tags; computer talk, help me again, I owe you one, please, star trek gives znk w00d.

We're probably smart enough for a science and technology forum
Bow Tie
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 10 times

Post #1 by Bow Tie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:56 pm

Downloaded the newest episode of The Americans, and every time I right click to try to go to the "Open with..." menu everything stops responding. Icons on the monitor even go away for a couple minutes. Thought maybe it was the file, so I tried downloading another. Same thing is happening. I use Vuze to download torrents and VLC to watch. Suggestions?

Edit: happening when I right click anything, not just video files. I'm concerned; this is on a laptop I got at Christmas.

edit edit: I recently updated and rebooted just to see how it'd work, and I didn't have the right click issue. I did, however, have issues loading other stuff. The machine hasn't run terribly smooth, so if anyone has advice I'd be interested in hearing it.
Roger Sterling
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #2 by Roger Sterling » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:32 pm

WTF did they do to Chrome? Why are the bookmarks bigger now? I had it set up perfectly for the bookmarks I needed in a folder without scrolling up or down to go to the links and now...I have to scroll up. Fuckers can't leave shit that was just fine, alone.
[CENTER][font="Georgia"]“When God closes a door, he opens a dress.”[/font]
ImageImage
[/CENTER]
RTWAP
Has given rep: 25 times
Received rep: 27 times

Post #3 by RTWAP » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:21 am

Flash sucks so much. I can't wait until all the web uses HTML5 instead.
RIP Old Broads v2. Long live New Broads v3.
Roger Sterling
Registered Broad

Post #4 by Roger Sterling » Wed May 22, 2013 5:17 pm

I need an opinion on this laptop - Asus

I want something I can play games on every now and then, do some rendering if I need to, as well as something that will last me a few years without worrying about it slowing down on me and what not. It has a 256GB SSD (still trying to figure that out, seeing someone mention having programs on it and how fast they load up etc, has me curious about this specific model over the one that is 1TB with HDD and no SDD, price difference is a few hundred bucks, nothing much. Is the 250GB SSD version worth a few hundred?)

ImageImage

[/CENTER]
HS
Registered Broad

Post #5 by HS » Wed May 22, 2013 7:09 pm

Roger Sterling wrote:I need an opinion on this laptop - Asus

I want something I can play games on every now and then, do some rendering if I need to, as well as something that will last me a few years without worrying about it slowing down on me and what not. It has a 256GB SSD (still trying to figure that out, seeing someone mention having programs on it and how fast they load up etc, has me curious about this specific model over the one that is 1TB with HDD and no SDD, price difference is a few hundred bucks, nothing much. Is the 250GB SSD version worth a few hundred?)

The SSD is currently worth around $175-250 in Best Buy -- depending on the brand. I don't think ASUS makes their own disk drives, but I'm not 100% on that. You should double check before purchasing it. If it's not OCZ (which is probably the market's best and most reliable SSDs available), then it's probably a Kingston and not worth the trouble.

As for the rest of the specifications, the i7-3630QM is actually kind of mediocre as far as i7 Sandy Bridge processors go. It's probably worth about 150-200 bucks.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

The graphic card is actually mid-range for that hardware and series. I use the GTX 550 ti and I have been looking for a different card aside from the GTX Titan (which goes for 1,000 and up). The 600 series are supposed to be mid-range and the 670 is no exception.

However, I think it's the second or third highest video memory on the market. Still, not worth buying.

Graphic Card Benchmark: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

To top it off, you're basically paying premium for the rest. The HDD is 500 GB magnetic drive, so it's basically a storage partition. You get 16 GB of RAM which is excellent for a laptop, but I doubt you will be using that many applications and I'm fairly certain that 2.40 GHz of processor computations isn't really impressive. Like I said, mediocre.

That said, you do get 4 USB 3.0 ports -- faster SSD to USB transfer speed. Nothing special.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where the extra 500-750 bucks are coming from. The casing can't be worth the extra 500 bucks (although ASUS uses quality material to case their hardware -- which is really awesome). Maybe others can answer that.

Here are my specifications:

Total: $750 to build, including two monitors and reusing the graphic card, DVD drive, and HDD. I will be upgrading the Graphic Card and
Roger Sterling
Registered Broad

Post #6 by Roger Sterling » Wed May 22, 2013 11:04 pm

I rarely use my desktop, I am more of a laptop person. I guess I can wait until something better comes out.

ImageImage

[/CENTER]
HS
Registered Broad

Post #7 by HS » Sun May 26, 2013 4:06 pm

Roger Sterling wrote:I rarely use my desktop, I am more of a laptop person. I guess I can wait until something better comes out.

Point is, you're already overpaying for something that should be done from the comfort of a desk. Gaming on a laptop is irritating and pointless. Especially since you claimed in the past that you were a FPS type of player. A laptop sized screen of 17.3" is too small for FPS and hardly anything special for RPGs or ARPGs. You will be able to compute multiple applications at your laptop's processor speed with 2.4 billion computations per second with 16 GB of RAM, but the odds of actually pushing the limit of your laptop's processing speed is next to impossible unless you were purposely pushing it for no good reason at all.

Secondly, the ASUS brand is a reputable one, but it's still a fucking laptop. It's not easy to modify or upgrade, it overheats easily, you get a listed four hours of battery uptime (when it's a very generous listing), you have to replace the battery over time, you constantly need to have it plugged in, any defects on the screen forces you to buy a new one, etc.

Cons against gaming laptops overwhelms the convenience of portability.

So 17.3" screen of inconvenience vs. http://i.imgur.com/GQLoPyd.jpg
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 256 times
Received rep: 168 times

Post #8 by vf » Sun May 26, 2013 7:45 pm

Roger Sterling wrote:I need an opinion on this laptop - Asus

What type of games and what type of rendering? I stick to buying one year old laptops; by far the best bang for your buck.
Hope is the worst of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man.

[SIZE="1"]Recruiting for EHM 05 Online[/size]
edgar_dong
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 346 times
Received rep: 411 times

Post #9 by edgar_dong » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:39 pm

What's the deal with these Asus fellas, are they a good clean company?
Jedrik
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 3 times
Received rep: 2 times

Post #10 by Jedrik » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:20 pm

Any of you have a suggestion for a reliable spot to download Word?
HS
Registered Broad

Post #11 by HS » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Jedrik wrote:Any of you have a suggestion for a reliable spot to download Word?

I have a copy, but I don't remember the link I grabbed it from. Lemme see if I can upload it somewhere inconspicuous.
HS
Registered Broad

Post #12 by HS » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Can't seem to figure out where to put it. I have Google Drive, but it's up to you on where you want to share your email.
TO

Post #13 by TO » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:42 pm

SceneAccess (Torrent) or Warez-bb (Fileshare)
rbochan
Registered Broad

Post #14 by rbochan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:43 am

http://www.libreoffice.org/
...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
it's Don't Tread On Me.
Useful Idiot

Post #15 by Useful Idiot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:48 pm

For those of you who are interested in Web hosting, Namecheap has provided a 50% off coupon for the time being (“NODADDY”). That is because Godaddy just bought a rather popular Web host, MediaTemple. Namecheap and Godaddy are direct competitors.
HS
Registered Broad

Post #16 by HS » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:19 pm

Windows 8.1 is amazing. Colours are so vibrant.
Useful Idiot

Post #17 by Useful Idiot » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:34 pm

In yet another move designed to Get You Hired, Linkedin has decided create an interesting iOS app. What is the catch? It is going to intercept all emails sent from the device, “personalise” them, and then send them back with a pretty bowtie on top.

Here is a nice overview:

http://www.bishopfox.com/linkedin-intro/
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 23 times
Received rep: 175 times

Post #18 by Craig » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:57 pm

A Despondent Soul wrote:In yet another move designed to Get You Hired, Linkedin has decided create an interesting iOS app. What is the catch? It is going to intercept all emails sent from the device, “personalise” them, and then send them back with a pretty bowtie on top.

Here is a nice overview:

http://www.bishopfox.com/linkedin-intro/

That's Blackberry's entire business model.
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 20 times
Received rep: 50 times

Post #19 by Rogers Pancreas » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:03 pm

HS wrote:Windows 8.1 is amazing. Colours are so vibrant.
:barf:
His Satanic Majestic Request
Useful Idiot

Post #20 by Useful Idiot » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Craig wrote:That's Blackberry's entire business model.

Has RIM been caught with salt-less, weak password hashes? LinkedIn has a history of incompetence in the security arena.
edgar_dong
Registered Broad

Post #21 by edgar_dong » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:23 pm

Fellas, I need some assistance.

Several days ago, I was briefly connected to a server that filters out imgur for some reason. Since then I have been connected to several filterless servers, but connectivity to imgur is sketchy at best. No imgur hosted photos appear on the much loved HockeyBroads.com for me.

Aside from buying a new laptop (which I might do anyway as this one is about two months old), learn me of a solution.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #22 by Craig » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:18 pm

Clear your cache.
edgar_dong
Registered Broad

Post #23 by edgar_dong » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:53 pm

I did. Still nothing.

Tell me a command to run goddammit.
edgar_dong
Registered Broad

Post #24 by edgar_dong » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:32 pm

Time has healed the illness. Many thanks to those who offered assistance via personal message and icq.
Zardoz
Registered Broad
Received rep: 148 times

Post #25 by Zardoz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:10 am

I still here that little "uh-oh" sound in my head from time to time.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[SIZE="1"]Bring us your idiots, your hussies, your blue and your dreamy. Your steady, your huddled, your fisted and creamy. Your villains, your filthy, your cunts and your meese. Your carpenters and fishers and pastors and beasts. Your rednecks, your Safas, your trolls and your Brits. And like all good sailors, we like us some tits.[/size]
edgar_dong
Registered Broad

Post #26 by edgar_dong » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:01 pm

It's happening again. :why:
Rogers Pancreas

Post #27 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:42 am

An odd one that might be unique entirely unto Windows 8.

A portable hard drive can be found under the "Drives" directory, using the Control Panel. You can even troubleshoot the drive to see that it's functioning "properly" according to Windows. However, the drive itself will not allow you to explore the contents, almost as if it is unrecognized by Windows. But, why would it audibly indicate that a drive has been connected/disconnected, and why would you be able to pick it up using the Control Panel applications?
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #28 by Craig » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:45 am

Do you know what's on the drive? It sounds like it might not be formatted.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #29 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:38 am

It was a Seadrive 1.0/1.5 TB (can't remember which) portable USB drive, and it has tons of music, videos, etc.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #30 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:14 pm

onefatsurfer wrote:Did you go into administrative tools and look at whether the drive has its partitions recognized in Windows?
I have not. I went through the Device Manager, unistalled it, and then let the drive reinstall all the essential software by reconnecting it. And then verified that the driver was up to date, and functional.

It's weird because up until last week it was working fine. And then in the middle of watching a show, it just stopped.
edgar_dong
Registered Broad

Re: tags; computer talk, help me again, I owe you one, please, star trek gives znk w00d.

Post #31 by edgar_dong » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:14 pm

Has anyone ever tried to cancel a subscription with fucking Adobe?
IcE ColD
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 29 times
Received rep: 63 times

Re: tags; computer talk, help me again, I owe you one, please, star trek gives znk w00d.

Post #32 by IcE ColD » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:47 pm

Never. Is it as hard as trying to cancel a Columbia House subscription back in the 90s?
Society is actually a bunch of flawed primates guided by selfishness, fear, and superstitious bullshit.

David Wong - 19/12/2016
edgar_dong
Registered Broad

Post #33 by edgar_dong » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:15 pm

IcE ColD wrote:Never. Is it as hard as trying to cancel a Columbia House subscription back in the 90s?

On its website they let you believe you can complete a few simple clicks of the mouse, but then you find out you're enduring an endless loop and suddenly have 30 tabs open.

It took less than five minutes when I finally gave in and called them (what a novel concept), however if I am to believe many comments on their forums I* am still going to end up being billed for several months.

*not like it's really my money :wink:
edgar_dong
Registered Broad

Post #34 by edgar_dong » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:34 pm

You'd think the world's largest company would have a simple "Undo Sync" feature for bookmarks. :why:
edgar_dong
Registered Broad

Post #35 by edgar_dong » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:56 pm

I'm using Shadow Explorer to try and restore Chrome's user data to older versions. After it's complete I open Chrome and keep getting various dialogs that indicate "your preferences can't be read", etc. What do you stupid bags of dog shit reckon the issue is?
PredsFan77
Has given rep: 106 times
Received rep: 227 times

Post #36 by PredsFan77 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:45 pm

Hey my windows 7 install computer is corrupt/old as shit. Is it a good idea to dual install Ubuntu on it so if Windows keeps fucking up I can switch to it? Trying to squeeze a few more months/year out of it before buying a new one.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 901 times
Received rep: 461 times

Post #37 by vonbonds » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:04 pm

That's a classic use case for Linux for personal use. I run Debian (what Ubuntu is based on) on 3 computers at home but I prefer *NIX over Windows so I'm not your average broad. I say go for it as your computer isn't running well.
rbochan
Registered Broad

Post #38 by rbochan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:03 am

Sure, you can always try the LiveCD before you install to see if you like it.
...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;

it's Don't Tread On Me.
TGR
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 14 times
Received rep: 22 times

Post #39 by TGR » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:52 am

I use Centos at work and I've switched my personal computer to Ubuntu. I don't think I'll go back to Windows. Although I do run a VM of a Windows 7 image just for Eastside Hockey Manager.
PredsFan77

Post #40 by PredsFan77 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:01 pm

I fucked up the install. the ubuntu partition is only 10 GBs. It wouldn't let me separate the windows partition for some reason?
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 901 times
Received rep: 461 times

Post #41 by vonbonds » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:13 pm

Fucking predo
PredsFan77

Post #42 by PredsFan77 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:26 am

It looks like there's a program in the Ubuntu software shop that lets you edit partitions after the fact. Gparted?
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
TGR
Registered Broad

Post #43 by TGR » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:27 pm

Yes. It has a GUI just for Windows people like yourself.
PredsFan77

Post #44 by PredsFan77 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:46 pm

How do I tell what partition I'm on? I'm guessing the one with ext4? Then from there I just select to format the space to the current Linux partition?
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
PredsFan77

Post #45 by PredsFan77 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:58 pm

Ok think I figured it out. Resized everything around and now running gparted to increase the Linux partition to about 100 gigs. So hopefully nothing gets corrupted, otherwise I'm throwing this computer out the window.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
PredsFan77

Post #46 by PredsFan77 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:02 pm

lol it fucked up. So i just reinstalled and everything is good. What do I need to install on ubuntu?
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
TGR
Registered Broad

Post #47 by TGR » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:51 pm

LibreOffice comes pre-installed. That's basically Microsoft Office (but free!).

What do you use? Skype? VLC? Chrome? Thunderbird? GIMP?
PredsFan77

Post #48 by PredsFan77 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:56 pm

yeah I already installed Chrome, VLC, and redshift. Wasn't sure if there were some magical apps I was missing out on....Does Steam work? Any way to play previous saved games from windows on linux steam?
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]

Return to “The Boring World of Niels Bohr”