Home Automation

We're probably smart enough for a science and technology forum
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 915 times
Received rep: 466 times

Home Automation

Post #1 by vonbonds » Thu May 19, 2016 10:26 am

So I've gone all in with home automation. I have had Belkin WeMo outlets for a while but I recently purchased Samsung's Smartthings hub with water leak, motion and door sensors which work over z-wave and zigbee. It integrates with WeMo so I am controlling everything through Smartthings. On top of that I purchased an Amazon Echo and can control everything with voice commands on our first floor. I've purchased an Amazon Dot but that won't arrive until July. I'll mount that on the ceiling in my basement so I can issue voice commands there too.

I also recently got a Chamberlain MyQ garage door wifi controller so I can see and operate my garage doors via it's app or online but that recently stopped working with Smartthings. I prefer the visual view of the doors so I'm not concerned about that broken integration at this point and can put additional sensors on the door if I want to have the open/close status visible in Smartthings if I so choose.

I also just purchased a Logitech Harmony hub so I can control our family room TV with my iPhone/iPads and can integrate it with Amazon's Echo but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

So far so good, everything is pretty cool. I'll eventually get around to bluetooth & WiFi enabled door locks but I'm not sure who I want to go with yet.

I'll update this as I move along with this.
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 152 times
Received rep: 296 times

Re: Home Automation

Post #2 by clawfirst » Thu May 19, 2016 11:02 am

When the machines rise to power , you and your type will be the first enslaved. I will continue to use mechanical switches and breakers . They will fear me, for they will not know when I am coming for them. Only that I will.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #3 by vonbonds » Thu May 19, 2016 11:12 am

Alexa..mute clawfirst
R-66Y
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 85 times
Received rep: 49 times

Post #4 by R-66Y » Fri May 20, 2016 3:19 pm

The only home automation device i have is a timer switch on my router/ cable modem. I prefer it that way because wasting electricity is for suckers
cawbber
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 130 times
Received rep: 81 times

Post #5 by cawbber » Fri May 20, 2016 10:53 pm

vonbonds wrote:So I've gone all in with home automation. I have had Belkin WeMo outlets for a while but I recently purchased Samsung's Smartthings hub with water leak, motion and door sensors which work over z-wave and zigbee. It integrates with WeMo so I am controlling everything through Smartthings. On top of that I purchased an Amazon Echo and can control everything with voice commands on our first floor. I've purchased an Amazon Dot but that won't arrive until July. I'll mount that on the ceiling in my basement so I can issue voice commands there too.

I also recently got a Chamberlain MyQ garage door wifi controller so I can see and operate my garage doors via it's app or online but that recently stopped working with Smartthings. I prefer the visual view of the doors so I'm not concerned about that broken integration at this point and can put additional sensors on the door if I want to have the open/close status visible in Smartthings if I so choose.

I also just purchased a Logitech Harmony hub so I can control our family room TV with my iPhone/iPads and can integrate it with Amazon's Echo but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

So far so good, everything is pretty cool. I'll eventually get around to bluetooth & WiFi enabled door locks but I'm not sure who I want to go with yet.

The NSA will love you.
vonbonds
Registered Broad

Post #6 by vonbonds » Fri May 20, 2016 11:55 pm

cob wrote:
vonbonds wrote:So I've gone all in with home automation. I have had Belkin WeMo outlets for a while but I recently purchased Samsung's Smartthings hub with water leak, motion and door sensors which work over z-wave and zigbee. It integrates with WeMo so I am controlling everything through Smartthings. On top of that I purchased an Amazon Echo and can control everything with voice commands on our first floor. I've purchased an Amazon Dot but that won't arrive until July. I'll mount that on the ceiling in my basement so I can issue voice commands there too.

The NSA will love you.

I'm wasn't hard to track as it was :paulrus:

Return to “The Boring World of Niels Bohr”