2011-2012 FUTBOL!

Jai Alai, anyone?
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 253 times
Received rep: 235 times

Post #1 by senate » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:00 pm

It's amazing that they'd leave this game to turkish refs.
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 40 times

Post #2 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:06 pm

senate wrote:It's amazing that they'd leave this game to turkish refs.

Well he is certainly making it interesting.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Registered Broad

Post #3 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:08 pm

Modric Christ what a hit
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Registered Broad

Post #4 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:10 pm

Storybook
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
edgar_dong
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 362 times
Received rep: 460 times

Post #5 by edgar_dong » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:11 pm

Ronaldo's so gay.
Registered Broad

Post #6 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Looks like the dominant PL is all but gone from the CL.

Watch Podolski score a hat trick and Arsenal beat Bayern 3-0 now
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Registered Broad

Post #7 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:39 pm

If only shaktar would have scored I would have predicted both games...close enough
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
BPR
Registered Broad

Post #8 by BPR » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:30 pm

You get your cleat that high and make contact with someone you can't be surprised to be sent off.
King Karlsson
Registered Broad

Post #9 by King Karlsson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:56 pm

[video=youtube;jH5t58FCs3k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH5t58FCs3k[/video]

This was a red card at Old Trafford about 5 years ago. Didn't see complaints there.
Registered Broad

Post #10 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:32 am

Even after the red Utd had a lot of great chances during the last 10-15mins. I enjoyed seeing RvP play pretty shit the last two games, he had some pretty good chances and could have had 2-3 between the games.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
King Karlsson
Registered Broad

Post #11 by King Karlsson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:29 am

Not arguing it was the right call, just that these calls happen and United have certainly benefited from these calls in the past. I compare it to RVP's second yellow in Barcelona for "time-wasting", both an example of over refereeing. I still think Real score yesterday without the sending off though.
Registered Broad

Post #12 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:02 am

Lifer wrote:They don't get 2 though. I'm not even convinced they get 1.

Frustrating...

They easily could have had two... RvP could have had two by himself and they had a couple of great chances off of corners.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Registered Broad

Post #13 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:28 am

Lifer wrote:Wait, you were talking about ManU? I thought you were talking about Real.

Pretty clear that the entire game changed with that red. Man U was doing a great job of the rope-a-dope, had already hit the post once, and Ronaldo was nowhere to be found. Then the red happens and immediately everything changed.

Fuck....

I am talking about ManU chances after the red
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Registered Broad

Post #14 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:46 am

Lifer wrote:And I was talking about Real scoring before the red.

Ah well my mistake
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
BPR
Registered Broad

Post #15 by BPR » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:46 pm

Hell of a campaign. Hope they bring the band back for next one as well, but don't have high hopes for it.
BPR
Registered Broad

Post #16 by BPR » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:24 pm

Just checking the lower league tables, Portsmouth are eleven from safety with twelve to play. Have to think they're dropping to League Two. Three relegations in four seasons with three administration penalties. Honestly wonder when/if they will cease to exist.
Sadly, Wimbledon look set to go back down to the Conference, while MK Dons still haven't spontaneously combusted.
Registered Broad

Post #17 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:50 pm

I thought this was neat.
[YOUTUBE]LBW3zA6mzIw[/YOUTUBE]
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Registered Broad

Post #18 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:38 am

Wish Celtic and Juve didn't match up I enjoyed rooting for Celtic and them pissing off Barca fans to no end. Hopefully you guys enjoy the rest of the season and it would be nice to see you make the groups again next year.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
pedrospecialk
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #19 by pedrospecialk » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:46 am

Can't ask for much more than the final 16, just too much quality from Juventus, and yeah tough to dislike Juventus with Pirlo, Vidal, and Marchisio on the squad.

Lichtsteiner can eat a dick though
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Registered Broad

Post #20 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:36 am

[YOUTUBE]skKBB0jA7y8[/YOUTUBE]

I am in tears from laughing
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Registered Broad

Post #21 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:05 am

vonbonds wrote:I don't get it.

The harlem shake videos? I only find a few funny. but Matri's straight face while doing his goal celebration made me die laughing.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Registered Broad

Post #22 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:34 am

Barca taking on a bus today gonna be an interesting game. Milan has a pretty good counter so if they can spring El Shaarawy they may be able to wrap things up pretty quickly on the other hand if Barca gets a goal early it's all but over. Hopefully Milan can hold on as it would be great for Serie A.

Don't think I posted about this yet, but Lennon was a class act in his post game interview after the Juve match. Usually managers have a bunch of what ifs or state they other team was lucky, but I think Lennon was one of the few managers I have ever seen just be flat out honest and I respected him for that you guys have a class act for a manager.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
BPR
Registered Broad

Post #23 by BPR » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 pm

Forgot to set the DVR today, so I shut off my phone at 2:45 and waited for FSC to replay the game at 8. They decided to completely skip the 46th-60th minutes and I missed the winning goal. Fuck Fox Soccer.

Anyway, Qatar is planning something called a "Dream Football League" in which they pay shit tons of money to European clubs to play in this tournament in Qatar in the summer. The money being discussed is enough to ensure it would be the priority of every invited team. Sounds fucking awful.
Registered Broad

Post #24 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:22 am

Niang could have easily changed the result of the game. If he scores Milan winds up playing with some confidence and they pull it out, but instead the one time I want Milan to win they choke incredibly hard. El Shaarawy clearly looked rattled as well, I don't understand how Milan can be from Serie A and defend and pass so poorly.

Quick question about Lennon. Is he getting interest from bigger clubs? Seems like whenever a manager goes on a decent runs a bigger club looks to snag him.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
stugotz
Registered Broad

Post #25 by stugotz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:22 pm

That wasn't the same Milan that plays in serie A. That was a scared team who was hoping they could park the bus and squeeze out a win. As soon as Barca went up 5 mins in, their entire team was rattled. Also when a team plays Barca they throw their tactics and the way they play out the window and try and find a quick fix to stop barca's possession football. Funny thing is the real way to stop barca goes back to how they stopped the ultra attacking teams of the past, catenaccio. Juventus plays the closest thing to catenaccio these days with their 3 man defense side backs and clogging of the midfield.

Milan are in a rebuild and really don't have that great a team yet. their attack is young but will be one of the most lethal in a couple years with Balo, Niang and il faraone. Fact is a defence of Zapata and Mexes isn't going to win you the CL. Konstant is a midfielder they turned into a fullback and it clearly showed with his complete lack of marking, and poor tackles. Montolivo leading the midfield is also a weak point. They would have been better of keeping Aquilani.
Registered Broad

Post #26 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:05 pm

No doubt Milan is in a rebuild their backline needs serious work, but Constant and De Sciglio look incredible. Milan do need a keeper I wouldn't be surprised if they went after Mattia Perin. I disagree about Aquilani I would much rather have Montolivo over Aquilani I don't think it's close either. The rest of the Milan midfield is a huge problem and I have no idea what happened to KPB maybe he was just a product of Zlatan.

I still think if Niang scores you are looking at a different team though. Juve are one of the few teams in the world that may be able to give Barca problems if they meet in the next round. Juve is incredibly sound defensively, have an incredible counter when Asamoah is on the pitch and the workrate of Juve is second to none. It also doesn't hurt that Barzagli, Chiellini and Bonucci all know how to get the ball up the pitch and rarely make defensive mistakes.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
stugotz
Registered Broad

Post #27 by stugotz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:23 pm

I'm not sold on Perin. The kids got a lot of potential, but pretty much every couple years we have found a new Buffon and it never turns out. Pelizzoli and Amelia are two over hyped keepers I knew all too well as a Roma fan. Hell even Leali, Bardi and Seculin recently have been getting hyped up. Too much of a gamble for Milan to just go with him, especially when Genoa are putting a €20m price tag on him.

As far as Montolivo goes, I can't stand the guy and the way he plays, just so ineffective for me. He can't play as the trequartista, he can't play as Regista and is fairly unusable as an intermedio. Aquilani never got a fair shake there, and now with Fiorentina he is playing great. He for me is a great intermedio and can sort of play as regista, but with Pizarro playing in that role there is no need. Borja Valero received a lot of praise for steadying their midfield and making it one of the best midfields in Serie A but I think Aquilani deserves a lot of credit as well. The only reason Monty is on la Nazionale is because of Prandelli's love affair with him, which goes back to their days together at Fiorentina. For me he is just not a good player.

De Sciglio is a gem but can't agree with Constant. he's out of position as a terzino and against bigger opponents he gets rightly exposed.

With Niang yes if he scores its a different game, but with how much pressure Barca was applying I still think they would have scored again. Messi was on his game as was Iniesta. I was really pulling for Milan, but they came out playing to lose. I think Allegri also punched his ticket out of town because of that.

As for Juve, their set up will work well against Barca, but I think their set up also makes them vulnerable against a wider playing team like Bayern, and they might have troubles with a team like Malaga as Pellegrini is really showing himself to be a capable tactician, I like watching them as he is doing wonders there. Juve's got a chance but I don't think this is there year, they really need a quality striker instead of the average ones they have now. Llorente is a step in the right direction but Anelka is two steps back. Matri and Quags should be sold as they're really not good enough for the team. Quags could be good from the bench but Matri for me isn't quality. The back 3 is fine although I must disagree about Bonucci rarely making defensive mistakes, another player I am not high on. But I think you are a Juve fan, if a remember correctly so I don't want to critique them too much, and I will also say for the record, I strongly dislike them, but am trying to be unbiased.
BPR
Registered Broad

Post #28 by BPR » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:59 pm

Just saying, but literal catenaccio was destroyed by Celtic in 1967 and the Ajax/Dutch teams of the 1970s. Those two teams played a total football style most closely practiced today by Barca. Of course the term has been used to any defensive Italian team and I guess that could include Inter in 2010 and Chelsea last season with RDM as manager, but that's an absurdly broad to the point of uselessness definition of the system.
Lennon is going to be linked to every non CL EPL opening this summer. They have more money to offer, so I am a little worried but Neil would be walking away from a young core that made it past Christmas in the Champions League and also a club he truly loves. I'm optimistic he stays, but we will see.
stugotz
Registered Broad

Post #29 by stugotz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 pm

I find 'catenaccio' is thrown around without merit. Any biased anti-Italian English media pundit will call any Italian team catenaccio. Hell at the Euro's this past year they were calling it catenaccio. I don't consider Mourinho's Inter catenaccio, completely different system. It hasn't really been used in years, I don't know one team that uses a libero/sweeper. The last team that used it I think was the Arrigo Sacchi Milan team that dominated the late 80's early 90's. I never really considered this tiki-taka football as being like the Dutch's system but I guess it is most similar. And yes the Dutch approach took down the early Herrera catenaccio with 3 defenders and a sweeper, but with the 4 defender plus a sweeper system is what I think will beat Barca, of course I could be wrong.
Registered Broad

Post #30 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:12 am

Bonucci was a pain to watch before this season, but he has actually turned into a very sound CB and doesn't make the mistakes he used to. I hated Bonucci and wanted him replaced, but this season has changed my mind even last season I thought he should be gone. Bonucci has incredible passing stats this season as well if I am not mistaken. Matri when getting consistent playing time is actually pretty good, but Conte shuffles the top so much they all play 2-4 games in a row and after that they are on bench duty. Quags pisses me off to no end he scores some great goals, but he makes some horrible decisions like shooting from anywhere and everywhere. Both will probably be gone along with Vucinic who will probably get sold to bring in a bigger name.

I didn't like Aquilani when he was at Juve on loan so that's where my dislike for him as a player comes from, and if you want to talk about Prandelli having a love affair with somebody explain to me how Giaccherini is constantly playing for the Azzurri when he rarely sees the pitch for Juve? I need to watch more of Constant in that case from the few Milan games I have watched he has seemed very good.

I think if Juve draw Bayern they can potentially get destroyed I hope to avoid them at all costs.

Don't worry about bashing Juve players I don't get upset about it and for the most part I think I am honest in most of the evaluations of Juve players. Vucinic may be the most overrated player in Serie A I can never understand why announcers talk about him like he is some dynamic player. He has his moments, but fades away in a lot of big games and is similar to Quags in making horrible decisions on the ball. I guess that's why I would prefer Matri to play at ST and have Gio in a supporting forward role. Juve's attack could potentially be dynamic depending on how Llorente fits into the squad next year. I believe him and Giovinco could he incredible as he would open up space for Gio and would allow Gio to go back to playing behind the striker. Giovinco looks uncomfortable a lot when he is playing up top as a striker.

I think Juve make a really strong push for Suarez again as he is the best fit when all things are considered including fee and wages. I also wouldn't mind the return of Zlatan or if they somehow could pull off a move for Falcao. I don't think either of those three are added though unless they can get 25-30mil from the current group of strikers. Vucinic would have to go for around 15mil plus for that to happen.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
stugotz
Registered Broad

Post #31 by stugotz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:40 am

I have an affection for Aquilani due to him being Roman, but don't even get me started on Giaccherini. You also don't have to tell me about how frustrating Vucinic is, spent a few years enduring his inconsistent play.

As for Juve's transfer market, I would say don't expect a world beater. Seems every year they are linked with a big name but can't seem to spend more than 20m-25m on a striker. However now that they have their new stadium I worry they might actually have some cash. Falcao wont be sold unless someone meets his release clause of 55m. I don't think Liverpool will give up Suarez for less than 35m-40m. Problem is City and Chelsea are looking for a striker so if Falcao or Suarez are sold its to one of them. I'd suggest Jovetic but I think his price keeps rising and he might cost 30-35. Huntelaar could be an option as well, but he already flopped in Italy once.
Registered Broad

Post #32 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:56 am

stugotz wrote:I have an affection for Aquilani due to him being Roman, but don't even get me started on Giaccherini. You also don't have to tell me about how frustrating Vucinic is, spent a few years enduring his inconsistent play.

As for Juve's transfer market, I would say don't expect a world beater. Seems every year they are linked with a big name but can't seem to spend more than 20m-25m on a striker. However now that they have their new stadium I worry they might actually have some cash. Falcao wont be sold unless someone meets his release clause of 55m. I don't think Liverpool will give up Suarez for less than 35m-40m. Problem is City and Chelsea are looking for a striker so if Falcao or Suarez are sold its to one of them. I'd suggest Jovetic but I think his price keeps rising and he might cost 30-35. Huntelaar could be an option as well, but he already flopped in Italy once.

Juve seem to have more funds than they say they do. The problem with them not being able to buy a big name striker was the other additions they made before. The last two years Juve have spent a massive amount on youth players and with the additions of other players such as Vucinic, Vidal, Matri, Isla, Asamoah, Giovinco and Lichsteiner they just choose to build squad depth. Now that they have the squad depth they so desperately needed they will have the funds I believe. They are also cutting their wage budget after this season as Buffon is taking a pay cut and Iaquinta finally comes off the books. I may be wrong about Iaquinta, but I am 90percent sure he is still getting 120k a week and that's why he wouldn't leave earlier in the year.

There were rumors in the summer Juve had agreed to a transfer with Liverpool over Suarez, but Suarez wanted to stay at Anfield. I hope Liverpool miss the CL just so Suarez is more likely to leave he is a player I have wanted since he was at Ajax. If I had to make a bet though I would put my money on Zlatan coming back. It all started a couple weeks ago with his agent saying Zlatan could play for Juve again. After that Zlatan said he could see himself back at Juve now Conte has said he would love to have him and Marotta and Nedved are also praising Zlatan and saying he would be the perfect fit. If Zlatan returns to Juve along with adding Llorente you would be foolish to bet against them making a deep run in the CL. Jovetic and Suarez are very good fits for Conte he loves striker that can control the ball and make good passes which is why Vucinic sees so much playing time. Vucinic I believe is going to be sold though, because rumors are coming out saying Conte would be fine with him leaving if he was able to bring in another striker.

My dream list looks like this.
Falcao
Suarez
Jovetic
Zlatan
Lewandowski

Falcao also released a statement earlier in the year saying Juve or Milan I have a favorite, but I won't say which. If he goes to Milan I will jump off the nearest bridge.

“I cannot rule out a future in Italy. Juve or Milan? I have a favourite club, but I prefer not to say,”

That's the exact quote. I found it interesting obviously it doesn't mean anything it's just something that made me think Juve have a slim chance to snag him.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
stugotz
Registered Broad

Post #33 by stugotz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:32 pm

I didn't know that about Suarez, still though after the season he had his price had to go up. I have also been a fan of him since his Ajax days, guys basically scored a goal a game there. If they managed to get any of the strikers on your wish list they would definitely be a favorite. Also I was reading Jovetic supposedly has a 30m release fee so he could be a realistic option. You guys will have to fight a lot of competition to get to Lewandowski and Falcao, and I can only hope that I don't have to see Ibra in serie A again, he's too good. It's going to be an interesting summer in Serie A.
stugotz
Registered Broad

Post #34 by stugotz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:41 pm

Fuck me, 3-0 Inter, Spurs choking on a bag of dicks right now.
Registered Broad

Post #35 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:19 pm

Was hoping Inter would pull that out. Serie A needs to do better in euro competition to get that 4th CL spot back
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Registered Broad

Post #36 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:39 am

Juve drew Bayern. It should be a great matchup it will be interesting. Which ever team can pin the other's wingers in their own half should be able to advance. hopefully Bayern doesn't find their form before the next leg and Juve keep rolling.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
stugotz
Registered Broad

Post #37 by stugotz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Juve have a tough schedule coming up. Bayern twice, Inter, Milan, and Lazio all within 3 weeks.
Registered Broad

Post #38 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:46 pm

stugotz wrote:Juve have a tough schedule coming up. Bayern twice, Inter, Milan, and Lazio all within 3 weeks.

Yea if they can manage to keep it a one goal game they have a chance. That schedule may kill them though
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Registered Broad

Post #39 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:27 am

vonbonds wrote:Wtf happened to this thread? :paulrus:

Still discussing some footie, why?
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Registered Broad

Post #40 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:01 pm

The announcers blowing Vucinic during yesterdays game was so annoying, they called him a world class striker and a world class finisher. He is far from both.

Also Juve confirm Zlatan talks if he does come back they better not give him the number 10
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
BPR
Registered Broad

Post #41 by BPR » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:16 pm

Are PSG actually looking to move Zlatan?
Registered Broad

Post #42 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:27 pm

BPR wrote:Are PSG actually looking to move Zlatan?

Don't think he likes the PSG fans and as I said before he and his agent randomly started talking about playing for Juve again and now both sides are talking like they want him at Juve. Marotta has confirmed that Nedved has spoken to PSG's director in regard to Ibra. If Ibra wants out like it seems like he does I think he can force a move out.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Return to “Fake Sports ... and Football”