Tyler Bozak

Pull up a chair, here's a tumbler of scotch, and help yourself to the sybian, good times that we'll all remember.
chiclet
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 297 times
Received rep: 146 times

Tyler Bozak

Post #1 by chiclet » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:24 am

Taking by storm the small, coastal hideaway of Parry Sound, a hamlet unshy of the ravages of Mother Nature's more indelicate rapacities, Tyler Bozak led the junior boy's volleyball squad to its first ever regional showing, a horrific loss in which he broke the limbs of several teammates. But that was not where his real love lay.

Tammy was her name, which was short for Tammiela, a name passed down from one aunt in Nipigon. She had several curves but none so wicked as the curve of Bozak's stick, which scored eleven goals during his first year in town.

Such prowess earned young Tyler the nickname, Curve, a monocle he wore into his senior years at the school, which was called Parry Sound 11.

Because his scoring kept increasing and the town's population grew accordingly, Curve went on to be drafted by Wayne Gretzky, whose wife owned several of Curve's sticks from junior.

The rest is history.
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 196 times
Received rep: 107 times

Re: Tyler Bozak

Post #2 by The Bytown Boozer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:31 pm

And now you know... the rest of the story.
Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 90 times
Received rep: 62 times

Post #3 by Germz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:05 am

Fun fact: My father took a curveball to the nose as a boy. He tried to convince me that this was why his nose was crooked. But eventually I learned that his grandparents had been cousins, and that my family is inbred.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #4 by Germz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:08 am

Fun fact: Our Lady Peace named their eighth studio album Curve after the curvature of the earth, which you can see clearly from outer space, which is where all copies of the album should be sent (at once).
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #5 by Germz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:12 am

Fun fact: Tom Kurvers's nickname was Bozo, as in Bozo the clown. Kurvers was terrified of clowns and would wet himself at the sight of one. But his bantam teammates considered the smell of Tom's urine to be a good omen before a game, and continually found new ways to startle him with clown costumes and posters.
mcphee
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 94 times
Received rep: 176 times

Post #6 by mcphee » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:57 am

Germz wrote:Fun fact: Tom Kurvers's nickname was Bozo, as in Bozo the clown. Kurvers was terrified of clowns and would wet himself at the sight of one. But his bantam teammates considered the smell of Tom's urine to be a good omen before a game, and continually found new ways to startle him with clown costumes and posters.

I went a ballgame in Ottawa last Wednesday night, yes, your Ottawa Champions. Their mascot wandered in front of me and my niece and tried to incorporate her into whatever gag he had planned. She wanted none of this, ignored him, [I assume], causing him to be more aggressive in his gestures. I leaned over and said, 'y'know how some people don't like clowns, I don't like mascots. Beat it.' He made the 'call me' sign to young E, and I won't forget that.

I guess he was unaware of the late 90's, 'keep moving you orange bastard' incident with Youppi.
PPJ
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 65 times
Received rep: 78 times

Post #7 by PPJ » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:15 am

mcphee wrote:
Germz wrote:Fun fact: Tom Kurvers's nickname was Bozo, as in Bozo the clown. Kurvers was terrified of clowns and would wet himself at the sight of one. But his bantam teammates considered the smell of Tom's urine to be a good omen before a game, and continually found new ways to startle him with clown costumes and posters.

I went a ballgame in Ottawa last Wednesday night, yes, your Ottawa Champions. Their mascot wandered in front of me and my niece and tried to incorporate her into whatever gag he had planned. She wanted none of this, ignored him, [I assume], causing him to be more aggressive in his gestures. I leaned over and said, 'y'know how some people don't like clowns, I don't like mascots. Beat it.' He made the 'call me' sign to young E, and I won't forget that.

I guess he was unaware of the late 90's, 'keep moving you orange bastard' incident with Youppi.

Phees in the good ole days. Never knew you were such a lasorda fan:

mcphee
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 94 times
Received rep: 176 times

Post #8 by mcphee » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:20 am

Joe, years ago, early 80's, the Expos were in a late season Twi Night double header with the Phillies. Game 2 was quite late, and I was lying in bed with ear phones on, catching the end of the game. They come back from commercial and Dave Van Horne says something like, 'I won't say what the Phillie Fanatic just did but I will say that at least Youppi has class'. Over the next few days, people were asking, what the hell the PF did. Years passed, we never found out. 7 or 8 years ago I attended a b day celebration for the Mtl sports radio station, now the TSN affiliate. I was chatting with some on air people that lived and died with the team from 69 on, and they vaguely remembered the incident but had no idea what happened. I thought Elliot Price would know, but he didn't, so Melnick suggested I call the Marlins front office for the hell of it.

The Expos last PR guy was there, along with Dave Van Horne. So I did. The guy was quite nice, said he'd be seeing DVH that night and would ask. We had a nice chat about Mtl baseball and I thanked him and wondered if I'd hear from him. Next day I get an e mail as DVH said that while he wasn't 100% sure, he thought it was the Fanatic ass wiping with an Expos jersey.

In that it took 25 years to solve the mystery, I thought my pals would be more appreciative. They just seem more uneasy than ever.People ehhh ?
PPJ
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 65 times
Received rep: 78 times

Post #9 by PPJ » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:10 am

I had thought Van Horne had passed away. Turns out it was Don Chevrier
The Bytown Boozer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 196 times
Received rep: 107 times