Maybe a joke about Bill Morneau ... if not Greg

..et d'autres discussions ennuyeuses
AD
Has given rep: 741 times
Received rep: 866 times

Re: Maybe a joke about Bill Morneau ... if not Greg

Post #4651 by AD » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Us in Quebec are laughing at you, from our moral high ground.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 263 times
Received rep: 159 times

Post #4652 by The Bytown Boozer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:48 am

Dog
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1941 times
Received rep: 1298 times

Post #4653 by Dog » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:44 am

AD wrote:Us in Quebec are laughing at you, from our moral high ground.

We about to elect our own psychopath, though. Well, baby psychopath.
AD

Post #4654 by AD » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Dog wrote:

Like super diet pepsi vs heroin
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4655 by Dog » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:19 pm

AD wrote:
Dog wrote:

Diet pepsi vs coke(caine), I would say. But, if you are already on the speedy side....you may need some pot (aka QS) to balance yourself out.

:danson:
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 42 times
Received rep: 446 times

Post #4656 by Craig » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:23 pm

AD wrote:
Dog wrote:

If you're gonna sin, then sin.
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 261 times
Received rep: 429 times

Post #4657 by senate » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:04 pm

The opposition was being expelled from the legislature. That's normal in a democracy, right?

senate
Registered Broad

Post #4658 by senate » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:19 pm

AD

Post #4659 by AD » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:29 pm

senate wrote:

Oh he sucks. But:

1. He's right.
2. He's not going to do this mid municipal election.

If you're gonna point to his diet-cokeness... You have to look at his stance on immigration.

Otherwise he's just a slightly populist conservative. But... Like... didn't sell cocaine and isn't an obvious embarrassment.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #4660 by senate » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:56 pm

I bet Quebecer populists even graduated high school. What a bunch of dorks.
AD

Post #4661 by AD » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 pm

He owned an airline. :why:
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 383 times
Received rep: 185 times

Post #4662 by mayoradamwest » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:10 pm

Dude is talking about this stuff before the election. Amateur.
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 271 times
Received rep: 474 times

Post #4663 by WTF » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:57 pm

senate wrote:I bet Quebecer populists even graduated high school. What a bunch of dorks.

Did they peddle hash on the side to balance it out?
Roughneck
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 14 times

Post #4664 by Roughneck » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:18 am

What fucking world are we in where Alberta is the only god damn place that truly has the moral high ground (Quebec can choke on its Saudi oil. How does Energy East look now, assholes)?!

We’re at the point even electing Kenney isn’t all that bad in the grand scheme since he understands the economy trumps petty revenge and social issues for plitical longevity.

Get your shit together, Canada. This is getting ridiculous!
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 263 times
Received rep: 159 times

Post #4665 by The Bytown Boozer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:20 am

Legault may be an absolute dullard, but as a rich old white guy, he does share Mr. Ford's disdain for 'big city folk'. He is the founder of a rural populist party, so it doesn't exactly shock me that he thinks white suburbanites should have a disproportionately large say in municipal matters.

Toronto's new wards are an absolute mess in terms of population distribution, much as they are on both the provincial and federal level. (same delineations, I believe)
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #4666 by Craig » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:37 am

Yeah, same boundaries. I can actually kinda get on board with consistency, but urban representation is something that should be fixed at every level. He wrote, sitting in his urban home.
Boring Choice #2
Has given rep: 547 times
Received rep: 573 times

Post #4667 by Boring Choice #2 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:39 am

moving away from topics of national significance.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/dominic ... -1.4090516

so now cousins-in-laws are considered family for the purposes of conflict of interest? i barely know my wife's cousin's and i sure as fuck wouldn't give a shit about whether they benefited from my actions or not. i'm sure she feels a similar way about my cousins. it's not like you grow up knowing these people. i have old friends and business colleagues who i'd rather see benefit from my actions, and they'd never get caught up in a conflict of interest argument.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #4668 by Craig » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:24 am

You didn't know your cousins growing up? Dude.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4669 by Dog » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:28 am

The Bytown Boozer wrote:Legault may be an absolute dullard, but as a rich old white guy, he does share Mr. Ford's disdain for 'big city folk'. He is the founder of a rural populist party, so it doesn't exactly shock me that he thinks white suburbanites should have a disproportionately large say in municipal matters.

Toronto's new wards are an absolute mess in terms of population distribution, much as they are on both the provincial and federal level. (same delineations, I believe)

Caq certainly didn’t come as a rural populist party first. It’s always been suburban at heart. Just in a bad way. Taking rural conservatism (which is small group but quite collaborative) thinking and meshing it with urban capitalism. You get self centered dorks with narrow group definition (which appeals to rural folks) but without the social solidarity. A sorta worst of both worlds.

Fuckers that care some, coming in the opposite direction, from urban “globalist values” should look to narrow those down to fit where people are. Too much forward looking and conceptual in approach will leave people moaning and hurting. Too narrow and backwards looking prevents development. The game is in the suburbs. How do fuckers in the middle bridge the gap. Do they go worst of both worlds because of unsustainable self interest or do they go best of both worlds in a patient, pragmatic approach towards achieving social good (but without leaving reality with innefective idealist solutions).

Germz was right. The “battlefield” is the suburbs. But not as a rural values pushing in thing. But as the sphere where both worlds merge and clash. I think conservative and liberal moderates need to but on the breaks and look for mutual common ground and work from there. Key caveat is that it can’t be selfish. Lib globalists can’t be all “free trade and world market = biggest brains gets all!!!” And conservative traditionalists can’t whip up the masses with populism in a self centered effort to enlist a zombie armie to manupulate for their own gain.

I’m thinking anybody even remotely interested in the common good has to reach accross to like minded folks on the other side of the aisle and try to work it back.

This probably means being much more “rational” and explicit in immigration policies and also being much more inclined to tackle social inequality. Too quick, too fast, rips it apart as you forget the legitimate interests of people on the other end of the spectrum.

‘Bama was right. It feels better to be an idealist, but when the ideal not ready to be implemented the right thing to do is to take a systematic and gradualist approach making sure you get broad consensus. Otherwise, holding on to an unrealizable ideal is also just self gratification. Effectiveness is a key concept -it basically means taking many factors and interests into account and forging a path cognizant of those. You can disregard manipulative psychopaths, though. And people will, if they feel they are being heard by more reasonable mens.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4670 by Dog » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:36 am

And seeing what’s going on in Murica as primarily/mostly a racist counter-offense to black prez is a huge red herring. Obama would in all likelihood been reelected easily over Trump. So would anybody half connecting with “common folk”. Hillary lost because she’s so far up the elitist tower that she can’t connect to people on the ground anymore. Both Dems and GOP but up their worst face in 2016 and that showed in how both candidates were historically unpopular. It was the biggest case ever of “who is the less most worst”.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4671 by Dog » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:40 am

If any of that is true, it’s actually great news. Would imply “people” aren’t the problem. The problem is dorky leadership.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #4672 by Craig » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:03 am

Dog wrote:And seeing what’s going on in Murica as primarily/mostly a racist counter-offense to black prez is a huge red herring. Obama would in all likelihood been reelected easily over Trump. So would anybody half connecting with “common folk”. Hillary lost because she’s so far up the elitist tower that she can’t connect to people on the ground anymore. Both Dems and GOP but up their worst face in 2016 and that showed in how both candidates were historically unpopular. It was the biggest case ever of “who is the less most worst”.

If Obama never came around and some old white guy was president instead, I think Hillary would have beat Trump handily. There are, of course, a variety of things that influence an election. Trump needed pretty much every helping hand he could get, including running against someone as unpopular as Hillary, but without following the black guy I think he was toast. Heck, if Bernie hadn't put up a fight against Hillary, I think the Left would have united behind her more solidly and she would have won.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4673 by Dog » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:42 am

Craig wrote:
Dog wrote:And seeing what’s going on in Murica as primarily/mostly a racist counter-offense to black prez is a huge red herring. Obama would in all likelihood been reelected easily over Trump. So would anybody half connecting with “common folk”. Hillary lost because she’s so far up the elitist tower that she can’t connect to people on the ground anymore. Both Dems and GOP but up their worst face in 2016 and that showed in how both candidates were historically unpopular. It was the biggest case ever of “who is the less most worst”.

If Obama never came around and some old white guy was president instead, I think Hillary would have beat Trump handily. There are, of course, a variety of things that influence an election. Trump needed pretty much every helping hand he could get, including running against someone as unpopular as Hillary, but without following the black guy I think he was toast. Heck, if Bernie hadn't put up a fight against Hillary, I think the Left would have united behind her more solidly and she would have won.

Hard to say, of course. Say a bloomberg had been prez instead of bamarama. Would Hillary have won? Maybe, but I think “the malaise” would have just continued to grow.

The difference between the two paths, I think, rests on how much of the “populist revolution” you attribute to racism and how much to changing economics structual issues in an increasingly post-industrial world (which is reflected in growing wealth and income inequality). For me, looking at the race issue from another side, through Obama’s popularity rating vs both Hil and Trump tells me that economic structural malaise and quick pace of social change is the point of rupture and not race (even, of course, if it is a significant issue in the US -just unlikely to be the game changer/tie breaker as the comfortable plurality can support a black mens). They key is in the moderate progressive tone that recognizes “real peoples” concerns -both in terms of their economic future and some pacing of social change (even if I personally have trouble with accomodating the later).
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4674 by Dog » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:49 am

The center must fight back, basically.

:danson:
Boring Choice #2

Post #4675 by Boring Choice #2 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:16 am

Craig wrote:You didn't know your cousins growing up? Dude.

I didn't know my wife's cousins growing up. My cousins are definitely a conflict of interest. Hers, not so much.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4676 by Dog » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:20 am

Boring Choice #2 wrote:

I didn't know my wife's cousins growing up. My cousins are definitely a conflict of interest. Hers, not so much.

We are assuming your wife may have some influence over you. Didn’t she make you fill out the census?
Boring Choice #2

Post #4677 by Boring Choice #2 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:32 pm

Dog wrote:
Boring Choice #2 wrote:

We are assuming your wife may have some influence over you. Didn’t she make you fill out the census?

She wouldn't bother trying to make me fill out a census.

That's a big assumption that my wife would care enough about her cousin to want me to do something to improve their life. I think once you become an adult, you see your cousins once in a blue moon at a family wedding and ask them how their kids are. That's generally the relationship, at least as far as my experience.

I just think those conflict of interest rules a little bit excessive.
shredz [Bot]
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1939 times
Received rep: 996 times

Post #4678 by shredz [Bot] » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:20 pm

We gon' drop the c!
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #4679 by mayoradamwest » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:26 pm

This peoples party sounds like it will be gloriously stupid
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 164 times
Received rep: 411 times

Post #4680 by MP » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:11 pm

One eyed purple people party eater...
shredz [Bot]
Registered Broad

Post #4681 by shredz [Bot] » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:33 am

cool.
TittiesNBeer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 575 times
Received rep: 322 times

Post #4682 by TittiesNBeer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:10 pm

" The minimal “serious issue to be tried” component of that test assumes that the stay will operate as a temporary measure and that the rights of the parties will be finally resolved when the appeal proper is heard. However, RJR-MacDonald recognizes that in cases where, as a practical matter, the rights of the parties will be determined by the outcome of the stay motion, the court may give significantly more weight to the strength of the appeal: p. 338. In our view, this is such a case. An immediate decision is required to permit the Toronto municipal elections to proceed on October 22. That decision must be rendered now and, subject to further legislative intervention, our decision will determine whether the election proceeds on the basis of 25 or 47 wards. In these circumstances, greater attention must be paid to the merits of the constitutional claim and, as contemplated by RJR-MacDonald, we must ask whether there is a strong likelihood that the appeal will succeed.

[11] The application judge was understandably motivated by the fact that the timing of Bill 5 changed the rules for the election mid-campaign, which he perceived as being unfair to candidates and voters. However, unfairness alone does not establish a Charter breach. The question for the courts is not whether Bill 5 is unfair but whether it is unconstitutional. On that crucial question, we have concluded that there is a strong likelihood that application judge erred in law and that the Attorney General’s appeal to this court will succeed.

[12] The application judge’s interpretation appears to stretch both the wording and the purpose of s. 2(b) beyond the limits of that provision. His decision blurs the demarcation between two distinct provisions of the Charter: the protection of expressive activity in s. 2(b) and the s. 3 guarantee of the democratic rights of citizens to vote and be qualified for office. The s. 3 right to vote and stand for office applies only with respect to elections to the House of Commons and the provincial legislatures: Haig v. Canada, [1993] 2 S.C.R. 995, at pp. 1031, 1033. Section 3 does not apply to municipal elections and has no bearing on the issues raised in this case.

[13] Unquestionably, Ontario’s announcement of its intention to introduce Bill 5 disrupted the campaigns that were already underway. However, Bill 5 does not limit or restrict any message the candidates wish to convey to voters for the remainder of the campaign. Nor does it erase messages conveyed earlier, although it may reduce their effectiveness. While the change brought about by Bill 5 is undoubtedly frustrating for candidates who started campaigning in May 2018, we are not persuaded that their frustration amounts to a substantial interference with their freedom of expression. The candidates were and are still free to say what they want to say to the voters. The inconvenience candidates will experience because of the change from 47 to 25 wards does not prevent or impede them from saying what they want to say about the issues arising in the election.

[14] There was still considerable time from the date of Bill 5’s passage until voting day. Election campaigns inherently involve moving targets and changing issues that require candidates to adjust as matters proceed. Under Bill 5, nominations remained open until September 14, the same deadline that applied to the previous City elections. There is no suggestion that permitting nominations approximately 5 weeks before the election trammeled freedom of expression in any way by putting demands upon candidates who had already entered the race and who might need to strategically refocus their campaigns in response to issues raised by new candidates. In light of the time remaining for candidates to conduct their campaigns after its enactment, we are doubtful of the claim that the disruption Bill 5 caused constituted a substantial interference with the candidates’ freedom of expression."

In other words, the Ontario Court of Appeal agrees... Stupid, but Constitutional

:mkbét:
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4683 by Dog » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:21 pm

I disagree. It’s not stupid, it’s an abuse of rights by government targeting individuals based on political considerations. The distinguishing line can be thin, but I think they crossed it here.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4684 by Dog » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:23 pm

My dissenting opinion will come back to haunt you!!!!

Mouhahaha!

*cough*
Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 121 times
Received rep: 98 times

Post #4685 by Germz » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:54 pm

This turned out to be a huge win for Ford. His personal vendettas are satisfied and his base is over the moon right now, and the kicker is he didn't even have to use the Notwithstanding clause.

Ethically of course it's despicable. But ethics are dead. Contemporary democracy is all about that base (no treble).
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #4686 by Germz » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Add in the Alleslev desertion and it's been a great week to be a Conservative in Ontario.
AD

Post #4687 by AD » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Germz!
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4688 by Dog » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:04 pm

AD wrote:Germz!

Dark Germz!
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #4689 by mayoradamwest » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:32 pm

Germz wrote:This turned out to be a huge win for Ford. His personal vendettas are satisfied and his base is over the moon right now, and the kicker is he didn't even have to use the Notwithstanding clause.

Ethically of course it's despicable. But ethics are dead. Contemporary democracy is all about that base (no treble).

I disagree.

He just blew a lot of political capital creating a very divisive issue for absolutely no legitimate reason. Yes, his base is over the moon - what don't they love about him? That nobody talked about this 3 months ago but miracously has unanimous support from his fanbase just tells you how empty they are. If his ideology is essentially revenge and pissing off certain groups to please his fans, this will flame out in the long run. We have our Tory streak in ontario, this isn't it.

I'm not sure how many people are going to even understand they didn't use the notwithstanding clause. Yeah the conservatives who hate the charter will sploosh, but more reasonable people will see that he is indifferent to the courts. This is, at its core, profoundly stupid. Why are we even talking about this? The national post and sun chains will never criticize him, but they can only sell so much so so many folks.

This is going to be more expensive. It flies in the face of localism, which is a key part of making good decisions. The list of why this is bad governing is quite long, and I don't think people who base their politics on ensuring liberals are angry are enough to create sustainable change.

Of course, maybe I am underestimating the effect of the non-star ontario news industry falling in line behind whatever he does

Historically, most Canadians support the charter and the courts more than our politicians.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #4690 by Germz » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:32 pm

Sorry folks, my Yom Kippur fast got the better of me.

Now that I've eaten, I feel much better and agree with my dear old friend maw.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #4691 by senate » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:57 pm

Germz is Sandy Koufax confirmed.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #4692 by mayoradamwest » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:01 pm

Germz wrote:Sorry folks, my Yom Kippur fast got the better of me.

Now that I've eaten, I feel much better and agree with my dear old friend maw.

Hugs.
shredz [Bot]
Registered Broad

Post #4693 by shredz [Bot] » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:19 am

mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #4694 by mayoradamwest » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:00 pm

I mean, why wouldn't the premier of ontario love the guy who is threatening tariffs that would grind our economy to a halt?
AD

Post #4695 by AD » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:05 pm

In terms of economics. I mean.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4696 by Dog » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:26 pm

In terms of short term myopic economics, I mean.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #4697 by Dog » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Let the idiots idiot and disprove themselves, I say.
shredz [Bot]
Registered Broad

Post #4698 by shredz [Bot] » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:42 am

I would have said "egonomics" just to get a tweet from Trump. :colbert:
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 140 times
Received rep: 424 times