Reading Rainbow

Jackson Pollock's semen.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 180 times
Received rep: 460 times

Re: Reading Rainbow

Post #101 by Thomas Malthus » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:15 am

edgar_dong wrote:Straight in the recycling. No other correct answer.

:lostrep:
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
"[...]all models are wrong, some are useful." - George E. P. Box
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 164 times
Received rep: 429 times

Post #102 by MP » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:42 pm

VLoo wrote:What do y'all do with your dust jackets? I always remove them when I'm reading and I'm finding that even when I put them back on my bookshelf I'm liking how they look without them, but I don't think just tossing them in the garbage is the right answer. But maybe it is. So what do you fellas do with them?

I put them on Bibles, take them to Chapters and put them on the shelves.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 44 times
Received rep: 487 times

Post #103 by Craig » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:33 pm

I've been on a bit of a tear through stuff with SciFi/fantasy elements lately. The Rook was a fun if somewhat vapid read. Ditto for everything Gaiman. Ready player one and Armada are lots of fun if you grew up playing games in the 80s/90s. I hope the movies don't suck.

I'm just finishing Three Body Problem, which is interesting and has a lot more hard sci-fi in it. It's a decent read, and the first thing I've read translated from Chinese I liked. I think it had some pacing issues and the reveal is kinda all in one lump at the end, but it was interesting. Dog might like it, as much as he likes any fiction.
Dog
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2061 times
Received rep: 1358 times

Post #104 by Dog » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:39 pm

I don’t like any fiction.

:crossarms:
mcphee
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 179 times
Received rep: 468 times

Post #105 by mcphee » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:21 am

Dog wrote:I don’t like any fiction.

:crossarms:

everything's fiction man, no one owns the truth
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #106 by Craig » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:27 am

Craig wrote:I've been on a bit of a tear through stuff with SciFi/fantasy elements lately. The Rook was a fun if somewhat vapid read. Ditto for everything Gaiman. Ready player one and Armada are lots of fun if you grew up playing games in the 80s/90s. I hope the movies don't suck.

I'm just finishing Three Body Problem, which is interesting and has a lot more hard sci-fi in it. It's a decent read, and the first thing I've read translated from Chinese I liked. I think it had some pacing issues and the reveal is kinda all in one lump at the end, but it was interesting. Dog might like it, as much as he likes any fiction.

I'm still all-in on this kick.

Most recently I finally read The Martian, which I have to admit I loved. I think it was Chimera who once questioned why anyone would like the movie because it's just Matt Damon solving problems on Mars for two hours so Chimmy, never read this book. It's just a more detailed version of that and I fucking loved it. It made me watch the movie again, which in turn made me appreciate the movie a lot less. It cut out a lot of the stuff from the book that made it great, and willingly ignored parts of it that made the science work. Like, for example, at the end the bomb on the ship to blow the door. In the book they went out of their way to explain that it had to be in a strong vessel to direct the force at the door to be effective. In the movie they just taped it to the door and it worked. Boo. I still give the movie props for being well made, interesting and managing to be a movie that loads of people go to see even though it's not some shitty sequel or remake though.

Other things I've read recently:

Annihilation: Weird and meh. I must be missing something because people seem to like this and there are sequels. I won't be attempting the sequels.

The Sprawl Trilogy: I'm not a huge fan. The concepts are good and decently executed, but Gibson has a challenging writing style that conveys things in a disjointed and incomplete way. It's frustrating because sometimes he writes dialogue that's easy to follow and engaging, but other times he just sort of leaves things unsaid. All three books were alright, but could have been a lot better.

Leviathan Wakes: This is the book The Expanse is based on. It's fun, and very well paced. Kinda the opposite of The Sprawl Trilogy, where it's very easy to follow and dialogue-driven. It's far from the best book I've ever read, but I do plan to check out the rest of the series.

Station Eleven: Normally I really dig post-apocalyptic stuff, but this one missed the mark for me. I had a hard time with the entire thing keying around a really unlikable character, and the scifi elements of a world lost to disease seemed off to me. The book is based in the Great Lakes region on the premise of 99% of the world dying to a flu. But it turns into a Mad Max sort of world, which really makes no sense. If 99% of us die, we'd all be living in mansions and drowning in fucktons of canned goods at first, then corn and such when that runs out. That really bugged me. A bad flu isn't the same as a nuclear holocaust or whatever it was in The Road.

Stiletto: Daniel O'Malley has this whole noir detective thing mixed with supernatural/scifi stuff on point. It's cheesy stuff, but I'll read whatever he puts out.

Next up is Red Rising, which I'm only 30 page in on, but it feels like teen drama shlock. Hopefully it turns around or I'm out.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #107 by Craig » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:16 am

I should add that my lukewarm review of the sprawl trilogy was a surprise for me, as I really liked Gibson's more recent stuff like the blue ant trilogy. I need to take on the bridge trilogy at some point.

Return to “Broadwalk Empire”