Central Europe trip (Berlin-Prague-Vienna-Budapest) Now with added Munich!

For the Refined Broad. Fine Dining, Excessive Drinking, Travel, Food and Drink Review.
Dog
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1735 times
Received rep: 1167 times

Re: Central Europe trip (Berlin-Prague-Vienna-Budapest) Now with added Munich!

Post #51 by Dog » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:17 am

PredsFan77 wrote:
Dog wrote:Lufthansa has direct flights between both Montreal and Munich and Frankfurt but none with Berlin. Weird. The itinerary also makes the flights more direct. Direct Mtl-Munich. Return Budapest-Frankfurt-Montreal.

LH has left TXL to the LCCs. Air Berlin going bankrupt is an example of why LH has focused in the business centers of FRA and MUC. I want to say I read recently that they've stopped flying their TXL-JFK route that they just started last year.

Munich is a bigger business center than Berlin?
Boring Choice #2
Has given rep: 505 times
Received rep: 510 times

Post #52 by Boring Choice #2 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:55 am

Slick Nick wrote:
Boring Choice #2 wrote:Budapest is wonderful, but Vienna is equally wonderful. They are completely, independently wonderful cities with a beautifully intertwined history. To miss either would be a shame.

The question wasn't to chose one of the two but how much time in both you mongrélle...

it was more the "in her view, a cold imperial city filled with huge imperial buildings" comment which is headshake worthy.
PredsFan77
Has given rep: 131 times
Received rep: 376 times

Post #53 by PredsFan77 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:23 pm

Dog wrote:
PredsFan77 wrote:
Dog wrote:Lufthansa has direct flights between both Montreal and Munich and Frankfurt but none with Berlin. Weird. The itinerary also makes the flights more direct. Direct Mtl-Munich. Return Budapest-Frankfurt-Montreal.

LH has left TXL to the LCCs. Air Berlin going bankrupt is an example of why LH has focused in the business centers of FRA and MUC. I want to say I read recently that they've stopped flying their TXL-JFK route that they just started last year.

Munich is a bigger business center than Berlin?

Bavaria and NRW are the economic engines of Deutchland. Berlin runs into some legacy GDR brain drain issues.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 940 times
Received rep: 576 times

Post #54 by Slick Nick » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:23 pm

Boring Choice #2 wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:
Boring Choice #2 wrote:Budapest is wonderful, but Vienna is equally wonderful. They are completely, independently wonderful cities with a beautifully intertwined history. To miss either would be a shame.

The question wasn't to chose one of the two but how much time in both you mongrélle...

it was more the "in her view, a cold imperial city filled with huge imperial buildings" comment which is headshake worthy.

That wasn't an exact quote #2

anyway, great plans Dogo.. enjoy
AD
Has given rep: 664 times
Received rep: 734 times

Post #55 by AD » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:02 pm

Berlin has a terrible airport from what I hear and though the best city for tourism in Europe (well, if you like hardcore BDSM anyway), its not an international hub. I've always flown to Frankfurt which is the biggest in Europe and by far the biggest in Germany. Easy train ride to wherever as well. Munich is the secondary economic centre.

Between Frankfurt, Koln/Bonn and Munich, no one needs to fly into Berlin.
Different from UK or France where the main cultural city is also the main business, tourism, etc. city. Germany is more diverse. (Fucking Federalists)
habfan4
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 19 times

Post #56 by habfan4 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:07 pm

AD wrote:

Berlin has a terrible airport from what I hear and though the best city for tourism in Europe (well, if you like hardcore BDSM anyway), its not an international hub. I've always flown to Frankfurt which is the biggest in Europe and by far the biggest in Germany. Easy train ride to wherever as well. Munich is the secondary economic centre.

Between Frankfurt, Koln/Bonn and Munich, no one needs to fly into Berlin.
Different from UK or France where the main cultural city is also the main business, tourism, etc. city. Germany is more diverse. (Fucking Federalists)

I've flown in/out of Tegel a half dozen times and it is a laughable airport. Berlin-Brandenburg airport was supposed to open a couple of years with Tegel and Schönefeld being mothballed. But the project has been a complete disaster going way over budget - think Big O mismanaged.

If Tegel has a redeeming quality it's that Air Canada started flying direct from Toronto (well Air Canada "Rouge" but still direct). So you could avoid connecting through FRA, CDG or LHR.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #57 by Dog » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:14 pm

How is Rouge? They fly from Budapest to Toronto for my return leg, but I rather pay a little more and fly Lufthansa back through Frankfurt. Rouge seems like an Air Transat. Not what you want on a 10h flight.
AD

Post #58 by AD » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm taking it for the first time to Cancun Sunday. I'll give you detailed review.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #59 by Dog » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:18 pm

It’s fine for a sub 4hish flight, but the lack of individual entertainment system and reduced leg room would be painful on a long flight.
habfan4
Registered Broad

Re: Central Europe trip (Berlin-Prague-Vienna-Budapest)

Post #60 by habfan4 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:34 pm

Dog wrote:Think I’m going to add 3 days to da trip and add Munich. Will fly from Munich to Berlin and then train down to Prague-Vienna-Budapest. 20 days in all.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

HF4 restaurant recommendations for Munich?

Danke!

I tend to stick with the classics in Munich - Beer and pork.

Two standouts in that regard are Nürnberger Bratwurst Glöckl am Dom - https://www.bratwurst-gloeckl.de/en/home/ . Rustic place with metal plates - best white sausages you're likely to find in Munich and easy to find as it's located next to the Frauenkirche. IMHO Schneider Bräuhaus München - https://www.schneider-brauhaus.de/ is the best of the beer hall experience, fantastic beer and excellent food.

The Viktualienmarkt is a great spot - a farmer's market with lots of food/drink stalls.

I'll second the Augustiner recommendation. The Augustiner Keller location preferably for the beer garden which is located near the main train station. The central locations (Augustiner am dom & Augustiner am platz) are also good.

Sophia's (in the Charles Hotel) is definitely worth a look if you start to tire of typical Bavarian fare.
habfan4
Registered Broad

Post #61 by habfan4 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:47 pm

Dog wrote:It’s fine for a sub 4hish flight, but the lack of individual entertainment system and reduced leg room would be painful on a long flight.

You can work around the lack of the inflight entertainment - Assuming you have a tablet or a smallish laptop. They have an app that you can download which allows you to stream their movies to your own device. Or better yet, load up your own content. Not 100% certain but leg room on Rouge seems the same as what you'd expect in economy on regular Air Canada.

For me, it's a trade off. I like to avoid connecting flights, where possible, particularly in Frankfurt or Paris (or even at Heathrow).
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #62 by Dog » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:56 pm

from a quick google search, the leg room on Rouge was a few inches less than Lufthansa and the streaming to your own device seemed spotty/limited content. Would have to connect at either Pearson or Frankfurt on the way back anyhow.
AD

Post #63 by AD » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:52 pm

I think you should start a putch once you get in to a Bavarian beer house. To get into the spirit of the place.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #64 by Dog » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:58 pm

« Oh great, another tourist trying to start a putch », said every Bavarian beer house employee.
PredsFan77

Post #65 by PredsFan77 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:50 am

Only people killed would be tourist because no locals go to the beer halls you would know about. I went to some sketchy one south of the hbf and some kids toured me around Munich university bars and snorting snuff the entire time. Was quite the experience. They were kind enough to point me in the right direction to make sure I made the last train back to my hostel.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #66 by Dog » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:21 pm

Any of you guys ever drive the Grossglockner High Alpine Road in Austria?

I had a day planned to drive from Satlzburg to Fussen to see Neuschwanstein castle nearby. Would pass through Berchtesgaden and maybe go up to what used to be Hitler's Eagle's Nest as the view seems spectacular.

However, reading on line, I came across Grossglockner High Alpine Road in Austria. The starting point is about an hour south of Salzburg but it heads south straight through a pass in the alps. The views seem incredible. Thinking of ditching Neuschwanstein castle (or spending less time in Munich) to do it. I like alpine drives. Or maybe I'd just skip it, keep to original plan and do it on a separate trip to the alps. Thing is that would be more likely in the winter for skiing and these mountain passes are only open in the summer.
Boring Choice #2

Post #67 by Boring Choice #2 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:44 pm

I took the train everywhere when I lived in Europe. Sorry Doggie.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #68 by Dog » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:55 pm

:(
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #69 by Dog » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Think I'm going to do it, bitches.

Cut a day from Munich (leaving 2 days). Drive to Saltzburg for a day, stay overnight. Next day drive down from Saltzburg, do the Grossglockner pass, across the northern Dolomites in Italy and back to Austria, spend night in Innsbruck. Next day, up to Neuschwanstein castle and some Bavarian towns (or back to Munich), then flight to Berlin next morning.

Yolo!
PredsFan77

Post #70 by PredsFan77 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:32 pm

your passengers will enjoy puking
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #71 by Dog » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:49 pm

We spent a day driving in the Pyrenees a fee years ago. Was one of the highlights of our trip to Spain. Dunno, I like alpine landscapes and towns.
Dog
Registered Broad

Re: Central Europe trip (Berlin-Prague-Vienna-Budapest)

Post #72 by Dog » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:20 am

Boring Choice #2 wrote:i used to take a street car out there. it's a longer trip. taxi might be better.

edit: per tripadvisor
The best known area is Grinzing (end station of the streetcar line #38), but other areas such as Nussdorf , Sievering and Neustift have nice places too. Part of the fun of visiting Heurigen is to take a tram or bus out to the suburbs and wander round looking for a likely place.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g1904 ... rigen.html

On Vienna Heurigens, did some internetting and booked this guy: http://www.edlmoser.com/de/heuriger-ausgsteckt.html. Looking forward to that, thanks for the tip, D.
PredsFan77

Post #73 by PredsFan77 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:47 pm

i'd just buy a bottle of wine and head to the hauptfriedhof and have a drink with beethoven.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 349 times
Received rep: 166 times

Post #74 by mayoradamwest » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:28 pm

Watch the show travel man.

Also, wrap it up. :rudy:
AD

Post #75 by AD » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:22 am

Hey Mac, Dog, get out of Poland and Austria respectively and come meet me in London for some good Indian tonight.
AD

Post #76 by AD » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:32 pm

Oh and dog... purely coincidentally, i just wanted to tell you that when i was a kid, my favourite food was also octopus.

I don't know why I mention it.

Like that...

Just a factoid that came to mind.
PredsFan77

Post #77 by PredsFan77 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:50 pm

thats weird
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #78 by Dog » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:08 pm

Dog wrote:Any of you guys ever drive the Grossglockner High Alpine Road in Austria?

Do that, people. It’s the tits!
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #79 by Dog » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:26 pm

My wife wanted to visit Dachau. I didn’t think it appropriate for my daughter. So I dropped my wife off for a quick visit and I went for a drive with my daughter.

I was actually quite shocked....they’ve built right up to the memorial site. As in houses I initially thought were in camp grounds and part of the memorial, turned out to be just regular crappy housing. There is even a golf course right behind it. There’s litterally tons of farm land around -but they had to build their crappy housing and golf course right next to the site? Seemed so disrespectful. I would have thought the surrounding area would have been park/wodden land. Hardly any street signs indicate the way too. Didn’t like that one bit. Dudes, your country exterminated over 6M people and this is one of the major sites that is located in your country. Sacrifice a few more hectares of shitty suburban land.
AD

Post #80 by AD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:16 am

They do a good job of acknowledging, remembering and apologizing for the past. Let'em build a few houses here or there for crissake Dog.
Boring Choice #2

Post #81 by Boring Choice #2 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:03 am

Didn't they just pass a law this year to make it illegal to call the country or the government or the people or something complicit in the atrocities of the Second World War?

Edit:
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4556954
A Polish law that makes it a crime to accuse the Polish nation of crimes that were committed by Nazi Germany took effect on Thursday, part of a larger effort by the nationalist authorities to harness history for its larger purpose of defending the country's honour and pride.

For years Polish officials have struggled to fight phrases like "Polish death camps" that are sometimes used abroad to refer to death camps that were built and operated by Nazi Germany on occupied Polish territory during the Second World War. Some Poles fear that as the war grows more distant, new generations will mistakenly come to believe that Poles were the perpetrators of the Holocaust.

The law, however, has sparked a dispute with Israel, where Holocaust survivors and officials fear its true aim is to repress research and debate about Poles who killed Jews during the war.
PredsFan77

Post #82 by PredsFan77 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:30 am

It's a large facility. Can only really see a row of houses behind the prison. But yeah I was a bit taken a back by them wanting to live that close but alas
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #83 by Dog » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:43 am

AD wrote:They do a good job of acknowledging, remembering and apologizing for the past. Let'em build a few houses here or there for crissake Dog.

Nein! You exterminate 6M+ people and you forfeit the right to build crappy houses and golf courses right next to an extermination site. Thems the rules.

:crossarms:
AD

Post #84 by AD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:44 am

Meh... just put a plaque or something.
Boring Choice #2

Post #85 by Boring Choice #2 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:57 am

"Here lies the remains of over 6 million Jews that the Germans killed. We did not really have anything to do with it other than not really putting up much of a fight. From dust they came to dust they returned. We've moved on with our lives."
PredsFan77

Post #86 by PredsFan77 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:24 pm

I never knew there was a golf course there. All you really can see from the camp is the buildings that the police/military use as barracks/facilities and the houses behind the prison. You can see traffic passing on the other side of the camp but there really isn't anything that direction to get you to walk on that side. Once you get back to the gas chamber and crematorium it's pretty secluded and trees everywhere. There's even a short walk you can take to go by a few mass grave sites.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
PredsFan77

Post #87 by PredsFan77 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:12 pm

BUT YOUD KNOW THAT IF YOU WENT YOURSELF :crossarms:
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #88 by Dog » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:53 am

PredsFan77 wrote:I never knew there was a golf course there. All you really can see from the camp is the buildings that the police/military use as barracks/facilities and the houses behind the prison. You can see traffic passing on the other side of the camp but there really isn't anything that direction to get you to walk on that side. Once you get back to the gas chamber and crematorium it's pretty secluded and trees everywhere. There's even a short walk you can take to go by a few mass grave sites.

When you drive up to the entrance, like turn in from the street to a little road leading to the entrance, you have rows of crappy townhouses on the same side as the camp -going up to right next to the entrance. I first thought they were part of the camp /some grounds keeping or other facilities. This is in front of the parking lot
which on the opposite side of the road than the camp. Dropped my wife off at entrance and continued on that road. Same thing on the other side but houses now on both side of the road. A little futher down, you have a full neighbourhood with the camp wall now just besides the small road. At some point I wasn’t even sure if the road I was on was in or out of the camp. Then the roads leads out to a big street and we’re back in the city. There is an actual neighorhood right next to the front of the camp. Like, with a kids park in front of the camp fence with barbed wire and whatnot. Google maps doesn’t seem fully up to date, there are houses now where it shows trees in front of the camp’s entrance.

You would have known this if you would have driven around and around the camp instead of going in!

The golf club is called Golf Club Dachau e.V.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #89 by Dog » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:55 am

In Berlin now. They seem to do a much better job of acknowledging the past with their museums and memorials.
PredsFan77

Post #90 by PredsFan77 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:08 am

That's the Bavarians for you...
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 163 times
Received rep: 387 times

Post #91 by MP » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:03 pm

Why wouldn't you take your daughter?
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #92 by Dog » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:28 pm

MP wrote:Why wouldn't you take your daughter?

Because pictures and vids of torture and piles of corpses. They don’t recommend below 12 years of age.

Explained it to her, though. Ahe gets crazy interested in history and asks questions non stop. Berlin has a fantastic German History museum. We spent a good 5-6 hours there. It also covered the holocaust, so she saw some pics and like a maquette of Auschwitz and whatnot.

Last year she got a strong dose of the french revolution and napoleonic wars and this year we picked up the slack with the 2 WW and Cold War.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #93 by Dog » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:29 pm

She also showed some compassion for Hitler when she saw that he had a terrible childhood and was a vagabond and whatnot. Should I worry about this?
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #94 by Dog » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:30 pm

PredsFan77 wrote:That's the Bavarians for you...

Friendlier than Berliners overall, though. Better English and teeth too. More racist, though.
PredsFan77

Post #95 by PredsFan77 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:20 pm

Dog wrote:
PredsFan77 wrote:That's the Bavarians for you...

Friendlier than Berliners overall, though. Better English and teeth too. More racist, though.

But they make a great automobile! Conversely, the Berliners still can't open the airport they've seemingly been working on since the wall came down.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]

Return to “Shaken, not Stirred”