridiculous bar, but trust the Tory machine inherently. Serious editorials were written arguing Horwath wasn’t fit because of the error in her platform - but Ford got a pass for not having one at all.

I think there is this notion that the party of business mens will know how to manage. Of course, the problem is that business mens won’t necessarily have the impulse to govern for the public good. It kinda goes dead after « tax and regulatory cuts ».

That's what happens when your populist demagogues also happen to be shitty businessmen. Either failed real estate tycoons or failed label printers.

Then again, he was allegedly a fairly successful hash dealer so who knows?
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #3544 by Germz » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:49 pm

Dog wrote: Tell me more about suburban culture infecting the countryside!

Umm, Ford Nation is - and always has been - a fundamentally suburban movement.

The country folk were going to vote blue anyway. They voted for a grinning hick like Hudak, one of their own.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #3545 by Craig » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:52 pm

Why? You live there already.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #3546 by Craig » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:57 pm

AD wrote:Your point is bad Beaker. Move on from it.

Lol, yeah, that sounds like something beaker would do.
Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 665 times
Received rep: 848 times

Post #3547 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Ontario or Québec, where the fuck does our good friend mcphee live now? Image
Also, let's keep this thread about Galchenyuk's on-ice performance, development and value and NOT bring in his personal life or race.
mcphee
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 170 times
Received rep: 481 times

Post #3548 by mcphee » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:40 pm

Shawnathan Horcoff wrote:Ontario or Québec, where the fuck does our good friend mcphee live now? Image

Glengarry County. Turn right out of my driveway and you hit La Belle Province in 12 kms. When in Quebec I feel line an Ontarian and in Ontario, I feel like a Quebecer.
mcphee
Registered Broad

Post #3549 by mcphee » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:42 pm

Sorry left. If you went right you'd be smack dab in the middle of Martintown.
mcphee
Registered Broad

Post #3550 by mcphee » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:44 pm

Germz wrote:
mayoradamwest wrote:We always elect the opposite to the federal government. Interesting quirk.

Yes, and I'm willing to bet Ford has more than enough time to fuck up badly enough to help Trudeau.

Dog wrote:There is no denying the stark urban-rural divide. Just look at electoral maps. The suburbs are the frontier/battlelines.

Yeah, I don't deny the divide, I just think it gets overplayed by city observers trying to explain the Trump phenomenon. The problem with the battleground characterization is that it's a sleight of hand. It makes "the country" the source for political heresies that somehow infect the burbs when in fact, I think, the suburban culture itself is the source for much if not most of this stuff.

also, suburban pussies are afraid of country boys taking their women.

Return to “Le mur de messages”