Laptop recommendations

We're probably smart enough for a science and technology forum
NHL33
Received rep: 2 times

Laptop recommendations

Post #1 by NHL33 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:43 pm

Anyone have good experiences with particular brands? Toshiba is out of the picture.

My relatives will need a new one within the past few months, their computer usage is basically all Internet so almost any specs will do.

Only things that'll be concerns are Windows 7 (not Windows 8) and having a decently sized screen (ideally 17.3").
IcE ColD
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 41 times
Received rep: 92 times

Post #2 by IcE ColD » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:52 pm

Lotsa vid watching or mostly surfing blogs, social medias and such?
This whole idea that we are even important is a fucking illusion. We’re just an accident left to our own devices.

Trent Reznor - 24/07/2018
NHL33

Post #3 by NHL33 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:15 am

IcE ColD wrote:Lotsa vid watching or mostly surfing blogs, social medias and such?

Mostly checking email and reading news, but also YouTube and streaming videos. Nothing in NetFlix or similar territory, very basic Internet usage.

vonbonds wrote:Why not used? If specs don't matter save money so they can spend it on something else they care about.

I haven't discounted getting a refurbished one, I need help deciding which brand to pursue (e.g. one that can increase the odds of not crapping out in a year or two).
rbochan
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 1 time

Post #4 by rbochan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:54 am

onefatsurfer wrote:I am a fan of ASUS

Indeed. Good machines for the money.

I like Lenovo as well - Thinkpads.
...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
it's Don't Tread On Me.
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 259 times
Received rep: 415 times

Post #5 by senate » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:32 pm

NHL33 wrote:I need help deciding which brand to pursue (e.g. one that can increase the odds of not crapping out in a year or two).

None of the big brands have inherent problems or failure rates across their entire range of products but they have all made models that are lemons. It would be easier to determine your price range and then find the models at major retailers (i.e. big box stores, Amazon, Dell, and Newegg) with best specs in that range. Low-end models are usually several months (at least) old so there should be a lot of feedback about them online. So, find the models you are interested in and google them for user and expert reviews. Also, do a search of the brand's help forum. If there are multiple or big threads about your model, stay away from it.
shredz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1503 times
Received rep: 877 times

Post #6 by shredz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:42 pm

I just got a new laptop. If you want my old one I'll sell it to you fairly cheap. It's a Gateway. I'd obviously clean it out and re-install windows. It's in fairly good shape.
NHL33

Post #7 by NHL33 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:24 pm

Master Shredder wrote:I just got a new laptop. If you want my old one I'll sell it to you fairly cheap. It's a Gateway. I'd obviously clean it out and re-install windows. It's in fairly good shape.

Thanks, but that's not necessary (and I'm seriously not hurting for money by any means). Occasionally charge its battery and keep it on standby, you never know when one will die to a driver issue or whatever -- fixable items, but things that can take a painstaking amount of time depending on the problem.

I've never had a Gateway personally, either as a desktop or laptop (and I've never had a netbook/table/etc.)...though I think they did have eMachines - I know, laughable - so maybe I did at one point. Is their keyboard comfortable? Any noticeable quirks or negative traits?
shredz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1503 times
Received rep: 877 times

Post #8 by shredz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:50 pm

NHL33 wrote:Thanks, but that's not necessary (and I'm seriously not hurting for money by any means). Occasionally charge its battery and keep it on standby, you never know when one will die to a driver issue or whatever -- fixable items, but things that can take a painstaking amount of time depending on the problem.

I've never had a Gateway personally, either as a desktop or laptop (and I've never had a netbook/table/etc.)...though I think they did have eMachines - I know, laughable - so maybe I did at one point. Is their keyboard comfortable? Any noticeable quirks or negative traits?

I hate all keyboards and mouse usage on latops so I can't really give you a good answer.

I've never had a problem with Gateway. It was just time to upgrade.

Check out Best Buy or something they usually have some solid deals.

My main gripe is sometimes they overheat quite a bit very quickly.
NHL33

Post #9 by NHL33 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:50 pm

Big#D wrote:Why don't they just go with a tablet? They're easy, portable, and good enough for what they're looking to do.

Because they're not used to it and that makes a huge difference. Trust me.
Murphy
Has given rep: 97 times
Received rep: 16 times

Post #10 by Murphy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:25 am

NHL33 wrote:Because they're not used to it and that makes a huge difference. Trust me.

They'll pick it up quickly.

We got my mother in law an Ipad with a keyboard and after the beginning learning curve, she uses it everyday. The father in law said it was the only gift he's ever seen her receive that she's used so much.
Paper Jam Dipper
Registered Broad

Post #11 by Paper Jam Dipper » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:19 pm

I like my Acer.
NHL33

Post #12 by NHL33 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:46 pm

I'm thinking I'll get them a Windows 8 machine. That opens up more possibilities for savings. On the one hand I know I'm going to get dozens of tech support calls/emails, but on the other the metro mode might actually be simpler and easier for them.

Black Friday is almost here, just keeping an eye on potential sales. Some decent ones right now, but I know better ones will come.

Keeping myself open to the tablet option but it'd probably be better getting a laptop/tablet hybrid then an out-and-out tablet. That'll still likely be more expensive than a laptop alone, so I doubt I'll pursue that.
stan:getz

Post #13 by stan:getz » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:29 pm

NHL33 wrote:I'm thinking I'll get them a Windows 8 machine. That opens up more possibilities for savings. On the one hand I know I'm going to get dozens of tech support calls/emails, but on the other the metro mode might actually be simpler and easier for them.

Black Friday is almost here, just keeping an eye on potential sales. Some decent ones right now, but I know better ones will come.

Keeping myself open to the tablet option but it'd probably be better getting a laptop/tablet hybrid then an out-and-out tablet. That'll still likely be more expensive than a laptop alone, so I doubt I'll pursue that.

Just buy a macbook dude. You're rich anyway. It's worth it, and headache free.

The macbook air is awesome. Windows 8 is as gay as a male cumming into another male.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[CENTER][font="Trebuchet MS"][color="#4169e1"]Do not fuck with me[/color][/font][/CENTER]
VLoo
Has given rep: 86 times
Received rep: 111 times

Post #14 by VLoo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:36 pm

Seriously, Windows 8 is a piece of shit and I hate it. Get a Macbook, it's reliable and you won't have to field any tech questions/emails when you set up a macbook tutorial at the apple store or whatever the fuck they do.
stan:getz

Post #15 by stan:getz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:34 am

onefatsurfer wrote:Why the fuck would he spend a thousand dollars or more on a macbook when he can get a decent pc for $300?

Because he's not a poor hick with bellybutton lint living in a trailer in Alabama?
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

[CENTER][font="Trebuchet MS"][color="#4169e1"]Do not fuck with me[/color][/font][/CENTER]
Ironchef Chris Wok
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #16 by Ironchef Chris Wok » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:03 pm

THINK PADS
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 137 times
Received rep: 391 times

Post #17 by Dr_Chimera » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:12 pm

I have the macbook air. Hellishly expensive, but it won't die on me at the worst possible moment and is, in every way, awesome.
Cao
Registered Broad
Received rep: 3 times

Post #18 by Cao » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Dr_Chimera wrote:I have the macbook air. Hellishly expensive, but it won't die on me at the worst possible moment and is, in every way, awesome.

I agree with this.

Also it hasn't been said in this thread (and probably goes without saying) but: do not buy an HP laptop.
Twitter bArt
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 271 times
Received rep: 440 times

Post #19 by Twitter bArt » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:46 pm

Cao wrote:I agree with this.

Also it hasn't been said in this thread (and probably goes without saying) but: do not buy an HP laptop.

really

I've had one for about 5 years and still going strong

no issues

upgraded to Win 7 with no issues.
:mkbét::lr: :lr:

OOOH yeah life goes on, long after the thrill of Vinny is gone

It's too bad all the people that could really run the Habs are busy doing talk radio, writing blogs or posting on message boards.

Now, Lajoie is an imbecile, a cretin and a plagiarist, who to use author Dany Laferrière's deliciously withering expression, "lives beyond his intellectual means."

...as serious as a poutine shortage in Chicoutimi during a curling bonspiel...

Haddock wrote:I wouldn't know anything about that. I gave my soul up when I swore allegiance to the goddamn queen.

:lr: :lr: :lr:
Cao
Registered Broad
Received rep: 3 times

Post #20 by Cao » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:38 pm

Arturo wrote:really

I've had one for about 5 years and still going strong

no issues

upgraded to Win 7 with no issues.

lucky bastard
Twitter bArt
Registered Broad

Post #21 by Twitter bArt » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:25 pm

so consider myself lucky and avoid another one

I was thinking of changing for a newer model

It's too bad all the people that could really run the Habs are busy doing talk radio, writing blogs or posting on message boards.

Now, Lajoie is an imbecile, a cretin and a plagiarist, who to use author Dany Laferrière's deliciously withering expression, "lives beyond his intellectual means."

Haddock wrote:I wouldn't know anything about that. I gave my soul up when I swore allegiance to the goddamn queen.

clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 283 times
Received rep: 475 times

Post #22 by clawfirst » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:30 pm

meh I have an hp and aside from its terrible keyboard no issues.
NHL33

Post #23 by NHL33 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:58 pm

Apple's prices are ridiculous. I think I'll stay away from Mac for now. But haven't completely ruled out a Mac mini.
Craig
Registered Broad
Received rep: 419 times

Post #24 by Craig » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:01 pm

NHL33 wrote:Apple's prices are ridiculous. I think I'll stay away from Mac for now. But haven't completely ruled out a Mac mini.

If you want to buy a mac anything, just know that you're voluntarily paying an extra 50-100% regardless of the product. I would argue that their products are inferior to Android or Windows devices, depending on what area you're dealing with, which I suppose could be debated. But the price differential is unquestionable, you should really know you want that iWhatever specifically before you buy it.
RTWAP
Has given rep: 27 times
Received rep: 33 times

Post #25 by RTWAP » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:08 pm

Craig wrote:If you want to buy a mac anything, just know that you're voluntarily paying an extra 50-100% regardless of the product. I would argue that their products are inferior to Android or Windows devices, depending on what area you're dealing with, which I suppose could be debated. But the price differential is unquestionable, you should really know you want that iWhatever specifically before you buy it.

It has been said that people who buy Apple products are simpleminded morons. I'm not sure that's true.
Craig
Registered Broad
Received rep: 419 times

Post #26 by Craig » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:12 pm

RTWAP wrote:It has been said that people who buy Apple products are simpleminded morons. I'm not sure that's true.

I was trying to be polite.
Twitter bArt
Registered Broad

Post #27 by Twitter bArt » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:19 pm

RTWAP wrote:It has been said that people who buy Apple products are simpleminded morons. I'm not sure that's true.

I don't have an Apple

:crossarms:

NHL33

Post #28 by NHL33 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:23 pm

Craig wrote:If you want to buy a mac anything, just know that you're voluntarily paying an extra 50-100% regardless of the product. I would argue that their products are inferior to Android or Windows devices, depending on what area you're dealing with, which I suppose could be debated. But the price differential is unquestionable, you should really know you want that iWhatever specifically before you buy it.

Yeah, I know. That's why the thought makes my skin crawl. Like I said, I haven't 'completely' ruled out a Mac mini, but the odds are pretty low that I go for it.
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 454 times
Received rep: 256 times

Post #29 by vf » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:26 pm

Avoid refurbs.
Hope is the worst of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man.

[SIZE="1"]Recruiting for EHM 05 Online[/size]
NHL33

Post #30 by NHL33 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:55 pm

Bought a Gateway touch screen 15.6" featuring Windows 8, 4 GB RAM and serviceable CPU from Microsoft store. Added an external Samsung DVD+/- optical drive from Amazon. Total came to under $400 including tax.

This saga is officially concluded. I was very tempted by some Lenovo deals but ultimately decided the price upgrade was simply not worth it -- and I think they may enjoy the touch screen with the Gateway. Thank you, all, for your recommendations.
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 65 times
Received rep: 82 times

Post #31 by Ricard_Persson » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:54 am

znk built me one a few years ago. Still using it now. He's good. :laef:
Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 530 times
Received rep: 710 times

Post #32 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:08 pm

As the information in this fred is now obsolete it is time to start anew.

I want a high performance non-gaming laptop. I like ASUS, however everything of appeal on their website has been discontinued (wtf?). You have two options, fellas:

a) Point me in the direction of a fine high performance non-gaming laptop

b) Tell me everything I need, and where I need to go for a custom built high performance non-gaming laptop

Thank you in advance, and all the best to you and yours in this greatest of ages.
Redden Punches Faces
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times

Post #33 by Redden Punches Faces » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:42 pm

ibm, mate
Nibblet
Registered Broad

Post #34 by Nibblet » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:06 pm

dong perimong wrote:As the information in this fred is now obsolete it is time to start anew.

I want a high performance non-gaming laptop. I like ASUS, however everything of appeal on their website has been discontinued (wtf?). You have two options, fellas:

a) Point me in the direction of a fine high performance non-gaming laptop

b) Tell me everything I need, and where I need to go for a custom built high performance non-gaming laptop

Thank you in advance, and all the best to you and yours in this greatest of ages.

...Custom built laptop. What?

You really need to specify a budget and whether or not you're willing to lug around a 15 inch 5 pound beast with 3 hour battery.

Redden Punches Faces wrote:ibm, mate

Bro, it's not 1995 anymore.
NHL33

Post #35 by NHL33 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:46 pm

Whatever you settle on, make sure you get a good solid state drive. Use a secondary drive for storage.
Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad

Post #36 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:24 pm

Nibblet wrote:...Custom built laptop. What?

You really need to specify a budget and whether or not you're willing to lug around a 15 inch 5 pound beast with 3 hour battery.

Or would could just solve option a) for me.

I don't have a budget, Nibblét. I'm rich.
Twitter bArt
Registered Broad

Post #37 by Twitter bArt » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:59 pm

don't buy the piece of shit I bought

Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad

Post #38 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:50 pm

NHL33 wrote:Whatever you settle on, make sure you get a good solid state drive. Use a secondary drive for storage.

I don't know what any of this means.
RTWAP
Has given rep: 27 times
Received rep: 33 times

Post #39 by RTWAP » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:37 pm

Percentage of time I'm on battery power <1%.

I sometimes wish they'd make portable computers, like laptops but without the batteries.
IcE ColD
Registered Broad
Received rep: 92 times

Post #40 by IcE ColD » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:38 pm

RTWAP wrote:Percentage of time I'm on battery power <1%.

I sometimes wish they'd make portable computers, like laptops but without the batteries.

Remove the battery on your laptop then.

TADA!!
This whole idea that we are even important is a fucking illusion. We’re just an accident left to our own devices.

Trent Reznor - 24/07/2018
Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad

Post #41 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:42 pm

[CENTER][SIZE="7"]WHAT LAPTOP SHOULD I BUY[/size][/CENTER]
Twitter bArt
Registered Broad

Post #42 by Twitter bArt » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:10 pm

[SIZE="7"][font="Century Gothic"]DEFINITELY NOT THE ONE I BOUGHT[/font][/size]

Return to “The Boring World of Niels Bohr”