TV series: Grade Them 2

Jackson Pollock's semen.
AD
Has given rep: 316 times
Received rep: 390 times

Re: TV series: Grade Them 2

Post #1701 by AD » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:43 pm

Dr_Chimera wrote:Missing, season 2 - good.

The Fall, season 3 - not good.

My wife has decided that we will watch the Fall now as soon as we finish up Hannibal. (Which isn't bad y'all)
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 57 times
Received rep: 177 times

Post #1702 by Dr_Chimera » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:12 pm

A. Boom Boom Al Thawaher wrote:
Dr_Chimera wrote:Missing, season 2 - good.

The Fall, season 3 - not good.

My wife has decided that we will watch the Fall now as soon as we finish up Hannibal. (Which isn't bad y'all)

There are better British shows than The Fall. But it does have its high points.
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad

Post #1703 by Dr_Chimera » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:34 pm

The Crown - maybe the poshest exploration of white, upper class problems to date. Watch African tribesmen kiss Elizabeth's shoes as she cries bitter tears about daddy's passing. Why is there still an audience for such neo-colonial nostalgia?
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 905 times
Received rep: 461 times

Post #1704 by vonbonds » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:53 pm

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh..what do you like? Use simple words to describe it with many smilies please.
Zardoz
Registered Broad
Received rep: 148 times

Post #1705 by Zardoz » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:38 pm

Dirk Gently is a lot fun fun and worth the watch.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[SIZE="1"]Bring us your idiots, your hussies, your blue and your dreamy. Your steady, your huddled, your fisted and creamy. Your villains, your filthy, your cunts and your meese. Your carpenters and fishers and pastors and beasts. Your rednecks, your Safas, your trolls and your Brits. And like all good sailors, we like us some tits.[/size]
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad

Post #1706 by Dr_Chimera » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:52 pm

Dog wrote:Quite enjoying Rectify on the Netflix machine. Seasons 1 and 2 more than 3 (where it went a bit wishy washy silly). First few episodes of season 4 seem to be heading back on track.

Simple words: This show is morose shit and I don't know why people like it.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1707 by vonbonds » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:34 am

Dr_Chimera wrote:
Dog wrote:Quite enjoying Rectify on the Netflix machine. Seasons 1 and 2 more than 3 (where it went a bit wishy washy silly). First few episodes of season 4 seem to be heading back on track.

Simple words: This show is morose shit and I don't know why people like it.

My wife loves Rectify but I'm with you on this one. #TeamGrumpyWithAVastVocabulary
Dog
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1058 times
Received rep: 644 times

Post #1708 by Dog » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:14 am

It was not morose, if anything it was overly rosy (characters were too smart, nice and full of redeeming qualities). What it was was a slow burner, but the character depth and development was amongst the most interesting I've seen. It wasn't about plot, it was all about the characters. In fact, I think the very slow pace was in service of character development. Fundamentally, the story was about the psychological impact of the dude's death row sentence. It stunted/arrested his development as well as that of many others. The series was about the characters coming to deal with and getting past that. The slow pace gave you a sense of that arrest and, also, of his lenghty incarceration and really served the story well, I found. Also set the stage for the overall rather meditative atmosphere of the show. It was form in sevice of substance and quite well done.

Beyond that, the characters themselves were unusual and quite interesting, I thought. Daniel and his mom were very similar highly intelligent sensitive souls (the key trait that came accross in the series -it's as if this personality type was dominant in the world-, which is my main critique, people were overall too reasonable and nice). It was interesting to see how the different traits ran, to a large extent, in families.

Anywho, as someone who doesn't mind a slower pace and mainly looks for character depth in what I like to watch, I thought this was of very high quality.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1709 by vonbonds » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Amantha in her sundresses...
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1710 by Dog » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:05 pm

And southern drawl.

:doghumpspillow:
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1711 by vonbonds » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:16 pm

Dog wrote:And southern drawl.

:doghumpspillow:

Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad

Post #1712 by Dr_Chimera » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:17 pm

Dog wrote:It was not morose, if anything it was overly rosy (characters were too smart, nice and full of redeeming qualities). What it was was a slow burner, but the character depth and development was amongst the most interesting I've seen. It wasn't about plot, it was all about the characters. In fact, I think the very slow pace was in service of character development. Fundamentally, the story was about the psychological impact of the dude's death row sentence. It stunted/arrested his development as well as that of many others. The series was about the characters coming to deal with and getting past that. The slow pace gave you a sense of that arrest and, also, of his lenghty incarceration and really served the story well, I found. Also set the stage for the overall rather meditative atmosphere of the show. It was form in sevice of substance and quite well done.

Beyond that, the characters themselves were unusual and quite interesting, I thought. Daniel and his mom were very similar highly intelligent sensitive souls (the key trait that came accross in the series -it's as if this personality type was dominant in the world-, which is my main critique, people were overall too reasonable and nice). It was interesting to see how the different traits ran, to a large extent, in families.

Anywho, as someone who doesn't mind a slower pace and mainly looks for character depth in what I like to watch, I thought this was of very high quality.

tldr
edgar_dong
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 346 times
Received rep: 413 times

Post #1713 by edgar_dong » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:35 pm

Far too many words for a series that I can only assume airs on ABC or Fox.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1714 by vonbonds » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:43 pm

What I wouldn't give for her to only fart in my general direction

Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad

Post #1715 by Dr_Chimera » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:41 pm

Chance - for which niche market was this tedious inanity made? I strained to make it through one episode. Such a waste of a Hugh Laurie.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1716 by Dog » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:53 pm

Tedious, you say? I should probably watch that.
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad

Post #1717 by Dr_Chimera » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:02 pm

It has been a terrible winter for TV save for Westworld and Missing. But yes, check it out and let me know if you like it. I only saw the pilot.
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad

Post #1718 by Dr_Chimera » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:03 pm

I am going lay back, relax and watch Mr. Bean in Maigret part deux.
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad

Post #1719 by Dr_Chimera » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:13 pm

Speaking of High Laurie, I have never seen House. Is that good? Or is it just Hugh Laurie winking at the camera for an hour?
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1720 by Dog » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:15 pm

Dr_Chimera wrote:It has been a terrible winter for TV save for Westworld and Missing. But yes, check it out and let me know if you like it. I only saw the pilot.

It's not on Netflix. That's as far as my tech savvy takes me.

:why:
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1721 by vonbonds » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:22 pm

Dr_Chimera wrote:Speaking of High Laurie, I have never seen House. Is that good? Or is it just Hugh Laurie winking at the camera for an hour?

It was fun for a few seasons. Think Airwolf..suspense/drama/good guys losing for 45 minutes but the rockets always kill the baddies..err people get cured.
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad

Post #1722 by Dr_Chimera » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:21 am

Dr_Chimera wrote:I am going lay back, relax and watch Mr. Bean in Maigret part deux.

And this sucked too. Truly a cherry on top of an awful Christmas.
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad

Post #1723 by Dr_Chimera » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:21 am

Dog wrote:Netflix.

I don't know what you're talking about.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 23 times
Received rep: 181 times

Post #1724 by Craig » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:22 am

Dr_Chimera wrote:Speaking of High Laurie, I have never seen House. Is that good? Or is it just Hugh Laurie winking at the camera for an hour?

The winking thing.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1725 by vonbonds » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:56 pm

Paranoid on Netflix..very good
VLoo
Has given rep: 52 times
Received rep: 72 times

Post #1726 by VLoo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:10 pm

Watched Episode 1 of Series 1 of Black Mirror. There was a sufficient amount of pig fucking to pique my interest.
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad

Post #1727 by Dr_Chimera » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:34 pm

VLoo wrote:Watched Episode 1 of Series 1 of Black Mirror. There was a sufficient amount of pig fucking to pique my interest.

That was about as far as I made it into this specialty cable television serial.
AD

Post #1728 by AD » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:23 am

A. Boom Boom Al Thawaher wrote:I just finished Voyager and am in season 4 of DS9. I'm nibbling on those until I get to start TNG.

The finale of DS9 is an unmitigated disaster.
Germz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 99 times
Received rep: 67 times

Post #1729 by Germz » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:02 am

A. Boom Boom Al Thawaher wrote:The finale of DS9 is an unmitigated disaster.

The whole 7th season is pretty bipolar. It has a smattering of very good episodes, some of the best in the series. But the writers made some seriously, seriously bad decisions to undercut their own successes - even more so than in previous seasons. Garak has a fine episode, but yes, the rest of the finale is bad, bad, bad.
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 251 times
Received rep: 215 times

Post #1730 by senate » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:38 pm

Germz wrote:
A. Boom Boom Al Thawaher wrote:The finale of DS9 is an unmitigated disaster.

The whole 7th season is pretty bipolar. It has a smattering of very good episodes, some of the best in the series. But the writers made some seriously, seriously bad decisions to undercut their own successes - even more so than in previous seasons. Garak has a fine episode, but yes, the rest of the finale is bad, bad, bad.

The flashback montage was pretty good too. :colbert:

Actually, the finale is a serviceable episode if you ignore the Prophets story line, but that is pretty hard to do since that story line is one of the worst things DS9 ever did.

The 7th season of DS9 was so uneven because the producers tried to give the writing room more freedom, which resulting in a lot of sloppy, half baked stories and ideas. I also think the show was caught flatfooted by Terry Farrell leaving to star in Becker and they wasted too many episodes trying to figure out what to do with the new Dax.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #1731 by Germz » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:00 pm

Every time Nerys starts talking about faith I roll my eyes. But I'm actually in the camp that thinks that there are a few good Prophet episodes scattered through DS9. I liked Accession, Destiny, and Rapture. They are serviceable episodes, although not top-grade material. And I think Winn is an excellent villain at times. The Prophets are more of an annoyance in the first six seasons than a real problem. It's the Pah-Wraith storyline, a late addition, that I really hate. That storyline singlehandedly destroys the show's two most long-running villains (Dukat and Winn), weighs down much of the whole final season, and mortally wounds the finale.

As for Dax, Terry Farrell revealed in an interview years later that she told the writers that she was willing to appear as a recurring guest character for maybe half the final season, and that they basically fired her out of spite. If true that's a shame because a half season of Jadzia would have been a much better option than trying to break in a whole new character. The cast of the show had already ballooned so much. It would have allowed more screen time to go elsewhere.

Haven't heard much about the producers giving more freedom to the writers. I assume there's a few dozen blogs about this somewhere?

Best episode of S7 is Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges, but there are maybe 4-5 others that rank up there with the series's very best. And they all have nothing to do with the pah-wraiths or Ezri. Hell, two of them are holosuite episodes.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #1732 by senate » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:37 pm

Germz wrote:Every time Nerys starts talking about faith I roll my eyes. But I'm actually in the camp that thinks that there are a few good Prophet episodes scattered through DS9. I liked Accession, Destiny, and Rapture. They are serviceable episodes, although not top-grade material. And I think Winn is an excellent villain at times. The Prophets are more of an annoyance in the first six seasons than a real problem. It's the Pah-Wraith storyline, a late addition, that I really hate. That storyline singlehandedly destroys the show's two most long-running villains (Dukat and Winn), weighs down much of the whole final season, and mortally wounds the finale.

As for Dax, Terry Farrell revealed in an interview years later that she told the writers that she was willing to appear as a recurring guest character for maybe half the final season, and that they basically fired her out of spite. If true that's a shame because a half season of Jadzia would have been a much better option than trying to break in a whole new character. The cast of the show had already ballooned so much. It would have allowed more screen time to go elsewhere.

Haven't heard much about the producers giving more freedom to the writers. I assume there's a few dozen blogs about this somewhere?

Best episode of S7 is Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges, but there are maybe 4-5 others that rank up there with the series's very best. And they all have nothing to do with the pah-wraiths or Ezri. Hell, two of them are holosuite episodes.

I wonder how much Ronald Moore is to blame for DS9's spirituality garbage fire. His Battlestar Galactica reboot also suffers from religion derailing story lines, ruining characters, and destroying the final season.

There is a big contradiction between Farrell and the producers about her leaving the show. But it sounds like it was just a fight over money. On the Memory Alpha page for the finale, there is a quote by one of the producers mentioning how they couldn't afford Farrell's salary demands for a few hours of work to have her film a scene in the finale and how she refused to release her image rights so clips of her couldn't be shown in the montage.

The writer freedom being responsible for season 7's problems is conjecture. Sorry, I should have made that clear in my original post. It was a big topic several years ago on the Somethingawful Star Trek threads and the Trekbbs. The producers giving more freedom in the final season comes up in the interviews on the DVD extra features and the series companion book. The writers bring it up as a good thing, but fans over-analyzed it to explain the last season's unevenness and weirdness (particularly the Trekkie-rage inducing transporter sniper rifle and Vulcan baseball).

Also, are there any good Star Trek blogs? For its popularity, Star Trek is vastly underrepresented on the internet. With the exception of Memory Alpha, I don't think there are even any good Trek websites anymore.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #1733 by senate » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Speaking of Star Trek, I may have posted this a couple of years ago but I can't remember, Playboy made a list ranking all 695 episodes of Star Trek: http://www.playboy.com/articles/star-trek-episode-guide-part-one
TittiesNBeer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 310 times
Received rep: 168 times

Post #1734 by TittiesNBeer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:53 pm

vonbonds wrote:Amantha in her sundresses...

She'll always be Scottie to me.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #1735 by Germz » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:09 pm

senate wrote:Speaking of Star Trek, I may have posted this a couple of years ago but I can't remember, Playboy made a list ranking all 695 episodes of Star Trek: http://www.playboy.com/articles/star-trek-episode-guide-part-one

Whoa, In the Cards and It's only a Paper Moon are two of my favourite DS9 episodes. In the Cards might even be my second-favourite. And they are rated really low here. This reviewer sure has it out for Nog.

And yet he likes the finale. Strange.

A money dispute for Farrell sounds plausible. According to her, she refused to give them image rights for the montage after they used her voice without permission earlier in the season. And she was still pissed about getting killed off. Basically shit got ugly, which is too bad.
AD

Post #1736 by AD » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:37 pm

I agree with everything you said Germz. There is nothing wrong per se with the prophets storyline. But the last season mishandled it.

The non time/linear nature of their existence (a fundamental characteristic) is an interesting angle that somehow gets completely lost with the Sisko's mom appearances and the subsequent conversations.

The entire Pairaith showdown comes down to a shove from a cliff.

Even the battle with the dominion, which consistently delivered, ends with a whimper.

Unmitigated disaster.

To think this shares a name with the series that brought you All Good Things... parts 1 and 2.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1737 by Dog » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:15 pm

OA on the Netflix machine was okish to pretty good. 7.5/10.
Germz
Registered Broad

Post #1738 by Germz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:40 am

A. Boom Boom Al Thawaher wrote:To think this shares a name with the series that brought you All Good Things... parts 1 and 2.

In fairness, All Good Things was an unusually good TV series finale. Not just for Trek, but generally. There are a lot of mediocre finales out there.

In other TV watching news, I finished season 1 of iZombie and will watch season 2. This ludicrous show is good, not great, entertaining TV.
AD

Post #1739 by AD » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:51 am

That's because All Good Things didn't try to force closure on us. Most finales are an attempt by a group of people (whose main focus for years is to expand on storylines and keep interest alive) to close out all big outstanding issues and leave us with the sense that less interesting things are going to happen thus explaining why the audience doesn't get to continue watching.

All good things was just another crazy episode. Albeit one that discusses the past and the future and the greatest questions faced by humans.
AD

Post #1740 by AD » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:57 am

On the subject of great final episodes, I liked Boardwalk Empire.

For a pretty bad last season, the last 30 minutes are pretty good.
AD

Post #1741 by AD » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:58 am

The real test for a finale will be Game of Thrones.
senate
Registered Broad

Post #1742 by senate » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:39 am

A. Boom Boom Al Thawaher wrote:That's because All Good Things didn't try to force closure on us. Most finales are an attempt by a group of people (whose main focus for years is to expand on storylines and keep interest alive) to close out all big outstanding issues and leave us with the sense that less interesting things are going to happen thus explaining why the audience doesn't get to continue watching.

All good things was just another crazy episode. Albeit one that discusses the past and the future and the greatest questions faced by humans.

All Good Things didn't attempt closure because it wasn't closure. The first Next Generation movie came out six months after the final episode aired.
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 144 times
Received rep: 263 times

Post #1743 by MP » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:12 pm

A. Boom Boom Al Thawaher wrote:The real test for a finale will be Game of Thrones.

The best ending for GoT will be not an ending, but a new king/queen sits on the throne and the game continues...we just don't get to watch anymore.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1744 by vonbonds » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:22 pm

Just finished River on N'flix..LOVED it
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1745 by Dog » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:22 am

vonbonds wrote:Just finished River on N'flix..LOVED it

I will watch it and judge you through it, bonbons!!!
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1746 by Dog » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:23 am

MP wrote:
A. Boom Boom Al Thawaher wrote:The real test for a finale will be Game of Thrones.

The best ending for GoT will be not an ending, but a new king/queen sits on the throne and the game continues...we just don't get to watch anymore.

Also, Game of Thrones sucks, so, like, who cares.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1747 by vonbonds » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:45 am

Dog wrote:
MP wrote:

Also, Game of Thrones suck, so, like, who cares.

Ugh it's so overrated
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1748 by vonbonds » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:14 am

Dog wrote:

Just like mom does..feels so comforting
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1749 by Dog » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:46 am

vonbonds wrote:
Dog wrote:
MP wrote:The best ending for GoT will be not an ending, but a new king/queen sits on the throne and the game continues...we just don't get to watch anymore.

Also, Game of Thrones suck, so, like, who cares.

Ugh it's so overrated

I can see why these star trek geeks would like it, but it's vacuous filler.

:danson:
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1750 by Dog » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:46 am

vonbonds wrote:
Dog wrote:

Just like mom does..feels so comforting

You jewish, bonbonds?

Return to “Broadwalk Empire”