Ubuntu Question.

We're probably smart enough for a science and technology forum
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 86 times

Ubuntu Question.

Post #1 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:19 pm

I'm having a little bit of a problem with the lady friend's computer right now. She has a PC running Windows 8 (total trash, I know), and it's throwing up Samsung's version of the blue-screen. I've downloaded Ubuntu version 15, and made a LiveCD which I'm currently running on her desktop to circumvent the whole blue-screen bullshit.

I cannot for the life of me mount her harddrive, though (or her until this thing's fixed, but that's neither here nor there.) I can see it in the Disks section. I can see the partition she has in place. And this is after I've scanned the bloody thing, and it tells me everything's "ok".

Where do I go from here? I'm just trying to pull her pictures off the fucking hard-drive. That's all. Nothing crazy, really.

Any suggestions?
His Satanic Majestic Request
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1570 times
Received rep: 724 times

Re: Ubuntu Question.

Post #2 by vonbonds » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:41 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:I'm having a little bit of a problem with the lady friend's computer right now. She has a PC running Windows 8 (total trash, I know), and it's throwing up Samsung's version of the blue-screen. I've downloaded Ubuntu version 15, and made a LiveCD which I'm currently running on her desktop to circumvent the whole blue-screen bullshit.

I cannot for the life of me mount her harddrive, though (or her until this thing's fixed, but that's neither here nor there.) I can see it in the Disks section. I can see the partition she has in place. And this is after I've scanned the bloody thing, and it tells me everything's "ok".

Where do I go from here? I'm just trying to pull her pictures off the fucking hard-drive. That's all. Nothing crazy, really.

Any suggestions?

I had the same problem with a Lenovo T430s I got from work for my son. The fucking thing blue screened like crazy with Windows 7 after about 1-2 hours of use. It had a driver problem I couldn't hunt down and it is probably your issue too since the drive is showing as clean (mine did the same thing). I said fuck it and installed Debian Linux on it as my son is 7 and doesn't give a shit about what a computer is as long as it can run Minecraft and it's been running flawlessly since then. Your lady friend might not be as accommodating so I guess you will have to keep hunting down the driver issue which is my guess as to your problem.
rbochan
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 1 time

Post #3 by rbochan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:35 am

Yep. My guess would be a hard drive issue causing the blue screen in Winders. You might see if the Ubuntu version you have includes gparted or some other partitioning tool that will allow you to manipulate the drive. That could tell you more.
...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
it's Don't Tread On Me.
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 86 times

Post #4 by Rogers Pancreas » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:30 pm

Well, fuck.

Off to the professionals we go.
His Satanic Majestic Request
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 415 times
Received rep: 236 times

Post #5 by vf » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:39 pm

Did you try just plugging the hdd into another comp as a slave?
cawbber
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 209 times
Received rep: 152 times

Post #6 by cawbber » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:53 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:I'm having a little bit of a problem with the lady friend's computer right now. She has a PC running Windows 8 (total trash, I know), and it's throwing up Samsung's version of the blue-screen. I've downloaded Ubuntu version 15, and made a LiveCD which I'm currently running on her desktop to circumvent the whole blue-screen bullshit.

Any suggestions?

May I suggest buying her dinner before you try to mount her?
VLoo
Has given rep: 80 times
Received rep: 98 times

Post #7 by VLoo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:25 am

:donger:

Return to “The Boring World of Niels Bohr”