Salary Cap, CBA, NHL Rulebook Colloquium & Soiree

Pull up a chair, here's a tumbler of scotch, and help yourself to the sybian, good times that we'll all remember.
HS
Registered Broad
Received rep: 2 times

Post #1 by HS » Mon May 27, 2013 6:36 pm

I didn't realize the contracts were retroactive!
Roger Sterling
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #2 by Roger Sterling » Mon May 27, 2013 6:43 pm

With how fragile Hossa is, he could also be kept on IR for the rest of his career until his contract runs out. Aka the shit Philly & Boston are doing with their gimps. Doesn't that avoid that penalty?
[CENTER][font="Georgia"]“When God closes a door, he opens a dress.”[/font]
ImageImage
[/CENTER]
RTWAP
Has given rep: 27 times
Received rep: 32 times

Post #3 by RTWAP » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:18 pm

Forgive me as I think while I type. I'm wondering if there is a cap manipulation strategy.

Imagine you sign some AHL veteran to a two-way 6 year contract with AAV of $900K. But the NHL amounts are $600K/$600K/$600K/$600K/$1200K/$1800K. Then you keep the guy in the minors for the five years, incurring no cap hit. Then you buy him out. Cap hit in next year is: $900k-($1800K-$600K) = a cap credit of $300K. The next year it's a $600K cap hit so you get screwed in the end.
RIP Old Broads v2. Long live New Broads v3.
pedrospecialk
Registered Broad

Post #4 by pedrospecialk » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:19 am

Can you sign a two-way contract for more than 2 years on a non-ELC?
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
RTWAP

Post #5 by RTWAP » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:03 pm

pedrospecialk wrote:Can you sign a two-way contract for more than 2 years on a non-ELC?

Good question. I don't know. And I have no interest in checking after having spent about 20 minutes sifting through the CBA to check if the above was a viable loophole. It's not.
RIP Old Broads v2. Long live New Broads v3.
pedrospecialk
Registered Broad

Post #6 by pedrospecialk » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:09 pm

:lou_unimpressed:
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
NHL33

Post #7 by NHL33 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:54 pm

I saw that elsewhere. Surprised me quite a bit that NASCAR and soccer didn't get more mentions. Guess it'll take the next World Cup for soccer to make up the deficit, which will overrule Sochi.
Twitter bArt
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 268 times
Received rep: 424 times

Post #8 by Twitter bArt » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:40 pm

Report: NHL to reintroduce draft-pick compensation for front office, coaching hires: http://www.thescore.com/news/527880 It had been 8 long years...
:mkbét::lr: :lr:

OOOH yeah life goes on, long after the thrill of Vinny is gone

It's too bad all the people that could really run the Habs are busy doing talk radio, writing blogs or posting on message boards.

Now, Lajoie is an imbecile, a cretin and a plagiarist, who to use author Dany Laferrière's deliciously withering expression, "lives beyond his intellectual means."

...as serious as a poutine shortage in Chicoutimi during a curling bonspiel...

Haddock wrote:I wouldn't know anything about that. I gave my soul up when I swore allegiance to the goddamn queen.

:lr: :lr: :lr:
PPJ
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 79 times
Received rep: 126 times

Post #9 by PPJ » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:07 am

Artie wrote:Report: NHL to reintroduce draft-pick compensation for front office, coaching hires: http://www.thescore.com/news/527880 It had been 8 long years...

Conveniently right after Gallant leaves the Habs.
Twitter bArt
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 268 times
Received rep: 424 times

Post #10 by Twitter bArt » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:42 pm

rumblings that cap will come in at around 69 million next year
:mkbét::lr: :lr:

OOOH yeah life goes on, long after the thrill of Vinny is gone

It's too bad all the people that could really run the Habs are busy doing talk radio, writing blogs or posting on message boards.

Now, Lajoie is an imbecile, a cretin and a plagiarist, who to use author Dany Laferrière's deliciously withering expression, "lives beyond his intellectual means."

...as serious as a poutine shortage in Chicoutimi during a curling bonspiel...

Haddock wrote:I wouldn't know anything about that. I gave my soul up when I swore allegiance to the goddamn queen.

:lr: :lr: :lr:
Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 510 times
Received rep: 673 times

Post #11 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:41 pm

Salary Cap, CBA, NHL Rul--

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
RTWAP

Post #12 by RTWAP » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:21 pm

Was reading Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-whats-happening-with-kane/) and noticed this:

28. Asked about the NHL today, Brodeur said he loves the skill of the players but is concerned about the speed making it too dangerous because they cannot protect themselves — especially defencemen. He would get rid of the trapezoid and allow slight interference, if it protects those going back for the puck. He would not allow it on a puck-carrier skating through the neutral zone. He picked Sidney Crosby as his franchise player, Carey Price as his franchise goalie, made a total homer selection of Vladimir Tarasenko as a someone he loves to watch and “can’t wait to see what Connor McDavid brings to our game.”

I hated interference on guys trying to get open for a pass, or hooking on the puck-carrier, so I'm a big fan of the new rules. But if they need to adjust somewhat then allowing more interference (no hooking) when neither team possesses the puck might be a solution. Basically a little more leeway on dump-ins.

Separate but related, I've seen guys battle each other for position as they approach a loose puck and then one of them gets a penalty for interference. That seems a little dumb. Hooking? Sure. Holding? Sure. Pushing a guy away with the back of your arm? I don't see the problem.

Return to “Enjoy edgar_dong's evening beat”