Scott Parker

Straight noggin
HowardBrazee
Registered Broad

Scott Parker

Post #1 by HowardBrazee » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:38 am

Today was the 2nd day when the Denver Post had articles about enforcers and Scott Parker's health. He was on the cover of the paper (Saturday?). Here's one article:

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_24631033/former-avs-enforcer-scott-parker-battling-effects-concussions
NHL33
Received rep: 2 times

Post #2 by NHL33 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:41 pm

That's brutal and I really hope that science is currently capable of, or is able to advance enough to provide him an every day life again. Same for other athletes, soldiers, normal citizens, and so on affected by head trauma.

I'm on the fence about eliminating fighting altogether right now, I see both the advantages and disadvantages in doing so. Ultimately I think it simply needs to be removed and have judicious, objective disciplining of on-ice actions by a governing body as the mitigating factor to cheap shots, etc., as a deterrent. The problem is getting that objectivity going and having it be enforced thoroughly even for actions that don't directly lead to injuries. Without that it's impossible to make fighting illegal.
WarriorOfGandhi
Registered Broad

Post #3 by WarriorOfGandhi » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:49 pm

I'd rather watch hockey without goons than hockey without fighting
NHL33

Post #4 by NHL33 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:33 pm

WarriorOfGandhi wrote:I'd rather watch hockey without goons than hockey without fighting

That requires no fighting. There's a reason why someone like John Scott or Patrick Bordeleau is in the NHL. Not to say they aren't good hockey players -- even if you're an AHLer at best, you're a fucking great one -- but relative to their peers it's pretty obvious why they make the cut while someone like, say, Van Der Gulik may not.
WarriorOfGandhi
Registered Broad

Post #5 by WarriorOfGandhi » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:03 pm

NHL33 wrote:That requires no fighting. There's a reason why someone like John Scott or Patrick Bordeleau is in the NHL. Not to say they aren't good hockey players -- even if you're an AHLer at best, you're a fucking great one -- but relative to their peers it's pretty obvious why they make the cut while someone like, say, Van Der Gulik may not.

let's not kid ourselves, Bordeleau is not in the NHL due to his hockey talents. He's on Colorado's roster because he's willing to take some other dude's fist to his cranium. So are Parros, Orr, Sestito, Dorsett, Reaves, etc. The margin between them and a top-line AHL producer may not be much, but it's definitive, just like the margin between, say, Crosby and Ribeiro.

VDG will never be confused with a good, or even an average NHLer, but he managed to produce nearly 50% more in 46 career games than Bordeleau has in 71. That's worth more than a thousand fights and a thousand theoretical momentum swings in my book.
WarriorOfGandhi
Registered Broad

Post #6 by WarriorOfGandhi » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Alex Jones

Post #7 by Alex Jones » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:16 pm

I like fighting, just because I think that it's entertaining to watch.

But I don't pretend like it really does anything to deter illegal hits. Or somehow magically swing the momentum of a game. Or provide anything other than bloodsport entertainment. I like it because sometimes it's fun to watch two grown men beat the living shit out each other over virtually nothing.

The only deterrence in the league should be the possibility of league action, not the theoretical threat of a potential fight against someone who may or may not be tougher than you that you may or may not beat up anyway.
Life's like a dice game and I'm in to win.

MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 164 times
Received rep: 427 times

Post #8 by MP » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:34 pm

I like in game fighting due to the game's intensity or reactionary to some action, but dislike guys skating around trying to start a fight or staged fighting off the face off.

Both of which should lead to a game ejection, a 5 min instigator penalty, and lengthy suspension at the refs discretion. Then remove the current instigator rule.
ABasin

Post #9 by ABasin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:26 pm

Masterplan wrote:I like in game fighting due to the game's intensity or reactionary to some action, but dislike guys skating around trying to start a fight or staged fighting off the face off.

Agreed completely.

The two heavyweights staging a fight at a faceoff is particularly silly, IMO. It serves no purpose.
NHL33

Post #10 by NHL33 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:38 pm

WarriorOfGandhi wrote:let's not kid ourselves, Bordeleau is not in the NHL due to his hockey talents. He's on Colorado's roster because he's willing to take some other dude's fist to his cranium. So are Parros, Orr, Sestito, Dorsett, Reaves, etc. The margin between them and a top-line AHL producer may not be much, but it's definitive, just like the margin between, say, Crosby and Ribeiro.

VDG will never be confused with a good, or even an average NHLer, but he managed to produce nearly 50% more in 46 career games than Bordeleau has in 71. That's worth more than a thousand fights and a thousand theoretical momentum swings in my book.

I don't disagree with any of that nor was implying otherwise.
WarriorOfGandhi
Registered Broad

Post #11 by WarriorOfGandhi » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:43 pm

misread your post. Disregard. Posting tits instead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WarriorOfGandhi
Registered Broad

Post #12 by WarriorOfGandhi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:24 am

you're not fooling anyone.
pedrospecialk
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #13 by pedrospecialk » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:21 pm

[RIGHT]Image[/RIGHT]
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
NHL33

Post #14 by NHL33 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:26 pm

I'm not thankful at all. Nobody cares about Aston Villa. Get that horse maneuvers in the dark out of here.
stan:getz

Post #15 by stan:getz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:35 pm

I care about aston villa
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[CENTER][font="Trebuchet MS"][color="#4169e1"]Do not fuck with me[/color][/font][/CENTER]

Return to “2001 Stanley Cup Champion Colorado Avalanche”