Page 1 of 44

Homeownership Thread

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:13 pm
by MP
So I took down my Christmas lights and raked my dead grass on the weekend. Bring on spring!

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:15 pm
by AD
MP wrote:So I took down my Christmas lights and raked my dead grass on the weekend. Bring on spring!


I'm clearing a path through the snow to the bbq in 5 minutes.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:17 pm
by MP
My deck has been clear for a couple weeks now.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:36 pm
by Jedrik
AD wrote:I'm clearing a path through the snow to the bbq in 5 minutes.


Seriously. Was supposed to rain all weekend up in this shit to melt the ski slope that's decorating my barbecue right now.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:03 pm
by Craig
I was going to rake the dead grass on the weekend, but I took a nap instead. Maybe some day this week.

I did set all my seeds up to germinate. Now I just need to turn the garden.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:31 am
by PPJ
What's a good cheap and safe surface for a children's playground area. I looked into poured rubber compound, but I'tll cost about $4000 bucks. Fuck that shit.

Beach sand will attract cats. Fuck that shit.

Wood chips? There's a place that will give me 8 yards for free.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:15 am
by clawfirst
Grass Joe. Seed now. lots of rye grass to get it started.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:24 am
by MP
clawfirst wrote:Grass Joe. Seed now. lots of rye grass to get it started.


I'd go grass or pea gravel.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:26 am
by MP
Big#D wrote:My grass stays wet for too long. I may have to rake / dethatch with sopping wet grass anyways. I bought dethatcher and aerator attachments for my riding mower this year because a) I'm lazy, b) I want to continue my work fixing my fucked up grass, and c) I get to continue goofing around with tools like the old man I'm becoming.


You got a riding mower for your suburban lot? :stare:

In terms of lawn aerator, I got one of those two pronged step tool for like $10...

Image

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:16 pm
by MP
Big#D wrote:I have a biggish yard. 60 ft at the front, 120 ft at the back, 170 on one side and 190 on the other side. It's around 1/3 of an acre (15k-16k sq ft)


Uh-huh... Still not a reason to have a riding mower, you lazy bum!

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:18 pm
by PPJ
clawfirst wrote:Grass Joe. Seed now. lots of rye grass to get it started.


Grass don't grow there and the ground is clay which hardens to cement when it's dry during the summer.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:23 pm
by MP
MP wrote:Uh-huh... Still not a reason to have a riding mower, you lazy bum!


Unless of course you're using your tractor as compensation for something lacking in your life, then by all means carry on.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:25 pm
by MP
Psycho Papa Joe wrote:Grass don't grow there and the ground is clay which hardens to cement when it's dry during the summer.


I dislike wood chips, so I'd recommend a washed pea gravel, but the gravel can make things "fun" when mowing he lawn...

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:46 pm
by PPJ
I'm looking for a soft landing should one of the kids fall out of the clubhouse. Not sure if gravel is the right choice.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:17 pm
by PPJ
Big#D wrote:pretty much everyone who lives on a big lot on my street has one. :colbert:


i started out without one, but it takes somewhere between an hour and two to cut the grass. with the riding mower, it doesn't take much less time, but it's much more enjoyable.


.... Only if equipped with a beer can holder.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:29 pm
by MP
Psycho Papa Joe wrote:I'm looking for a soft landing should one of the kids fall out of the clubhouse. Not sure if gravel is the right choice.


Image

Is probably your best low maintenance as it'll never bind up and become hard like sand does. They do tend to get everywhere though (also don't invite Ad's kid over to play, he'll fill his pockets with your stones and steal them.)

Wood chips are also an option, but they tend to rot and have to be replaced.

Maybe you should just invest in some bubble wrap and wrap you kids in it...

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:48 pm
by Craig
Have you considered building an outdoor ball pit?

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:53 pm
by Not
Still have over 2 ft of snow :crossarms:

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:07 pm
by PPJ
MP wrote:Image

Is probably your best low maintenance as it'll never bind up and become hard like sand does. They do tend to get everywhere though (also don't invite Ad's kid over to play, he'll fill his pockets with your stones and steal them.)

Wood chips are also an option, but they tend to rot and have to be replaced.

Maybe you should just invest in some bubble wrap and wrap you kids in it...


How the hell to you get rid of them once you're done with them? At least would wood chips, they eventually decompose.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:07 pm
by PPJ
Craig wrote:Have you considered building an outdoor ball pit?


I have set up temporary ones for kids parties.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:09 pm
by MP
Psycho Papa Joe wrote:How the hell to you get rid of them once you're done with them? At least would wood chips, they eventually decompose.


Well, that's a different issue...

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:22 pm
by PPJ
MP wrote:Well, that's a different issue...


:crossarms:

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:56 pm
by Roughneck
Big#D wrote:My grass stays wet for too long. I may have to rake / dethatch with sopping wet grass anyways. I bought dethatcher and aerator attachments for my riding mower this year because a) I'm lazy, b) I want to continue my work fixing my fucked up grass, and c) I get to continue goofing around with tools like the old man I'm becoming.


here you can see it behind the rink:
Image


If your kids aren't going all the way to the NHL (or a free Div I education if you have a daughter), tell them that they're going to have to suck it up and not have a rink anymore for the sake of your lawn. They'll understand.

Mulch beds around the trees would also be beneficial (better for the trees, better for the grass, better to look at).

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:25 pm
by AD
Psycho Papa Joe wrote:How the hell to you get rid of them once you're done with them? At least would wood chips, they eventually decompose.


Children decompose too. Except the bones. I hear a couple of pigs will chew right through the bones.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:23 pm
by PPJ
D, you appear to back on to a wooded area. Make sure you own the fence before you tear it down. It may belong to the city.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:23 pm
by PPJ
AD wrote:Children decompose too. Except the bones. I hear a couple of pigs will chew right through the bones.


:stare:

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:24 pm
by PPJ
AD, you need a vacation. Just tell the wife it's a business trip.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:54 pm
by PPJ
Big#D wrote:I might not, but it's in complete disrepair and is a hazard. I've already considered calling the city to see what to do about it.


Just call and ask if you need a permit or something. Cities can be assholes about that type of thing.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:52 pm
by Shawnathan Horcoff
Psycho Papa Joe wrote:I'm looking for a soft landing should one of the kids fall out of the clubhouse.


Jesus Christ, I suppose you send them to the ER when they've got a bruis--

Oh...right. :mcphee:

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:08 pm
by habfan4
Home ownership thread? I thought all renovation and domestic tranquility issues were to be sussed out on the Habs broad?

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:17 am
by PPJ
habfan4 wrote:Home ownership thread? I thought all renovation and domestic tranquility issues were to be sussed out on the Habs broad?


Easiest way to get Claw and MP out of our board :paranoid:

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:46 am
by PPJ
Lord Chezz wrote:My yard is still 90% covered in snow.

But I can start to see all the dog shit beginning to see the light.

Soooo much dog shit.... :why:


Fertilizer!

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:08 am
by Craig
My seeds from last year are (almost) all sprouting. Faster than I expected, I might run into trouble waiting for the last frost.

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:59 pm
by MP
My garlic and rhubarb has already sprouted.

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:18 pm
by Craig
Is growing your own garlic worth it?

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:35 pm
by MP
Craig wrote:Is growing your own garlic worth it?


It's pretty easy to grow, and you get scapes to eat which is something different.

Basically, pick up a locally grown bulb, break it up into individual pieces, plant in ground, each piece becomes it's own bulb.

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:36 pm
by Craig
Maybe I'll give that a go, if I have any space left. I'm sure the raccoons and the rabbits will just eat it, but whatever.

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:44 pm
by Jedrik
Need ideas for an enclosure for a lawn mower in the backyard, one that'll take up about as much space as needed for the mower and that's it. It's a townhouse middle unit wth no access except through the main floor living area, so the easiest thing for me is havng one mower for the back out there the entire season.

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:18 am
by Ricard_Persson
Snow is leaving now and my lawn is destroyed from coons and skunks digging up the white grubs, that this area has been plagued with for the last bunch of years. I forgot how ripped up it was in the fall. Now it's nasty.

My sweet lawn with a custom mix of high % bluegrasses, was once a jewel, now a turd.

Oh well, I'll be polishing a turd in the next few weeks.

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:01 am
by MP
Jedrik wrote:Need ideas for an enclosure for a lawn mower in the backyard, one that'll take up about as much space as needed for the mower and that's it. It's a townhouse middle unit wth no access except through the main floor living area, so the easiest thing for me is havng one mower for the back out there the entire season.


A tarp?

A small shed?