Stream movies from home computer to Kindle Fire HDX

We're probably smart enough for a science and technology forum
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 177 times
Received rep: 260 times

Post #1 by WTF » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:38 pm

I'm not sure if something like BubbleUPnP is available on the Amazon app store but that might be an alternative (assuming the folders on your media server are available as a network share). I run a Plex server on my NAS so I've been alternating between that and [S]XBMC[/S]Kodi (synchronized through MariaDB on the same NAS).
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #2 by WTF » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:09 pm

vonbonds wrote:Yeah, I'm leaning towards Plexing everything so it won't matter what device people have. I assume family and friends that frequent our house can have the client work for them too with Plex.

The nice thing about going with Plex is that they can always connect via the web interface if they don't want to bother installing the client. All they need is the link.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #3 by WTF » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:56 pm

vonbonds wrote:Is there a limit to how many clients are attached to an account?

I don't recall there being one but I would check more thoroughly if you plan on streaming to a large number of clients concurrently. So far, I've got a phone, two tablets, a smart TV, a laptop and two desktops all with the client installed with no problems.

I'm lazy and usually watch through the web interface if I already have my browser open. If I don't even want to get up and turn on my desktop, I just watch it on the smart TV.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #4 by WTF » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:41 pm

Glad to hear that it's working out for you. I should probably also mention that a fair number of devices have dedicated Plex clients available for them, including the Roku.

The only time you may need a little more processor power to throw at the Plex server is if you need to transcode, which in turn depends on the audio and video codecs and formats used for the original file vs. what the client device can support. Otherwise, you don't need a very powerful machine at all. The NAS where I've installed my Plex server just has a simple dual-core Freescale QorIQ CPU. If I was to do it over, I'd probably choose a NAS with an x86 processor just for better package support.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #5 by WTF » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:50 pm

Cool. I can confirm that the Chromecast works pretty well with Plex as I've used it for a while now. Considering the price, the Chromecast is a pretty useful little device.

I never actually registered for a Plex account as I only use it for local streaming at home but I may check it out sometime. I still have a backlog I have to make my way through for my own library and in following way too many shows at the moment (Archer, Arrow, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Castle, The Flash, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Justified, Suits, etc.).
VLoo
Has given rep: 52 times
Received rep: 72 times

Post #6 by VLoo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:22 am

WTF wrote:Cool. I can confirm that the Chromecast works pretty well with Plex as I've used it for a while now. Considering the price, the Chromecast is a pretty useful little device.

I never actually registered for a Plex account as I only use it for local streaming at home but I may check it out sometime. I still have a backlog I have to make my way through for my own library and in following way too many shows at the moment (Archer, Arrow, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Castle, The Flash, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Justified, Suits, etc.).

I'm pretty sure certain devices only have the Plex platform available to "Plex Pass" subscribers, so if you're using an Xbox(I also assume PS systems) you need to subscribe for the app to properly work. Might be the case for Roku as well.

Overall I'm really happy with it, it's just very convenient to have all your media available across multiple platforms. It also has a pretty sweet community constantly around to develop some solid plug-ins to add to the value and for troubleshooting.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to sync everything up storage wise, as I don't have old laptops lying around like vonbonds. Was thinking a wireless external so I don't need it constantly plugged into my Macbook, but doesn't really solve my problem if I'm away with my Macbook but not the external(work and what not). What's this nas business all about? Can you get one for a reasonable price? Seems like it would be the ideal solution. I have about 2TBs of stuff on various externals, but I don't have the room to house it on my Macbook.

Might be cheaper to just pick up a refurbished laptop on ebay or something and have that dedicated for it.
PredsFan77 wrote:Vloo: I forgot to include him in my top ten, but I would encourage him to sleep with any of my exes so that we could say our penises have been in the same space. I'd like that.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #7 by WTF » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:09 pm

A NAS (Network-Attached Storage) is just a fancy way of referring to a device designed to have its storage accessible through a network.

Some people prefer to build their own with specialized Linux distros and spare computer parts but you can also buy pre-made systems (some with and some without hard drives pre-installed). Pre-made systems are usually designed to be power-sipping, always on devices, usually with configuration options for disks to spin down and enter hibernate to further reduce power consumption. There are specialized NAS drives available too.
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #8 by WTF » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:16 pm

vonbonds wrote:I'd go NAS if greenfield. I only went Linux (Debian Wheezy) as I have 3 laptops laying around. So a free to me laptop (old work stuff) and $139 for a 4TB Western Digital My Book USB drive hanging off is how I'm serving up the data.

Yeah, you might as well re-purpose an old machine if you have one lying around that wouldn't be in use anyway. It's nice that large storage drives have hit a very reasonable price point. I picked up an external 4TB drive off Amazon on New Year's Eve for $109 CAD (before tax, free shipping).
WTF
Registered Broad

Post #9 by WTF » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:27 pm

vonbonds wrote:I just got a Chromecast and used it for 5 minutes. Quite an amazing little device.

Google priced it right. There's also a promo at the moment:

http://m.androidcentral.com/chromecast-owners-can-now-claim-6-google-play-movies-credit
VLoo

Post #10 by VLoo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:51 pm

Getting a Chromecast is probably redundant if you already have AppleTV right? It's pretty cheap so if there are any other benefits I'd consider picking it up.
PredsFan77 wrote:Vloo: I forgot to include him in my top ten, but I would encourage him to sleep with any of my exes so that we could say our penises have been in the same space. I'd like that.
VLoo

Post #11 by VLoo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:30 am

I know how you get when you don't get your Tom Selleck fix.
VLoo

Post #12 by VLoo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:49 am

Murphy
Has given rep: 41 times
Received rep: 7 times

Post #13 by Murphy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:21 am

vonbonds wrote:It's a dead torrent, no seeders or leaches. I've been on it for weeks at thiis point with 0 progress.

Check IPtorrents.
VLoo

Post #14 by VLoo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:31 am

Thomas Malthus wrote:Didn't want to make a new thread for it but Chromecast or Roku 3? What are your fellas thoughts on these products?

Are you using any VPN services like Unblock-US? Can be an issue with Roku depending on your provider/router. Mostly I've found it to be pretty much as advertised which is a good thing. I have never used a Chromecast so unfortunately I can't give you a comparison.
Murphy

Post #15 by Murphy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:11 am

Thomas Malthus wrote:I'm not currently using any VPN services. As of right now I'm using my Xbox 360 to stream Netflix. I don't really play games and so I was hoping to get something that takes up less space and had more functionality.

The Chromecast doesn't have any apps installed on it. You send it links to things to play.

So when you cast Netflix, you are sending it from your phone, tablet, computer, etc.

I like the Chromecast, but you need to keep this in mind.
Murphy

Post #16 by Murphy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:19 am

Thomas Malthus wrote:Thanks, yeah using my phone wouldn't bother me. Sometimes there are things that MM and I want to watch (like hockey streams or anime or something) and we need to use a cable to connect our laptops to the TV. But the cord length and having to have both devices working at once is a pain in the ass. MM wants us to get both but I don't want to buy both if I don't have to.

From the sounds of things, if you're going the stream approach then a Chromecast is probably a good buy.

I bought mine at 39$ and I got 20$ credit and just the other day I got an additional 6$ credit. Pretty soon I won't have spent a cent on getting it.
Murphy

Post #17 by Murphy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:36 am

Thomas Malthus wrote:You got a credit? What for?

Google just offers promotional credit every once in a while. I think the 6 dollars was for Valentine's day?
VLoo

Post #18 by VLoo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:31 am

Thomas Malthus wrote:I asked my friend to pick it up for us last night, we'll soon see how it is! :) Maybe this will serve as MM's V-Day present...

SPOILER: Probably not
Murphy

Post #19 by Murphy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:48 am

Thomas Malthus wrote:I asked my friend to pick it up for us last night, we'll soon see how it is! :) Maybe this will serve as MM's V-Day present...

That would be really dumb.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 23 times
Received rep: 175 times

Post #20 by Craig » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:23 pm

K would be so confused if I got her a V-day present. Maybe I should, just to see her reaction.
VLoo

Post #21 by VLoo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:53 pm

In my experience, a vacuum is a real crowd pleaser.
VLoo

Post #22 by VLoo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:53 am

vonbonds wrote:Help me find Season 8. It isn't on the normal locations. You can do no less.

von, why is Tom Selleck no longer available to me on your Plex library?

This place is a fucking prison.
VLoo

Post #23 by VLoo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:56 pm

vonbonds wrote:I rebooted the laptop last night as Plex was being difficult for me too. Is it working today?

It was always working but your library is just movies and then kids movies/tv shows now. What if I wanted to binge watch Magnum PI?! Selfish.
VLoo

Post #24 by VLoo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:36 pm

For some reason whenever I try to set up plex with unblockus or similar VPN on Apple TV it just doesn't fucking work. It's really frustrating because I don't want to go back and forth on my DNS settings just to get US Netflix.
VLoo

Post #25 by VLoo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:33 pm

vonbonds wrote:Apple TV hacks to get it to work look like a pain in the but. Just get a Roku or Chromecast (works great for me) with Plex.

Plex works fine with Apple TV, but for some reason even after following very specific instructions to change certain entries in the code it still doesn't work with a VPN. I'll have to look into the Chromecast because I might run into the same problem. I imagine it's a Google DNS server set up in that bitch which means there'll still be a DNS issue getting it to redirect to an American IP. Roku is an even bigger issue with this because you can't manually change the DNS on the Roku.

EDIT: Chromecast also does not allow you to manually change DNS.
VLoo

Post #26 by VLoo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:45 pm

vonbonds wrote:Chromecast doesn't run anything. You "cast" to it from your phone or tablet like with Airplay.

It has the Google DNS hardcoded into it, so you can't change it from the router unless I reformatted my router with DD-WRT or whatever the fuck.

Return to “The Boring World of Niels Bohr”