Got the tires changed over this past summer. Big job. Way harder than I thought. I found four beat up wheels from a Javelin that were the true size of the Ambassador. 14x6.got them painted to match roof which was what they did in ‘64 even though you only see a 1/2 inch of rim.
Got some new correct size whitewall tires for not much more than $100 each.
Finished it off with the original wheel covers from Indiana on eBay which almost cost as much as the damn tires. But they do look good in original. I hated the old 80s wheels.
I clayed the car down and polished it and waxed it which brought the old single stage enamel back to life from its dry look. Took 23 hours at about a half hour at a time over 2 months when I had time. Looks awesome but couldn’t get it out for final pics as we got drilled with early snow here. This pic is from before it was clayed down.
Next years fixes:
Install stainless spear in front passenger side to replace damaged one.
Touch up paint where flaking on passenger side..must have been in accident a long time ago on that passenger side.
Install new fuel pump, have it. Current ones pisses.
Try and seal up some oil leaks so I can park on nice surfaces and not leave my mark.
Pick up the missing 990 from somewhere and get that out on passenger front panel