Banff

Travel and alcohol go here. It's like culture, for rich white people who don't have culture.
Dog
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 3878 times
Received rep: 1258 times

Re: Banff

Post #51 by Dog » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:13 pm

A hammock? You can do that? I was thinking you had to tent, greg.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 135 times
Received rep: 1591 times

Post #52 by Craig » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:22 am

I have three tents and two hammocks.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #53 by Dog » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:25 pm

I don’t know greg, I just don’t know. Do any of them have running water and electricity and room service?
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #54 by Craig » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:07 pm

Actually, the site I was on last weekend had water and electricity. A trailer would have all those things, depending on whether your wife likes to cook.
AD
Has given rep: 1344 times
Received rep: 1602 times

Post #55 by AD » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:20 am

Dog wrote:Jasper >> Lake Louise >> Banff

:croissants:

Banff >> Lake Louise/Jasper

But then again, what I look for in a vacation and what you look for are different things I suppose
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #56 by Dog » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:38 pm

AD wrote:what I look for in a vacation and what you look for are different things I suppose

I have never been on a boob cruise.
chicpea
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 3190 times
Received rep: 2375 times

Post #57 by chicpea » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:09 pm

I really think, chen, you are making far too much of the difficulty-to-enjoyment ratio of camping in the wild fantasy notions you seem to have concocted in your world/brain. I am not attacking you. I am just saying my experience is vastly different. It may be because almost everyone (aunts uncles, parents) camp as a natural part of life. Heck, even rich cousins (and my folks) went camping in the rockies on their honeymoons.

I have been camping hundreds of times (much less now - once a year), and really, the only hard part if you know where to go, is getting all the right gear. I could see how without the gear you could be miserable. But I have never been miserable camping (other than because of my family at times) - not even the time when I was 7 and we were at Lake Bra d'or [sp?] (home of Bell) in Cape Breton and it rained so hard me and my best friend Suzanne had a literal current running through our tent. It was fine. Sucked at the time but a good memory nonetheless. Keep in mind also - camping is a different experience than what your child knows I assume. It could be very eye-opening for her. Perhaps you are unlocking a future Nobel-winning Biologist? She might say she hates it before she catches her first fish or fossil or learns to start a fire or tie a proper knot or canoe to an empty island.

As for above, here is what you need to acquire over the years (unless you're rich - you can buy it all now). Another cool option is that MEC now rents a lot of stuff for first-time or occasional campers. Check it out. Great service by them. Kudos.

EQUIPMENT

Tent (2 - one for kid if she is old enough)
Groundsheet (to protect from nocturnal moisture aka dew)
Tarp - super useful for shade and rain
Sleeping bag - get one that fits and is comfy. I always use two - unzipped -one on bottom and on on top like blankets. It's luxurious but that's me - and nice if you like to make love to people like I do.
Pillow (you can also make one out of clothes but lumpy)
Sleeping pad or air mattress (pad is good enough for kids. Air mattress is a luxury but I use one now. Need an air pump - automatic? sure why not. My dad has one).
Lantern (coleman kerosene - last for 50 years)
Flashlights or headlamps with extra batteries (I really like to have both). Headlamps from MEC are reasonable and super handy I've found. I even gave my ex-fiancee one for her birthday once. Her mom seemed surprised).
Rope or cord - actually both. These are essential. You can set your tarp or hang your lap (or food if in bear country)
Duct tape
Stuff sack(s) - plastic bags will do as well. These are good for things like wet/dirty clothes
garbage bags to clean up your mess (if you're going off road).
Will also need kindling and wood. But 99% of places come round and offer you wood when you need it. If you have your own (and space), sure - bring some. Not too much (see below).
Coleman stove with burners
Coffee Percolator
Tin/Metal camping cups
dish soap
water (in case)

CLOTHING
Short-sleeved or t-shirts shirts
Long-sleeved shirts
Bathing suit + towels
Shorts
Pants
Rain gear (optional)
Underwear
Hat
warm/good Socks
Hiking boots (any good tough shoes will usually do)
good shoes
Sandals (optional)
Sweater
Pyjamas
Long underwear
Sweat pants

Other: \
toiletries (including paper)
fishing rods licenses and bait
beers
books and magazines you've been dying to read (or print off some articles)
phone charger (just in case)
newspaper and rain-proof matches for fire
marshmallows
hotdogs and buns
condiments (you can do all your shopping in nearest town so as not to weigh down your car - and it's cheaper)
pop for kids
bags of chips/popcorn
hamburgers or fish
lettuce and salad stuff
bacon and eggs (you get the idea)
coffee maker and coffee cream and sugar
juice for little one

I'm probably forgetting some things. This may seem overwhelming as it is, but remember, you have a vehicle, and this is for three people. Food you can get near the site and as needed during your trip. Two days is a good length.

Canada is blessed with an amazing system of Provincial and National Parks campsites. They are reasonably priced, on primo sites, and well stocked with amenities. Except when going off-road with friends when I was younger, I have never been to a site without running water, washrooms, electricity hook ups, fire pits, and parking. It is super easy and you always have privacy provided you pick your spot and campsite well. But like I said, the park system is amazing. No other country can rival it. It is a shame more people do not use it.

If it all seems to much for you (the list above), remember, these are things you buy over time. You can borrow stuff or make do without if need be, There's also u-tube to teach you how to do things. Pitching a tent takes two minutes if both people know how to do it.

It sounds condescending perhaps, but Parks Canada also offers a "camping for beginners" course for families (https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/serapprocher-connect/ltc-dlc). I use to use it when I worked a lot with newcomers to canada who wanted to take their kids and try. Probably not for you, but there are probably many families like yours who have no experience in camping and think it's not worth the trouble. It is worth the trouble. Highly. Can't tell you how many good experiences I've had with my dad and mom and siblings and uncles and aunts drinking beers round a fire or even catching nothing fishing.

I'm probably forgetting many things, and you'll likely curse me the first time you get rained out - but that's life and I stand by my opinion.

Craig
Registered Broad

Post #58 by Craig » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:32 pm

Surely dog only needs one sleeping bag.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #59 by Dog » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:31 pm

Question: if you’re going to be at a campground with other people and half amenities, why not just rent a hotel/motel/cabin nearby and do day hikes?

I would see the appeal of “wild” camping more than a campground, I think.

Mind you, the last time I camped was when I was like 18-20 or so and those were mostly about getting pissed drunk with friends.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #60 by Craig » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:33 pm

Fire.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #61 by Dog » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:22 pm

Are we naming the elements as they were believed to be in the ancient world?

Air.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #62 by Craig » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:23 pm

Sitting around a campfire is why car camping is popular. You get to hang out outside and fire is fun.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #63 by Dog » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:33 pm

Meh.
chicpea
Registered Broad

Post #64 by chicpea » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:23 pm

Craig wrote:Fire.

Sounds of night. stars.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #65 by Dog » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:33 pm

I like stars. They had a decent star viewing thing at the Fairmount Jasper Park Lodge “planetarium”, including a guided excursion to a dark site with neato telescopes. They also had a nice heated outdoor pool and hot tub and lakeside cabins.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #66 by Dog » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:36 pm

Are the sounds of night the same as the sounds of silence? Because I also like the latter. However, the former may also be the sounds of hyenas hunting me.
chicpea
Registered Broad

Post #67 by chicpea » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:52 pm

Dog wrote:Are the sounds of night the same as the sounds of silence? Because I also like the latter. However, the former may also be the sounds of hyenas hunting me.

The sounds of night are not in any way silence - not for one second. It keeps going. It is only the absence of cars and machines and chatter and activity. It is not, however, null. It is the sound of the thousands of creatures who live in that time talking to each other and trying to survive. If you are lucky, there will be a slight wind to quiver the trees or, perhaps, even a brief thunderstorm - which will be louder and more frightening than any you have ever heard. It is astounding.
chicpea
Registered Broad

Post #68 by chicpea » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:58 pm

Anyway, chen, my friend, I think I have now done more than is required from a reasonable adult to convince you of my beliefs, which I share with crag but who has only feebly backed me in my fight.

I'm not sure what else I can say. If you are content with teaching your daughter that you can only leave your city to go places where you pay for the same amenities you have at home (but nicer and hand-served), I'm not sure what the point is. I give up. You are trolling me now. I tried to be a good person for once. I have learned a terrible lesson.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #69 by Dog » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:59 pm

I once camped (forgot it counted as camping) 4 nights in Kruger National Park in South Africa. Little electrified fenced-in enclosure things in the middle of the African wilderness. You could pass a flashlight and see the reflections off hyenas eyes. Anywho, this was in the early 00’s and back then the anti-malaria meds were known to produce ‘vivid dreams’ (aka quasi-hallucinations). Anywho, I had very vivid and colourful (as in actually lots of very vivid colours) dreams of demons and such suchness and would wake up to semi consciously/in a haze hear the sounds of wild animals wanting to eat me which fed back into the dreams as a self reinforcing loop.

Was actually a very cool experience, I liked it.

But now, dear chicpea, I am old. I no longer crave stimulation.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #70 by Dog » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:07 pm

chicpea wrote:Anyway, chen, my friend, I think I have now done more than is required from a reasonable adult to convince you of my beliefs, which I share with crag but who has only feebly backed me in my fight.

I'm not sure what else I can say. If you are content with teaching your daughter that you can only leave your city to go places where you pay for the same amenities you have at home (but nicer and hand-served), I'm not sure what the point is. I give up. You are trolling me now. I tried to be a good person for once. I have learned a terrible lesson.

I’m a decent tourist, chic. When in Rome, I like to do as the Romans do (ie. backstab emperors). When I go look at mountains, I like to do it naturally if possible. But, nature isn’t some kind of ‘ideal state’ for me or anything. We vastly underestimate technology, which allows humans to live and flourish in many places where humans have no business living and flourishing (such as Canada, for example). But I do like mountains and woods. Lakes too, to a lesser extent. Mountains especially more easily than most things inspire awe (as does good architecture for example -have you ever visited the interior of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, per chance? that place had me more awestruck than any other place I can remember). Woods too, especially the combination of tall trees and few people, is the tits. Come to think of it, I think I like tall things. Do you like tall things, chicpois?
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #71 by Dog » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:20 pm

All this said, I would go camping with you and greg, if I’m ever so invited. No campground, though. That sounds corny to me. We’ll do it raw, fellows, living off the flesh of the forest creatures greg kills and the stories chic tells.
AD
Has given rep: 1344 times
Received rep: 1602 times

Post #72 by AD » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:09 am

Dog wrote:
chicpea wrote:Anyway, chen, my friend, I think I have now done more than is required from a reasonable adult to convince you of my beliefs, which I share with crag but who has only feebly backed me in my fight.

I’m a decent tourist, chic. When in Rome, I like to do as the Romans do (ie. backstab emperors). When I go look at mountains, I like to do it naturally if possible. But, nature isn’t some kind of ‘ideal state’ for me or anything. We vastly underestimate technology, which allows humans to live and flourish in many places where humans have no business living and flourishing (such as Canada, for example). But I do like mountains and woods. Lakes too, to a lesser extent. Mountains especially more easily than most things inspire awe (as does good architecture for example -have you ever visited the interior of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, per chance? that place had me more awestruck than any other place I can remember). Woods too, especially the combination of tall trees and few people, is the tits. Come to think of it, I think I like tall things. Do you like tall things, chicpois?

This explains why you're still with your wife.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #73 by Dog » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:36 am

She’s only half an inch taller! Not that it matters!
chicpea
Registered Broad

Post #74 by chicpea » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:42 pm

I will take up this argument again at some point over the weekend if I don't die from heat exhaustion and smoke inhalation first.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #75 by Dog » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:43 pm

chicpea wrote:if I don't die from heat exhaustion and smoke inhalation first.

That’s what nature will do for you. Meanwhile, my artificially cooled and filtered air is keeping nice and comfy and alive.

Return to “Shaken, not Stirred”