Registered Broad

Post #3 by Paper Jam Dipper » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:15 pm

[YOUTUBE]8PBvOxicz-0[/YOUTUBE]
IcE ColD
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 63 times

Post #4 by IcE ColD » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:36 am

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition at 4.99$ on Steam right now ('til thursday 4PM PT)
Society is actually a bunch of flawed primates guided by selfishness, fear, and superstitious bullshit.

David Wong - 19/12/2016
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 251 times
Received rep: 217 times

Post #5 by senate » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Bully is $3.50 on Steam. You people should by it.
Jedrik
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 3 times
Received rep: 2 times

Post #6 by Jedrik » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:57 pm

The Baldur's Gate for PS2 was a blast, not sure if it's the same or not.
Paper Jam Dipper
Registered Broad

Post #7 by Paper Jam Dipper » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:53 pm

X is gonna be the best game and it won't even be close. Every person who wrote off the Wii U will be missing out on killing dinosaurs in a robo-mech

Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 17 times

Post #8 by Hovercraft » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:20 pm

Paper Jam Dipper wrote:X is gonna be the best game and it won't even be close. Every person who wrote off the Wii U will be missing out on killing dinosaurs in a robo-mech

Yeah I'm looking forward to X. Monolith make great games
Vector
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 26 times

Post #9 by Vector » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:14 am

So, I'm making a game. It's almost finished.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/final-warrior-quest

If anyone wants to play the current build, PM me and I'll send you a link.

The game also has a HFBroads flavour to it. The "company" (ie: me), Game Brewery, uses a logo done by none other than Broads' own Freshie.

SopelFan wrote:This is up there on his on his list of 40 injuries with the snake bite and the busted nut.
In reference to Salo hurting himself playing whiffleball.
Paper Jam Dipper
Registered Broad

Post #10 by Paper Jam Dipper » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:31 am

Oh man, you made this in RPG Maker? I once made a game in RPG Maker. Lost it in a crash. Spent so many hours on it.
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #11 by Vector » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:57 am

Paper Jam Dipper wrote:Oh man, you made this in RPG Maker? I once made a game in RPG Maker. Lost it in a crash. Spent so many hours on it.

Yup! Started December 23rd. If I subtract time where I wasn't working on it, probably took me about 4 months. I have a copy of the game in DropBox so if anything happens to my computer there's always a near up-to-date version available.

Edit: Holy crap! Currently sitting at #20 on indieDB's top-100 list. That'll drop after I go to bed but right now that's very exciting.
SopelFan wrote:This is up there on his on his list of 40 injuries with the snake bite and the busted nut.
Paper Jam Dipper
Registered Broad

Post #12 by Paper Jam Dipper » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:56 pm

Vector wrote:Yup! Started December 23rd. If I subtract time where I wasn't working on it, probably took me about 4 months. I have a copy of the game in DropBox so if anything happens to my computer there's always a near up-to-date version available.

I easily spent around that amount of time on my game. I first spent my time designing characters and dungeons, then designed towns and the overworld and then started working on the story. The story was the hard part. I was working in RPG Maker XP. As the story would change so would the world and characters. I was pretty close to completion and could have released it how it was but I felt guilty using borrowed art and music and wanted to do that all of my own. Then my computer got virus cancer, my server got shut down and the backup DVD I made for my stuff had an error. All in the same week. God what a shit week that was.

Excited to play your game! Will do it soon.
Paper Jam Dipper
Registered Broad

Post #13 by Paper Jam Dipper » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:28 pm

I chose a wrestler because I'm a wrestling fan. Gonna gripe you on what the moves do, bare with me this is me nerding out:

1-2-3: You got it as a triple punch. Shouldn't that be more of a pin move?
Sleeper Hold: Your description is Ted Dibiase but he used a cobra clutch called the Million Dollar Dream. Roddy Piper used the sleeper hold.

I can't get by the man who makes me do the chores. Did every chore, even dug out the tree stumps but nothing happens after that and he won't conclude it. Any idea what I might be missing there? Tried pressing every button at the dug up holes. Nothing.
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #14 by Vector » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Paper Jam Dipper wrote:I chose a wrestler because I'm a wrestling fan. Gonna gripe you on what the moves do, bare with me this is me nerding out:

1-2-3: You got it as a triple punch. Shouldn't that be more of a pin move?
Sleeper Hold: Your description is Ted Dibiase but he used a cobra clutch called the Million Dollar Dream. Roddy Piper used the sleeper hold.

I can't get by the man who makes me do the chores. Did every chore, even dug out the tree stumps but nothing happens after that and he won't conclude it. Any idea what I might be missing there? Tried pressing every button at the dug up holes. Nothing.

The Ole' 1-2-3 was a triple punch. I always figured it was a sleeper hold. I'll change it to say Piper.

Did you put the shovel back? Also, two stumps are semi-hidden behind the trees. After that, talk to the old man. You can also check your inventory. You'll have the list of chores there.
Paper Jam Dipper
Registered Broad

Post #15 by Paper Jam Dipper » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:26 pm

Ah, gotcha. Probably should have been explained a bit better by the old man to put away the shovel after. So far it has some good elements. That "misty mountain" area is a real bitch, especially with so many poison inducing creatures. Maybe buffs work too well? Just a thought. The dialogue is great though. Smokey was a bit easy too.
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #16 by Vector » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:09 pm

Paper Jam Dipper wrote:I easily spent around that amount of time on my game. I first spent my time designing characters and dungeons, then designed towns and the overworld and then started working on the story. The story was the hard part. I was working in RPG Maker XP. As the story would change so would the world and characters. I was pretty close to completion and could have released it how it was but I felt guilty using borrowed art and music and wanted to do that all of my own. Then my computer got virus cancer, my server got shut down and the backup DVD I made for my stuff had an error. All in the same week. God what a shit week that was.

Excited to play your game! Will do it soon.

God damn that's a lot of crap to go through in one go. I have a friend who wanted to do all the music. The RPG community was good about giving letting people use their things as long as you give credit.

Paper Jam Dipper wrote:Ah, gotcha. Probably should have been explained a bit better by the old man to put away the shovel after. So far it has some good elements. That "misty mountain" area is a real bitch, especially with so many poison inducing creatures. Maybe buffs work too well? Just a thought. The dialogue is great though. Smokey was a bit easy too.

Thanks for the feedback! Keep it comin'. It all goes on my "To Do" list.
Paper Jam Dipper
Registered Broad

Post #17 by Paper Jam Dipper » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:22 am

In the dungeon where you have the angel statue riddle, the statue on the far right can be walked all over as if it's floor.
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #18 by Vector » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:07 am

Great! Thanks. Collision must not be defaulted with that sprite.
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #19 by Vector » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:34 am

I've made a tonne of little changes and updated the game.

One big change I'm testing is giving the player the option to toggle random encounters on/off. Trying to reduce battle fatigue in the player and let them move at their own pace.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ktotjc3u8mpvcen/1uLBLgrM4v
HS
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #20 by HS » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:14 am

Very cool. Good luck, Vector. I'll check it out soon!
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #21 by Vector » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:01 am

HS wrote:Very cool. Good luck, Vector. I'll check it out soon!

Thanks. I guess I should drop a link to my indieDB page as well but that just contains screen shots and music samples.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/final-warrior-quest
IcE ColD
Registered Broad

Post #22 by IcE ColD » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:47 am

Hey guys, looking to buy an old school RPG I've never played, on PS Vita (labeled as a PSOne Classic)... kinda hesitating between Chrono Chross and Chrono Trigger. Which one should I pick?
Society is actually a bunch of flawed primates guided by selfishness, fear, and superstitious bullshit.

David Wong - 19/12/2016
Jedrik
Registered Broad

Post #23 by Jedrik » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:25 am

IcE ColD wrote:Hey guys, looking to buy an old school RPG I've never played, on PS Vita (labeled as a PSOne Classic)... kinda hesitating between Chrono Chross and Chrono Trigger. Which one should I pick?

I don't know how you could go wrong with Chrono Trigger, since it's the greatest thing in the history of everything for legions of dedicated RPG fanboys. Was never a big RPG fan myself, but I played through most of it last year and it was pretty excellent. Something interrupted my playing it and I never got back. I should dig it up again.

Never played Chrono Cross.
Jedrik
Registered Broad

Post #24 by Jedrik » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:25 am

(Woops, mistake post.)
IcE ColD
Registered Broad

Post #25 by IcE ColD » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:42 am

Jedrik wrote:I don't know how you could go wrong with Chrono Trigger, since it's the greatest thing in the history of everything for legions of dedicated RPG fanboys. Was never a big RPG fan myself, but I played through most of it last year and it was pretty excellent. Something interrupted my playing it and I never got back. I should dig it up again.

Never played Chrono Cross.

Thanks a lot Jed, much appreciated.

I'd love for the Dr Cock to give his input here, maybe Paper Jam Dipper or Vector will chime in, but both have got 94 (CC) and 92 (CT) on Metacritic, CT is the predecessor of CC, but all in all, I just wanna know which one I should pick up first.

Of course, if the story for CT is important to understand CC properly, it goes without saying... but eh, I'm asking for advice.

David Wong - 19/12/2016
Jedrik
Registered Broad

Post #26 by Jedrik » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:18 am

I know Cockwalrus considers CT masterpiece, though I thought I recalled him being lukewarm about CC. I might be mistaken about that second part, but there's definitely some discussion of CT with him and others somewhere in the latter half of this thread if you've got the patience to try and find it.
IcE ColD
Registered Broad

Post #27 by IcE ColD » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:21 am

Sounds to me that I'll probably go CT if there's no one to add to this discussion.

I'll rely more on your memory than a search of this thread, kinda swamped lately.

David Wong - 19/12/2016
Jedrik
Registered Broad

Post #28 by Jedrik » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:28 pm

IcE ColD wrote:Sounds to me that I'll probably go CT if there's no one to add to this discussion.

I'll rely more on your memory than a search of this thread, kinda swamped lately.

This one's on me, IcE.

Should start around here:

http://hockeybroads.com/threads/15708-Dr.-J.-Cockwalrus-retro-video-game-nostalgia-thread/page18?highlight=Chrono+Trigger

Cockwalrus wrote:They could release Chrono Trigger on a dildo and I'd buy it.

Somehow that needs to be quoted on the box of any future reissue of the game.

Oh and I'm not so sure it was CC that he was so-so about -- might've been a sequel to another RPG.
IcE ColD
Registered Broad

Post #29 by IcE ColD » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:20 pm

I'll go in chronological order then. Thanks a bunch for your replies, I might buy this one before the end of the current week.

Might help make the commute seem way faster.

David Wong - 19/12/2016
Paper Jam Dipper
Registered Broad

Post #30 by Paper Jam Dipper » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:40 pm

19nazzy wrote:I played CT for the first time when it was released on the Nintendo DS. The game still holds up which is remarkable to me. Had I played it when I was younger it might have been my favourite game of all-time. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

It looks even better on the smallscreen too.

Yes definitely go with CT first. CC isn't a perfect game. It does have one of the greatest soundtracks in gaming history and some gorgeous locales but otherwise the story and characters leave a bit to be desired. Also all of the CT connections are done terribly. That said, it's still my favourite PSX JRPG along with FFIX.
IcE ColD
Registered Broad

Post #31 by IcE ColD » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Paper Jam Dipper wrote:It looks even better on the smallscreen too.

Yes definitely go with CT first. CC isn't a perfect game. It does have one of the greatest soundtracks in gaming history and some gorgeous locales but otherwise the story and characters leave a bit to be desired. Also all of the CT connections are done terribly. That said, it's still my favourite PSX JRPG along with FFIX.

Funny you should say that, I just finished FFIX for the Nth time and it is the reason why I'm looking for a new game.

Must say, you guys convinced me, just bought CT.

David Wong - 19/12/2016
Paper Jam Dipper
Registered Broad

Post #32 by Paper Jam Dipper » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:14 pm

IcE ColD wrote:Funny you should say that, I just finished FFIX for the Nth time and it is the reason why I'm looking for a new game.

Must say, you guys convinced me, just bought CT.

Awesome!

I'm looking at a PSOne Classics List. Other games to get:

- Final Fantasy Tactics (go with War of the Lions re-release)
- Suikoden (might be outdated to you)
- Final Fantasy V (it it's there)
- Final Fantasy VI (it it's there)
- Xenogears (maybe. This game is the kind where some feel its the best game ever, others hate it. I hated it but won't leave it out in case you play and love)
IcE ColD
Registered Broad

Post #33 by IcE ColD » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:31 pm

Paper Jam Dipper wrote:Awesome!

I'm looking at a PSOne Classics List. Other games to get:

- Final Fantasy Tactics (go with War of the Lions re-release)
- Suikoden (might be outdated to you)
- Final Fantasy V (it it's there)
- Final Fantasy VI (it it's there)
- Xenogears (maybe. This game is the kind where some feel its the best game ever, others hate it. I hated it but won't leave it out in case you play and love)

Tactics: already got, both on PSOne and on the Vita.
FFVI: I *think* I got it on the PSOne as well.

Will add the three others to the list. Thanks a bunch for the recommendations.

David Wong - 19/12/2016
Paper Jam Dipper
Registered Broad

Post #34 by Paper Jam Dipper » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:35 pm

I know you're a Vita guy, but if you ever pick up a DS, I'll make you a list. I probably played my DS more than any game system aside from SNES.
Jedrik
Registered Broad

Post #35 by Jedrik » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:31 pm

Same with the DS. I had so much mileage on the thing that it seemed unreal it hadn't melted yet, but then the thing got waterlogged in a housing disaster recently.

RIP LIL BUDDY
NHL33
Received rep: 1 time

Post #36 by NHL33 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:39 pm

Xenogears is a great game. Stick through it and I think you'll be pleased when finally finishing the game.

Also, not much of a story but pick up Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #37 by Vector » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:16 am

Final Warrior Quest Homepage

Made a few changes to the game. Biggest of which I added the option to just turn off random encounters. Let players go at their own pace. Also released a demo.

Final Warrior Quest Demo link

My friend helped me throw together a quick trailer too. Submitted the game for approval from Desura and am hoping to hear back, one way or another, in a few days.

[YOUTUBE]5xAWE5K2dvo[/YOUTUBE]
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #38 by Vector » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:03 pm

Apologies for the following kind of spammy post.

So my game is available to pre-order on Desura. It will be released November 13th.

http://www.desura.com/games/final-warrior-quest

There's a demo available from indieDB. It's roughly the first 30 minutes. The full game is 4-8 hours long.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/final-warrior-quest/downloads/final-warrior-quest-demo

Someone on Youtube did a 9 minute Let's Play of the demo. They really liked it.

[YOUTUBE]4sSAopxvE-I[/YOUTUBE]

My friend and I quickly put together a trailer for the game as well.

Paper Jam Dipper
Registered Broad

Post #39 by Paper Jam Dipper » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:50 am

Never apologize for art, Vector.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 17 times

Post #40 by Hovercraft » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Vector wrote:Apologies for the following kind of spammy post.

So my game is available to pre-order on Desura. It will be released November 13th.

http://www.desura.com/games/final-warrior-quest

There's a demo available from indieDB. It's roughly the first 30 minutes. The full game is 4-8 hours long.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/final-warrior-quest/downloads/final-warrior-quest-demo

Someone on Youtube did a 9 minute Let's Play of the demo. They really liked it.

[YOUTUBE]4sSAopxvE-I[/YOUTUBE]

My friend and I quickly put together a trailer for the game as well.

Never got around to trying the demo after, but I pre-ordered it. Good luck dude
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #41 by Vector » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:19 am

Thanks a lot, Hovercraft. I really appreciate it!

The game has been officially released on Desura.
Final Warrior Quest
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 259 times
Received rep: 168 times

Post #42 by vf » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:21 pm

Hope is the worst of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man.

[SIZE="1"]Recruiting for EHM 05 Online[/size]
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 251 times
Received rep: 217 times

Post #43 by senate » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:49 pm

[YOUTUBE]AgLj-vXmrmM[/YOUTUBE]
NyQuil
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 10 times

Post #44 by NyQuil » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:22 pm

You should try plugging in the controller.
Jedrik
Registered Broad

Post #45 by Jedrik » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:12 pm

The Bytown Boozer wrote:I've been playing Robocop 3 on the SNES for 2 days now & I STILL CAN'T GET PAST THE FIRST FUCKING LEVEL GODDAMNIT AAAAAAARAGHHJUHJGBGT&SWRF%^~!!@!!!!!

All old school games need the 3DS save-point feature. It's ruined me.

Return to “Video & Arcade Top 10”