Homeownership Thread

For the Refined Broad. Fine Dining, Excessive Drinking, Travel, Food and Drink Review.
edgar_dong
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 279 times
Received rep: 245 times

Re: Homeownership Thread

Post #1851 by edgar_dong » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:08 am

It's okay, 'rfer. None of us wanted to know how it worked out anyway. Image
selyar
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 5 times

Post #1852 by selyar » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:58 pm

just got the 3rd window in. they came out looking fairly shitty since the gaps were big and we filled them with spray foam (i don't have any method of planing wood, so if the gap is smaller than a 1x6, it's getting filled with spray foam).

We screwed the windows directly into the block walls using tapcons. note to everyone on here: do not use tapcon drill bits. buy the bosch ones, it's a night and day difference.

The windows are a shitload better than they were, and they probably look better, but until we trim the spray foam and clean up the sloppy caulk job we did, they're going to look like we installed them ourselves. Not that i really care, since we did install them ourselves, for less than $100 each, all in. Plus, one window is under the deck, the other 2 are in parts of the yard that nobody goes to. The garage windows are next, and I'll do a better job on them.
R-66Y
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 33 times
Received rep: 21 times

Post #1853 by R-66Y » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:22 am

Ordered the garage windows last night. We're getting them custom sized for an extra $15 each so there won't be huge gaps. They're in parts of the yard that will be visible from areas people go, unlike the other 3 we already did, which are screened by bushes /the deck. Plus, by getting custom windows, we'll get about 2 extra inches of window. Going with sliders in the garage vs hoppers in the basement so I don't hit my head if they're open and I'm working in there.

We also bought supplies for 4x 6" recessed lights in the dining room, since it's pretty dim in there at night even with the lights on. With my vision problems, the brighter the better, so those will be a huge help. Only thing that sucks is we have 9.5 Watt Cree cr6 bulbs everywhere else, and I guess NJ eliminated their rebate on them, since they're $30 each now. I would rather not drop $120 on 4 bulbs, but at the same time, I want them to match the look and light color /quality. Being a homeowner is expensive as fuck if you want nice shit.

This week, we bought 6 windows, 4 recessed lights and a new Honda mower, for a grand total of $1300 or so. Ouch
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 558 times
Received rep: 293 times

Post #1854 by vonbonds » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:43 am

Return the mower and get lawn service. You complain about the hours you work so get some time back, don't sweat the cost. Doubt it would be more than $50 a week.
selyar
Registered Broad

Post #1855 by selyar » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:58 am

vonbonds wrote:Return the mower and get lawn service. You complain about the hours you work so get some time back, don't sweat the cost. Doubt it would be more than $50 a week.

just got an estimate for $35 a cut. i had been trying to convince him using the time savings card, because honestly it would be a huge burden off our shoulders, but i've given up. i thought i had him convinced, and we agreed to get estimates, but the next day the mower we bought went on "special buy" at home depot, sooooo that ended that.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1856 by vonbonds » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:26 am

selyar wrote:
vonbonds wrote:Return the mower and get lawn service. You complain about the hours you work so get some time back, don't sweat the cost. Doubt it would be more than $50 a week.

just got an estimate for $35 a cut. i had been trying to convince him using the time savings card, because honestly it would be a huge burden off our shoulders, but i've given up. i thought i had him convinced, and we agreed to get estimates, but the next day the mower we bought went on "special buy" at home depot, sooooo that ended that.

He's not allowed to complain about being too busy now. Go into wife mode.
selyar
Registered Broad

Post #1857 by selyar » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:33 am

this is one issue we really don't see eye to eye on. i'm not one of those "lay down the law" wives where only my opinion goes, we usually come to some sort of compromise if we disagree, so it's really challenging for me to honestly and truly disagree with him on this, and there's really no middle ground. either we hire a guy or we don't.

yes it's expensive compared to just buying a mower, but i think it's worth every dollar for the stress relief.
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 111 times
Received rep: 172 times

Post #1858 by MP » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:46 am

Since when is mowing a lawn stressful? I actually find it relaxing and rewarding, while spending time outdoors with my brain turned off...
R-66Y
Registered Broad

Post #1859 by R-66Y » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:52 am

Since we have a section of lawn at 1:1, 3 feet high, 115 feet long along the front and side of the house. Which we're going to turn into a retaining wall or regrade to eliminate. Then mowing will be nbd
MP
Registered Broad

Post #1860 by MP » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:55 am

R-66Y wrote:Since we have a section of lawn at 1:1, 3 feet high, 115 feet long along the front and side of the house. Which we're going to turn into a retaining wall or regrade to eliminate. Then mowing will be nbd

You should just start a Mow-fit fad...
selyar
Registered Broad

Post #1861 by selyar » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:55 am

we have a hate/love/hate relationship with our grass. mostly due to an incline around our house.

R-66Y
Registered Broad

Post #1862 by R-66Y » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:56 am

Also, 35 per week means every week, since they will cut it every single week, guaranteed. That's basically from April through the end of November, about 35 cuts. $1225 in mowing, plus cleanups is easily over $1500 per year, or $125 per month spread over the year. That's equal to our combined gas and electric bill.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1863 by vonbonds » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:17 pm

OFS..you're wrong to try and ROI/TCO this between lawn service and a mower. It's a quality of life enhancement.

Selyar..there is no law to lay down or be a mean wife here. Just tell him you don't want to hear the complaining. He's chosen the path he is comfortable with, tell him to enjoy the fresh air and smell of cut grass and to never complain about it or having time to do it again.
Boring Choice #2
Has given rep: 96 times
Received rep: 107 times

Post #1864 by Boring Choice #2 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:00 pm

MP wrote:Since when is mowing a lawn stressful? I actually find it relaxing and rewarding, while spending time outdoors with my brain turned off...

even though i'm one of the people who don't mow as much as i should, i agree with this.

my lawn is about 1/3 of an acre and so i used it as an excuse to buy a riding mower. i usually cut it just before the sun goes down and the heat is dissipating, or in the morning before it gets too hot spend an hour or so just vegging out. it should also be noted that i often go over the lawn twice (once in either direction) to make sure the cut is good and that any grass clippings lying around from the first run get mulched in the second run.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1865 by vonbonds » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:02 pm

I assume you guys aren't working ~60 hours a week like OFS is though. I never said it was stressful (if I did let's pretend I didn't) but it can be time consuming.
Boring Choice #2

Post #1866 by Boring Choice #2 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:07 pm

i gave that up awhile ago so i could "spend more time with the kids".
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1867 by vonbonds » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:18 pm

Brown Socks wrote:i gave that up awhile ago so i could "spend more time with the kids".

Same. :bettman:
R-66Y
Registered Broad

Post #1868 by R-66Y » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:56 pm

Put in 4 new recessed lights in the dining room today. Injured my foot in the process, but it is a fuckload brighter in there.
Zardoz
Registered Broad
Received rep: 114 times

Post #1869 by Zardoz » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:16 pm

One of my smoke alarms went off today so I thought maybe it needed new batteries. Popped in a few fresh batteries and it started going off again. Test button does nothing, just keeps going. So God damned loud. Ripped the batteries out and threw the thing across the room. Hope we don't have a fire tonight...
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[SIZE="1"]Bring us your idiots, your hussies, your blue and your dreamy. Your steady, your huddled, your fisted and creamy. Your villains, your filthy, your cunts and your meese. Your carpenters and fishers and pastors and beasts. Your rednecks, your Safas, your trolls and your Brits. And like all good sailors, we like us some tits.[/size]
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 23 times
Received rep: 41 times

Post #1870 by Ricard_Persson » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:22 am

You might be dying of carbon monoxide. Hold tight.

Or maybe the sensor is dirty. I've heard of tiny flies throwing the alarm by being attracted to the small light on the unit. This time of year, probably not the flies but maybe give the unit a good vacuum out.

I also had a similar issue with one. I thought it was the batteries but it was actually the expiry date. They are good for 10 years and the little bastards know when ten years is up, almost to the month, which at that point the won't stop.
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 23 times
Received rep: 41 times

Post #1871 by Ricard_Persson » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:30 am

I like cutting lawn too. Sometimes I'm tight for time, but there's nothing better than looking at a freshly cut lawn.

Well, maybe there is, and I'm a bit of a lawn freak. Not sure if I have a pic, but I started the lawn from nothing. Hand raked, hand seeded with a golf course fairway mix of 75% Bluegrass. The Bluegrass takes three weeks to germ so it's quite hard to start a lawn, keeping it moist and avoiding heavy rain washouts for 3 weeks. After a few years it really filled in nicely.

I find it quite relaxing to clean up the lawn on a weekly basis.
Zardoz
Registered Broad

Post #1872 by Zardoz » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:09 am

My back lawn is about 30 feet by 25 feet. Most of it is garden, and a massive 100 year old maple (7 foot diameter)
So I use a push mower on the thinnest setting, you could putt back there. Very satisfying.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]Bring us your idiots, your hussies, your blue and your dreamy. Your steady, your huddled, your fisted and creamy. Your villains, your filthy, your cunts and your meese. Your carpenters and fishers and pastors and beasts. Your rednecks, your Safas, your trolls and your Brits. And like all good sailors, we like us some tits.[/size]
Zardoz
Registered Broad

Post #1873 by Zardoz » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:11 am

Re:smoke alarm
I don't think it's dust, I cleaned it out and same deal. I'm pretty sure at this point it's a faulty sensor. Think I'll just buy a new one. The thing is only 3 years old. Bah!
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

R-66Y
Registered Broad

Post #1874 by R-66Y » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:53 pm

Ours did that for awhile, but it was the carbon monoxide detector. Selyar called the fire department and they gave us a new one for free
Zardoz
Registered Broad

Post #1875 by Zardoz » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:30 pm

Didn't call the fire department, but my father in law came by today (retired fire chief) and was furious to see it with the batteries out in the corner, so he bought us a new one because he couldn't drive away knowing it was disconnected... Lol.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Zardoz
Registered Broad

Post #1876 by Zardoz » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:31 pm

I was at work, so I was spared his lecture, thank God.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

R-66Y
Registered Broad

Post #1877 by R-66Y » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:49 pm

Total Christmas light count is up to 2100
Zardoz
Registered Broad

Post #1878 by Zardoz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:57 pm

Trying to summon El Nino?

I've heard if you look in your bathroom mirror and say El Nino three times the bathroom will get somewhat warmer and a bit humid.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Zardoz
Registered Broad

Post #1879 by Zardoz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:58 pm

Or you can put 2100 lights on your house and El Nino will land its flying hammock on you roof.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 128 times
Received rep: 110 times

Post #1880 by vf » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:53 pm

Have LED lights not made it to Hamilton yet?
R-66Y
Registered Broad

Post #1881 by R-66Y » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:30 pm

Just installed the last 3 windows in the house. They're in the garage, custom sized, they're awesome. I should have sized them a tad bigger, but gave myself play, which is now being filled with spray foam. I will post pictures when we clean up the over expanded foam after it cures. I am very pleased with the result. Having ventilation in the garage will be awesome in the warm season... And days like today if I were working on the cars
selyar
Registered Broad

Post #1882 by selyar » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:16 am

i am on a mission to organize and declutter our house. we just moved in 3 years ago, and i don't understand how we've ended up with so much shit already. i want it gone. i'm going room by room, closet by closet. not that i have much time for this with work being insane right now. but i can't deal with the clutter. i swear we are personally stocking the shelves at our local goodwill with the amount of crap we bring there.

i'm loosely following along with this blog. she takes things a bit far for us, but the concepts are good, and its nice to have some guidelines and pictures. i did the linen closet this weekend. http://www.abowlfulloflemons.net/tag/ho ... 1-season-3
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #1883 by vonbonds » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:32 pm

selyar wrote:i am on a mission to organize and declutter our house. we just moved in 3 years ago, and i don't understand how we've ended up with so much shit already. i want it gone. i'm going room by room, closet by closet. not that i have much time for this with work being insane right now. but i can't deal with the clutter. i swear we are personally stocking the shelves at our local goodwill with the amount of crap we bring there.

i'm loosely following along with this blog. she takes things a bit far for us, but the concepts are good, and its nice to have some guidelines and pictures. i did the linen closet this weekend. http://www.abowlfulloflemons.net/tag/ho ... 1-season-3

You sound like my wife, clutter drives her bonkers. She has the time you don't have though to deal with it.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 17 times
Received rep: 71 times

Post #1884 by Craig » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:40 pm

Right, so I have a shit (3/8", at best) slab floor in my basement with ceilings that average maybe 74-75". I can feel moisture through the slab sometimes, but never have standing water or anything. Internal weeping tile + sump means I'm unlikely to flood, just general moistness.

What should I do for a floor? I'm not particularly worried about money on this one, since it's such a small space.
Dog
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 691 times
Received rep: 365 times

Post #1885 by Dog » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:27 am

Rubber?
Zardoz
Registered Broad

Post #1886 by Zardoz » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:27 am

Shag carpet.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Boring Choice #2

Post #1887 by Boring Choice #2 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:39 am

dehumidifier?
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 17 times
Received rep: 71 times

Post #1888 by Craig » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:52 am

Dog wrote:Rubber?

Is that a thing?
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1889 by Dog » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:14 am

Craig wrote:
Dog wrote:Rubber?

Is that a thing?

Probably.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #1890 by MP » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:58 am

How far down do your foundation walls go past your mud slab?
MP
Registered Broad

Post #1891 by MP » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:10 am

If you know the underside of the walls/footing is deeper, I'd remove the mud slab, excavate to a point without undermining your footing, lay 1" rigid insulation with taped joints, install whatever plumbing you need, pour a 3-4 inch slab with wire mesh. (If you want to go all out put in an in-floor heating system.)

If the slab is already at the level of the footing, you can still excavate the middle portion of you basement (say 4 feet from the foundation), and provide a smaller but usable space. Leaving the rest as storage.

Another options is to excavate and form a retaining wall tight to inside face of you foundation wall, but you have to do this in sections if you want to avoid shoring. I did this to an old farmhouse that was putting a geothermal system in the basement, but didn't have the headroom.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #1892 by MP » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:17 am

Also, you're gonna need an engineer, if you plan to excavate below the underside of the footing.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #1893 by MP » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:20 am

If you want to just go over top, I'd get a roll of the plastic egg shell drainage layer then plywood over top.

Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1894 by Dog » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:27 am

I don't think he meant "how can I rebuild my house so that my basement floor is less humid".
MP
Registered Broad

Post #1895 by MP » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:31 am

Dog wrote:I don't think he meant "how can I rebuild my house so that my basement floor is less humid".

I'm not rebuilding the house, just scooping out its innards like a pumpkin...I also gave him the drainage layer option.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1896 by Dog » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:34 am

Yeah, just saw that. I agree with the rubber floor option, Greg.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #1897 by MP » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:22 am

Dog wrote:Yeah, just saw that. I agree with the rubber floor option, Greg.

Plastic.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1898 by Dog » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:49 am

Petroleum derivative.
AD
Has given rep: 167 times
Received rep: 218 times