Bloodborne

With Nicholas Picholas
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 92 times

Bloodborne

Post #1 by jester » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:58 am

So ... anyone else going to be getting their ass handed to 'em by uglies? I'm basically fishing for potential co-op partners, since that makes life so much easier in these games.
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 27 times
Received rep: 51 times

Post #2 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:54 am

jester wrote:So ... anyone else going to be getting their ass handed to 'em by uglies? I'm basically fishing for potential co-op partners, since that makes life so much easier in these games.

I will, huge fan of Dark Souls 1 and 2. Wish I was able to play Demon's Souls, but never had a PS3
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
jester
Registered Broad

Post #3 by jester » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:37 am

Good deal, have we friended on PSN yet (jester_PhD)? I usually don't play with a mic, but not really an issue with souls franchise. The reviews pouring in are all extremely strong. I'm trying to go back and finally beat Dark Souls after I got distracted halfway through the game, getting reasonably close to finishing it off (I think) playing it in fits and spurts around work.
Registered Broad

Post #4 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:11 am

I'm expecting this game to be great anything less and I will be pissed.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
jester
Registered Broad

Post #5 by jester » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:00 am

Oh my God, I've gotten nowhere in it ... but it's fucking amazing. Absolutely gorgeous. I need to got to bed, but going to try and get somewhere in the morning. I'm about to google how you level the fuck up, because I could not seem to find a spot to do it. I'm guessing you pick up an item in the first area that lets you do it ... so, assholes that they are, they make you fuck around with your low level self for a bit.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 28 times
Received rep: 30 times

Post #6 by Hovercraft » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:23 am

If I had a PS4 I'd be playing. Haven't played much Souls, but am super deep into Monster Hunter which is similar in a lot of ways
jester
Registered Broad

Post #7 by jester » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:31 am

It's hella hard. If the opening area is any indication, methodical does not even begin to describe it.
Registered Broad

Post #8 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:49 pm

I love how if you lose health you can quickly attack to get it back. Makes boss fights a lot easier.

That first boss fight was easy as shit
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
jester
Registered Broad

Post #9 by jester » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:14 am

RIP Timo and Mason's GAA wrote:I love how if you lose health you can quickly attack to get it back. Makes boss fights a lot easier.

That first boss fight was easy as shit

Yeah, I beat it in one go. Took me a bit to get my bearings with the combat, but I haven't died in a bit and have opened up a bunch of the first area (I think). Just need to figure out where to head next, I think. Really is a maze of a map.
Registered Broad

Post #10 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:05 pm

jester wrote:Yeah, I beat it in one go. Took me a bit to get my bearings with the combat, but I haven't died in a bit and have opened up a bunch of the first area (I think). Just need to figure out where to head next, I think. Really is a maze of a map.

Next boss bent me over backwards a couple times because I ran out of ammo. My asshole was bleeding everywhere, I should probably level the fuck up.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
jester
Registered Broad

Post #11 by jester » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:34 pm

I've read to avoid him until lvl 20. I'm close to that probably, but have been a bit methodical in leveling up my cane a couple times, and may try and do it again before moving on. The werewolves drop the shards pretty regularly it seems.
Registered Broad

Post #12 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:16 pm

jester wrote:I've read to avoid him until lvl 20. I'm close to that probably, but have been a bit methodical in leveling up my cane a couple times, and may try and do it again before moving on. The werewolves drop the shards pretty regularly it seems.

I beat him earlier, he's not that hard once you learn his patters. Just have to shoot him at the right times to stun him then hit him with a critical attack.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
jester
Registered Broad

Post #13 by jester » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:56 am

Oh yeah, he's a bit tougher than the cleric beast. Just had my first crack at him.

Quick Update: Gotta love summoning! Cakewalk with someone else to distract him. I also invested heavily early on in molotov cocktails, so have had a good store of 'em to throw around early on here, which definitely makes things nicer.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #14 by jester » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:18 pm

I don't want to provide any spoilers ... so, all I shall say, is: holy shit, a fucking gatling gun.
Registered Broad

Post #15 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:00 am

Yea that's pretty much where I stopped playing, that part is crazy to say the least
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
jester
Registered Broad

Post #16 by jester » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:59 am

I got past it last night, but did not proceed further after figuring it out. Used a safe return to level up off what I had. Pretty sure I need to farm up some blood vials before trying to advance.
Registered Broad

Post #17 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:27 pm

jester wrote:I got past it last night, but did not proceed further after figuring it out. Used a safe return to level up off what I had. Pretty sure I need to farm up some blood vials before trying to advance.

I need bullets, but they are easy to farm off the guy in the wheelchair in the house who attempts to shoot you. Probably gonna play some later, didn't play at all yesterday. I always fight the bosses solo on my first playthrough so it's a pain in the ass for me sometimes do advance.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
jester
Registered Broad

Post #18 by jester » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:27 pm

RIP Timo and Mason's GAA wrote:I need bullets, but they are easy to farm off the guy in the wheelchair in the house who attempts to shoot you. Probably gonna play some later, didn't play at all yesterday. I always fight the bosses solo on my first playthrough so it's a pain in the ass for me sometimes do advance.

Yeah, I have no qualms calling in backup. I got through that area this morning before I left for a conference. Second boss I called in support on, and made it very easy. I figure they intend for you to leverage that system. That being said, I suspect difficulty is going to get insane based on that area being this early in the game.
Registered Broad

Post #19 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:49 pm

jester wrote:Yeah, I have no qualms calling in backup. I got through that area this morning before I left for a conference. Second boss I called in support on, and made it very easy. I figure they intend for you to leverage that system. That being said, I suspect difficulty is going to get insane based on that area being this early in the game.

Usually with the souls games the game gets easier if you know how to build. Min/max your hero and go full dex or str or full caster stuff like that. If you try to make a balanced hero you will usually get shit on.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
jester
Registered Broad

Post #20 by jester » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:20 pm

RIP Timo and Mason's GAA wrote:Usually with the souls games the game gets easier if you know how to build. Min/max your hero and go full dex or str or full caster stuff like that. If you try to make a balanced hero you will usually get shit on.

Oh yeah, I'm going heavy skill based. I just have a sense things will get ugly. The gatling gun section is ridiculous until you figure out what to do. Bosses so far have been easy (one death in three bosses), but, as said, that has more to do with leaning on summons. I'm looking forward to some extended play time this week.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #21 by jester » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:09 am

So, have you had your blood spot just straight up disappear with no sign of it in any nearby enemies? I've had it happen twice ... and it's annoying.
Indrew
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 4 times

Post #22 by Indrew » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:32 pm

It seems to disappear (sometimes) if you fall off a ledge and die or if you exit the game before retrieving it.
mcphee wrote:FUCK YOU INDREW.

Lord Chezz wrote:FUCK YOU INDREW
jester
Registered Broad

Post #23 by jester » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:38 am

So ... yeah. The Forbidden Wood boss is a wee bit frustrating.
Indrew
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 4 times

Post #24 by Indrew » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:19 pm

jester wrote:So ... yeah. The Forbidden Wood boss is a wee bit frustrating.

There is an item called 'Beast Roar' or something that knocks enemies around you on their ass for a second. It consumes 2 bullets I think.

I found it invaluable when dealing with 2 or 3 at a time.
mcphee wrote:FUCK YOU INDREW.

Lord Chezz wrote:FUCK YOU INDREW
jester
Registered Broad

Post #25 by jester » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:40 pm

Cool, I'll check that out. Pretty sure I picked it up. I've only tried them a handful of times, and was on the verge of getting the upper hand with them last time. Huge range on them once they go beast. I've been fishing for a summon without luck, too. They seem like they'd be a cakewalk with a partner to distract em.

EDIT: Because I reached a point in my last attempt where it was clear that with just a bit of luck (i.e. not getting nailed with a long-range attack when I was about to vial myself) I probably would have beaten 'em, I watched a clip of someone taking 'em down (I try to avoid spoilers, and the guys actually used the same strategy I was already attempting). Holy fuck does weapon choice make a difference in this fight ... he used the axe, whereas I have the cane. The cane is super effective in a lot of ways--and I've read it gets crazy good in the mid-to-late game when the scaling starts to really take hold--but it does lack the ranged knockdown power of the axe, and damn it made it easy on him to get breathing space.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #26 by jester » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:39 pm

... so the recurring theme with these early bosses, is to get on their butts and stay there.

Return to “Video & Arcade Top 10”