Maybe a joke about Bill Morneau

..et d'autres discussions ennuyeuses
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 256 times
Received rep: 434 times

Re: Maybe a joke about Bill Morneau

Post #4101 by WTF » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:26 pm

Zardoz wrote:That fiscal conservatives are so narrow sighted they are willing to vote for a former drug dealer/ guy who is running his family business into the ground/ guy who didn't even have a platform is disturbing.

But yeah, buck a beer.

The sad thing is that nothing about his half-assed platform says "fiscal conservative". Cutting taxes/sources of income while spending on stupid shit like doubling down on the Scarborough subway line?
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 255 times
Received rep: 324 times

Post #4102 by senate » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:26 pm

Boozer is really going to be pissed off when the Liberal cruise to victory in the next election using a watered down copy of the NDP's current platform.
Dog
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1547 times
Received rep: 1059 times

Post #4103 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:28 pm

Boring Choice #2 wrote:
Dog wrote:I blame Big D for this fiasco.

:crossarms:

My riding went orange. Don't blame me.

I like to blame two demographics for the rise of right wing populists: country/small town folk leading the revolution and well off suburbanites holding their noses and supporting the right wing populists because, hey, otherwise they may pay more taxes.
Zardoz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 12 times
Received rep: 199 times

Post #4104 by Zardoz » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:31 pm

Boring Choice #2 wrote:Beer and popcorn is a long-standing conservative policy area.

Corn is a big deal! Popped corn is even bigger!
mcphee
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 158 times
Received rep: 348 times

Post #4105 by mcphee » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Dog wrote:Now, wtf is it about the modern world that has yer people so spooked, mcphee?

I think there’s a real antipathy to being told what you should embrace. I was in an American aluminum plant a few weeks ago. These guys have no interest in modern world issues, whatever the fuck they are. They have huge interest in the plant staying open.
Personally , I think they were sold bullshit, but at least they were spoken to.

That’s a big part of it.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4106 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:39 pm

So, when do we start getting reports of Russian intervention in this election?

:wink:
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 96 times
Received rep: 277 times

Post #4107 by Dr_Chimera » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:41 pm

Zardoz wrote:I hate this province so much.

I do not understand people with whom I share this planet.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 259 times
Received rep: 153 times

Post #4108 by The Bytown Boozer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:42 pm

clawfirst wrote:Its us city folk having all the power...rightfully.

How in the fuck do we have all the power? Thanks to first-past-the-post the rural vote is worth twice as much as ours!
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4109 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:44 pm

mcphee wrote:
Dog wrote:Now, wtf is it about the modern world that has yer people so spooked, mcphee?

I think there’s a real antipathy to being told what you should embrace. I was in an American aluminum plant a few weeks ago. These guys have no interest in modern world issues, whatever the fuck they are. They have huge interest in the plant staying open.

That’s a big part of it.

The real strory is that manufacturing and increasingly repetitive service/office jobs will become automated. There is no real solution to that. I think growing inequality will have to be addressed by redistribution -but these people aren’t buying in to social platforms, they are going right wing. I don’t think people want to hear the « real story ». The real story is that the clock isn’t getting turned back.
mcphee
Registered Broad

Post #4110 by mcphee » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:44 pm

I’m twice the man as most urbanites. That’s why .
mcphee
Registered Broad

Post #4111 by mcphee » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:55 pm

Dog wrote:
mcphee wrote:

That’s a big part of it.

The real strory is that manufacturing and increasingly repetitive service/office jobs will become automated. There is no real solution to that. I think growing inequality will have to be addressed by redistribution -but these people aren’t buying in to social platforms, they are going right wing. I don’t think people want to hear the « real story ». The real story is that the clock isn’t getting turned back.

Somehow I didn’t think the 2 engineers and the procurement guy have much interest in these theories. They are aware of automation. They couldn’t survive in the marketplace without it. These aren’t old coal miners
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 270 times
Received rep: 451 times

Post #4112 by clawfirst » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:57 pm

The Bytown Boozer wrote:
clawfirst wrote:Its us city folk having all the power...rightfully.

How in the fuck do we have all the power? Thanks to first-past-the-post the rural vote is worth twice as much as ours!

It doesnt have to be true for them to believe it
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4113 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:58 pm

mcphee wrote:
Dog wrote:
mcphee wrote:I think there’s a real antipathy to being told what you should embrace. I was in an American aluminum plant a few weeks ago. These guys have no interest in modern world issues, whatever the fuck they are. They have huge interest in the plant staying open.

That’s a big part of it.

Somehow I didn’t think the 2 engineers and the procurement guy have much interest in these theories. They are aware of automation. They couldn’t survive in the marketplace without it. These aren’t old coal miners

So wtf is their problem?
senate
Registered Broad

Post #4114 by senate » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:59 pm

Dog wrote:So, when do we start getting reports of Russian intervention in this election?

Yesterday: https://www.nationalobserver.com/2018/06/06/news/inhuman-frequency-army-bots-shares-news-about-doug-ford-twitter-and-facebook
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4115 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:01 pm

senate wrote:
Dog wrote:So, when do we start getting reports of Russian intervention in this election?

Yesterday: https://www.nationalobserver.com/2018/06/06/news/inhuman-frequency-army-bots-shares-news-about-doug-ford-twitter-and-facebook

Nice. I look forward to the upcoming public inquiry!
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4116 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:06 pm

Dog wrote:
mcphee wrote:
Dog wrote:

So wtf is their problem?

You gotta give me something, mcphee. Because people are voting for Trumps and Fords on these populist platforms and you’re telling me « oh, it’s not cultural backlash » and « oh, it’s not economic hardship ».

You gotta be scared/angry to fall for the scapegoating speeches of those purporting to represent the « real people ». What’s spooking the real people?
senate
Registered Broad

Post #4117 by senate » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:10 pm

I think you people are spending too much time blaming the conservative base for this one. The Conservatives won because NDP got kneecapped by the Liberals. Even before Wynne's concession, the Liberals ads stopped attacking Ford and focused squarely on the NDP. The Liberal Party would rather have a Conservative government undo everything the Liberals did in the last 15 years than risk the Liberal Party losing official party status. That is some party over province shit worthy of the Republicans.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4118 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:11 pm

Don’t get me wrong. I’m sure the real people are all excellent individuals in the real world. But there is something terribly wrong with this support for obnoxious loud mouth populists.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4119 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:14 pm

senate wrote:I think you people are spending too much time blaming the conservative base for this one.

But that’s the root of it. Voting conservative can be a perfectly valid choice. The issue is with the grassroots going for right wing populists the world over and then moderates rallying in sufficient numbers post fact (ie. not my kind of guy, but lol not gonna risk paying more taxes).
senate
Registered Broad

Post #4120 by senate » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:15 pm

But with that said, an even slightly charismatic leader could have won this for the NDP. Horwath needs to go. Too bad Singh is too busy loitering around the Centre Block foyer to run for the job.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4121 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:19 pm

senate wrote:But with that said, an even slightly charismatic leader could have won this for the NDP. Horwath needs to go. Too bad Singh is too busy loitering around the Centre Block foyer to run for the job.

Absolutely, you guys had a bad slate of candidates. As Hillary was a bad candidate. Still, even a close loss for these populists should be worrisome. I’m deeply disturbed that we are here as a society where that kind of style/talk has pull with large parts of the population.
mcphee
Registered Broad

Post #4122 by mcphee » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:21 pm

senate wrote:I think you people are spending too much time blaming the conservative base for this one. The Conservatives won because NDP got kneecapped by the Liberals. Even before Wynne's concession, the Liberals ads stopped attacking Ford and focused squarely on the NDP. The Liberal Party would rather have a Conservative government undo everything the Liberals did in the last 15 years than risk the Liberal Party losing official party status. That is some party over province shit worthy of the Republicans.

I don't think there's any populist link here. Ford happened to stumble into he leadership. The PC's really had no way to lose this. In most communities, I don't think they pushed the leader as a marketing tool. We had the local guy very visible and very little reference to Ford. They weren't going to get Hudak'd again.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4123 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:22 pm

Anywho, see you guys back here in October where I’ll once again lean on balanced/progressive mcphee to look for answers as to why the CAQ won a majority.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #4124 by senate » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:23 pm

Dog wrote:But that’s the root of it. Voting conservative can be a perfectly valid choice. The issue is with the grassroots going for right wing populists the world over and then moderates rallying in sufficient numbers post fact (ie. not my kind of guy, but lol not gonna risk paying more taxes).

Psychological studies suggest that conservatism is rooted in fear. I blame the rise of right wing populism on the anti-bullying initiatives. Cowardly men, women, and especially children should be mercilessly be bullied in person, online, and by bricks thrown through their windows until they become brave and, by extension, progressive.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4125 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:23 pm

To be fair, the CAQ is only marginally populist. Certainly xenophobic, but not really anti-elite in the name of the real people.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4126 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:25 pm

mcphee wrote:
senate wrote:I think you people are spending too much time blaming the conservative base for this one. The Conservatives won because NDP got kneecapped by the Liberals. Even before Wynne's concession, the Liberals ads stopped attacking Ford and focused squarely on the NDP. The Liberal Party would rather have a Conservative government undo everything the Liberals did in the last 15 years than risk the Liberal Party losing official party status. That is some party over province shit worthy of the Republicans.

I don't think there's any populist link here. Ford happened to stumble into he leadership. The PC's really had no way to lose this. In most communities, I don't think they pushed the leader as a marketing tool. We had the local guy very visible and very little reference to Ford. They weren't going to get Hudak'd again.

Maybe, but Ford is the premier. How the fuck do people endorse that? I’m badfled, mcphee!
senate
Registered Broad

Post #4127 by senate » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:30 pm

Kudos to the CBC for being so professional, even though Ford is going to take all their funding away.
mcphee
Registered Broad

Post #4128 by mcphee » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:31 pm

Dog wrote:
mcphee wrote:

Maybe, but Ford is the premier. How the fuck do people endorse that? I’m badfled, mcphee!

That's why so many people had a hard time voting this time around. I could probably introduce you to 100 people tomorrow who'd say, I couldn't not vote for Jim. I do think rural communities vote for the local rep more than cities do. People know that if they call their mp, he'll listen. His opponents, who knows.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4129 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:39 pm

senate wrote:
Dog wrote:But that’s the root of it. Voting conservative can be a perfectly valid choice. The issue is with the grassroots going for right wing populists the world over and then moderates rallying in sufficient numbers post fact (ie. not my kind of guy, but lol not gonna risk paying more taxes).

Psychological studies suggest that conservatism is rooted in fear. I blame the rise of right wing populism on the anti-bullying initiatives. Cowardly men, women, and especially children should be mercilessly be bullied in person, online, and by bricks thrown through their windows until they become brave and, by extension, progressive.

I don’t think I buy that other than in the sense that the attitude towards change/unkown is certainly important in the conservative/progressive divide. But I wouldn’t say there is a right and wrong position in the abstract there. Depends relating to what. Just as too much of a reactionary reflex is bad, so is a unthinking change. Things should be debated and people should chose.

But that’s not what we’re getting with these populists. It’s ANGRY. It’s crass. It’s a rejection of an order. It’s « other people’s fault ».

I can’t for the life of me really pinpoint cause. Could simply be multifaceted. Cultural and economic.

I also wonder if people aren’t just becoming whiny little bitches. Some over individualistic mindless demanding consumer mentality. Never satisfied. Not patient. Demanding. Unreasonable.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4130 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:39 pm

senate wrote:Kudos to the CBC for being so professional, even though Ford is going to take all their funding away.

Provincial funding?
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4131 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:41 pm

mcphee wrote:
Dog wrote:
mcphee wrote:I don't think there's any populist link here. Ford happened to stumble into he leadership. The PC's really had no way to lose this. In most communities, I don't think they pushed the leader as a marketing tool. We had the local guy very visible and very little reference to Ford. They weren't going to get Hudak'd again.

That's why so many people had a hard time voting this time around. I could probably introduce you to 100 people tomorrow who'd say, I couldn't not vote for Jim. I do think rural communities vote for the local rep more than cities do. People know that if they call their mp, he'll listen. His opponents, who knows.

Not good enough mcphee.

:crossarms:

This is a global movement. It has deep currents underpinning it.
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 96 times
Received rep: 277 times

Post #4132 by Dr_Chimera » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:43 pm

senate wrote:Kudos to the CBC for being so professional, even though Ford is going to take all their funding away.

I hope he does. CBC is trash.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #4133 by senate » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:48 pm

Dog wrote:Provincial funding?

During the his provincial budget response speech in March, Doug Ford promised to eliminate funding to the CBC even though the CBC receives no funding from the Ontario government.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4134 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:52 pm

senate wrote:
Dog wrote:Provincial funding?

During the his provincial budget response speech in March, Doug Ford promised to eliminate funding to the CBC even though the CBC receives no funding from the Ontario government.

Jesus Christ! This is the shit yer people are falling for, mcphee??!
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #4135 by The Bytown Boozer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:53 pm

THE STANLEY CUP IS IN THE BUILDING!!!!!!!!!
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 300 times
Received rep: 155 times

Post #4136 by mayoradamwest » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:56 pm

Who was the last drug trafficking premier?
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #4137 by The Bytown Boozer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:57 pm

mayoradamwest wrote:Who was the last drug trafficking premier?

W.A.C. Bennett
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 300 times
Received rep: 155 times

Post #4138 by mayoradamwest » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:57 pm

Dog wrote:
senate wrote:

I don’t think I buy that other than in the sense that the attitude towards change/unkown is certainly important in the conservative/progressive divide. But I wouldn’t say there is a right and wrong position in the abstract there. Depends relating to what. Just as too much of a reactionary reflex is bad, so is a unthinking change. Things should be debated and people should chose.

But that’s not what we’re getting with these populists. It’s ANGRY. It’s crass. It’s a rejection of an order. It’s « other people’s fault ».

I can’t for the life of me really pinpoint cause. Could simply be multifaceted. Cultural and economic.

I also wonder if people aren’t just becoming whiny little bitches. Some over individualistic mindless demanding consumer mentality. Never satisfied. Not patient. Demanding. Unreasonable.

People are catering to the angry whiners....
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4139 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:58 pm

I’d be shocked if Bob Rae wasn’t at least a pothead.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #4140 by The Bytown Boozer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:59 pm

Although who knows what Daniel Johnson Jr got up to during the wee hours of the morning...
senate
Registered Broad

Post #4141 by senate » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:03 pm

Tommy Douglas discovered krokodil.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 455 times

Post #4142 by Slick Nick » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:37 pm

Maybe if the left was not exactly the same as the right + pushing social non-issues while calling everyone names

just brainstorming here
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4143 by Dog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:51 pm

Slick Nick wrote:Maybe if the left was not exactly the same as the right + pushing social non-issues while calling everyone names

just brainstorming here

NOT MY FAULT YOU CAN’T DEAL WITH CHICKS WITH DICKS, NICK!

:danson:
TittiesNBeer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 506 times
Received rep: 291 times

Post #4144 by TittiesNBeer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:05 am

Approximately 40% of voters went for the PCs. Lets be honest about what this is (and what it almost always is) a failure of our first past the post system to give a government that adequately represents the views of the electorate.

60% of people voted for leftist platforms and the far right won a majority government.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #4145 by Slick Nick » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:23 am

Dog wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:Maybe if the left was not exactly the same as the right + pushing social non-issues while calling everyone names

just brainstorming here

NOT MY FAULT YOU CAN’T DEAL WITH CHICKS WITH DICKS, NICK!

:danson:

You wanted answers, I'm giving you the answers... it as simple as that: care about the regular mens, stop calling everyone an ***ist or a ***phobe, stop deviding people along tribal lines (race, gender, rural/urban, etc), stop peddling nonsensical issues that less than 5% of the population is concerned or cares about, stop pushing the exact same neoliberal policies that the other side supports.

It's almost like you've learned nothing through the Trump election....

Oh, wait.. it was Putin and the 13 trolls.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #4146 by Slick Nick » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:24 am

TittiesNBeer wrote:Approximately 40% of voters went for the PCs. Lets be honest about what this is (and what it almost always is) a failure of our first past the post system to give a government that adequately represents the views of the electorate.

60% of people voted for leftist platforms and the far right won a majority government.

Lefties have been promising to bring a proportional system for 50 years already and every time they take the power, then back down. Who's to blame?
TittiesNBeer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 506 times
Received rep: 291 times

Re: RE: Re: Maybe a joke about Bill Morneau

Post #4147 by TittiesNBeer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:27 am

Slick Nick wrote:
TittiesNBeer wrote:Approximately 40% of voters went for the PCs. Lets be honest about what this is (and what it almost always is) a failure of our first past the post system to give a government that adequately represents the views of the electorate.

Lefties have been promising to bring a proportional system for 50 years already and every time they take the power, then back down. Who's to blame?
I agree... those who promise electoral reform and didnt do it are to blame.

Im just going to dogs point that there is this great far right uprising in ontario. There isn't. They got 40% of the popular vote. Its not even like trump where he was just a percentage point behind hilary. Its like 6-7% less of the popular vote than he had... and if we look at brexit like 10% less. Its just in this system its enough to get a majority of seats.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Re: RE: Re: Maybe a joke about Bill Morneau

Post #4148 by Slick Nick » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:31 am

TittiesNBeer wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:

I agree... those who promise electoral reform and didnt do it are to blame.

Im just going to dogs point that there is this great far right uprising in ontario. There isn't. They got 40% of the popular vote. Its not even like trump where he was just a percentage point behind hilary. Its like 6-7% less of the popular vote than he had... and if we look at brexit like 10% less. Its just in this system its enough to get a majority of seats.

Yeah ok, but give me a break with your far right... what do you think will happen, concentration camps and anti-abortion laws? Like literally nothing of importance will happen, maybe some tax cuts and the defunding of useless far far far left think tanks.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad

Post #4149 by The Bytown Boozer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:37 am

Slick Nick wrote:Yeah ok, but give me a break with your far right... what do you think will happen, concentration camps and anti-abortion laws?

Same thing that always happens, they'll overspend while funneling wealth to those who already have it, causing the economy to go in the shitter. After that people may or may not lose their homes.

One thing's for certain, companies will make much more money. I mean we won't see any benefits of this as customers or as employees, but if you're a fan of hoarding money then this is a big win for you & your people.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #4150 by Slick Nick » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:43 am

The Bytown Boozer wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:Yeah ok, but give me a break with your far right... what do you think will happen, concentration camps and anti-abortion laws?

Same thing that always happens, they'll overspend while funneling wealth to those who already have it, causing the economy to go in the shitter. After that people may or may not lose their homes.

One thing's for certain, companies will make much more money. I mean we won't see any benefits of this as customers or as employees, but if you're a fan of hoarding money then this is a big win for you & your people.

Implying the liberals don't do the exact same thing while calling names

Trudeau is going to tear down the banks, the big oil and the oligarchies, please, boozeur...

Return to “Le mur de messages”