Stream movies from home computer to Kindle Fire HDX

We're probably smart enough for a science and technology forum
VLoo
Has given rep: 52 times
Received rep: 72 times

Post #51 by VLoo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:20 pm

vonbonds wrote:I've been quite active filling out my library. I'm going to re-upload all of Archer through Season 5, just put every Simpsons episode on there and will have all of Black Sails by tomorrow.

Once I find a good deal on an old used laptop I don't give a shit about I can hook up my external to it and have a shit ton more movies and tv. Just have no room on my macbook to add more shit.
PredsFan77 wrote:Vloo: I forgot to include him in my top ten, but I would encourage him to sleep with any of my exes so that we could say our penises have been in the same space. I'd like that.
VLoo

Post #52 by VLoo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:44 pm

I looked into both and preferred what I was getting from Plex. Partly because XBMC isn't supported for Apple TV 3, but I thought media management seemed a little simpler in Plex.
PredsFan77 wrote:Vloo: I forgot to include him in my top ten, but I would encourage him to sleep with any of my exes so that we could say our penises have been in the same space. I'd like that.
Murphy
Has given rep: 44 times
Received rep: 9 times

Post #53 by Murphy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:46 am

I'm with Vloo, I checked out Kodi because Craig is a big fan but I prefer Plex.

You're also able to add channels to Plex where you can stream virtually any show. Look into the unofficial channel installer? (Something like that) and install the channels for Let me watch this and SS Plex.
VLoo

Post #54 by VLoo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:18 am

Murphy wrote:I'm with Vloo, I checked out Kodi because Craig is a big fan but I prefer Plex.

You're also able to add channels to Plex where you can stream virtually any show. Look into the unofficial channel installer? (Something like that) and install the channels for Let me watch this and SS Plex.

Unofficial App Store, I believe is what it's called. I installed SS Plex and have never used it. The Letmewatchthis channel is so key though. Sometimes it's a pain if you have to cycle through a bunch of links to get the episode or movie to play, but obviously it's a massive selection of stuff to watch. Adds a ton to your library without actually having to add to the library, which is nice for me since as previously discussed I'm lacking in the storage department here.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 23 times
Received rep: 190 times

Post #55 by Craig » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:31 am

If you're going to stream your own library, Plex is clearly better. I like Kodi for the 1channel plugin (1channel = letmewatchthis = primewire) but if Plex has something similar then you're aces.
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 179 times
Received rep: 260 times

Post #56 by WTF » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:38 pm

I use both Plex and Kodi. I really should consider using Trakt to keep my watched status in sync.

I use Plex because the auto-scraping capability seems to come at a minimal performance hit and sometimes I'm too lazy to update my library right away. Also, I can use it with my Samsung TV and my Chromecast without any problems. Unfortunately, XBMC/Kodi isn't directly supported on those devices. The closest I could get is exposing the library as a UPnP share. The Plex Web App Player is good if I don't want to launch a standalone player and I want to quickly switch between watching and doing something else in Chrome.

I use Kodi synced to a MariaDB database because of the level of customization available. I tinkered with an addon that would scan my library at one point but the script would crap out every so often. There are a hell of a lot of addons available and it was downright trivial to set it to launch Steam in Big Picture Mode on my newest toy (HP Stream Mini with an extra 4 GB RAM). Adding SuperRepo to greatly expand the number of addons available is nice and the different skins can be customized to varying degrees. I'm finally getting around to trying out Aeon Nox as I've stuck with Transparency or Metropolis on most of my installs (I think I may have one or two using Confluence still). There's a bit more of a learning curve with Kodi (I keep multiple versions of advancedsettings.xml around for the different platforms I use: Android, Linux, and Windows) but it's pretty simple to setup and very versatile.
Murphy
Has given rep: 44 times
Received rep: 9 times

Post #57 by Murphy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:46 pm

If you can add every episode of King of the Hill, you would have my thanks.
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 57 times
Received rep: 178 times

Post #58 by Dr_Chimera » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:34 pm

vonbonds wrote:I'm in the process of adding all the Bond movies, Inside Llewlyn Davis, both Anchroman movies, Monty Python classics (Holy Grail, Life of Brian and Meaning of Life) as well as some B favorites of mine in Army of Darkness (different ending so maybe it's the directors cut or something) and Flash Gordon. For you with kids I just added Paddington.

Forget all that shit. Watch Flesh Gordon.
VLoo

Post #59 by VLoo » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:07 am

Just added every season of Futurama. Plex wasn't reading it correctly for some reason in my TV folder so I had to add it as its own separate folder, but whatever, they're all in order at least.
VLoo

Post #60 by VLoo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:06 pm

Internet is currently downloading at about 5 mbps right now, so I haven't been able to reliably use Plex without tons of buffering for a few days. Stupid Rogers.
cawbber
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 130 times
Received rep: 81 times

Post #61 by cawbber » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:39 pm

WTF wrote:I use both Plex and Kodi. I really should consider using Trakt to keep my watched status in sync.

https://torrentfreak.com/pirates-expose-their-download-habits-through-trakt-141130/
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 179 times
Received rep: 260 times

Post #62 by WTF » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:57 pm

I suspected something along those lines might be the case. Ah well.

Return to “The Boring World of Niels Bohr”