Registered Broad
Received rep: 2 times

Post #1 by Vancouver Blazers » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:44 pm

Might be worth considering if we were starting from scratch
" wrote:You are a madman.
Trotsky
Registered Broad

Post #2 by Trotsky » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:14 pm

I like the idea, but it seems like people tend not to go for change around here.

By the way if anyone has a h2h or salary cap keeper pool that could use another owner, let me know.
sLapshot
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #3 by sLapshot » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:20 am

I'd definitely be interested in a salary cap draft, but I don't know how we'd transition into it.
miles2025 wrote:I was... throwing... Semin... at Bekar... Waaaaahhhh
captainkirk
Registered Broad

Post #4 by captainkirk » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:40 pm

Salary cap draft? Why do we keep changing the rules massively every goddamn year?

I, for one, am against change for the sake of making change. I also question the concept of beeker having friends.

(Beeks, I'm just kidding)
sLapshot
Registered Broad

Post #5 by sLapshot » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:32 pm

lol
miles2025 wrote:I was... throwing... Semin... at Bekar... Waaaaahhhh
Vancouver Blazers
Registered Broad

Post #6 by Vancouver Blazers » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:34 pm

Are we changing any rules for next season? Or is it just Luco_D coming in as a replacement owner?
Vancouver Blazers
Registered Broad

Post #7 by Vancouver Blazers » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:28 am

How would you change it and to what effect?

I had an idea earlier today. What if we just reset the rosters every five or seven or ten years? Would that be worth considering doing?
Vancouver Blazers
Registered Broad

Post #8 by Vancouver Blazers » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Hey guys lets bring back the farm team!
Trotsky
Registered Broad

Post #9 by Trotsky » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:51 pm

kmad wrote:Hey guys lets bring back the farm team!

god I drafted a bunch of losers.

Hodgson, Larsson, Hamonic.. I can't even remember.. absolutely no fantasy value
Trotsky
Registered Broad

Post #10 by Trotsky » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:54 pm

beekar81 wrote:Should be a limit on how many goalies people can have on their roster. I counted 42 goalies that are on rosters. Some with 4 and 1 team had 1. If anyone gets an injured goalie, it's basically impossible to find another one. If everyone has 2 goalies that would be 32 goalies. It's just hard to find an injury replacement. I am all for keeping the 2 goalie system, cuz I understand Kmad traded away good offense for Quick and it wouldn't be fair.

If you are going to have 2 goalie slots then you should have to use 2 goalie slots. Not just 1 and then hopefully keep your GAA and Save % up, but your wins and S/O down.

We have talked about not being able to tank in the past and if people use this strategy they can use it for tanking. Especially this coming year in the McDavid draft, cuz I'm sure lots of us would love to have him on our team.

As far as resetting rosters go, that is what the salary cap would do. Eventually players would just cost too much and you would have to drop them. Unless you want to pay big money for 1 or 2 players then have the roster of your roster crap.

I don't mind tinkering with rules every year. I don't think we will ever find the perfect keeper league. Just as long as it's not drastic.

That seems fine, and will make pretty much no ripples. I can't imagine anyone shooting themselves in the foot by keeping only 5 forwards/defensemen.
Vancouver Blazers
Registered Broad

Post #11 by Vancouver Blazers » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:11 pm

beekar81 wrote:Should be a limit on how many goalies people can have on their roster. I counted 42 goalies that are on rosters. Some with 4 and 1 team had 1. If anyone gets an injured goalie, it's basically impossible to find another one. If everyone has 2 goalies that would be 32 goalies. It's just hard to find an injury replacement. I am all for keeping the 2 goalie system, cuz I understand Kmad traded away good offense for Quick and it wouldn't be fair.

So what you'd say we do is limit a roster to 2 goalies, not counting IR?

I have nothing against that, but I'm thinking about cases where a team might have two starters that split time. Would this be fair to someone who has either Halak or Holtby?
Vancouver Blazers
Registered Broad

Post #12 by Vancouver Blazers » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:24 pm

who's the 16th team?
captainkirk
Registered Broad

Post #13 by captainkirk » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:42 pm

kmad wrote:How would you change it and to what effect?

I had an idea earlier today. What if we just reset the rosters every five or seven or ten years? Would that be worth considering doing?

I feel like people would be against that.

Now limiting things to something like 4 keepers for one year could spice things up.
Vancouver Blazers
Registered Broad

Post #14 by Vancouver Blazers » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:59 am

beekar81 wrote:I post this and then Calvert scores twice tonight and Savard assists on 2

Do more things
Hobbes
Registered Broad
Received rep: 32 times

Post #15 by Hobbes » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:45 pm

I agree with miles.

I Wasn't happy with losing prospect pool after spending so much time on mine. As a new owner with awful players (missed the draft because I wasn't in this yet) mostly I knew I would only get good through prospects. So I spent much of my efforts there. And then we gave up on the 5 prospects... And I wasn't too gung-ho but everyone else seemed to wanna ditch them so I didn't say much.

And then the two goalie thing changed right after I gave up Crawford because I thought we'd only get to keep one.

This pool is so much fun and I'm glad I joined you guys but it's getting frustrating. Let's keep things constant for a few seasons at least.

Or make some overhaul changes right now if everyone wants and THEN keep it constant for a few seasons.
captainkirk
Registered Broad

Post #16 by captainkirk » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:49 pm

So it's settled then.

We're changing all the rules.
Vancouver Blazers
Registered Broad

Post #17 by Vancouver Blazers » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:24 pm

Let's add a category for spearing majors. And eliminate goalies.
PredsFan77
Has given rep: 123 times
Received rep: 342 times

Post #18 by PredsFan77 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:40 pm

AND AUTOMATIC VICTORY FOR A MATCH PENALTY
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Tigger
Registered Broad
Received rep: 18 times

Post #19 by Tigger » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:03 pm

Yes, please no major changes.

Coming in as an expansion team starting from scratch, everything has been a moving target since I have been here. It's frustrating enough as it is.

Though I am looking forward to next season as I think my team will compete.
Tripwyre
Registered Broad

Post #20 by Tripwyre » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:48 pm

Two goalie system is the only way to stop that year's Vezina winner from determining the entire outcome of the league, and I say this is as someone who has benefited hugely from the single goalie system in the past.

Also, fuck auction drafts. We did one in my basketball pool this year and I hated it. A big No vote from me on that one.
Vancouver Blazers
Registered Broad

Post #21 by Vancouver Blazers » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:33 pm

"One goalie" strategy doesn't work. One goalie will obviously have you finish near last in wins and shutouts, so even if you're first in gaa and sv%, you'll be average for goalie categories, and you'd need to be above average in all categories in order to win the pool or even place top three.
captainkirk
Registered Broad

Post #22 by captainkirk » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:50 pm

miles2025 wrote:Actually, one goalie could work, as long as be has a really good season. This past season, 6 shutouts got you 7 shutout points, and if you have one of the top goalies in the league then 6 shutouts is certainly attainable. So you'd finish near the top in GAA & sv%, average in SO, but near last in wins. So overall you'd have above average goaltending stats, and:

...which is applicable no matter how many goalies you play or how good their stats are.

Still risky, but if you have a superstar goalie then it might be worth the risk because you can then focus on offense during the draft.

Based on complete conjecture lacking even the least bit of evidence, I'm going to say leagues are won and lost not on drafts, but on waiver-wire pick ups.
Vancouver Blazers
Registered Broad

Post #23 by Vancouver Blazers » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:53 pm

miles2025 wrote:Still risky, but if you have a superstar goalie then it might be worth the risk because you can then focus on offense during the draft.

Even the superstar goalies have off years. Tuukka Rask is pretty easily the best fantasy goalie in the world right now, would he have provided above average goalie stats by himself this year?
CraigBillington
Registered Broad

Post #24 by CraigBillington » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:42 am

miles2025 wrote:Actually, one goalie could work, as long as be has a really good season. This past season, 6 shutouts got you 7 shutout points, and if you have one of the top goalies in the league then 6 shutouts is certainly attainable. So you'd finish near the top in GAA & sv%, average in SO, but near last in wins. So overall you'd have above average goaltending stats, and:

...which is applicable no matter how many goalies you play or how good their stats are.

Still risky, but if you have a superstar goalie then it might be worth the risk because you can then focus on offense during the draft.

Which makes my offense in the Superleague feel like crap. I had Rask and Mason this year, gave me 13/14, 14/14, 12/14, 12/14 points for goaltending... and still finished 6th. Stupid Stamkos
captainkirk
Registered Broad

Post #25 by captainkirk » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:48 pm

miles2025 wrote:If I had only dressed Jaroslav Halak last season, I would have finished with 13 more points.

That's it, I'm doing it next year. I don't even care if he's backup!

If I had played Craig Anderson all season last year, I would have had 22 more points and I would have won the pool.

This year, Anderson was fucking awful.

If we want to make the goaltender position less of a factor, I say remove the limits on how many goalies you can start, but allow NO goalies to be benched, ever.

Return to “White Noise Keeper League”