Central Europe trip (Berlin-Prague-Vienna-Budapest) Now with added Munich!

For the Refined Broad. Fine Dining, Excessive Drinking, Travel, Food and Drink Review.
Dog
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1293 times
Received rep: 840 times

Central Europe trip (Berlin-Prague-Vienna-Budapest) Now with added Munich!

Post #1 by Dog » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:47 pm

Going to those four cities with family this summer. In terms of itinerary, thinking something like this:

Berlin: 5 days
Prague: 3 days
Vienna: 3 days
Budapest: 3 days

These would be full days in each city (ie. will provide two ‘extra’ days for travel time). Will likely travel by train between cities. Any cities you guys recommend spending more or less time in?
PredsFan77
Has given rep: 115 times
Received rep: 300 times

Re: Central Europe trip (Berlin-Prague-Vienna-Budapest)

Post #2 by PredsFan77 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:42 pm

Potsdam count as part of Berlin?
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #3 by Dog » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:31 pm

PredsFan77 wrote:Potsdam count as part of Berlin?

Yes.
AD
Has given rep: 480 times
Received rep: 552 times

Post #4 by AD » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:34 pm

I think this makes a lot of sense. Berlin has depth so you can spend more time there, but you don't have to. I highly recommend renting a car and going to Potsdam for a day.

I really enjoyed Budapest and I was there for 4 days a while back.

This all makes sense.
PredsFan77

Post #5 by PredsFan77 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:24 pm

Yeah I agree with naners. Potsdam is a solid day trip. Go to whatev the concentration camp is there as another full day. Are there direct trains from Prague to Vienna or do you have to go through places?
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #6 by Dog » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:55 pm

Trains all seem direct and pretty cheap. Checked the national railway sites. 4h30 hours from Berlin to Prague. 4h from Prague to Vienna. 2h30 from Vienna to Budapest. Iirc.
PredsFan77

Post #7 by PredsFan77 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:25 am

only other thing i'd say is maybe stop in Dresden for a day? literally halfway between berlin and prague
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #8 by Dog » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:18 am

I had read that. Have you been? Seems nice but I wonder if it’s worth it (considering the 4 other cities visited)?
PredsFan77

Post #9 by PredsFan77 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:21 am

i havent but it's on my list to visit. decided on Leipzig/Erfurt on my trip to Berlin last year since I didn't think I had the time to cover it properly. Figured it made sense to stop there next time traveling the Berlin-Prague route. Maybe read Slaughterhouse Five to see if any interest is sparked. Not too many places you can visit and feel like a complete asshole just for being there.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #10 by Dog » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:48 am

Selfies in Dresden and concentration camps. That’s a vacation!
habfan4
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 19 times

Post #11 by habfan4 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:25 am

I'd be inclined to save Budapest for another trip and split those three days between Vienna & Berlin. I'll third the Potsdam recommendation, save for the car rental. Take the S-Bahn Line 7 instead, it's a short bus ride from Potsdam Hbf to San Souci.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #12 by Dog » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:57 am

habfan4 wrote:I'd be inclined to save Budapest for another trip and split those three days between Vienna & Berlin. I'll third the Potsdam recommendation, save for the car rental. Take the S-Bahn Line 7 instead, it's a short bus ride from Potsdam Hbf to San Souci.

Thanks, 4. Yes, had seen that Postsdam is easily accessible by local train. We're meeting friends in Budapest, probably spend some 4 days there (they may also meet us in Vienna). Why would you skip Budapest? 3 days for each of Vienna and Prague feels short to you?
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #13 by Dog » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:59 am

Also, 4, I need (my wife will insist!) a list of Habfan4 Recommended Restaurants(tm) for each of Berlin, Prague and Vienna!
habfan4
Registered Broad

Post #14 by habfan4 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Dog wrote:Thanks, 4. Yes, had seen that Postsdam is easily accessible by local train. We're meeting friends in Budapest, probably spend some 4 days there (they may also meet us in Vienna). Why would you skip Budapest? 3 days for each of Vienna and Prague feels short to you?

Nothing against Budapest. However, three days for Vienna is a little short for my tastes. That being said, Mrs. hf4 and I are museum fiends. You've got the Kunsthistorisches, Belvedere, Albertina, Leopold (plus others) as well as the Hofburg and Schönbrunn palaces. I suspect an itinerary that involves children may differ.

Prague is nice and compact so three days should suffice.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #15 by Dog » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:19 pm

My daughter is quite keen on museums (more than my wife, actually), but we usually limit to one or two per city. More sampling than exhaustive viewing. Thanks for the feedback.

Of course, when you have time, that restaurant list please!

:danson:
PredsFan77

Post #16 by PredsFan77 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:34 pm

Kaffee Alt Wien
Didn't do the cake place heard mixed thing

Prague- Mlejnice

Budapest - blue rose restaurant. Had a four course meal and a giant beer for $10
Didn't go to the New York place, heard mixed things there too

Christmas markets were going on during my time there so supplemented dinners with street food
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
habfan4
Registered Broad

Post #17 by habfan4 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Dog wrote:My daughter is quite keen on museums (more than my wife, actually), but we usually limit to one or two per city. More sampling than exhaustive viewing. Thanks for the feedback.

Of course, when you have time, that restaurant list please!

I'll start with Berlin.

Einsunternull - 1 Michelin starred restaurant with a fairly reasonable lunch prefix. Kid friendly at least when I was there for lunch. Worth a look if you want to splash out a little.

Rotisserie Weingrün - Roast chicken & Pork ribs etc - . Good wine selection from Germany and Austria (including by the glass). Stuff you won't see at home. Nice location by a canal that is connected to the Spree.

Augustiner am Gendarmenmarkt - Bavarian classics in the shadow of the Neue Church. Added bonus of being down the street from Rausch chocolate shop. Paulaner and Lowenbrau also have restaurants (the latter being a few blocks from Augustiner). The Berlin outpost of Galeries Lafayette is also in that neck of the woods and has a few good options in their food hall.

Markthalle Neun Berlin in Kreuzberg is a smallish market with a number of food options. There is a butcher shop/casual restaurant called Kumpel & Keule that offers excellent burgers as well as steak and their in house sausage. There is a craft beer place as well whose name escapes me at present.

Kafer - The restaurant set atop the Reichstag. The view can't be beat and you get to skip the lines for the Reichstag. Go for breakfast, lunch and dinner are pricey.

Vox - Surprisingly good sushi. Nice outdoor patio. Excellent scotch list. Hotel restaurant prices.

More to follow
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #18 by Dog » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:07 pm

That’s the stuff!

:banana:
habfan4
Registered Broad

Post #19 by habfan4 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:34 am

Wien

Mostly went low key with Vienna restos. Ate at number of museum café or at whatever was available at Schönbrunn Palace. Looked at a few higher end restaurants but many were closed in July.

Glacis Beisl - Tucked away local place located close to the museum quarter. Extensive menu (decent wine and beer selections) featuring Austrian classics i.e. Schnitzel and dumpling with pork cracking. Lovely & quiet patio as well as indoor seating. Lots of local families when we went.

Augustinerkeller & Palmenhaus - Both located close to the Albertina museum and State Opera (& Hofburg Palace), so very central. The former is set in an old cellar, decent stick to your ribs style food. Augustinerkeller is owned by the same outfit that run a bunch of sausage stands that are sprinkled across the city . Palmenhaus, nice patio overlooking a park behind the Hofburg & Albertina. Solid food but the menu may be a little limited for kids.

L'Osteria - Chain restaurant (we went to the Bräunerstraße location). Relatively inexpensive and well executed Italian food. Wide menu with generous portions, both in terms of the pasta dishes and the thin crust pizza. Solid choice when you hit the pork and goulash wall.

I'll second Preds re the cake place - Which I'm assuming is Café Sacher. It was never a priority for us & Sachertorte is available pretty much everywhere in Vienna so we skipped it. The constant long lines outside the café were amusing outside, probably less so if you were shelling our 400 Euro a night to stay at Hotel Sacher where the Café is located.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #20 by Dog » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:53 am

Thank you, my good man! You have a phenomenal memory!
habfan4
Registered Broad

Post #21 by habfan4 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:16 pm

Dog wrote:Thank you, my good man! You have a phenomenal memory!

I live for vacation and pretty do all of the planning. My wife sticks to the broad strokes i.e. Let's go to Florence. Then I research the shit of the chosen location(s) and put the information I collect on restaurants, museums/attractions into a spreadsheet.
Boring Choice #2
Has given rep: 379 times
Received rep: 382 times

Post #22 by Boring Choice #2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:10 pm

i'd give you advice, dog, but i'm not sure whether places that existed in the late 90s still exist, and also, i didn't always want typical austrian food.

couple places i liked that still exist:

cafe diglas: not too far from stephansdom if you are in the area. http://www.diglas.at/
Wollzeile 10, 1010 Wien, Austria
it's a nice, quiet cafe that serves wonderful pasteries (my favourite was the chocolate-banana square). i preferred this over other cafes, but i'm not a coffee drinker and didn't care for sacher torte as i thought it was bland and dry.

there's an ice cream shoppe near schwedenplatz that made really gelato. i'm not sure if it's the same owners now, but the place that is there is called Gelateria Castelletto (Rotenturmstraße 24, 1010 Wien, Austria). i think it's the same place. http://www.castelletto.at/

for restaurants, i can't give you names of fine dining places because i forget. there was a place near the entrance to belvedere castle in scharzenbergplatz / am heumarkt that used to serve wonderful venison when in season (autumn) and otherwise nice austrian dishes year round. i don't know the name of it or if it still exists though.

there was another place right around stephansdom that sat about 10 tables and made wonderful austrian dishes, but i never knew the name and always had to wander around the side streets to find it. i doubt it is there though, because it was an older couple running the place and they didn't seemed bother to advertise for their restaurant.

but that is something you could probably do too. just wander and look at restaurants and determine if they look good to you or not.

for casual food, these are take it or leave it type things as they aren't very austrian:
as i used to walk from my apartment to mariahilferstrasse (big shopping street), i often would stop at a pizza place that sold big pizzas really cheap.
looking at a map, i think it was pizzeria mama mia (:rollseyes:) http://www.pizzeria-mamamia.at/
Königseggasse 11, 1060 Wien, Austria
again, i'm not sure if this is the place as i used to walk everywhere and never cared about the names of places. also austria doesn't like google streetview for privacy reasons, so i can't replicate my walks.

just off of mariahilferstrasse is a bar/pub called 7 stern brau. it served good austrian food and home brewed beer. http://www.7stern.at/en-gb/
Siebensterngasse 19, 1070 Wien, Austria
their main dishes are good and hearty.

there was also a mexican place north of schwedenplatz, but i won't bother finding it because no one goes to vienna for mexican food.

the only other recommendation i have is to go up to a wine house (heuriger) up in the wienerwald, just outside of the city. they will sever shitty austrian wine (grunner vetlinner) with sparkling water (gespritzt), but the outdoor atmosphere is nice and the food is very typical. you usually order in a buffet area and pay by weight. i would go up to the area and wander until i found one i liked. i wouldn't recommend it with a young kid though as it can be a big walk before deciding.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #23 by Dog » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:20 pm

Danke!

The wine places outside the city seem cool. How do we get there? Taxi?
Boring Choice #2

Post #24 by Boring Choice #2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:25 pm

i used to take a street car out there. it's a longer trip. taxi might be better.

edit: per tripadvisor
The best known area is Grinzing (end station of the streetcar line #38), but other areas such as Nussdorf , Sievering and Neustift have nice places too. Part of the fun of visiting Heurigen is to take a tram or bus out to the suburbs and wander round looking for a likely place.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g1904 ... rigen.html
habfan4
Registered Broad

Post #25 by habfan4 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Prague

This will be brief since I was in Prague for beer and got lazy on restaurant planning. All of these places are in, or are close to, the Old Town so if you're on the Mala Strana side of the river it'll be a bit of walk.

Lokal (Dlouhaaa location - http://lokal-dlouha.ambi.cz/en/) - Casual eatery featuring Czech comfort food (Prague ham, goulash, dumplings and the like). Busy place but we had no troubles getting a table as walk ins, went back a time or two for pints and snacks. They give you a card with pictures of beer glasses that the servers colour in as you sink pints.

U Medvidku - http://umedvidku.cz/restaurant/ - Used to be a brewery and beer is still the top reason to visit. Similar to Lokal in that the menu is strictly Czech favourites.

George Prime Steak - http://georgeprimesteak.com/ - Had breakfast here every morning which was included in our room rate. Had dinner one night as well - solid well prepared, imported USDA steak. Good wine list, by the glass or bottle, really well prepared cocktails. Pricey but if you're craving read meat it would be tough to do better in Prague.

CottoCrudo - http://www.cottocrudo.cz/ - Spectacular modern Italian. Despite being located in the Four Seasons and likely considered expensive by local standards, I thought it was excellent value for money. For drinks, appetizer(s), entrees and wine with dinner we paid around what you'd expect to pay for a middling meal at the Keg.

Another Italian resto in the same area that we heard good things about was La Finestra (but did not eat there).
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #26 by Dog » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:31 pm

When I grow up, I want to be a habfan4!
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #27 by Dog » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:06 pm

Think I’m going to add 3 days to da trip and add Munich. Will fly from Munich to Berlin and then train down to Prague-Vienna-Budapest. 20 days in all.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

HF4 restaurant recommendations for Munich?

Danke!
PredsFan77

Re: Central Europe trip (Berlin-Prague-Vienna-Budapest) Now with added Munich!

Post #28 by PredsFan77 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:01 pm

Dachau
Salzburg
Englischer Garten
Augustiner either Bräustuben or Keller

dont go to the hofbrauhaus
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #29 by Dog » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:36 pm

Thinking 3 days + Neuschwanstein day trip. Make sense?

Don’t think I’m going to concentration camps with a 7 year old.
PredsFan77

Post #30 by PredsFan77 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:12 pm

they have some nice groundhogs on the grounds.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #31 by Dog » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:17 pm

Potsdam or Saltzburg?

Will probably choose one of the two.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #32 by Dog » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:22 pm

Thinking this, as an itinerary:

Munich: 3 days + 1 day for Neuschwanstein and area (will rent car for this day);
Berlin: 4 days + 1 day for Potsdam
Prague: 3 days
Vienna: 2 1/2 days
Budapest: 3 1/2 days (meeting friends here)

May remove Potsdam and add that day to Saltzburg. Which is better/more enjoyable?
PredsFan77

Post #33 by PredsFan77 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:26 pm

ooo that's a toughy. if you are already going to see a palace, maybe see the castle in salzburg?

maybe if the seven year old doesnt want to see crematoriums they'd be interested in the nazi sound of music tour.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #34 by Dog » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:34 pm

PredsFan77 wrote:ooo that's a toughy. if you are already going to see a palace, maybe see the castle in salzburg?

maybe if the seven year old doesnt want to see crematoriums they'd be interested in the nazi sound of music tour.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards Salzburg as a day trip from Munich rather than Potsdam from Berlin. We'd be seeing castles in Bavaria and other palaces elsewhere. I'm a bit of a classical music geek, so would probably enjoy getting tourist trapped by a concert. salzburg does seem overcrowded with tourists, though. Not sure how "mickey mouse" it will feel.
PredsFan77

Post #35 by PredsFan77 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:54 pm

the chinese will make sure it feels just like orlando
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
AD
Has given rep: 480 times
Received rep: 552 times

Post #36 by AD » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:08 pm

Do you like ww2 history, Potsdam?
PredsFan77

Post #37 by PredsFan77 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:45 pm

Or Tom Hanks movies
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #38 by Dog » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:08 pm

Saltzburg it is!

I’ll take half a day from Berlin to visit Postdam if time permits but won’t allocate a day to it. It’s like a half hour train ride, iirc.
PredsFan77

Post #39 by PredsFan77 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:25 pm

i mean you see the outside of the palaces, you visit the bridge of spies, you take the sbahn back to friedrichstraBe. boom done.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #40 by Dog » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:13 pm

Fuck it, I’ll google earth it from my hotel room.

Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 485 times
Received rep: 321 times

Post #41 by Slick Nick » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:49 am

Dog wrote:
habfan4 wrote:I'd be inclined to save Budapest for another trip and split those three days between Vienna & Berlin. I'll third the Potsdam recommendation, save for the car rental. Take the S-Bahn Line 7 instead, it's a short bus ride from Potsdam Hbf to San Souci.

Thanks, 4. Yes, had seen that Postsdam is easily accessible by local train. We're meeting friends in Budapest, probably spend some 4 days there (they may also meet us in Vienna). Why would you skip Budapest? 3 days for each of Vienna and Prague feels short to you?

I would skip time in Vienna for Budapest... I haven't been in Vienna, but my sister told me not to get out of my way to go there as it's pretty much, in her view, a cold imperial city filled with huge imperial buildings... Budapest on the other hand, I have been to and couldn't recommend more. Magnificent architecture, cheap as fuck, great food and drinks (you can eat all 3 at a good resto downtown for about 40$ wine incl). I've only spent 2 days, and it felt really like a missed a lot.. would have traded many Croatian faggy waterfall walks and resort like time for more time in Budapest. Definitely visit the synagogue (probably the most beautiful in the world), baths are okay but quite expensive for what it is (if you want to go, better option is thermes széchenyi), buy Tokaji aszu sweet wine (as good if not better than the best Sauternes) to bring back home... they are more than half price off compared to SAQ prices..
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #42 by Slick Nick » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:59 am

Also, if you feel like it, check out Zagreb... air transat (used to?) have flights from there and Luftansa also does (transit via Munich).. Pretty cool laid back city about 3.5h from Budapest on the train.
Boring Choice #2

Post #43 by Boring Choice #2 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:04 am

Slick Nick wrote:
Dog wrote:

I would skip time in Vienna for Budapest... I haven't been in Vienna, but my sister told me not to get out of my way to go there as it's pretty much, in her view, a cold imperial city filled with huge imperial buildings... Budapest on the other hand, I have been to and couldn't recommend more. Magnificent architecture, cheap as fuck, great food and drinks (you can eat all 3 at a good resto downtown for about 40$ wine incl). I've only spent 2 days, and it felt really like a missed a lot.. would have traded many Croatian faggy waterfall walks and resort like time for more time in Budapest. Definitely visit the synagogue (probably the most beautiful in the world), baths are okay but quite expensive for what it is (if you want to go, better option is thermes széchenyi), buy Tokaji aszu sweet wine (as good if not better than the best Sauternes) to bring back home... they are more than half price off compared to SAQ prices..

Your sister is an idiot.
Boring Choice #2

Post #44 by Boring Choice #2 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:07 am

Budapest is wonderful, but Vienna is equally wonderful. They are completely, independently wonderful cities with a beautifully intertwined history. To miss either would be a shame.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #45 by Dog » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:26 am

Final itinerary is looking like this, peeps:

- Munich 4 1/2 days (including full day trips to Saltzburg and foot alps for neuschwanstein castle and surroundings). Excluding day we land, that’s 2 full days in Munich proper);

- Berlin 5 1/2 days (including Potsdam);

- Prague 2 1/2 days

- Vienna 3 1/2 days

- Budapest 4 full days.

Gonna be a long ass trip (22 days), but it’s alot of territory. Yolo, never been to central Europe -so this could set up more focused/specific later trips to parts. Then again, so many places to travel to, so little time...
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #46 by Dog » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:27 am

Boring Choice #2 wrote:Budapest is wind

Talkin slang ‘D?
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #47 by Dog » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:30 am

Lufthansa has direct flights between both Montreal and Munich and Frankfurt but none with Berlin. Weird. The itinerary also makes the flights more direct. Direct Mtl-Munich. Return Budapest-Frankfurt-Montreal.
Boring Choice #2

Post #48 by Boring Choice #2 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:32 am

Dog wrote:
Boring Choice #2 wrote:Budapest is wind

Talkin slang ‘D?

my phone must be related to nick's sister. :paranoid:
PredsFan77

Post #49 by PredsFan77 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:01 am

Dog wrote:Lufthansa has direct flights between both Montreal and Munich and Frankfurt but none with Berlin. Weird. The itinerary also makes the flights more direct. Direct Mtl-Munich. Return Budapest-Frankfurt-Montreal.

LH has left TXL to the LCCs. Air Berlin going bankrupt is an example of why LH has focused in the business centers of FRA and MUC. I want to say I read recently that they've stopped flying their TXL-JFK route that they just started last year.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #50 by Slick Nick » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:12 am

Boring Choice #2 wrote:Budapest is wonderful, but Vienna is equally wonderful. They are completely, independently wonderful cities with a beautifully intertwined history. To miss either would be a shame.

The question wasn't to chose one of the two but how much time in both you mongrélle...

Return to “Shaken, not Stirred”