Spain - Specifically Madrid and Parts South

For the Refined Broad. Fine Dining, Excessive Drinking, Travel, Food and Drink Review.
Dog
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1065 times
Received rep: 653 times

Post #51 by Dog » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:00 pm

Wife seems to want to do some beach.

:why:

Costa Brava or Costa del Sol? I'm leaning towards renting a car from Barcelona and heading up to Costa Brava -was thinking of going to Figueres for the Dali museum anywho (has anybody gone? Seems surreal, the way it should be, I guess). I couldn't stand the drunk Brits down in Costa del sol. Have never been to either "costa", so would appreciate input if anybody has any. Would likely not go to Granada instead. Would do Cordoba as a day trip from Sevilla.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 314 times
Received rep: 222 times

Post #52 by Slick Nick » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:48 pm

I didn't go to Madrid but most people I know said it wasn't worth staying much more than 2 days. Toledo is great apprently.

As for the south, I suggest staying a couple of days in Malaga, really nice relaxed place, very green compared to the rest of Andalusia. Very cheap, good food, it's an hour and half from Granada and 1:45 from Gibraltar.

Granada is definitly worth visiting, we only spent a day there to see the Alhambra, would've stayed a day or two but not much more.

Gibraltar was one the magic moments in the trip. Everybody told us not to go because it's just a rock, but the view from that rock is really something. Hanging out with the monkeys and visiting the caves, pretty nice way to spend a day. If you do go, expect an hour to get in and get out because you need to go through the customs. Also, bring some food and water, there's only one little restaurant at the top and they sell 5euro hot dogs...

Cadiz is a cute city but we stayed 3 days which was waaaaay too much, it's expensive too. If there was one thing I would have done differently it would be to skip Cadiz and take a ferry to Tangier.

If you do consider going to Marocco, check out the ferries from Tarfia. I also suggest spending a day or two in the Tarifa region, really nice little party city. There's a beach called playa Bolonia about 30 mins of drive from Tarifa that you should really consider. All the locals told us it was the greatest beach in Andalusia, and in my experience it was. Crystal clear water, roman ruins, green hills, view on afirca...

I didn't like Seville that much.. first, it's incredibly hot. expect 45C. I really don't manage that kind of heat well, so there's that. The cathedral is really nice, the Alcazar is worth it even if you went to the Alhambra, less crowded too, the streets have something too, but overall meh.. maybe my expectations were too high.

My sister loved Cordoba, but we didn't have time for it. Don't go to Jerez..

The pic is from Bolonia, the mountains you see is Marocco.

Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #53 by Slick Nick » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:58 pm

PredsFan77 wrote:Looks like I'm going to London instead.

Should have read the fred, eh.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #54 by Slick Nick » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:11 pm

Dog wrote:We've settled on Spain for this summer's family vacation (with wife and 5 year old daughter). About 12-14 days.

The rough itinerary i'm think is this -would appreciate thoughts/comments:

- madrid for about 4-5 days (with day trips to Toledo and Segovia);
- train down to Cordoba (1 night)
- train down to sevilla (1-2 nights)
- train to granada (1 night)
- flight to Barcelona for about 4-5 days (with day trip to monserrat and Dali museum). I've been to Barcelona, wife hasn't.

Thoughts? Better to rent a car than take the train (train seems convenient)?

My only advice is to reconsider the 4-5 days in Madrid.. your wife and kid would probably enjoy spening time near the sea, and it's not like there's nothing to do in Malaga or elsewhere in the region, apprently Valencia is great too... In Malaga there's the Picasso museum, the botanical garden is incredible, Alcazba and some roman ruins, the city is really nice as a whole and you can easily manage Granada/Alhambra in one aller-retour day from Malaga.

Also, check out the flights.. Transat has direct flights to Madrid, Barcelona and Malaga, so you could manage something in a more linear way.
AD
Has given rep: 322 times
Received rep: 394 times

Post #55 by AD » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:03 am

Slick Nick wrote:Also, check out the flights.. Transat has direct flights to Madrid, Barcelona and Malaga, so you could manage something in a more linear way.

Slique livre la marchandise.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #56 by Dog » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:35 am

My beef with Costa del sol is that it seems utterly saturated with boorish british/northern european tourists. An artificial place with timeshare condos and hotels, where you hear more english than spanish. I've been to Algalve in Portugal's south and that's what it was. People looking for a "resort" type vacation love it, I hate it as I want to visit Spain not the Brit's Varadero. Maybe I'm wrong in my assessment, but that's the impression I get.

Costa Brava, north of Barcelona, seems less developped and much more frequented by locals. Beaches seem just as nice. The downside seems to be the weather, but that shouldn't be an issue in July (more an offseason concern).
Artie
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 142 times
Received rep: 213 times

Post #57 by Artie » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:46 am

I've always wanted to go to Torremolinos. Fids can you be a dear and check it out for me
:mkbét::lr: :lr:

OOOH yeah life goes on, long after the thrill of Vinny is gone

It's too bad all the people that could really run the Habs are busy doing talk radio, writing blogs or posting on message boards.

Now, Lajoie is an imbecile, a cretin and a plagiarist, who to use author Dany Laferrière's deliciously withering expression, "lives beyond his intellectual means."

...as serious as a poutine shortage in Chicoutimi during a curling bonspiel...

Haddock wrote:I wouldn't know anything about that. I gave my soul up when I swore allegiance to the goddamn queen.

:lr: :lr: :lr:
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #58 by Dog » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:07 am

Artie wrote:I've always wanted to go to Torremolinos. Fids can you be a dear and check it out for me

My mother in law stayed there a couple of years ago. She did the exact trip Nick described, actually (costa del sol, gilbraltar and tangiers). My mother in law also likes to go to Hollywood beach in la florida in the winter, though.
Artie
Registered Broad

Post #59 by Artie » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:37 am

if I wanted your mother-in-laws opinion i would have asked her. I want your review.
Be a dear and don't RRS this to death by being obtuse

It's too bad all the people that could really run the Habs are busy doing talk radio, writing blogs or posting on message boards.

Now, Lajoie is an imbecile, a cretin and a plagiarist, who to use author Dany Laferrière's deliciously withering expression, "lives beyond his intellectual means."

Haddock wrote:I wouldn't know anything about that. I gave my soul up when I swore allegiance to the goddamn queen.

Dog
Registered Broad

Post #60 by Dog » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:44 am

My mother in law travels without my father in law because he is scared of planes. Funny stuff.
Artie
Registered Broad

Post #61 by Artie » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:16 am

Dog wrote:My mother in law travels without my father in law because he is scared of planes. Funny stuff.

yeah I'm sure that's why he vacations alone...

Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #62 by Slick Nick » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:40 am

Dog wrote:My mother in law stayed there a couple of years ago. She did the exact trip Nick described, actually (costa del sol, gilbraltar and tangiers). My mother in law also likes to go to Hollywood beach in la florida in the winter, though.

I think what you fear applies more to Marbella, Estepona, Torremolinos and the likes, than to Malaga. I really hate resorts, and to be honnest I feared it would be some kind of beach town.. but it came as a really nice surprise. The new part of the city has some seaside hotels, but you don't need to go there. We have rented an appartement for around 100$ a night, it was 10 seconds of walk from the central place in the old town. It didn't feel overloaded with tourists, but we we were there in early june. On the same trip we went to Lagos in Algarve .. although we liked the place, that one was crowded with brit chavs.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #63 by Dog » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:58 am

How did you find the Alcazar in Sevilla compared to the Alhambra in Granada, Nick? I know the Alhambra is on a whole other scale, but the individual rooms seem quite similar. I've heard alot of good about Sevilla, surprised you didn't like it. Beyond the catherdral (one of the best in europe) and alcazar, heard that the city itself is quite nice and gives out a cool vibe. Did you stay long?
zamboner
Registered Broad
Received rep: 4 times

Post #64 by zamboner » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:59 am

Dog wrote:We've settled on Spain for this summer's family vacation (with wife and 5 year old daughter). About 12-14 days.

The rough itinerary i'm think is this -would appreciate thoughts/comments:

- madrid for about 4-5 days (with day trips to Toledo and Segovia);
- train down to Cordoba (1 night)
- train down to sevilla (1-2 nights)
- train to granada (1 night)
- flight to Barcelona for about 4-5 days (with day trip to monserrat and Dali museum). I've been to Barcelona, wife hasn't.

Thoughts? Better to rent a car than take the train (train seems convenient)?

I drove all across Spain 2 years ago. It is awesome and the roads are empty. Do it.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #65 by Dog » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:02 am

vonbonds wrote:My Scottish relatives all go to Spain the way we go to Florida or the Caribbean.

I've travelled with Brits to a resort in Tunisia when I was in the UK. Ugh. I left on the second day and toured the country by myself -only came back for the flight back. Honnestly, have never seen more boorish people than the British masses.

Artie wrote:yeah I'm sure that's why he vacations alone...

He doesn't vacation. He works. Lately, they've been returning to la Florida in the winter. He drives down, can't fly.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #66 by Dog » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:06 am

zamboner wrote:I drove all across Spain 2 years ago. It is awesome and the roads are empty. Do it.

Madrid-sevilla by high speed train is like 2:30 hours. Would be much longer to drive. Plus parking has got to be a headache in the inner cities.

I'm thinking this now:

-madrid for 4 days (with 2 day trips to Toledo and Segovia);
-sevilla for 3 days (with day trip to Cordoba);
-Barcelona for 4 days (with day trip to monserrat)
-rent car in Barcelona and spend 2-3 days driving to Fegueres, Costa Brava villages for beach and maybe even have a drive up to the Pyrenees (I took a train from France to Barcelona a little over a decade ago and loved passing through the Pyrenees).
zamboner
Registered Broad
Received rep: 4 times

Post #67 by zamboner » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:08 am

Dog wrote:How did you find the Alcazar in Sevilla compared to the Alhambra in Granada, Nick? I know the Alhambra is on a whole other scale, but the individual rooms seem quite similar. I've heard alot of good about Sevilla, surprised you didn't like it. Beyond the catherdral (one of the best in europe) and alcazar, heard that the city itself is quite nice and gives out a cool vibe. Did you stay long?

Dog, you have to go the Alhambra (I have visited both). It is a must-see. The Arab Quarters in Granada is another must-see. Fuck Cordoba and Malaga. And dont listen to Nick about Seville. Yah, it's touristy, but it is grand and magnificient. And don't worry about tourists, since nobody would go to Seville in summer lol

If you are down south, stay in a Pueblo Blanco like Vejer de La Frontera.

Toledo is great. There are awesome Paradors you can stay at in all these towns. Yes, they are state-run and full of old people, but you get to live in a fucking palace or castle, which should blow your kids' minds.

Costa Del Sol isn't even a real name...it is a name given to the area by tourists. Yes, it is full of Brits and Germans, but Valencia is worth seeing, especially for the Calatrava.

Madrid is a fave of mine, and I prefer it over Barcelona. That said, there is way more to show the kids in Barcelona.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #68 by Dog » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:16 am

The problem with Granada is that it is out of the way of a madrid-sevilla-barcelona itinerary. It's seems to be a good 3-4 hour train ride from sevilla (no high speed trains?) and doesn't connect as well with Barcelona (Sevilla-Barcelona high speed train takes like 5 hours, I probably prefer that to a flight-as train is downtown to downtown with no luggage check-in).

I've had a cousin that studied in Sevilla tell me she recommends Cordoba (for the mezquita) over Granada. She crazy?
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #69 by Dog » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:20 am

Also, is sevilla really that much warmer in the summer than other spots in southern spain?
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #70 by Slick Nick » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:22 am

Dog wrote:How did you find the Alcazar in Sevilla compared to the Alhambra in Granada, Nick? I know the Alhambra is on a whole other scale, but the individual rooms seem quite similar. I've heard alot of good about Sevilla, surprised you didn't like it. Beyond the catherdral (one of the best in europe) and alcazar, heard that the city itself is quite nice and gives out a cool vibe. Did you stay long?

I liked both a lot. The gardens and the Sierra Nevada background make the Alhambra more special for sure. But it tooks us more than an hour to get in the Alhambra and we were stuck between a group of elder french tourists and a group of asian tourists. It's very crowded compare to the Alcazar. The Alcazar was more colorful than the Alhambra, more ceramic tiles and less engraved rock. I mean you can't go to Granada without going to the Lahmabra and you better go to the Alcazar if you go to Sevilla.

As for Sevilla... it's a focken oven. The 3 days we spent there it was around 45-47C. There's a lot of big unpersonnal monuments (Spain Place) which are objectively nice but somehow lack genuinity or cachet. Plus I got into a little fight with the gf because she wanted to go shopping and I didn't feel like spending 5 hours watching her buy clothes so I told her to fuck off and visited the Alcazar on my own. But no, I mean I would go again and probably enjoy it more than last time.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #71 by Slick Nick » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:25 am

Dog wrote:Also, is sevilla really that much warmer in the summer than other spots in southern spain?

Yes. Most of the other places are close to the sea so you get a nice breeze.

http://en.tutiempo.net/climate/07-2011/ws-83910.html

:mumucide:
PredsFan77
Has given rep: 106 times
Received rep: 227 times

Post #72 by PredsFan77 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:09 pm

I liked madrid.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #73 by Slick Nick » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:58 pm

zamboner wrote:Dog, you have to go the Alhambra (I have visited both). It is a must-see. The Arab Quarters in Granada is another must-see. Fuck Cordoba and Malaga. And dont listen to Nick about Seville. Yah, it's touristy, but it is grand and magnificient. And don't worry about tourists, since nobody would go to Seville in summer lol

If you are down south, stay in a Pueblo Blanco like Vejer de La Frontera.

Toledo is great. There are awesome Paradors you can stay at in all these towns. Yes, they are state-run and full of old people, but you get to live in a fucking palace or castle, which should blow your kids' minds.

Costa Del Sol isn't even a real name...it is a name given to the area by tourists. Yes, it is full of Brits and Germans, but Valencia is worth seeing, especially for the Calatrava.

Madrid is a fave of mine, and I prefer it over Barcelona. That said, there is way more to show the kids in Barcelona.

Zambo is right, don't listen to Slique about Sevilla. But don't listen to Zambo and waste a day in peublo blanco either, it's just a pile of cubes painted in white with a few flower pots.

There are many paths you could take if you wish to go all out and see all what you listed. If you can get multidestination tickets;

YUL-Madrid

3-4 days in Madrid

high speed train to Barcelona (expensive but only 2h30 and departures every 30 mins)
Night train (leaves at 22h00 arives at 7h30)

3-4 days in Barcelona

flight to Sevilla (pretty cheap, but check luggage surplusses)

2-3 days in Sevilla

Rent a car for freedom or train

1 day in Cordoba (45 mins train from Sevilla)

Settle in Malga for the remainder (1h25 on the train from Cordoba)

Day trip or a night in Granada.

Malaga-YUL (direct flight every tuesday)

That way you spend 3-4 days in the cities, then get 3-4 days near the sea to relax a little, 4-5 days in the cities, and finish it off near the sea. It's a good compromise and you get see pretty much everything you wanted.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #74 by Dog » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:06 am

Thanks Nick. That's very similar to the itinerary I last posted, difference being I'm think of going madrid-seville-barcelona. It will depend on whether we decide to spend beach time in the south or near Barcelona.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #75 by Slick Nick » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:36 pm

Yeah it is, I just thought it was the most efficient way to minimize commuting time. Any way you chose it will be a great trip.
cawbber
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 130 times
Received rep: 81 times

Post #76 by cawbber » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:39 am

Dog wrote:Madrid-sevilla by high speed train is like 2:30 hours. Would be much longer to drive. Plus parking has got to be a headache in the inner cities.

I'm thinking this now:

-madrid for 4 days (with 2 day trips to Toledo and Segovia);
-sevilla for 3 days (with day trip to Cordoba);
-Barcelona for 4 days (with day trip to monserrat)
-rent car in Barcelona and spend 2-3 days driving to Fegueres, Costa Brava villages for beach and maybe even have a drive up to the Pyrenees (I took a train from France to Barcelona a little over a decade ago and loved passing through the Pyrenees).

Dog, if you are in the South of Spain a short tour of Gibraltar (you can get a taxi driver to give you a tour in a couple of hours) is interesting as well. It has a very rich history as a coveted strategic military stronghold and the tour of the mountain caverns is pretty cool. Then there are all the wild monkeys. All in all a very unique place to visit if you have a couple of hours to spare.
Artie
Registered Broad

Post #77 by Artie » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:46 am

So all this talk of Spain has me yearning to maybe go there. I've always wanted to go to Torremolinos.

Is October a good time to go?

PredsFan77

Post #78 by PredsFan77 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:37 am

College football season
Artie
Registered Broad

Post #79 by Artie » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:50 am

is that a big thing in Spain

Dog
Registered Broad

Post #80 by Dog » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:19 am

Artie wrote:So all this talk of Spain has me yearning to maybe go there. I've always wanted to go to Torremolinos.

Is October a good time to go?

I'll ask my mother-in-law, albeit October is usually the time she starts getting ready to head to la Florida...
PredsFan77

Post #81 by PredsFan77 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:18 pm

Artie wrote:is that a big thing in Spain

Roll tide roll
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #82 by Dog » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:18 pm

So the trip is in a few weeks. The final itenerary is:

Madrid - 4 nights (with Toledo day trip);
Sevilla - 3 nights (with day trip to Cordoba);
Barcelona - 4 nights (with day trip to Monserratt);
Costa Brava -2 nights (rented car to head up to a nice Parador alone on a hill with beach near Begur).
PredsFan77

Post #83 by PredsFan77 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:13 pm

That sounds nice
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Re:

Post #84 by Slick Nick » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:10 am

Dog wrote:So the trip is in a few weeks. The final itenerary is:

Madrid - 4 nights (with Toledo day trip);
Sevilla - 3 nights (with day trip to Cordoba);
Barcelona - 4 nights (with day trip to Monserratt);
Costa Brava -2 nights (rented car to head up to a nice Parador alone on a hill with beach near Begur).

:masturbation:
Dog
Registered Broad

Re: Spain - Specifically Madrid and Parts South

Post #85 by Dog » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:41 pm

Leaving on Sunday into a big heatwave. Temperatures into the 40sC.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33316985

AD
Has given rep: 322 times
Received rep: 394 times

Post #86 by AD » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:49 am

Godspeed Dog. Make sure the girl is safe.
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 145 times
Received rep: 272 times

Post #87 by MP » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:54 am

Dog wrote:Leaving on Sunday into a big heatwave. Temperatures into the 40sC.

Shouldn't be too bad if you're on the coast...looks at itinerary, 4 days in Madrid....ouch.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #88 by Dog » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:18 am

MP wrote:

Shouldn't be too bad if you're on the coast...looks at itinerary, 4 days in Madrid....ouch.

Checking forecasts, Madrid will be 36C-38C while we are there, Sevilla 39C-41C and Barcelona around 33C.

Will have to change it up and sightsee in the mornings (temps around 28-30C) and eat tapas, visit museums, other indoor stuff in the afternoon/evenings. It limits what we can visit, but those are dangerous temperatures with a 5 year old. I hope the hotel AC works well (none of that pretend to work but is limited euro crap).
MP
Registered Broad

Post #89 by MP » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:52 pm

Dog wrote:
MP wrote:

Checking forecasts, Madrid will be 36C-38C while we are there, Sevilla 39C-41C and Barcelona around 33C.

Will have to change it up and sightsee in the mornings (temps around 28-30C) and eat tapas, visit museums, other indoor stuff in the afternoon/evenings. It limits what we can visit, but those are dangerous temperatures with a 5 year old. I hope the hotel AC works well (none of that pretent to work but is limited euro crap).

Just take mid day family naps, then late afternoon tapas, and late night dinners.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #90 by Slick Nick » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:28 am

Dog wrote:
MP wrote:

Will have to change it up and sightsee in the mornings (temps around 28-30C) and eat tapas, visit museums, other indoor stuff in the afternoon/evenings. It limits what we can visit, but those are dangerous temperatures with a 5 year old. I hope the hotel AC works well (none of that pretent to work but is limited euro crap).

:analfisting:
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #91 by Dog » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:04 pm

DAMN YOU SICK NICK!!!
Artie
Registered Broad

Post #92 by Artie » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:41 pm

is there any other kind of fisting #askingforafriend

Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #93 by Slick Nick » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:49 pm

Artie wrote:is there any other kind of fisting #askingforafriend

It's probably a good thing I forgot the password to The Baltic States a while ago.
MP
Registered Broad

Post #94 by MP » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:07 am

Bump, Mrs. Plan has decided we are going to Spain/Portugal for our 10 year anniversary. Lots of good stuff on Spain in here, what about Porto?
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #95 by Dog » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:09 am

I havent been to mainland Portugal since 98, so memory is fuzzy. I really enjoyed Lisbon. Smallish city, very charming old town, cute eateries, very affordable. Decent beaches in the Estoril area. I'd avoid the south/Algarve unless you are a 60 year old golfer and/or enjoy spending your holidays with crowds of boorish British and German tourists. I havent been to the north, but would definately do that instead. Heard alot of good about the Porto/Douro area. Joe is from there, he can probably give you specifics.

Spain we did 2 years ago -lemme know if you have specific questions. Our itinerary was Madrid (loved it) - Sevilla (loved it) - Barcelona (meh, enjoyed it more as a student on my first visit -way too over touristy) -some Paradore alone on a hill on costa Brava (amazing) and drive through Pyrenees (stops for lunch/dinner in small Catalonian mountain towns were some of my favourite memories from the trip). I can dig up and give you restaurant recommendations for Madrid/Sevilla (had a friend that had lived in those two cities and she gave us good recommendations). Bullet trains were great for inter-city travel. I avoided the south for the same boorish Brit/German tourist reasons as Algarve. I recommend you looking up Paradores at least for a night or two -state run hotels in historically or naturally significant sites (like castles and stuff). A bit on the pricey side, but good fun.
PredsFan77

Post #96 by PredsFan77 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:43 am

Oh hey I was in Madrid last month. Nice weekend trip.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #97 by Dog » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:48 am

PredsFan77 wrote:Oh hey I was in Madrid last month. Nice weekend trip.

Nice spot to go grab some tapas and maybe some flamingo dancing on a Saturday night when you have no other plans.

Return to “Shaken, not Stirred”